Westboro Baptist Church

Talk about anything in here.

Westboro Baptist Church

Postby teen4truth » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:13 am

So have you guys heard about the church of so-called "Christians" who are going around protesting soldiers funerals and all sorts of hateful stuff like that?

Its CRAZY.

A few of them came to my University!

Here is a vid of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsgEjipNLG0
What's up? I'm an archaeologist, traveler, and Trekky.
I blog about my adventures as a traveler here:
http://unsettledvoyage.blogspot.com
I blog about my adventures as an alien hunting cowgirl in a parallel universe here:
http://alternatevoyage.blogspot.com
teen4truth

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:18 am

Yep. They wanted to come and protest a family's funeral up here because the family was killed by their son, who went to my high school. Unfortunately, they've been around for a long time, but I haven't seen them in the news recently.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:46 am

These guys make me really sick... And I would say they are more of a cult than Christians... I wonder if they've even read God's word? It says Multiple times to LOVE others and not to JUDGE them...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:18 am

They do read God's word. They just take it incredibly out of context.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Peanut » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:59 am

LadyRushia (post: 1352352) wrote:Yep. They wanted to come and protest a family's funeral up here because the family was killed by their son, who went to my high school.

Supposedly, they actually did. However for a variety of reasons they weren't able to protest across the street from the funeral, nor even near the funeral. The only place they could protest was way down the street near a Royal Farms...or so I've heard.

Anyway, I could same somethings about the Westboro Baptist Church, but since it would be full of cutting remarks, hate, rage, and more hate I'm just going to stay silent.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:05 am

They even did a version of the Jackson song, "We are the world" but they changed it to "God hates the world."

They're an inane cult that should simply be ignored. They want attention so it's best to simply ignore them.

That being said, has anyone watched the BBC documentary on them called the most hated family in America?
Yamamaya

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:12 am

ChristianKitsune (post: 1352360) wrote:These guys make me really sick... And I would say they are more of a cult than Christians... I wonder if they've even read God's word? It says Multiple times to LOVE others and not to JUDGE them...

Seminaries exist to train people to read a book that, while relevant and true for our world today, was written in a time and context far removed from our own. People without the proper training to interpret the Book can become incredibly destructive simply because historical and literary context removed can cause the Bible to be used to justify nearly anything.

It's also pertinent to note that the Pastor is nuts.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:18 am

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1352378) wrote:Seminaries exist to train people to read a book that, while relevant and true for our world today, was written in a time and context far removed from our own. People without the proper training to interpret the Book can become incredibly destructive simply because historical and literary context removed can cause the Bible to be used to justify nearly anything.

It's also pertinent to note that the Pastor is nuts.

QFT

These people are pretty much an exact example of the cult mindset. They believe that everyone except for their little church is going to hell.

They also even believe that it is not their job to teach the Gospel. It is their job to warn people of God's hatred towards them.
Yamamaya

Postby F.M Disciple » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:36 am

not their job to teach the gospel eh,

that's funny they think that considering Jesus said " go into the world and make disciples of all nation's"
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:28 am

I'm gonna go ahead and lock this one, guys. Yes, a lot of us are aware of Westboro Baptist Church, and I'm sure it's safe to say that all of us are disgusted by the kinds of things that they do; however, I don't think it's very productive at all to spend our time bashing them in a thread. After all, Christ calls us to love others, too, so instead of bashing those who we know are not acting as though they're of Him, let's focus on showing others how Christ should be represented!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Return to General