Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby S.M.O.G. » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:03 pm

FMA is great, but I wouldn't classify it as fighting. It's more af a. . .drama? Thirller? Suspence? Anyways, storyline takes focus, and the fighing just seems to be a small part of it.

I'll have to check into Bakuman. I knew it was from the artist of Death Note, but didn't know it was the same auther too.
S.M.O.G.

Postby Riggidig » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi guys. I'm looking for some romantic manga, preferably where the guy and the girl are only friends, but then realise that they love each other. Anyone got any recommendations?
[color="Yellow"]My deviantART Gallery[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby blkmage » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:27 pm

Riggidig (post: 1345137) wrote:Hi guys. I'm looking for some romantic manga, preferably where the guy and the girl are only friends, but then realise that they love each other. Anyone got any recommendations?

Does it have to be (1) friends before the start of the manga or is (2) meeting -> friends -> romance acceptable?

For (1), there's Lovely Complex and Special A. (2) actually has a few that I like more than the others: Kimi no Todoke, Kare Kano, and Bitter Virgin.

Lovely Complex is about a short guy and tall girl who are kinda friends. Special A is about the top two students of the school and the girl is always second and trying to beat the guy at anything.

Kimi no Todoke is about a girl who's kind of an outcast (because she's introverted and kind of creepy) and is befriended by the most popular guy (who's really nice and outgoing) in the class. Bitter Virgin is about a guy who accidentally discovers the girl's really dark secret. Kare Kano is about a guy and a girl who are the top of their class who are putting on masks as perfect people for various reasons.
blkmage

Postby Riggidig » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Thanks blkmage. Will look into those :-)

[color="DarkOrange"][font="Century Gothic"]"Life is not about NOT getting hit. It's about learning to TAKE a hit, rolling with the punches, and at its worst, learning to get up after a knockout.[/font][/color]
Riggidig

Postby S.M.O.G. » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Can someone recommend me a few good one shots?

And I'm a big fan of Code Geass and Death Note. Are there any good similar series? Like, a strategy war kinda thing?
S.M.O.G.

Postby MasterDias » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:47 pm

S.M.O.G. (post: 1347797) wrote:Can someone recommend me a few good one shots?

Souten no Koumori

By the FMA author. I don't read that many oneshots, but I liked this one a fair amount. I wouldn't mind if this was her next serialization after FMA.

And I'm a big fan of Code Geass and Death Note. Are there any good similar series? Like, a strategy war kinda thing?

Bloody Monday could be considered similar to an extent.
It is worth taking a look at if you like geniuses trying to outmaneuver each other and such.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:08 pm

S.M.O.G. (post: 1347797) wrote:And I'm a big fan of Code Geass and Death Note. Are there any good similar series? Like, a strategy war kinda thing?

Liar Game is exactly this. It's actually fairly blatant and obvious about this fact. There's also Mirai Nikki, which has it to a lesser degree, but that sort of thing is still present.
blkmage

Postby animeantics » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:02 pm

To anyone needing suggestions, one I could suggest STRONGLY right now is Tsubasa RESERvoir CHRoNiCLE. I've read it so much that I've actually remembered the full title and which letters to capitilize. ;) One of my all time favorites is Yotsuba&! which is hilarious and completley clean, except for a D-word in volume 4 or 5...I just read volume 6 last night, I saw it at the library and sprinted to it XD
Vampire Knight is pretty amazing, it's my favorite Shojo Series. It's great because there's a ltitle of everything~nice plot, action, romance, etc.
Beauty Pop is a favorite ^_^ it's really clean and a nice light read~
I know this is almost stereotypical, but I love Bleach. I really, really love that manga. It was my very first manga so it's kinda special XD
animeantics

Postby Okami94 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:56 am

Hi everyone! I am trying to get a friend of mine into Anime/Manga. I asked her what her favorite genres are, and her top ones (in no particular order) are: Fantasy, Sci-fi, Romance, and Teen life. I know there are TONS of mangas out there that are perfect for her, but this would be her first real exposure to this sort of thing and i want to get it right. I found a few that might be good: Bakuman, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumia, Naruto(maybe) and Azumunga Diaoh. So any help on this would be great!
John 16:33 <-- favorite verse!
Yeah,....I'm an anime freak.....:P
Okami94

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:04 am

FullMetal Alchemist would probably be an excellent first Manga. It covers the fantasy/sci-fi angle, and some people might even concoct a little romance in there (very little though). The characters and plot are well conceived and delivered, and the fight scenes are better and more fluid than almost all other Shounen series of its caliber.

However...

How old is she? Her age might come into play, since FullMetal Alchemist is occasionally dark and deals with unsettling subject matter (human experimentation, war guilt, genocide, self-sacrifice, etc.). Also, she should read at least the first two volumes together, mainly because it's the second that starts to bring in the real meat of the story.

If she's old enough I might toss Pluto in there as well. Sci-fi murder mystery thriller (with a lot of nostalgia she probably won't have).
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:51 pm

I'd suggest against Bakuman. It's great, but it's a series about the creation and serialization of manga in Japan. It assumes that you already have basic knowledge about manga, its various genres and demographics and the tropes associated with them, and the magazines that they're serialized in. That is, it's not a great manga for someone who has no prior exposure to manga.

I'd also consider suggesting Yotsuba&! over Azumanga Daioh. I feel like a longer form chapter format would be better to introduce someone to manga rather than a four-panel strip, but I that's just my gut feeling which could be entirely off.

I'm also not sure about Haruhi. Of course, I don't know much about the manga, but the media under discussion are always the anime, which benefits from the great cast and animation, and the light novel, which benefits from way more of Kyon's narration and possibly more obscure references (graph theory!).
blkmage

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:32 pm

May I ask the age range of your friend ^^? That may help a little bit more as well ^^

Sailor Moon covers all of those ^__^

The protagonist of Sailor Moon, Usagi Tsukino, lives as an ordinary middle school girl until she is found by a talking cat named Luna. Through Luna, Usagi learns that the world is about to be attacked by a Dark Kingdom that had appeared once before, long ago, and destroyed the kingdom of the moon. Her dormant powers are then awakened to defend the Earth against the coming onslaught, and she is led to a number of friends who join her in the battle.

Usagi fights using the identity of Sailor Moon, and as the story progresses she learns more and more about the enemies which face her and the evil force that is sending them. Gradually she discovers the truth about her own past life, her destined true love, and the possibilities for the future of the Solar System.

The plot spans five major story arcs, each of them represented in both the manga and anime, usually under different names:

1. the Dark Kingdom arc (Sailor Moon)
2. the Black Moon arc (Sailor Moon R)
3. the Infinity arc (Sailor Moon S)
4. the Dream arc (Sailor Moon Supers)
5. the Stars arc (Sailor Stars)

The anime added an additional minor arc at the start of the second series, and spent the first few episodes of Sailor Stars wrapping up the plot from the previous series.
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:32 pm

I totally second Lucky's Sailor Moon suggestion. I love Sailor Moon. ^_^

She might be into Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and D.N.Angel. Both are packed with fantasy, sci-fi, romance, AND teen life (more so D.N.Angel for the teen life, but I'd say that the main couple in Tsubasa seem pretty young too). Both of them have reviews on here - Tsubasa has a review for the manga and D.N.Angel has one for the anime. I prefer the D.N.Angel manga over the anime, but I would say that the manga's mostly as clean as the anime (at least to the point I've gotten to).

And while it would be nice to know how old your friend is so it can help us with suggesting titles, D.N.Angel and Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE manga are mostly clean. There is a bit of mild language (mostly in Tsubasa), but it's far from as bad as it could be. I'd say most people who are 13+ could read this.

Also, try Magic Knight Rayearth if she likes Sailor Moon and Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE. Magic Knight Rayearth basically take those two shows and mix them together. It's about teenage girls who are taken to a magical land to rescue a princess, much like the first season of Sailor Moon. Rayearth and Tsubasa are made by the same people, so both feature a Mokona too. :D
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Okami94 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:04 am

She is 15. I don't want to suggest titles to her that are dark or above average violence level. She wouldn't go for that. I am writing down all these suggestions! :)
John 16:33 <-- favorite verse!
Yeah,....I'm an anime freak.....:P
Okami94

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:36 pm

Okami94 (post: 1348571) wrote:She is 15. I don't want to suggest titles to her that are dark or above average violence level. She wouldn't go for that. I am writing down all these suggestions! :)

Rurouni Kenshin has lots of violence, but has a great story ^__^ Sailor Moon's violence is a bit different from your typical "violence" XDD It's hard to explain ^^ I guess it's a bit silly :-?

Hmmm, DN Angel (as was suggested above) has it's moments of violence, but it's not too often or bad at all, so I think that one is a good one ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Maokun » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:35 pm

I'd definitely recommend some of the lighthearted CLAMP's manga such as Card Captor Sakura, Angelic Layer, Wish, Clamp School Detectives and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. All of them have healthy doses of fantasy, romance and action and the art is really easy on the eyes.
Maokun

Postby MasterDias » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:57 pm

You could pick up a copy of Shonen Jump and see if anything catches her eye, particularly if you are considering Naruto, but it would be in the middle of all of the stories.

I would be tempted to second Fish's recommendation of FMA but I'm uncertain as to how "light" she likes her fantasy. FMA can be reasonably "dark," but not necessarily more so than a lot of YA fantasy/scifi.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ich1990 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:36 am

Maokun (post: 1348665) wrote:I'd definitely recommend some of the lighthearted CLAMP's manga such as Card Captor Sakura, Angelic Layer, Wish, Clamp School Detectives and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. All of them have healthy doses of fantasy, romance and action and the art is really easy on the eyes.

I would strike Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles from that list on account of violence. At the start, there is virtually none. Later in the series, however, there are impalings, severed limbs, and one case (mostly off screen) of someone having their eye ripped out and eaten.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Riggidig » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:16 pm

Not looking for oneshots specifically, but what GOOD manga can you guys recommend that doesn't have a GAZILLION volumes for the title? (preferably not more than 5 volumes)

Riggidig

Postby MasterDias » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Riggidig (post: 1349570) wrote:Not looking for oneshots specifically, but what GOOD manga can you guys recommend that doesn't have a GAZILLION volumes for the title? (preferably not more than 5 volumes)

If you don't mind religious imagery, you could try Chrono Crusade, a pretty good action title that's only 8 volumes.

If you like science fiction/suspense, you could try Pluto which is basically a re-imagining of an old Astro Boy story arc from the creator of the longer works Monster and 20th Century Boys. It's also only 8 volumes.

Nothing I can entirely recommend comes immediately to mind that is 5 volumes or less. Many of the short works I've enjoyed are series that were canceled prematurely (like Double Arts).

MasterDias

Postby Riggidig » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:01 pm

MasterDias wrote:If you don't mind religious imagery, you could try Chrono Crusade, a pretty good action title that's only 8 volumes.

If you like science fiction/suspense, you could try Pluto which is basically a re-imagining of an old Astro Boy story arc from the creator of the longer works Monster and 20th Century Boys. It's also only 8 volumes.

Nothing I can entirely recommend comes immediately to mind that is 5 volumes or less. Many of the short works I've enjoyed are series that were canceled prematurely (like Double Arts).

Ok cool thanks.

Riggidig

Postby steenajack » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Can anyone recomend me a manga that I could read. I pretty much like anything with a good storyline, a romance, comedy, and possible thought provoking themes. I'm open to both internet and print releases. I'm also trying to find a magical girl type manga/anime or mabey a Christian type series. As far as content goes:
violence: no graphic blood or gore, but I can handle fight scenes and minor blood. (ex: From Far Away/ Star Wars/ Lord of the Rings)
sex: none. minor innuendos is as far as I will go. Brief kisses are also fine. No homosexual themes, or implied things of that sort. And no corroded humor or hentai. But I can handle the Kingdom Come webmanga. As well as Heavenbound. I'm a bit more about how something is viewed or portrayed rather than just the action.
Nudity: No fanservice, but I can handle certain outfits. I can also handle undetailed nudity such as in most magical girl manga.
language: mild (ex:From Far Away, Prince of Tennis)
Religion: Nothing occultic or Harry Potter-ish. But I have read the book Eragon and was fine. I also like Avatar: The last Airbender and the Miyazaki films.
If anyone can recommend me a series on the web or in licensed in print, that would be awesome. If not, that's okay with me. I'll just do a search. :)
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby ScalpelFactory » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:49 pm

steenajack (post: 1355393) wrote:Can anyone recomend me a manga that I could read. I pretty much like anything with a good storyline, a romance, comedy, and possible thought provoking themes. I'm open to both internet and print releases. I'm also trying to find a magical girl type manga/anime or mabey a Christian type series. As far as content goes:
violence: no graphic blood or gore, but I can handle fight scenes and minor blood. (ex: From Far Away/ Star Wars/ Lord of the Rings)
sex: none. minor innuendos is as far as I will go. Brief kisses are also fine. No homosexual themes, or implied things of that sort. And no corroded humor or hentai. But I can handle the Kingdom Come webmanga. As well as Heavenbound. I'm a bit more about how something is viewed or portrayed rather than just the action.
Nudity: No fanservice, but I can handle certain outfits. I can also handle undetailed nudity such as in most magical girl manga.
language: mild (ex:From Far Away, Prince of Tennis)
Religion: Nothing occultic or Harry Potter-ish. But I have read the book Eragon and was fine. I also like Avatar: The last Airbender and the Miyazaki films.
If anyone can recommend me a series on the web or in licensed in print, that would be awesome. If not, that's okay with me. I'll just do a search. :)

Have you tried Victorian Romance Emma? It's licensed, and very innocent as well as deeply romantic. Very beautiful and well-drawn as well. This isn't a magical-girl series, but I don't read many of those, so no luck there. Hope you enjoy this title if you haven't already!
-{Bifauxnen Extraordinaire}-
-{My Cosplay LJ}-
MOES - Sig heil!
WE TAKE OUR DULLAHANS PRETTY SERIOUSLY AROUND HERE.
ScalpelFactory

Postby ScalpelFactory » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:55 pm

S.M.O.G. (post: 1347797) wrote:Can someone recommend me a few good one shots?

Hm, I read Eternal Sabbath by Fuyumi Soryo and it seemed to be a similar strategy idea. Be forewarned, however. I believe it contains some horror imagery and subverted religious imagery/naming. {Biological experimentation and Biblical naming, specifically} One of the main characters can enter the minds of others and get information/change experiences for them as he pleases. So trying to catch him proves quite difficult!
-{Bifauxnen Extraordinaire}-
-{My Cosplay LJ}-
MOES - Sig heil!
WE TAKE OUR DULLAHANS PRETTY SERIOUSLY AROUND HERE.
ScalpelFactory

Postby blkmage » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Hello, recommendation thread, I have a challenge for you.

I am currently reading Kimi ni Todoke. I really like it, but scanlations are being produced at a glacial pace. So, I am looking for another shoujo manga to keep me occupied, hopefully at a better rate, while I wait for Kimi ni Todoke. I don't care if it's currently running or finished. However, I will help you to make the best suggestions by detailing my tastes.

So I would like a series that is like the series that I already like. This includes Kare Kano (personal favourite) and Koukou Debut. Currently running series that I'm enjoying so far are Dengeki Daisy, Kimi ni Todoke, and Ouran.

Things like Special A, Moe Kare, and Koko ni Iru yo are not terrible, but aren't great either, and in the end, they don't really have much substance.

So, things I don't like. Well, I thought Aishiteruze Baby was alright, but it's not really what I'm looking for right now. I really don't like Fruits Basket or Full Moon wo Sagashite. It was a pain for me to read the early chapters and unless someone tells me that later chapters are not like the early ones and convinces me that there's something worth taking a look at, I will continue ignoring them. Skip Beat was alright but I got bored of it. And I didn't like Lovely Complex that much because the entirety of the plot is just misunderstanding and miscommunication and repeat.

tl;dr I would like a new and good shoujo manga to read.
blkmage

Postby steenajack » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:08 pm

I don't read too many shojo manga. The only one that I liked for a bit was From Far Away. It's not quite your typical shojo manga. It has action and adventure in it as well as fantasy. It's pretty clean. No sex, some fantasy violence with some blood, and only mild swears. The art is quite lovely too. I had to stop reading it due to the fact that it wasn't my kind of manga, but you might enjoy it. I hear that Kitchen Princess was good, though I've never read it myself. There is a review for it on this site in case you're curious.
Here's some more info on From Far Away: http://www.viz.com/products/products.php?product_id=2366
Here's a review:
http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2008/03/03/review-manga-romance-with-a-capital-r-from-far-away-by-kyoko-hikawa/

Hope I was of help to you. :D

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby SeraphicCharm » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:47 am

I haven't read much manga only because I don't know what's worth reading. So far I've read the first volume of Kare Kano, and a tiny bit of Shugo Chara, Rosario+Vampire, and Sola. Any thoughts as to what a beginner like me should read?
SeraphicCharm

Postby steenajack » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:08 pm

Try Hikaru no Go (it also has an anime). It is very good and very clean. There is a review here for the anime, and the content is about the same. X3! It is probably one of the best manga out there. You can also try Yotsuba&, which they also have a review for here.

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
steenajack

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:44 am

What kind of genres do you like? For genericy reccomendations that everyone needs, I would reccomend Fullmetal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin, and Ouran High School Host Club. Otherwise, I need to know some of your tastes.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Arya Raiin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 pm

If you like comedy/romance, my recommendation is Fruits Basket

For the action/drama, I like Full Metal Alchemist! ^_^

Of course thought, Naruto (especially the first story arch in my opinion) is good too. :)
Arya Raiin

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews