Any perfectly light anime?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Any perfectly light anime?

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:54 am

Can't think of any perfectly light anime... Sailormoon classic gets kind of depressing toward the end (oh, and it's violent to a degree... I guess), Excel Saga is full of dark humor in addition to the hyper craziness, and I've heard there is one completely serious episode (though I didn't see it), Azumanga Daioh ends in tears (though it's not entirely sad), School Rumble was mostly light despite Harima and Tenma's comic angst, but had some serious downer moments in the last 1/3 of the manga, which the ending OVA hinted at, even freaking Lucky Star has Konata's mom...

Does anyone die a tragic death in Hamtaro? What about Chibi Maruko-chan? I've only seen it in raw Japanese, so I'm not entirely clear on all the relationships (I can't remember if she's got a dad at home) but is there anything tragic in that? Shin chan (Japanese version, I mean) was pretty light, I guess... I mean, yeah, they lost their house, but they got it back, so... I haven't seen close to the whole thing (Shin chan is pretty long)

I'm starting to get the idea that every anime will have some dark, sad moment in it, though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby blkmage » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:22 am

Mostly comedies: Hidamari Sketch doesn't have any, IIRC, and neither does GA:GADC. The first season of Minami-ke (the only season that matters and is good) doesn't either. And Maria+Holic and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei might trick you into thinking there are such moments, only to pull the rug underneath you at the last moment and laugh in your face (the ending of SZS season 1, episode 11, for example).
blkmage

Postby battletech » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:40 am

Nanaka 6/17
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Falx » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:31 am

Seconding Sketchbook and Hidamari, and adding GA: Gejiutska Design Class as well as Ichigo Mashimaro (Strawberry Marshmallow), they're all pure lightness of heart.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Akemijo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:47 pm

"Chi's New home" is pretty light to me. Nice kitty that Chi is.
Akemijo

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:45 pm

Bottle Fairy is pretty light (but short). Snow Fairy Sugar doesn't get dark or anything, though there are some sad moments (but nothing like mind-numbingly depressing).

I really can't think of any dark moments in Ranma 1/2, usually the stuff like that is played for laughs (I remember the episode where Ryoga learned a technique that fed off of sadness, and so he got really depressed and used it to beat Ranma, but then he got happy that he won and he couldn't use the technique anymore...then Ranma learned it and it led to a great fight where they kept using the technique on each other alternately).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Ouran High School Host Club, unless you count the last two episodes(which I don't, as I don't think of them as dark per say, just not happy-go-lucky), is 100% cheery. I could go further in, but I don't feel like it right now.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby blkmage » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:01 pm

[quote="Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1355493)"]Ouran High School Host Club, unless you count the last two episodes(which I don't, as I don't think of them as dark per say, just not happy-go-lucky), is 100%]

Actually, I had thought about this too, but decided it didn't quite work. Ouran actually has some fairly uncheery material. For instance, other than the final two episodes, there's the exploration of Kaoru's and Hikaru's identities and how they try to define themselves as individuals apart from each other and Tamaki's and Kyouya's own respective struggles with their roles in their families. And beyond the anime, the manga actually heads further away from comedy and well into shoujo drama territory.

I can't believe I forgot Aria, but if you thought Azumanga Daioh's ending was teary, well, maybe Aria wasn't what you were thinking of either.
blkmage

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:11 pm

What about Azumanga Daioh? That's pretty light-hearted. And so's My Neighbor Totoro.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Akemijo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Nate (post: 1355491) wrote:Bottle Fairy is pretty light (but short). Snow Fairy Sugar doesn't get dark or anything, though there are some sad moments (but nothing like mind-numbingly depressing).

I really can't think of any dark moments in Ranma 1/2, usually the stuff like that is played for laughs (I remember the episode where Ryoga learned a technique that fed off of sadness, and so he got really depressed and used it to beat Ranma, but then he got happy that he won and he couldn't use the technique anymore...then Ranma learned it and it led to a great fight where they kept using the technique on each other alternately).

Lol I was gonna mention Bottle fairy, but to me it got boring kind of fast :/

There's also Penguin No Mondai, but I've only seen the first episode and a little of the second so far. It's one of the most ridiculous short anime's ever. Each episode is kind of short though.

Also Digi Charat. Both of these mock seriousness and then go nuts.
Akemijo

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Jagainu-kun.
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1355510) wrote:Jagainu-kun.

But they get attacked by a vampire apple bat! I dunno about you, but I always figured that was way scary.

XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:39 am

Don't forget the last episode where they all die in a flood.
Akemijo wrote:Lol I was gonna mention Bottle fairy, but to me it got boring kind of fast :/

Bottle Fairy was okay as far as anime goes. Not a whole lot happened but it was short, and fairly amusing. The boring-ness was to me offset by the fact that it was only 13 episodes long and each episode was 10 minutes or so.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby minakichan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:06 pm

I was gonna say Doraemon, but then I realized how TRAGIC it really is.

Seconding Chii's Sweet-- oh wait, there's that graphic scene of Chi at the vet, never mind.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:36 am

Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars is pretty light and easy going, even though it DOES boast a plot about interstellar politics and giant robots.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby That Dude » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:57 pm

Grave Of The Fireflies :evil:
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:11 pm

That Dude (post: 1355938) wrote:Grave Of The Fireflies :evil:

I LOL'd. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:38 pm

"What? It's Studio Ghibli isn't? How could that POSSIBLY go wrong?"
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby steenajack » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:40 pm

Um. Grave of the Firflies is extremely depressing. It's about these two kids living in poverty, and it does not have a happy ending. I don't think I can recommend anything, due to the fact that most of the anime I watch has some drama in it. I recomend some of Hayao Miyazaki's films that are more lighthearted and sweet. Ponyo I think is a good example, and so it whispers of the heart.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby animeguild53 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:19 am

..if you are looking for a light anime, kimi ni todoke is good for you... the anime is not yet complete though... try reading it's manga... i like how shiina karuho did the visuals... it doesn't have any CHRISTian theme on it, but it's sure is nice and you can learn a lot of good values... teehee! tanoshimimasu!

..."Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtues, or if there be any praise; think of these things." ---Philippinians 4:8
[color="black"][SIZE="1"]
When I fall, [color="White"]HE[/color] lifts me up!
When I fail, [color="White"]HE[/color] forgives!
When I am [color="White"]weak[/color], HE is strong!
[color="White"]When I am lost, HE is the way![/color]
[color="White"]When I am afraid, HE is my cou[/color]rage!
When I [color="White"]stumble, HE[/color] steadies me!
When I am [color="White"]hurt[/color], HE heals me!
When I am[color="White"] broke[/color]n, HE mends me!
When I am [color="White"]blind[/color], HE leads me!
When I am [color="White"]hung[/color]ry, HE feeds me!
When I face [color="White"]trial[/color]s, HE is with me!
When I face [color="White"]pers[/color]ecution, HE shields me!
When I face [color="White"]prob[/color]lems, HE comforts me!
When I face [color="White"]loss[/color], ]HE provides for me!
When I face [color="White"]Deat[/color]h, HE carries me Home![/SIZE]

from http://emailministry.org/stories2.asp?id=1481[/color]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[color="Red"]... i'm a CHRISTian who happens to be a Student...[/color]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
animeguild53

Postby blkmage » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:34 am

I really like Kimi ni Todoke (and I wish the translations for the manga would get pumped out faster) and in general, it is pretty light, but it has some pretty huge shoujo drama moments (like within the first few episodes/chapters, much faster than Ouran). And now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that under the criteria that Bobtheduck has set out, pretty much every shoujo series is disqualified, because I'm sure that at some point, there will be drama.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:33 pm

Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochii Guu (a.ka. Hare + Guu) is a crazy comedy that from time to time likes to lead to somewhat tender, contemplative and even a few sad moments, just to suddenly explode in your face in a "I almost had you there! hahaha" fashion. I can't remember a single "serious" scene that lasted more than one minute.
Maokun

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:30 am

blkmage (post: 1355500) wrote:Actually, I had thought about this too, but decided it didn't quite work. Ouran actually has some fairly uncheery material. For instance, other than the final two episodes, there's the exploration of Kaoru's and Hikaru's identities and how they try to define themselves as individuals apart from each other and Tamaki's and Kyouya's own respective struggles with their roles in their families. And beyond the anime, the manga actually heads further away from comedy and well into shoujo drama territory.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but figured it might not work for the same reason.

And ROFL at the Grave of the Fireflies thing. XDDDDD

Would the Hello Kitty anime work? I haven't seen it in years, but even though there were sad moments, I'd venture to say it was the lightest anime I'd ever seen (if memory serves correctly)... along with Mermaid Melody (though there were sad moments in that too, but it's probably the lightest magical girl anime I've ever seen).
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby steenajack » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:21 pm

OMGOSH! I did not get that Grave of the Fireflies joke until just now! *bonks self in head* Now I'm totally lol-ing!!!!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Shadowfax » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:18 am

Someone mentioned this before, but i have say it again...

[SIZE="3"]ARIA[/SIZE]

Even though its ending may remind you of Azumanga Daioh's, it came across to me as a lot more cheerful and amazing. If you cry, it's only because it a touching beautiful moment, not because it was bittersweet. The entire show's atmosphere is "light" - watching an episode felt like it was bringing that relaxation you can only get on a vacation. It was that well written.

I highly suggest you give it a shot... it all begins with Aria the Animation. If you're willing to try it, I recommend looking at P79068 subs, they were great quality. :cool:

Other candidates are...
Angelic Layer (I don't recall any dark moments in this)
My Neighbor Totoro (doesn't get much more wholesome than this)

I'm trying to remember if Nodame Cantabile had a sad or dark moment in it... to be honest, for such a famous show, I look back on it and can only remember a lot of smiles. :D
[SIZE="1"]"This is only the beginning."[/SIZE]
Shadowfax

Postby blkmage » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:09 am

Shadowfax (post: 1357413) wrote:I'm trying to remember if Nodame Cantabile had a sad or dark moment in it... to be honest, for such a famous show, I look back on it and can only remember a lot of smiles. :D

Chiaki's strained family relations, discussions about Nodame's potential vs. her willingness to work at it, there's a lot more drama after they get to Paris.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Shadowfax (post: 1357413) wrote:Other candidates are...
Angelic Layer (I don't recall any dark moments in this)

Except all the rather depressing moments dealing with the [spoiler]paralytic mother?[/spoiler] C'mon, it's CLAMP we're talking of. :P
Maokun

Postby Shadowfax » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:19 pm

blkmage (post: 1357422) wrote:Chiaki's strained family relations, discussions about Nodame's potential vs. her willingness to work at it, there's a lot more drama after they get to Paris.

Maokun (post: 1357520) wrote:Except all the rather depressing moments dealing with the [spoiler]paralytic mother?[/spoiler] C'mon, it's CLAMP we're talking of. :P

Alright, I agree... neither of those are perfectly light.

If you're looking for something that wholesome, it sounds like you're looking for a kids show. And I don't know what cartoons children watch in Japan. =) What is the anime equivalent of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood? I'm curious to know too!

BUT... there are animes with a "light" overall feel, where their sad moments aren't so heavy that they detract from the whole experience.

If you try them out, I think you'll find they can be just as satisfying as a perfectly-light anime would be. Maybe even more.

Take Aria for example... it's a show that 80% of the time makes you feel good. The other 20%, when something serious is happening, is resolved in such a beautiful way that it makes you feel even more good than it usual does. Or something like that-- it's hard to describe. :sweat:

You get the idea. There's not many "perfectly light" animes out there, but you'd be surprised how many "mosty light" animes can be "perfectly enjoyable". :)
[SIZE="1"]"This is only the beginning."[/SIZE]
Shadowfax

Postby ilikegir33 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1355429) wrote:Excel Saga is full of dark humor in addition to the hyper craziness, and I've heard there is one completely serious episode (though I didn't see it)

Agreed, and the episode is 24, but the reason it's serious is because [color="Black"][spoiler]Rikdo wanted all the gags removed, which makes sense, considering that Excel became an amnesiac after the fall of the City of F. I think it's a great episode, and it's still got a few parodies as well. Kinda reminds me of Dragon Ball Z, in a way.[/spoiler][/color]

[quote="Shadowfax (post: 1357591)"]
If you try them out, I think you'll find they can be just as satisfying as a perfectly-light anime would be. Maybe even more.

Take Aria for example... it's a show that 80%]

Agreed. Aria is as light as they come.

I would consider Ponyo to be that way as well. The only really dark things about it are Ponyo's dad (who is initially pretty scary, but then again, so was the Catbus in Totoro) and the storm, but both are resolved in a good and nonthreatening way.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:50 pm

If Azumanga Daioh's ending (high schoolers graduate from high school) counts as "dark" at all, then I don't know any anime made for people over the age of 12 that would satisfy your lightness criterion.

...except one. An anime with so much Light that it has to be capitalized. An anime with so much Light that it overwhelms any dark themes, even though it mellows out near the end.

Death Note.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews