Top animu/manga by gender

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Top animu/manga by gender

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:46 pm

Here's a hilarious list (acquired through polling) of the top ten favourite anime according to each gender in Japan. I'll translate the titles for your convenience. I'd also do the manga too, but I recognize far fewer of the titles and don't feel like GUGURU-ing them all.

GUYS
1. K-ON!
2. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
3. Lucky Star
4. Gundam (all)
5. Saki
6. Neon Genesis Evangelion
7. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
8. Axis Powers Hetalia
9. CLANNAD
10. Toradora!

GIRLS
1. Gundam (all)
2. K-ON!
3. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
4. Macross Frontier
5. Evangelion/Toradora! (tie)
6. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
7. Lucky Star
8. CLANNAD
9. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
10. Minami-ke

Ah what the heck, I'll do manga too.

GUYS
1. One Piece
2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
3. Hunter X Hunter
4. Dragonball
5. Bleach
6. Yotsuba&!
7. Naruto/Fullmetal Alchemist (tie)
8. Sora no Manimani/Magical Teacher Negima! (tie)
9. Hourou Musuko
10. The World God Only Knows/Mysterious Girlfriend X (tie)

GIRLS
1. Axis Powers Hetalia
2. Prince of Tennis
3. REBORN!
4. Gintama
5. One Piece
6. Bleach
7. Fullmetal Alchemist
8. Kuroshitsuji
9. Demon Detective Neuro Nougami
10. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

So the manga lists aren't as hilarious as the anime lists. The anime lists are really hilarious to me for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who's familiar with all of those titles up there. No, I didn't mix up the guys and girls list for anime.
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Guys like Hetalia?! Girls have an inkling of taste?! WHAT IS THIS?

Guys into Hourou Musuko makes me lol for some reason. What's the sample from, otaku or the general public or what?
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:54 pm

Isn't that "Mango"? It's animu and mango, I think.

In any case, I've never seen K-on, though I'm not sure I agree with the popular taste in Japan (though I do like (the non-endless-eight) Haruhi and Lucky Star)

I'm really surprised Gundam is so popular with girls...
That didn't strike me as something that would be popular with girls, except maybe in cross-market otaku outside of Japan (I got into Shoujo anime first, for instance.) Certainly not girls in its native country.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Gundam topped the Girls list and not the Guys? That's pretty awesome actually.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. This is compiled by an otaku matchmaking service. Otherwise, I doubt that we'd see some of those titles up there (LOLOL Saki and K-ON!).
blkmage

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:57 pm

blkmage (post: 1354386) wrote:Yeah, I should have mentioned that. This is compiled by an otaku matchmaking service. Otherwise, I doubt that we'd see some of those titles up there (LOLOL Saki and K-ON!).

There's an OTAKU MATCHMAKING SERVICE? Too bad there aren't many Christians in Japan, otherwise I'd join, heh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:03 pm

The Gundam and Evangelion on the girls list is the only one that I'm shock about.

The others, I can see girls liking those.

[font="Book Antiqua"]
[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:06 pm

The general public would probably list stuff like Doraemon or whatever, so yeah, it's otaku. All the anime are newer shows, except for Evangelion (which always winds up on these top ten polls) and potentially Gundam(all) (which is pretty broad).

I'm probably more amused that there really isn't any shoujo titles on the girls' manga list. It's mostly shonen.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Now this is a real shocker. I'm surprised Gundam is so popular among girls. And Fruits Basket is *no where* on the girl list?!
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Lolwut Gurren Lagann is in the girl's top ten but not guy's top ten? Girls don't like Yotsuba? Girls love K-ON almost as much as guys?

This pic represents what I felt when I saw the list...

Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:27 pm

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1354398) wrote:Now this is a real shocker. I'm surprised Gundam is so popular among girls. And Fruits Basket is *no where* on the girl list?!

Well, I suspect Fruits Basket isn't on the list for two reasons. First, it's pretty old by now. Notice that, except for one or two titles, the shows are all really recent (within the last year or two) and the manga are currently ongoing. Secondly, the sample for polling was otaku. I think that shoujo manga in Japan tends to be for much more mainstream audiences than otaku, hence the lack of any shoujo titles across any of the lists.

Yamamaya (post: 1354410) wrote:Lolwut Gurren Lagann is in the girl's top ten but not guy's top ten? Girls don't like Yotsuba? Girls love K-ON almost as much as guys?

What we take away from this list is that guys like girls (Saki, Nanoha) and girls like mecha (Geass, Macross F, TTGL). It is pretty interesting that while there's a noticeable overlap in the anime list, in the manga list, beyond the big shounen titles, there's nothing else in common.
blkmage

Postby Song_of_Storms » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:19 pm

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, at first glance you'd think the guy's list would be the girls... but then you start to think about it. Which of the genres star mainly cute females? Ooh~! A Revelation! O.O

I'm not shocked by the Gundam thing. I happen to adore Gundam, and also seem to be of the girl variety. X3 Though, I find it upsetting that Kuroshitsuji and Demon Detective Neuro Nougami
are so far down the list.

I agree with Bobtheduck. Not that I'd join one, but I kinda think the idea of Mr. Otaku's lonely hearts club is humorous. >w<[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby MasterDias » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:00 pm

blkmage (post: 1354422) wrote:Secondly, the sample for polling was otaku. I think that shoujo manga in Japan tends to be for much more mainstream audiences than otaku, hence the lack of any shoujo titles across any of the lists.

I don't know. I've been thinking about it and the manga lists of both genders are largely filled with Shonen Jump titles which is about as mainstream as you can get, and they don't even really indicate the same set of tastes as the anime lists. Are the same guys who are reading Jojo's Bizarre Adventure also watching K-On?

Too bad that site doesn't list the runners up as I would have found that interesting.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:42 pm

My goodness, that poll. Since I am convinced I can't comment on it without being reduced to spouting inhuman gibberish, I'll stealthily redirect my post towards the Manga segment.

...Seriously, K-ON! and Saki?
blkmage (post: 1354382) wrote:GUYS
2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
7. Fullmetal Alchemist
HA HAH. Well played.

One Piece isn't too surprising, considering it's something of a global phenomenon by this point. Yotsuba& too, actually, though less global and more simply everyone enjoys Yotsuba&.
blkmage (post: 1354382) wrote:GIRLS
1. Axis Powers Hetalia
2. Prince of Tennis
3. REBORN!
The abundance of Shounen on here is marginally less surprising when you consider the number of allegedly good-looking young guys populating them. Are there even any female characters in REBORN!? I'll admit I haven't read it, but to see Debs talk about it I wouldn't be surprised to learn.

On a related note, arbitrary Fukumoto joke.
Fish and Chips

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:27 pm

Girls liking Gundam doesn't surprise me. That poor series is slash fodder XD

But us girls do have good taste :D
Shao Feng-Li

Postby minakichan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:46 pm

...Seriously, K-ON! and Saki?

Saki is trash, and while that's debatable, it's pretty strongly yuri-fodderish. K-ON! is actually pretty likeable though, and it makes sense why girls who aren't into creepy moe stuff would like it-- it's funny and cheerful and silly.

The abundance of Shounen on here is marginally less surprising when you consider the number of allegedly good-looking young guys populating them. Are there even any female characters in REBORN!? I'll admit I haven't read it, but to see Debs talk about it I wouldn't be surprised to learn.

There are, and they're actually quite cute, and the manga itself is actually somewhat girly. Girls don't just like any shounen manga, they like GIRLY shounen manga, bit difference. Even Naruto isn't on the level of girliness.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Momo-P » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:47 am

blkmage (post: 1354422) wrote:What we take away from this list is that guys like girls (Saki, Nanoha) and girls like mecha (Geass, Macross F, TTGL).

I'm inclined to disagree...looks like the guys like girls and the girls like guys. I love Gurren Lagann for it's story, but I can't lie, I also *LOVE* me some Simon. The girls like the mecha stories because they have a good helping of male characters. Half to look at and drool over, half to pair up in irritating yaoi fanart.
Momo-P

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:36 am

minakichan (post: 1354456) wrote:Saki is trash, and while that's debatable, it's pretty strongly yuri-fodderish. K-ON! is actually pretty likeable though, and it makes sense why girls who aren't into creepy moe stuff would like it-- it's funny and cheerful and silly.
I should probably have specified. Saki depresses me because...of a number of reasons. Which I won't belabor here. I actually don't have anything against K-ON!, necessarily, just that it kinda blows my mind that it's so popular among guys. That it beats out ALL of Gundam.

I've also never hid my contempt for the moe~ aesthetic and the connotation it carries, but that's a subject for another thread. Probably.
minakichan (post: 1354456) wrote:There are, and they're actually quite cute, and the manga itself is actually somewhat girly. Girls don't just like any shounen manga, they like GIRLY shounen manga, bit difference. Even Naruto isn't on the level of girliness.
And yet JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is no. 10 for girls.

Incredible.

(Though I have a hunch as to why).
Fish and Chips

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm pretty surprised at how much overlap there is on these lists. One or two titles I can expect, but seeing around half the list show up twice is not what I expected.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Haruhi is more popular with the guys than with da girls.

I wonderrr whyyyy

Yamamaya

Postby ich1990 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1354525) wrote:And yet JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is no. 10 for girls.

Incredible.

(Though I have a hunch as to why).

Yes, this one surprised me the most. From what I have read, JoJo is seriously manly.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:35 am

Yamamaya (post: 1354583) wrote:Haruhi is more popular with the guys than with da girls.

I wonderrr whyyyy

Not to center the conversation around fanservice, but Haruhi is unique in the fanservice department, or at least rare, because it seems to focus on something different (with Haruhi herself, anyhow, though not with Mikuru) than most fanservicy anime.

My favorite moment in Haruhi was the Ryoko Asakura incident, though. It's just so out of left field, it's great. One of my all-time favorite anime moments.
Bobtheduck

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:40 am

Polling an otaku matchmaking service on anime and manga preferences is the kind of random, scientifically irresponsible, totally awesome thing I would like to spend more of my time doing.
Cap'n Nick

Postby goldenspines » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:20 am

Considering it's Japan and they tend to have different tastes in anime than people in the US or anywhere else in the world, the list isn't too suprising. Just because something is popular in the US doesn't mean it was a huge hit in Japan. XP

In fact, if it wasn't Japan, I'd say they were lying about guys liking the Hetalia anime.
goldenspines

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:46 pm

Actually, the show that I'm most surprised by showing up in both lists is Toradora. I mean, I liked Toradora and thought it was a fairly decent show, but I didn't think that many people liked it that much. It doesn't really share much of the same traits as the other shows in that list either.

I do expect Bakemonogatari to show up on the next iteration of those lists for both, whenever that is.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm also really surprised that Hetalia got on the guy's list and not on the girl's list. All of the male characters in Hetalia are bishy and there's a bit of meaningless yaoi fanservice.
Yamamaya

Postby MasterDias » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:21 pm

ich1990 (post: 1354609) wrote:Yes, this one surprised me the most. From what I have read, JoJo is seriously manly.

Part 5 was apparently really popular among female fans due to the rather feminine-looking main male cast.

Actually, the show that I'm most surprised by showing up in both lists is Toradora. I mean, I liked Toradora and thought it was a fairly decent show, but I didn't think that many people liked it that much. It doesn't really share much of the same traits as the other shows in that list either.

Wasn't it one of the more popular shows in the season it aired? At least, I had been under this impression.

MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:43 pm

MasterDias (post: 1354856) wrote:Wasn't it one of the more popular shows in the season it aired? At least, I had been under this impression.

It was, but I didn't think it was any more than some other similar, popular show in some other season. That is, it seemed like a good show for the season, but I didn't expect that many people to consider it after it ended.
blkmage

Postby minakichan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:41 pm

It was, but I didn't think it was any more than some other similar, popular show in some other season. That is, it seemed like a good show for the season, but I didn't expect that many people to consider it after it ended.

I got the impression that it was the big thing of the season in JAPAN, but totally un(der)valued overseas.

(It's such a good show though!)
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:56 pm

GIRLS
9. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
BOYS
Not even in the top ten

o.o

....WHAT?
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews