Gintama - is it family friendly?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Gintama - is it family friendly?

Postby Shadowfax » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:47 pm

Gintama. A fairly well-known comedy, I'm thinking about watching it soon. At least until until episode 150 or so, where I hear the story is falling apart and not funny anymore.

But my question is... is Gintama family-friendly or not?

All my usual anime-review sites with family ratings only cover finished-series. With Gintama still airing, there's not a lot of family reviews. So I'm wondering if I can watch this with my little siblings or not. :) Anyone?

Thanks in advanced! :cool:
[SIZE="1"]"This is only the beginning."[/SIZE]
Shadowfax

Postby goldenspines » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Not really. :\ Though it is very funny. XD

Gin Tama contains a lot of crude and sexual jokes. This is a shame, since the anime's plot and characters are great and quite entertaining.
Just to be totally sure, you can watch the first few episodes on your own and see what you think. But in my opinion (I have read a majority of the manga and some of the anime), I don't think the series is appropriate for anyone under 16.
I don't know how old your siblings are, but yes. ^_^

Er, I can't think of any actually good suggestions to give you that are like Gin Tama (only cleaner) right now, though. D:
goldenspines

Postby ich1990 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:32 pm

I don't know anything about Gintama, but if you are looking for a humor anime I would recommend Cromartie High School. Its humor is pretty random, but if you have seen any Monty Python you will know what to expect.

As for content, Cromartie has no sex/nudity, mild violence, and moderate swearing throughout the first twenty episodes that I have seen. There are two f-words in the first episode (dub), I believe, but it gets lighter later in the series, dropping a handful of mild profanities each episode.

If you can, watch the dub as the joke delivery is better.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Shadowfax » Wed May 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Question! To anyone who's still watching Gintama (I hope there's a few >.<)... which episodes after #100 are worth seeing?

I just reached episode 99 and am watching #100 tonight. AWESOME funny series so far. :sweat:

If you don't know what Gintama is, watch this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjx4XgtSlZQ

But I hear that after #100, a new director takes over, and you get part super-boring filler arcs and part super-awesome memorable arcs. Gintama basically fulfilled its dream and turned into Bleach. :grin:

So which arcs or episodes are worth seeing?
[SIZE="1"]"This is only the beginning."[/SIZE]
Shadowfax

Postby airichan623 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:32 pm

for comedies i recommend azumanga daioh and lovely complex. i know their really shojo-ish, but they are hilarious.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews