What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Tatsu » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 pm

I finished reading "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss a bit ago. :O That's a really good book!!! :P
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][color="RoyalBlue"]"Just remember, that when you look up at the stars at night, no matter how far away you are, we're both looking at the same thing."[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Arial"][color="PaleTurquoise"]"Frowning, Chronicler opened his mouth, buth Bast held up a hand to stop him. 'No, listen. I've got it now. You meet a girl: shy, unassuming. If you tell her she's beautiful, she'll think you're sweet, but she won't believe you. She knows that beauty lies in your beholding.' Bast gave a grudging shrug. 'And sometimes that's enough.' His eyes brightened. 'But there's a better way. You show her she is beautiful. You make mirrors of your eyes, prayers of your hands against her body. It is hard, very hard, but when she truly believes you...' Bast gestured excitedly. 'Suddenly the story she tells herself in her own head changes. She transforms. She isn't [I]seen as [I]beautiful. She is [I]beautiful, seen.'"[/I][/I][/color][/I][/font]
[color="PaleTurquoise"]-The Name of the Wind[/color]
Tatsu

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:24 pm

It's time for my annual reading of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I only just started this little personal tradition last year, but it's one I think I'll keep.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ich1990 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:46 pm

[b]“Paradise Lostâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby rocklobster » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:26 pm

I agree with you 100%, ich1990.
I'm almost done reading Inkheart.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Still working on Good Omens. I'm a notoriously slow reader when it comes to novels. I'm enjoying it but I do kind of wish it would focus more on the characters I like and not the ones I dislike :P

I've also borrowed a book from a friend called The Gate to Women's Country by Sheri S. Tepper but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it through the whole thing. @_@ It's pretty...thick.

Oh and I'm also planning on starting For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway, and I still need to read more of Les Miserables...
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kkun » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaugh. Once I recover from school being over, I'm going to pick Moby Dick back up, I think. We'll see.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby KagayakiWashi » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:34 pm

Mozart in Vienna 1781-1791 by Volkmar Braunbehrens. Composer biographies amuse me, and viewing "Amadeus" (which is highly fictional) made me wanna know more about Mozart.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:29 am

Just finished Inkheart! Loved it! Now I'm reading Sunwing.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:55 pm

I purchased Camus' The Stranger today. I will read that during the Christmas break.

Then if I get to it, I wish to then start Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Silent Seraph » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Nothing which is strange for me thinking about rereading Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks which was a very good (if a little to detailed) series.
Life verse. Corinthians 9:27 [color="Cyan"]No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.[/color]

[color="Cyan"]If you pretend to feel a certain way, the feeling can become genuine all by accident.
Hei (Darker Than Black)[/color]

God. Family. Athletics.

[color="Cyan"][font="Arial Black"]M.O.E.S.-[/font][/color]Safe from the Scroll

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators and Administrators.
Silent Seraph

Postby Doubleshadow » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:58 pm

Reading Homosexuality and the Bible: Two Views by Dan O. Via and Robert AJ Gagnon.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Kkun » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm re-reading the "Fear the Hunters" arc of Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard's The Walking Dead. This is probably one of the best comic series out there right now (though it is DEFINITELY not for kids..and probably not for a lot of teenagers and adults, either. It's fairly nihilistic).
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:27 am

I just started Inkspell, the second book in Cornelia Funke's Inkheart trilogy.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Alice » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:38 pm

I am re-reading Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet, by M. C. Beaton. I'm also working on a book about simplifying your life, and another mystery by Stuart M. Kaminsky. :) (I don't have the titles right here, though.)
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:18 pm

I've started The Cossacks by Leo Tolstoy. My first Tolstoy, yay! XD I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but I've learned to give Russian novels some time. Like...a lot of time. I expect it'll get really good later on.

I'm also reading a collection of poetry by Sylvia Plath. I'm not much of a poet, so it's kind of all going over my head, but oh well.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 pm

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1360117) wrote:I've started The Cossacks by Leo Tolstoy. My first Tolstoy, yay! XD I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but I've learned to give Russian novels some time. Like...a lot of time. I expect it'll get really good later on.

I'm also reading a collection of poetry by Sylvia Plath. I'm not much of a poet, so it's kind of all going over my head, but oh well.

Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are some amazing writers, aren't they? :D They're good at being very very long... haha.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:44 am

I'm taking a break from the grown-up, diversely well-read intellectual stuff just long enough to chew on some popcorn fiction. To that end, I am reading Needful Things by Stephen King.

edit.
You know what, to be honest I don't feel like reading that one. Having read the bulk of it before, I remember enough of it that it would just be a chore to read through the three-quarters of the book that I already have done just to get to what I haven't read yet, but I've forgotten too much to be able to pick up where I left off and finish it from there. So that one's pretty much ruined for me. However, as luck would have it, there was a book sale going on at the library today, and, still being in the mood for a Stephen King novel, I happened to find Pet Sematary, as well as The Dark Half. I also found Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes, and two Doctor Who stories on (laugh if you must) VHS.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1360178) wrote:I'm taking a break from the grown-up, diversely well-read intellectual stuff just long enough to chew on some popcorn fiction.

Seconded! Reading Orson Scott Card's Ender's Shadow. I loved Ender's Game, and I am really digging this one too. Bean is a very interesting character to follow. For anyone who likes sci-fi light reading/young adult novels these is good stuff.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:06 am

Just started the Oath.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Song_of_Storms » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:14 pm

[SIZE="1"]I'm reading Tom Sawyer for school. Overall, its slightly enjoyable, so far. Their dialect still annoys me. >.>

-also having to re-read C. S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters for yet another course. Not that I mind, I loved Screwtape Letters. I'm looking forward to see how I view it from the perspective of now being Catholic. ^^

I just bought Brave Story, but I'm not going to begin it till after Christmas. I have too much to read! @~@[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

I feel very much the same about this as I did about the first volume of Malazan Book of the Fallen. Despite a novel's worth of background, the beginning still swarms you with new terms and it takes a number of scenes for the plot to actually get around to anything engaging. But the world-building is so comprehensive that it's worth it, and now that I'm past the beginning I am enjoying it again.

Regrettably, my interlibrary loan on this title took a while, so in the meantime I have read...

Eldest by Christopher Paolini

This will be the last book of the series that I read. If anyone knows the word count of the novel I would be interested, simply to know how many words were spent on the number of events that actually occur. Off-hand I'd guess it's over 200k, but my estimates are skewed toward books with smaller text.

That having been said, I will leave everyone with a quote from an Eragon fan-site regarding the main character's ludicrous infatuation with a certain elven princess:
Inheriwiki (emphasis added) wrote:Eragon expressed his deep feelings for her on many occasions, but because of the broad age gap between them, her fear of Eragon distracting himself from more pressing matters, and the fact that Eragon hadn't spent more than a few months with her, she chose to reject his advances.

I find this unduly amusing.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:37 am

Just started Inkdeath, the final book in the Inkheart trilogy.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby animeguild53 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:45 am

just started Xtreme Calling... i'm sure i'll be learning a lot... praise GOD!
[color="black"][SIZE="1"]
When I fall, [color="White"]HE[/color] lifts me up!
When I fail, [color="White"]HE[/color] forgives!
When I am [color="White"]weak[/color], HE is strong!
[color="White"]When I am lost, HE is the way![/color]
[color="White"]When I am afraid, HE is my cou[/color]rage!
When I [color="White"]stumble, HE[/color] steadies me!
When I am [color="White"]hurt[/color], HE heals me!
When I am[color="White"] broke[/color]n, HE mends me!
When I am [color="White"]blind[/color], HE leads me!
When I am [color="White"]hung[/color]ry, HE feeds me!
When I face [color="White"]trial[/color]s, HE is with me!
When I face [color="White"]pers[/color]ecution, HE shields me!
When I face [color="White"]prob[/color]lems, HE comforts me!
When I face [color="White"]loss[/color], ]HE provides for me!
When I face [color="White"]Deat[/color]h, HE carries me Home![/SIZE]

from http://emailministry.org/stories2.asp?id=1481[/color]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[color="Red"]... i'm a CHRISTian who happens to be a Student...[/color]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
animeguild53

Postby Silent Seraph » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:50 am

Prophet of Yonwood- City of Ember Book 3 (prequel)

So far its a pretty good series but this book is slow in starting unlike the other books.
Life verse. Corinthians 9:27 [color="Cyan"]No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.[/color]

[color="Cyan"]If you pretend to feel a certain way, the feeling can become genuine all by accident.
Hei (Darker Than Black)[/color]

God. Family. Athletics.

[color="Cyan"][font="Arial Black"]M.O.E.S.-[/font][/color]Safe from the Scroll

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators and Administrators.
Silent Seraph

Postby That Dude » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:41 am

I just finished
Humility -by- Andrew Murrey.
A christian classic by one of those "old dead guys" whom I love so much. It was a very helpful book, it reminds you that though things may seem to suck, we can use our weakness to glorify Christ, and that we should strive to remain in our weak state so that we are fully relying on God for everything and not so focused on ourselves.

I'm just about to start Absolute Surrender -by- Andrew Murrey.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Chaos Aroura » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:00 pm

I've been re-reading the "Cirque du Freak" series. I know they recently made a movie, but I heard it was really bad...

It's about a boy, Darren, who goes to a freak show and sees a spider there that he instantly wants. He's always loved spiders, so he goes back to the show one night and steals this spider who belongs to a vampire. The spider then bites his best friend. To get the cure for the spider bite and save his friend's life he has to become the assistant to the vampire, Larten Crepsley.

I really love this series, and only gave a description of the first book so others can read it ^-^ It's really good!
[color="MediumTurquoise"]"But the time is coming—it has, in fact, come—when what you're called will not matter and where you go to worship will not matter. It's who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth. That's the kind of people the Father is out looking for: those who are simply and honestly themselves before him in their worship. God is sheer being itself—Spirit. Those who worship him must do it out of their very being, their spirits, their true selves, in adoration."
John 4 23-24[/color]

[color="SandyBrown"]Count: You have one day sir. 25 measly hours!
Leon: …24
Count:…what?
Leon: There are 24 hours in a day.
Count: I believe, sir, that you are thinking of February!
~*~~*~~*~~*~
Count: I don't have a son, I'm not married... I may be a villain; but I don't fool around!!

-Neil Simon's "Fools"[/color]
[color="MediumTurquoise"]
"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord. 'Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.'"
Jeremiah 29:11[/color]
Chaos Aroura

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Just finished: Conspiracy of the Rich - Robert Kiyosaki. Interesting read.
Mithrandir

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:57 am

Now reading the first Warriors book, Into the Wild.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:58 am

Mithrandir (post: 1361737) wrote:Just finished: Conspiracy of the Rich - Robert Kiyosaki. Interesting read.

What could that have been about?
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Just started Stone of Tears, the second book in the Sword of Truth series.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner