Ghibli's next film adapts Mary Norton's The Borrowers

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Ghibli's next film adapts Mary Norton's The Borrowers

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:59 pm

ANN

ANN wrote:The official website for Studio Ghibli's next project, an adaptation of Mary Norton's The Borrowers (Yukashita no Kobito-tachi) novel, has launched on Thursday. Studio co-founder Hayao Miyazaki has been planning the Karigurashi no Arrietty (The Borrower Arrietty) film since July of 2008, but as previously revealed by producer Toshio Suzuki, Miyazaki is not directing the next film. 36-year-old animator Hiromasa Yonebayashi is making his directorial debut with this project. The film will open in the summer of 2010.

The original, Carnegie Medal-winning 1952 novel revolves around the "little people" — 10 centimeters (about 4 inches) tall — who live underneath the floorboards of an English country house. (The Japanese title literally means "the little people under the floor.") 14-year-old Arrietty and the rest of the Clock family live in peaceful anonymity as they make their own home from items "borrowed" from the house's human inhabitants. However, life changes for the Clocks when a human boy discovers Arrietty. Ghibli's adaptation will transport the setting from 1950s England to the Tokyo neighborhood of Koganei in 2010. (Koganei in western Tokyo is the home of a number of Japanese animation studios, including Ghibli itself.)

Yonebayashi was an assistant animation director of Ghibli's Gedo Senki, and he was an animation director on the Mei to Konekobasu theatrical short. He was also a key animator on Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, and Spirited Away. Yonebayashi joined Ghibli in 1996, but Miyazaki and fellow Ghibli founder Isao Takahata had been contemplating an adaptation of The Borrowers for about 40 years.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:32 pm

ADSGKJDSLKG. THAT IS SO AWESOME. I LOVED that movie/book as a kid!! I can't wait to see what Ghibli does with it!!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:41 pm

I agree! This sounds fantastic!!
Wyntre Rose

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:51 am

Interesting idea, but I have to wonder if the adaptation will be as loose as Howl's Moving Castle was.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:16 am

It's going to have, no doubt, lots of slimy-gooey ghost-like creatures and some pretty amazing visual stuff that makes no sense, yet still seem awesome. ;) :P
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby wildpurplechild » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:32 pm

Sounds cool, I either read the book or saw the movie, (can't rember, long time ago) wasn't there also an animated TV show? I'm sure this movie will be waaay better than the that.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm familiar with The Borrowers and as a child enjoyed the books, TV series and movie but as an adult I'm a bit disappointed with this choice. I'd love to see what Studio Ghibli would do with the Narnia books. Anyway, it's Studio Ghibli so it's more likely to be awesome than crap.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Nate » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:33 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Interesting idea, but I have to wonder if the adaptation will be as loose as Howl's Moving Castle was.

Well Miyazaki isn't doing this one so who knows.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby S.M.O.G. » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Oh! Halfway through the article I rememberd I saw this movie a long time ago! I can totally se Ghibli doing this. I've only actually seen Howl's Moving Castle, but I've seen enough trailers and stuff (I think that the rest of this post now has no credibelity) to know this is somthing they could do and do well.
S.M.O.G.

Postby rocklobster » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:10 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1361188) wrote: I'd love to see what Studio Ghibli would do with the Narnia books.

I'm not sure this would be wise. I mean, I doubt there are any Christians working for Ghibli.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby goldenspines » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:07 am

rocklobster (post: 1361464) wrote:I'm not sure this would be wise. I mean, I doubt there are any Christians working for Ghibli.

Technically, Narnia can be considered either secular or Christian, depending on how you look at it. It doesn't scream "religious", which is nice, plus that makes it accessible to everyone (if they like the story, that is XD).

But that's getting off topic.
I remember the older movies of the Borrowers and I enjoyed the story (never read the book though D: ). I'm rather interested in the switch in time period and location of this version. But I'm sure Ghibli will do a nice job with it. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby ilikegir33 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:21 pm

I loved The Borrowers (the book and the movie) as a kid, and considering that the director, relative unknown Hiromasa Yonebayashi, worked on the animation for some of Miyazaki's best work (not to mention Jin-Roh and Serial Experiments Lain), I think this will be a great film.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:35 pm

rocklobster wrote:I'm not sure this would be wise. I mean, I doubt there are any Christians working for Ghibli.

That didn't stop Tatsunoko Productions making Superbook years ago and you know there was least Christians in Japan then there is now.

As for the The Borrowers, I will be happy to see it.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby S.M.O.G. » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:32 pm

goldenspines (post: 1361476) wrote:Technically, Narnia can be considered either secular or Christian, depending on how you look at it. It doesn't scream "religious", which is nice, plus that makes it accessible to everyone (if they like the story, that is XD).

I get whay you're saying, and it is good that not everything christian screams "CHRISTIAN," but non-christians adapting a story writen by a christian with christian themes risks in removing said christian themes, and could end up giving a completly different message.

Fun fact: I used the word "Christian" seven times (counting the one right there) seven times in this post.
S.M.O.G.

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:36 pm

S.M.O.G. wrote:I get whay you're saying, but non-christians adapting a story writen by a christian with christian themes risks in removing said christian themes, and could end up giving a completly different message.

They still gave the same massage in the movie, and you can't tell me that everyone that work on the Narnia movie was Christian.

I guess any book that has a Christian theme in it, and they want to make a movie. They need sit down and ask the people that work for the company if they are christian and if not, hire christian only to work on the movie.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]
Col. Roy Mustang
[/color]
[/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Nate » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:50 pm

S.M.O.G. wrote:I get whay you're saying, and it is good that not everything christian screams "CHRISTIAN," but non-christians adapting a story writen by a christian with christian themes risks in removing said christian themes, and could end up giving a completly different message.

So I guess if an atheist writes a story with atheist themes, we have to make sure there's absolutely no Christians producing it, or otherwise they could remove those atheist themes and give a completely different message.

Also, I guess we should take Superbook and The Flying House off our list of Christian anime, because non-Christians worked on those, so they don't count...right?

I don't know. I personally like to believe that God is big enough that if non-Christians adapted a Christian book, His message would still come through because He's God and He is the master of everything.

Also I believe in a God with a long white beard, a gold crown, and a long robe with lots of shiny jewels on it. He sits on a big throne in the clouds, and He's about five hundred feet tall. He talks in a real deep voice like "I...AM...GOD!" He can blow up stuff just by looking at it. This is my own, personal idea of God.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:27 pm

Okay guys, let's get back on topic. I can't imagine this conversation going down a positive road.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby S.M.O.G. » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:35 pm

1) I did not say there that it has to be only christians working on it, but there should be a christian in a position where the christian message will come through.

Since Narnia started this discussion, I'll use that as an example. I have no idea how many christians were involved in the making of the movie, but the christian themes were still there. However, the copyright holder (C.S Lewis' stepson) is a christian and very strict on who does what, and what changes they make. So if Ghibli adapted Narnia, I would assume that they had permision (though I think that would be obvious,) and that even if there were no christians directly involved with the project, the message would still be there because there would be somebody making sure no drastic changes were made.

2) I did not say that if a non-christian adapted a christian story, it would lose the message, I said it would risk losing the message. Look at Lord of the Rings. it was written by a christian author, with christian themes, but adapted by a non-christian.

The movies still contain christian themes, because they are in the story itself. the only way to take out those themes would be to change the story itself. Yes some of them were lost, but that was mostly due to time cuts, normal for any book-to-movie conversion.

Moral of the story: just be carful and use common sense. :)

EDIT: Oops, I guess Radical Dreamer posted while I was typing. Sorry!
S.M.O.G.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:49 pm

Being one of the (seemingly few) people who thought the Ghibli adaptation of Howl's Moving Castle was every bit as good as the original, and the Ghibli adaptation of Tales from Earthsea was better than the original, I am extremely excited to see another Ghibli adaptation.

I've never been a huge fan of the Borrowers (mainly because the movie traumatized me for some reason when I saw it at the age of five), but since anything Ghibli is automatically awesome, I think this will be too.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews