Japan: be nice to visit there but I would never live there.

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Japan will probably adjust eventually as globalization continues its course. Besides, Japan's birth rate is rapidely decreasing so they'll eventually have to start letting in more immigrants.
Yamamaya

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1351828) wrote:Japan will probably adjust eventually as globalization continues its course. Besides, Japan's birth rate is rapidely decreasing so they'll eventually have to start letting in more immigrants.

Perhaps, but it also depends on ingrained societal/cultural views. I think the USA from birth was always more open to globalization than Japan was.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby blkmage » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:02 pm

I'd imagine that's because western society (and the US in particular) is all about the rights and liberty of the individual, while Asian societies tend to be more about larger units (the family, the town/village, the society). Even among other western nations, the degree to which the rights and freedoms of the individual is emphasized differs.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:05 pm

blkmage (post: 1351835) wrote:I'd imagine that's because western society (and the US in particular) is all about the rights and liberty of the individual, while Asian societies tend to be more about larger units (the family, the town/village, the society). Even among other western nations, the degree to which the rights and freedoms of the individual is emphasized differs.

Yep, it's been that way for quite some time. Mainly due to the fact that ideas like democracy and republics originated in Western cultures,(Athens and Rome.)
Yamamaya

Postby goldenspines » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:08 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1351823) wrote:*shrugs* That's more due to the fact that some people get a little too fired up when they debate others. More of the fault of the posters than the actual topic(and this one is unlikely to cause flames anyway considering it is merely a discussion about some of the negative aspects of living in Japan).

Regardless, I don't mind if you decide to close this thread.

If a topic is likely to cause debating and flaming, it's the OP's fault, not those who post in the topic.
Hence, why one should be thoughtful before they post a new thread. I advise you to do this more often.

MSP wrote: Just wondering... what DOES "get out of hand too quickly" mean anyway? I mean... how is that assessed? Especially if it's pure text-reading. And wouldn't "controversial" be kind of a relative statement?

If a thread causes disorder among the members to the point where the discussion leads to theology or polictical territory, or if the thread starts to become mindless name calling and not civil conversation.

That said, keep it nice and politics free in here, folks.
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Rogers » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:14 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1351828) wrote:Japan will probably adjust eventually as globalization continues its course. Besides, Japan's birth rate is rapidely decreasing so they'll eventually have to start letting in more immigrants.

No they won't. As affluence grows, birth rate declines. This happens in many nations. It will balance itself out.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:35 pm

goldenspines (post: 1351839) wrote:If a topic is likely to cause debating and flaming, it's the OP's fault, not those who post in the topic.

...Seriously? OP takes responsibility if other people decide to be inept posters?

That sounds a bit unfair to me.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby goldenspines » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1351862) wrote:...Seriously? OP takes responsibility if other people decide to be inept posters?

If the thread's subject is obvious to cause trouble, the OP is at fault. With the power to make threads comes with responsibilty.

If you are going to make a thread, you are partially responsible for its outcome, because you made it. You didn't have to make it.
goldenspines

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:50 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1351862) wrote:...Seriously? OP takes responsibility if other people decide to be inept posters?

No, all members who choose to participate in a thread are responsible ^__^

I've haven't been to Japan long enough to experience anything, so I can't really say >8( I'd love to go back some day and visit someday again, though ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:50 pm

goldenspines (post: 1351863) wrote:If the thread's subject is obvious to cause trouble, the OP is at fault. With the power to make threads comes with responsibilty.

If you are going to make a thread, you are partially responsible for its outcome, because you made it. You didn't have to make it.

So I am responsible for the ineptness of others simply because I brought up a topic -- which unknowingly -- they can't manage?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby goldenspines » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:52 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1351866) wrote:So I am responsible for the ineptness of others simply because I brought up a topic -- unknowingly -- they can't manage?

I would assume you would know what you are posting about before you post it.

That said, this thread is getting way off topic and may have lived out it's usefulness.
goldenspines

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:53 pm

goldenspines (post: 1351869) wrote:I would assume you would know what you are posting about before you post it.

Doesn't mean others do...

I'm still not understanding this whole "scapegoating" phenomena that you're talking about here. This warped view of responsibility.

But whatever.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:59 pm

When moving to a new country you have to expect alot of things ^^ Things you may not want to even consider having to prepare for ^^

May I suggest looking at all the good things about moving to Japan ^^? You've seemed to research the bad, how about looking at the good ^^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:09 pm

Okay, I believe it's time we said farewell to this one. It's outlived its purpose, and only seems like it'll cause more arguing from here. So, in short, these aren't the droids you're searching for; move along!

Also, on whose fault it is if a thread gets out of hand, I think there may be some confusion. It's really only the OP's fault if the thread goes directly against CAA's rules against political or theological debates. CAA is not against civil debating as long as it doesn't get into theological or political territory, or as long as it doesn't dissolve into name-calling and meaningless arguing.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Previous

Return to General