Puetro Rican Disaster

Talk about anything in here.

Puetro Rican Disaster

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:52 pm

There are no news sources for this yet, as they haven't had a chance to report on it. This occurred in Guaynabo, PR

Caribbean Gulf Petroleum has exploded and is currently on fire. It was a large enough explosion to register as an earthquake. Source: http://twitter.com/usgs_eq_25

This is a big deal, as apparently there are gas lines connected to the refineries and they cannot disconnect it. These lines go all over the place, including power plants.

Live streaming video (from quite a distance)

Pics

If you have seen this thread, please pray for those who have been affected by this.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:30 am

That's so crazy o___o I'll definitely be praying 8(
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Peanut » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:12 am

I will definitely be praying about this.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:30 am

:( I hope they find a way to stop it. I have family in PR.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:19 pm

News story is up on CNN.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:18 pm

Here are the pics from some points at my folks place,and the university route I take.
They aren't as flashy or hot as the others,mind you I wasn't going any closer to the gulf. :P

[url=Amzi's view of the Carribean Gulf Petroleum Incident]http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x274/Amzi_Tune/Puerto%20Rico%20Gulf%20Petroleum/[/url]

The event was quite interesting. A friend sent me a text at 12:31 asking me if I had felt the quake since he ,and I lived fairly close. LOL I answered no cause I had just woken up when the quake ended,and I went back to sleep. At 4:30 a.m. after I woke my father told me what had happened.
Another friend of mine who lives in the residential area closest to the Gulf Petroleum told me that he thought that with all the confusion,and the explosions that there had been an airplane accident. Oh yeah,and there were people in his block who thought that the rapture had occurred or that the apocalypse had finally arrived. xD
I don't believe that there have been any deaths (at least I haven't heard any reports about it). The serious thing is that if the wind changes from blowing to the north west (as it has been since this morning) the smoke,and other gases will spread into the island,and it'll become an even more serious health,and environmental threat than it already is. This would really do harm to those with respiratory health issues. Hope it stays as it is cause I don't want to breath any toxins.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Yeah, it looks like things are okay for the most part. My mom told me our family should be safe. The only main concern, as you said Amzi, is the wind.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:48 pm

I'll continue to pray 8(
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:19 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1352249) wrote:Yeah, it looks like things are okay for the most part. My mom told me our family should be safe. The only main concern, as you said Amzi, is the wind.

Yeah,the problems that this might cause are mostly long term,and will affect people indirectly. Still,everything seams to be ok.

Tsukuyomi (post: 1352256) wrote:I'll continue to pray 8(

Thanks Tsuki!

Don't ever take fresh air for granted guys. ^^;
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Return to General