Happy New Year

Talk about anything in here.

Happy New Year

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:07 am

Well... It's New Years.

For me, anyhow. Yay. I spent it counting down on facebook and watching Everybody Hates Chris on FoxLife.

What's everyone else doing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:53 am

We're having a soup dinner. My wife, housemates, and I are having some very close friends over for soup and drinking. My wife is intent on enjoying Martinis which she has never tried before. Me? I hate 'em. I have several bottles of whiskey (Including a freshly purchased Bushmills Black Bush), a bottle of Barleywine, a sixpack of Schalfy Extra Special Bitter, and a variety pack of Sam Adams that my lovely wife purchased for me to offer me some solace in the face of so much vodka.

My housemates got stuff for margaritas too. It comes in a bucket. lol

Is the intention to get drunk? Not especially, but we all enjoy the stuff.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:40 am

Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu!

From my Norskie side, Godt Nytt År!

And from my wife, (and myself as an adoptive Filipino): Manigong Bagong Taon!

And in that bizarre tongue known as Texan, it is said as
Happy New Year, Y'all!

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1363299) wrote:We're having a soup dinner. My wife, housemates, and I are having some very close friends over for soup and drinking. My wife is intent on enjoying Martinis which she has never tried before. Me? I hate 'em. I have several bottles of whiskey (Including a freshly purchased Bushmills Black Bush), a bottle of Barleywine, a sixpack of Schalfy Extra Special Bitter, and a variety pack of Sam Adams that my lovely wife purchased for me to offer me some solace in the face of so much vodka.

My housemates got stuff for margaritas too. It comes in a bucket. lol

Is the intention to get drunk? Not especially, but we all enjoy the stuff.

Margaritas in a bucket? Heresy! Visigoths!

Eh, oh well. Martinis are liquid heaven, but the world is now full of so many 'Martinis' with stuff other than gin and vermouth in them (many of them have none of either! Short of the glass, how are they a martini?) that I almost never have one anymore.

Sam Adams is wonderful, but I have Arrogant B*st*rd Ale, Sake and Champagne. Most of the house and guest are non-drinkers, so the Ale is for me, the Champagne for midnight, and the Sake because I always have a glass of Sake on New Years.

Traditions are abundant right now in the house: while my wife is running about getting all her traditional Asian stuff ready, I'm getting started with the brisket and the black-eyed peas. (In other parts of the world, these are called 'Cow-peas'. It's bad luck to not eat these on New Year's in Texas. The theory is, this is the poorest of poor food. If you don't get eating it out of the way on New Year's, you may find yourself eating it later in the year! Brisket happens to be one of the least desirable cuts of beef, so having it for New Year's may have started from the same theory.) And, I'll be doing the rice pudding (it's a Norwegian thing) a little later.

My wife has a bunch of different round fruits in bowls around the house. I don't know the purpose behind that, but it's a Filipino thing. For the same purpose, she's making siopao (that's the same thing that Japanese call 'manju', or pork buns. Basically pork inside a steamed roll.)

And, she will be doing spaghetti and pancit later (both of which have long noodles, imparting long life.)

And we will be partying and karaoke-ing and whatever until well after Midnight here. That's Norwegian, Texan, Filipino, and just about everywhere else, I guess.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ADXC » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:49 am

Well, we haven't exactly gotten ours yet, but we're getting close.

Today I went to have lunch at Parker's(A BBQ restaurant) with my dad and granddaddy.

I suppose I'll be watching the Twilight Zone all day. Then when the clock stikes 12 we will clang our glasses(filled with Red Grape juice. Couldn't get white grape juice this year.) together and then eat some crackers with cheese. And wish a good new year.
ADXC

Postby thisiskris89 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:06 am

May the Lord bless you all in the new year!
i float like a cloud and sting like a paper cut!:thumb:
thisiskris89

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:32 am

Right now, I'm going through pictures and deleting ones that I don't need.

Later I'm going to flip between The Three Stooges marathon, Twilight Zone marathon and college football bowl games.

Will be watching the Va Tech vs Tenn game at 7:30 tonight.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1363304) wrote:Akemashite Omedetou Gozaimasu!

From my Norskie side, Godt Nytt Å]

And from my wife, (and myself as an adoptive Filipino): [I]Manigong Bagong Taon!

And in that bizarre tongue known as Texan, it is said as
Happy New Year, Y'all!

Margaritas in a bucket? Heresy! Visigoths!

Eh, oh well. Martinis are liquid heaven, but the world is now full of so many 'Martinis' with stuff other than gin and vermouth in them (many of them have none of either! Short of the glass, how are they a martini?) that I almost never have one anymore.

Sam Adams is wonderful, but I have Arrogant B*st*rd Ale, Sake and Champagne. Most of the house and guest are non-drinkers, so the Ale is for me, the Champagne for midnight, and the Sake because I always have a glass of Sake on New Years.

Traditions are abundant right now in the house: while my wife is running about getting all her traditional Asian stuff ready, I'm getting started with the brisket and the black-eyed peas. (In other parts of the world, these are called 'Cow-peas'. It's bad luck to not eat these on New Year's in Texas. The theory is, this is the poorest of poor food. If you don't get eating it out of the way on New Year's, you may find yourself eating it later in the year! Brisket happens to be one of the least desirable cuts of beef, so having it for New Year's may have started from the same theory.) And, I'll be doing the rice pudding (it's a Norwegian thing) a little later.

My wife has a bunch of different round fruits in bowls around the house. I don't know the purpose behind that, but it's a Filipino thing. For the same purpose, she's making siopao (that's the same thing that Japanese call 'manju', or pork buns. Basically pork inside a steamed roll.)

And, she will be doing spaghetti and pancit later (both of which have long noodles, imparting long life.)

And we will be partying and karaoke-ing and whatever until well after Midnight here. That's Norwegian, Texan, Filipino, and just about everywhere else, I guess.

My brand of choice is a local Brewpub turned Microbrewery called Schalfly's. The founders pushed for the laws banning brewpubs to be repealed in our state back in 89. When the laws were finally removed in 90, they already had equipment, a location, and a batch ready to start selling. lol. They're actually really solid with a lot of different varieties and flavors. I had the ESB a few weekends ago at their taproom and brought some bottles home for tonight. Beyond that, it's Whiskey for me. Couldn't get behind Sake, but I'm always up for a Whiskey regardless of what kind it is.

Dunno if I mentioned, but we're doing a soup dinner between four couples this year. My lovely wife is providing Chicken and Dumplings for which I am EXCEEDINGLY excited. My housemates have Tortilla Soup on the mixer, another couple is bringing a desert strawberry soup, and we're all hoping the fourth couple decides not to make Hot and Sour Soup.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Makachop^^128 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

yay! we are going to play risk! and settlers of catan.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby blkmage » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:03 pm

I'm at Urbana 09 and I'll be ringing in 2010 by having communion with 16000 other brothers and sisters in Christ.
blkmage

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Tonight, I will be getting together with some friends to celebrate the new year. The guys will be sharing a bottle of scotch, and the women will have margaritas. We will be toasting to the new year at midnight with champagne, of course.

Other than that, I think that one of my friends is fixated on watching the ball drop three hours late, so that will probably be on the telly. Anything else we do will likely be a mix of board games and Beatles Rock Band.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:19 pm

Tonight, probably just sit here at home, alone and bored. I dunno, maybe read a book or watch a movie. I see no reason to stay up 'til midnight if it's not a social occasion.

Tomorrow, work. Ain't it a drag.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Riggidig » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:23 pm

Me and some friends had a barbeque, then went to the beach to watch the fireworks that were shot off at midnight. It's 1:20 at the moment and we're having some cake and coffee. Hope you guys have a good one too :-)
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:05 pm

blkmage (post: 1363336) wrote:I'm at Urbana 09 and I'll be ringing in 2010 by having communion with 16000 other brothers and sisters in Christ.

09? That is sooo yesterday. (That sounds massive though.)

I went to a friend's house with a decent number of other people, and there was much Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Lips (like SingStar) occurring.
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:21 pm

Probably be playing cards with my parents and older sister :D.

Does anyone else find New Year's kind of depressing? I sort of do... ._.' I don't like saying goodbye to old years, The new year seems so open! So in a way its also exciting.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:07 pm

blkmage (post: 1363336) wrote:I'm at Urbana 09 and I'll be ringing in 2010 by having communion with 16000 other brothers and sisters in Christ.

That sounds pretty epic. Lucky you.

I'll be spending it probably just browsing the interwebs and possibly playing some Soul Calibur II with my brother. At least I can stay up this year.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:13 pm

ChristianKitsune (post: 1363365) wrote:Does anyone else find New Year's kind of depressing? I sort of do... ._.' I don't like saying goodbye to old years, The new year seems so open! So in a way its also exciting.

I look at it as a time for being thankful to God for seeing us through another year and that, no matter what happens He will be with us each and everyday through the new year.

I'm currently at work, but I will make it home before midnight to do...well...not much. Just surf the web, chat with friends, and go to bed.

Question to everyone: What are you going to watch as your first anime of 2010?
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:00 pm

Happy new years people. :) God be with you.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:00 pm

*Hugs you all*

[SIZE="6"]HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE <333[/SIZE]
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:16 pm

I'm spending it at home, with the Twilight Zone marathon, and my family around. (Except for my sister, who's too good for us and is out at a friend's party.)

As for the anime question, I've still got 3-5 episodes of Gurren Lagann to go, and if these past few episodes are any gauge, awesome is going to result. And after that, I'll probably poke around Hulu for something new. Anyway, God bless everyone through the next decade!
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby ADXC » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Happy New Years everybody and here's also to Happy New Decade! Let's make this one brighter!

~Auld Lang Syne~
ADXC

Postby NothingClever » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:50 pm

Just sitting here reflecting on the past year while I wait to make sure the fire in the wood stove is going to stay going. My family doesn't celebrate New Years so everyone else went to bed ages ago.

As for new anime, I randomly started Erin just because I ran across a link to it. I vaguely remember some positive comments somewhere on the internet so I'll give it a shot.

Hard to believe it's already 2010.
Happy New Year Everyone!!
NothingClever

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:54 pm

Ringing in one o'clock with making up my own lyrics to corny 80's music...I can't even sing, my poor friend is suffering.
Ante Bellum

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:39 pm

Spent New Year's with Arrested Development and season 5 of The Office. Not a bad way to spend it, I guess, given that I was honestly too exhausted to go anywhere. XD Happy new year!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:52 pm

Me and three friends had a midnight toast with some sparkling wine in... plastic solo cups. Haha. But oh man, was it delicious. <3
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:19 am

Coke and rum, yummy champagne, and Taboo with friends and mom. This decade better not turn out to be a slushpile of fail.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:17 am

Spent the evening in Communion with my church family. We had food from each of our respective ancestral lands, which was quite original and somewhat disconcerting. Present were representatives from France, Britain, America, Malta, Holland, Denmark, and Greece. We then argued a bit about the role of personal moral judgments for soldiers in war and exchanged Christmas presents.

I was then drafted into repairing malfunctioning electronics. In this case it involved replacing a VHS player, a breed of electronic device that still exists apparently. We also watched two fine movies, The Endurance and 84 Charing Cross Road. To cap the night off, we spent a few moments in front of a wood fire, having seen The Endurance we felt the need to do so even though none of us were actually cold.

It is now 4:14 AM, and I think that New Year has involved me in enough celebration for one evening. Cheers to you all.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Nate » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:51 am

I mostly spent it losing friends by getting in a stupid argument with them.

For a less emo answer, I also spent it plowing through episodes 39-45 of Kamen Rider Den-O and playing a bit of Earthbound on the side.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Wyntre Rose » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:43 am

Spent it with my mom and cousin watching movies. Julie and Julia, The Scarlet Pimpernel and Newsies. :) At around midnight we paused Scarlet Pimpernel and toasted with sparkling raspberry juice in plastic cups. We'd tried chocolate wine earlier as a special treat, and mom liked it. I thought it was vile. lol. So, we decided to toast with something we all enjoyed.

1st anime of the year? Hmmm....either Baccano!, Aria or Tsubasa Season 2. It'll depend on what mood I'm in when I get home tonight. :)
Wyntre Rose

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:48 am

I plowed through the first half of Princess Tutu, made dinner and then ate it with my husband, and went to bed at about 12:45 AM. Much more subdued than last year, that's for sure.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:48 am

I just stayed home and watched the festivities going on in Time Square on tv with the folks :hug:
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Next

Return to General