Anime Recommendations... to draw!

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime Recommendations... to draw!

Postby minakichan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:00 am

So, I do the artist alley every year at a couple cons, mostly selling fanart (because no one buy original art ever *tears*). Recently, my neighborhood art store was having a crazy canvas sale (two 16x20s for 10.99!!). I've never painted on canvas, so I wanted to try it; I bought a couple, but now I'm not really sure what to paint.

This is kind of selling out, but what anime are all the rage nowadays at cons? I know in Taiwan, Kuroshitsuji, Hetalia, and Vocaloid were the biggest things, so I suspect that wave is hitting the US as well. Are there any others that have crazy fans who's be willing to buy larger, more expensive works? (One of my friends does canvas paintings of Dir en Grey members, for example. Those sell like craaaaaaazy.)

Thanks!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:14 am

Yeah, you probably can't go wrong with Vocaloid, but along the same lines, I'd imagine if that's the kind of people you're going after, Umineko and Bakemonogatari are probably pretty safe bets too.
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:48 am

I know Bakemono is huge in Japan (and rightly so), but how is it on the American con scene? Like, I'm guessing that The Certain Sites I go on aren't a really good indicator of what people at cons like.

I'm going to draw Bakemono fanart anyway because the show is awesome =w= maybe not on the canvases though.

I can't watch Umineko though...... I'm easily scared D:
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:20 pm

Fruits Basket is still a favorite amongst a lot of people ^__^ So is Full Moon, FMA, Air TV, Kanon, Clannad, and some others that are escaping me... NaruttoDeathNoteBleachCodeGeass O__O

Hmm, what other major mainstream anime is there.. DBZ, Yugi-Oh, Pokemon ^^

Higurashi is a huge one as well ^^ I know it scares you though (don't blame you)... Maybe I can try to find some reference pictures for you ^^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:39 pm

OH OH OH, Soul Eater should be pretty popular over here by now and it's got some great art already too. And yeah, I'd imagine that Code Geass is still pretty popular too.

I think stuff like Bakemonogatari isn't huge like other shows over here, but you can count on there being a good chunk of fans who will be looking for that stuff. And in that category of stuff that isn't necessarily popular, but those that like it like it a lot: Moyashimon.
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:22 am

Aaah, of course, Soul Eater. A lot of fangirls really seem to be into that one, ne... maybe I should pick it up ^^;

Hmm, I can never tell with Geass because I <s>hate</s> <s>love</s> <s>hate</s> <s>love</s> <s>hate</s> <s>love</s> <s>hate</s> <s>love</s> <s>hate</s> <s>love</s> <s>hate</s> <s>love</s> <s>hate</s> <s>love</s> the show.

As for Moyashimon, I've heard doujin of it is really popular in Japan, but WHAT ON EARTH COULD IT BE ABOUT?! The adventures of Oryzae changing starch to sugar?!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:30 am

1. Find a microbiology textbook.
2. Turn one section into a Moyashimon doujin.
3. ????
4. KAMOSUZO
blkmage

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:31 pm

Hmmm, Sakugan no Shana's been making it out there ^^ Lots of fanboys... xDDD;;;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Maokun » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure you cannot possibly go wrong with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Haruhiists will purchase it basically on principle.
Maokun

Postby minakichan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:48 pm

blkmage (post: 1357603) wrote:1. Find a microbiology textbook.
2. Turn one section into a Moyashimon doujin.
3. ????
4. KAMOSUZO

>w<!

I always assumed Moyashimon doujin was like, BL of Misato and Kawahama or something *shudder*

Ah, I didn't know Shana was popular here ^^; Also, yeah Haruhi~ I'm planning on doing some Haruhi-chan stuff; I dunno if Haruhi's that big there, but it's more for fun =w=
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:54 pm

minakichan (post: 1357701) wrote:I always assumed Moyashimon doujin was like, BL of Misato and Kawahama or something *shudder*

It probably is. Even more likely, since there is a trap.

Moyashimon seems like it lends itself to 4-koma really easily.

Also, in the realm of Vocaloids, there's all sorts of stuff that are tangentially related, like Takoluka and Black Rock Shooter and stuff.

And there's also Kara no Kyoukai if you want to rope in the TYPE-MOON fans.
blkmage

Postby GeneD » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:04 am

minakichan (post: 1357324) wrote:I can't watch Umineko though...... I'm easily scared D:
I'm sure you can find a lot of non-scary stuff you can draw for Umineko and Higurashi. A large part of the time the characters are drawn cute and semi-moe (or complete moe or whatever, IDK) and if wallpaper image galleries are anything to go by these are all pretty popular.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Now that they've all been revealed, you should totally do the Homunculi from Fullmetal Alchemist.
Fish and Chips

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Oh, how could I ever forget.. You can draw Sailor Moon xDDD Seems to be an unforgettable series ^__^ Ooh, and then there's the whole Lucky Star craze ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Postby That Dude » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:07 pm

You could always do something from K-On. That one seems to be super popular. Or you could go with some of the oldies but goodies like Bebop or Trigun.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews