Makoto Shinkai's new film!!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Makoto Shinkai's new film!!

Postby Wyntre Rose » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:54 am

Yay! I love his stuff, can't wait to see this!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-12-24/distant-star-shinkai-posts-images-from-next-anime

For some reason, I was thinking I'd heard somewhere that he wasn't going to be making any more movies. SO glad I was wrong!!

Oh, and if someone's already posted this, forgive me, I didn't find anything about this already anywhere.
Wyntre Rose

Postby blkmage » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:36 am

Shinkai noted that most of his works in the past decade were stories about characters who have to part ways with those they hold dear, but he wants to take that theme further.

LOLOLOL ┐(´~`;)┌

I wonder if it'll actually be uplifting this time instead of soul-crushingly depressing.
blkmage

Postby shooraijin » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:29 am

I imagine he won't use a G4 this time. ;-)

W/r/t depressing, I have a totally different interpretation of Hoshi no Koe, but I've banged it around on other threads so I won't rehash it here.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:39 am

Oh man, the only one I've seen by him is Voices of a Distant Star. I really need to catch up.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Spike Ikari » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:52 am

The film will deal with loss like his previous feature films did, and it will also deal with how to survive that loss.

I've watched about all of Shinkai's films so far, so this doesn't surprise me. It's an important theme to explore, and one that I love in his films, but I really hope he expands or takes a new direction with it. Either way, I'm excited for it.
Spike Ikari

Postby blkmage » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:06 am

You know, thinking back on it, it was 5 Centimetres per Second that got me to take a look at Clannad and consequently getting me into the sadface romance and drama genre of anime. And when I watched, it was really sad and ruined the rest of my night and the entire next day. It's the only one of his films that did that for me, but I did watch the other two after. More than simply being good, 5 Centimetres per Second was a pretty big influence on the stuff I ended up watching afterwards.

In addition to looking forward to the beautiful art and depressing story, I'd almost forgotten about looking forward to more of Tenmon's music. It was funny when I realized that he also worked on ef after noticing some similarities in the BGM (especially in euphoric field and ebullient future).

P.S., Safari corrected my spelling of centimetres for me, good old Canadian region setting.
blkmage

Postby Spike Ikari » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:26 am

blkmage (post: 1362690) wrote:P.S., Safari corrected my spelling of centimetres for me, good old Canadian region setting.

And of course in Chrome, it corrects it to "centimeters" instead of "centimetres". Crazy American spellings. :lol:
Spike Ikari

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:58 am

Wyntre Rose wrote:For some reason, I was thinking I'd heard somewhere that he wasn't going to be making any more movies. SO glad I was wrong!

He said that in an interview about one or two years ago. Which got reported on the major anime news sites.

When he did the interview, he never said that 5 Centimeters per Second would be the last movie that he would make.

After 5 Centimeters per Second was finish, he took time off and went to London in 2008 to do some resting. Then he came back to Japan in 2009 to work on his next project.

So, he just said that he wasn't going to do anymore at the time and rest up or this could be last one. No one really knows, what's up, other then we knew that he was working on a new one, when he came back to Japan.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Oh man, that's awesome. I was under the impression that he wasn't planning on making anymore movies, too, but I'm glad to hear I was wrong! His work is so beautiful; I can't wait to see this!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1362705) wrote:He said that in an interview about one or two years ago. Which got reported on the major anime news sites.

When he did the interview, he never said that 5 Centimeters per Second would be the last movie that he would make.

After 5 Centimeters per Second was finish, he took time off and went to London in 2008 to do some resting. Then he came back to Japan in 2009 to work on his next project.

So, he just said that he wasn't going to do anymore at the time and rest up or this could be last one. No one really knows, what's up, other then we knew that he was working on a new one, when he came back to Japan.

Ah, that makes sense, then.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Spike Ikari » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:09 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1362705) wrote:He said that in an interview about one or two years ago. Which got reported on the major anime news sites.

I remember when Hayao Miyazaki said that Spirited Away was going to be his last film, and then retire, but ended up making at least two more films after a short rest. Point being, this kind of thing isn't new. Maybe it's his last, maybe it isn't, who knows?
Spike Ikari

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:30 pm

Spike Ikari wrote:I remember when Hayao Miyazaki said that Spirited Away was going to be his last film, and then retire, but ended up making at least two more films after a short rest. Point being, this kind of thing isn't new. Maybe it's his last, maybe it isn't, who knows?

Hayao Miyazaki came back, because of the death of Yoshifumi Kondô][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby ADXC » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Yes, Shinkai is back! Oh I'm so happy!

I can't wait for the next one!
ADXC

Postby Spike Ikari » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1362711) wrote:Hayao Miyazaki came back, because of the death of Yoshifumi Kondô. He hand pick Yoshifumi Kondô as the director to Whisper of the Heart and his successor. When Yoshifumi Kondō][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]

Huh. I actually didn't know that for some reason.
Spike Ikari

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews