Fall 09 anime season prejudging thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby blkmage » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:12 pm

OHO, more updates! And Winter Sonata managed to not get delayed to next season! Clearly, we are in the end times.

Aoi Bungaku is an animated adaptation of a bunch of famous Japanese literature with character designs by some famous mangaka.

Three Musketeers gets to sit alongside Romance of the Three Kingdoms for some more adaptations of classic literature.

Anyamaru is, uh, something all right. From the makers of Macross Frontier and Basquash.

Miracle Trains looks like Hetalia, except with Tokyo train stations and not as hilarious.

And an avalanche of kids' shows.

┐( ´ー`)┌

IN OTHER NEWS, if you're wondering why GONZO has disappeared off the face of the earth, it's probably because they're essentially dead.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:40 pm

RIP Gonzo.

You did good Anime sometimes.
Fish and Chips

Postby MasterDias » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:20 pm

They were supposed to have been doing an adaptation of Alive: The Final Evolution, but that was apparently canned. The fact that they have nothing confirmed on their schedule isn't a very good sign.

As a side note, I've never really understood the amount of bashing and hatred they tend to get nowadays.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:47 am

On the Japanese side, it seems to be a case of not making typical otaku fodder. On the non-Japanese side, it seems to be because they've garnered a reputation for consistently ruining the ending to their shows (much like Gainax).

The first didn't translate into DVD sales in Japan, which is not good. And if you have to rely on international audiences, the second point didn't help matters very much.

And it seems like it's really only the first that mattered in terms of their downfall. Apparently, because they were fairly experimental in the types of shows that they'd make, the shows weren't produced by production committee and they produced those shows alone. When those shows tanked because no one was buying DVDs, they bore the entirety of the cost, whereas the risk would have been spread among the different producers in the case of a production committee.

I mean, look at the sales numbers for their DVDs from that post. Their highest selling titles were either otaku pandering (Strike Witches, Saki, Rosario to Vampire) or their old hits from a long time ago (Vandread (2000), Last Exile (2003), etc.). Unfortunately for them, they realized this too late.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:33 pm

So to kick off the new season, we have the Black★Rock Shooter pilot edition PV, which went on sale (on DVD and Blu-ray) on Sept. 30. It's really just a two minute preview of the show which is currently slated for Spring 2010. I really like the subtle changes they did in the composition and instrumentation for the B★RS 2M MIX.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:27 am

Sup guys, it's been a month. What are you all watching so that we can have some lively conversation?

To recap, for me:
The Sacred Blacksmith
A Certain Scientific Railgun
Kobato
Darker than BLACK: Gemini of the Meteor
Kimi ni Todoke
Shakugan no Shana S
Hidamari Sketch x365 Specials

And from last season:
The web episodes of Bakemonogatari
FMA: Brohood
Umineko no Naku Koro ni
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:18 am

Currently I am watching Sora no Otoshimono and Darker than Black Gemini of the Meteor.

DTB: It's very good so far. It's definitely a lot different than the first season which is good. I hate it when the second season of an anime is just used to milk the series.

Sora no Otoshimono: The fanservice in this is hilarious and absolutely over the top. But yet it manages to have somewhat of an intriguing story line.

From last season
Bleach
Umineko no naku Koro ni
FMA brotherhood(just started watching this again. I'm up to episode 16).
Yamamaya

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews