Blank Books (journals?)

Talk about anything in here.

Blank Books (journals?)

Postby Dante » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:23 pm

I have a strange hobby of sorts that some may not know about (or maybe I've mentioned this before), I happen to collect blank books or what some people would see as personal journals. While normally one such book would satisfy most, I keep several of them going simultaneously (I currently have about 3) and write out my personal notes for physics and math within their pages (I plan on creating my own analysis text of sorts for use for my analysis final this year which I heard was going to be open notes :P... mine will be the only set of notes with a thorough index).

To make a long story short though, I can't find enough interesting journals to use as my collection of writings grows larger and larger. I used the black book series for a while, but they're running out of new ideas that intrigue me (e.g. books that look old and antique or have a mystical quality to their cover). Thus, I was wondering if anyone else here might share my strange hobby but has found a better place to come accross some good old books of surprisingly little content with cool looking covers :P.

-Where did you get them?

-Pascal
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Peanut » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:41 pm

I have two Moleskines which I use for journaling. They don't have cool looking covers but, well, there's just something about them that looks sort of awesome (to me at least). I got one at my school's bookstore and the other at Borders.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby jadeTheshade » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:42 pm

i learned how to make hardbound books from a book at my library, so i have a big huge box of those i'm tying to sell XD
but the irony is that tho i love blank books, i alway have trouble starting them, or using anything i think i might ruin...
so i use those spiral bounds you can get at walmart for as little as ten cents...XD
[font="Book Antiqua"]two roads diverged in a wood and i
took the one less traveled by
and that has made all the difference
-Robert F[color="black"][color="Blue"][/color][/color]rost[/font]
jadeTheshade

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Yeah, I do something like this. Every quarter, I buy a 5-subject spiral-bound notebook for class notes, and I don't use all of the pages. I do most of my art/sketching and writing in these extra pages. Nobody else is going to use it, so I do. The lines can also help with proportions and lettering. The problem comes when I try to find a piece I did among four of five notebooks, each with several subjects. I've gotta go through them one day and find the good drawings, and transfer the stories/writings to Word.

So now, if/when I post art, you'll know why it's on lined paper. Maybe someday, when I'm outrageously famous, I'll compile my doodles and prose into a coffee table book for art-house types to swoon over and to debate its significance.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby PrincessZelda » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:44 pm

I usually get mine at Borders. They usually have a really wide selection of journals, some of which do have a sort of old, antique look to them. But then, I haven't looked at journals there for a while, because I have a LOT of them right now XD But yeah, it's definitely a good place to look.

Oh, and sometimes Barnes and Noble has some good ones too... though, I've never actually bought one there.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:52 pm

I don't know why, but I love buying journals. Even if I only write in them a little, I think they look super cool and I like the idea of having a place to jot down my thoughts that's a little more tangible than the internet (even though I generally use my LJ more than my real journals!). XD I usually buy mine at Target, 'cause they're cheap and they have neat designs on them. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby K. Ayato » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm

I have a few composition notebooks, and one Moleskin. Neither are completely full. Each one has less than 5 pages with actual writing in them.
K. Ayato: What happens if you press the small red button?

*Explosion goes off in the movie*

mechana2015: Does that answer your question?

K. Ayato: Perfectly.

Prayer sister of kaji, sticksabuser, Angel37, and Doubleshadow --Love you guys! :)
K. Ayato

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:37 pm

Pascal (post: 1350009) wrote:I have a strange hobby of sorts that some may not know about (or maybe I've mentioned this before), I happen to collect blank books or what some people would see as personal journals. While normally one such book would satisfy most, I keep several of them going simultaneously (I currently have about 3) and write out my personal notes for physics and math within their pages (I plan on creating my own analysis text of sorts for use for my analysis final this year which I heard was going to be open notes :P... mine will be the only set of notes with a thorough index).

To make a long story short though, I can't find enough interesting journals to use as my collection of writings grows larger and larger. I used the black book series for a while, but they're running out of new ideas that intrigue me (e.g. books that look old and antique or have a mystical quality to their cover). Thus, I was wondering if anyone else here might share my strange hobby but has found a better place to come accross some good old books of surprisingly little content with cool looking covers :P.

-Where did you get them?

-Pascal

Well, being a certified fountain pen lunatic, I am guilty as charged (keeping WAAYYY too many journals going at once) but I have settled on the good old composition notebook as my favorite.

They come in so many cover designs that it's not as if you're buying the same journal over and over.

But I do keep an eye open for interesting bound journals of all sorts. I've found some good ones in the past at Target, and stationery stores sometimes carry Clairefontaines, but those are expensive compared to comp notebooks. Miquelrius makes some great spiral notebooks, though. You can find them online.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby Syreth » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:12 pm

I don't really keep journals. The only time I journal is when I'm going through a difficult time, which thankfully hasn't been for awhile. Instead I have a collection of notebooks that I use for sketching, which is, I suppose, like a journal.
Syreth

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:17 pm

I am bad about collecting such books but never using them. Hahaha.

A good place ti start is the main bookstore in your area, such as Barnes and Noble or Books a Million. Craft stores also offer interesting stationary books like Hobby Lobby or Micheals. Hope that helps.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:40 am

A picture is worth a thousand words! Here are just some of my un-used journals collected from here and there.

(Hey, can you see the pics, or just the link?)

Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Return to General