What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:41 pm

Just finished A Far Off Place. It's been a long time since I've seen this!
Wyntre Rose

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:06 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1347599) wrote:Eh, I don't know if I would read any kind of Christian message, positive or negative, into 2001. Kubrick believed in some sort of higher power, but didn't know what to identify it as. If you are going to find a message about Christianity, it won't be a message that is found within the film itself.

Though to be fair, I will admit that a large part of the intention in crafting 2001 was that it would have no specified meaning, such that any interpretation of the events could be considered valid. (though not of the

I do think that 2001 is one of the greatest films ever made, but I say that from a film-as-art standpoint, not a film-as-entertainment standpoint. As a result, I don't often recommend it to people who are not either a "film geek" or an aspiring film maker. I tend to find that most people outside of those circles don't enjoy the type of film that 2001 is.
Nonsense, as ours is a culture saturated with Christian symbols, Christian ideas, and Christian imagery, even works that are not produced by Christians may still be both saturated in such material and theologically useful. Sure, if we were to point out these observations, Stanley Kubrick would likely say that it is only like the Bible, but this does not exclude the Bible as a legitimate interpretation of the symbols. Any philosopher worth their salt will tell you David Bowman just got in touch with the Logos, and Christianity is about how the Logos became flesh (which is, not coincidentally, exactly what happens in the film's ending).
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:32 am

Tonight I watched Mad Monster Party, Marie Antoinette, and The Devil Wears Prada.
GhostontheNet

Postby Angel Tifa » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:41 pm

I finished watching Nacho Libre for the first time in a few years. Now I'm watching it's Dinner commentary.
[color="Purple"]God Is Good All The Time :angel:![/color]
Angel Tifa

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:48 am

Tonight I watched Girlfight and Let the Right One In.
GhostontheNet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:52 am

I last watched The Blues Brothers. Meh. What a boring movie. Maybe it's just because I can't stand blues or jazz at all...but there seemed to be little depth, point, or quality in this movie at all. It didn't help that the two main characters wore sunglasses the whole time and hardly wore any kind of expression at all.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Makachop^^128 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:49 pm

just watched Whisper of the heart
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:39 pm

While it's slightly late, last night I watched Easy Rider and Pieces of April.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:28 am

Tonight I watched Northanger Abbey.
GhostontheNet

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:58 am

GhostontheNet (post: 1348778) wrote:Tonight I watched Northanger Abbey.

ah! such a good movie, and book.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Just saw Terry Gilliam's Brazil, and now I can't get that freaking theme song out of my head...
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby ich1990 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:39 pm

Seven Pounds

I never really cared for Will Smith until he started making "serious films", such as The Pursuit of Happyness and now Seven Pounds. In these two films, however, he really stands out as an amazing actor playing heroic individuals.

If at all possible see this movie without learning anything about it. I, unfortunately, had the incredibly good ending spoiled by the PluggedIn review which certainly took a bit away from the impact of the movie. Even with the ending spoiled, I enjoyed this movie. I can't understand why critics didn't like it. It is a bit long and a tad over-dramatic at times, but that hardly warrants the kind of reviews this one has been getting.

About its philosophy:[spoiler]I think Will Smith's characters actions were for the most part honorable. That will probably freak out some people, but what greater love has a man than to lay down his life for another? The only part where he really screwed up is when he fell for the main woman (Emily?), which seems kind of cheap considering he is sacrificing himself to (at least in part) make up for the death of his wife. At least he did the right thing in the end.[/spoiler]

State of Play

A fine political/journalist suspense story. Dynamic characters, occasional action, a few twists, and some obvious lampooning of Blackwater Corp.; not much to complain about, actually.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:56 pm

The Message.

To give you people an idea of how old this is, we had to stop after two hours to find the second VHS tape.

As for the film itself, it's the story of the birth of Islam, which cleverly circumvents Islamic law that you shall not depict Muhammad by not having him in it at all, instead having a lot of characters running out of tents and caves, "Muhammad has just told me," or addressing the camera in a serious fashion when speaking directly with the man.
Fish and Chips

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:35 am

Tonight I watched An American Werewolf in London and Ginger Snaps.

Makachop^^128 (post: 1348816) wrote:ah! such a good movie, and book.
Quite so. It's interesting to see a film about contemporaneous reception of the Gothic novel in the form of Jane Austen's loving parody of it, having put a bit of research into this very topic. Have you read any of the Gothic novels of this period? If not, then you might want to check out The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe as a starting place.
GhostontheNet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:12 am

Serenity - A really fun movie for a fan of Firefly. It pulled together all the loose ends from the show, except maybe Shepherd Book's history, and had a really emotional ending.

Stealth - An enjoyable action flick; not too demanding in terms of attention or emotion.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GeneD » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:29 pm

I just finished Death Becomes Her. Strange and funny. :D
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:45 pm

I just watched 12 Monkeys.

Pretty good movie, but as much as I respect Terry Gilliam for his talent, I just don't enjoy his style when placed outside of silly things. A truly great movie though.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:14 pm

You know, in general I agree with you about the "Gilliam Style" not working outside of a fantastical context (The Fisher King, for example, just didn't work for me) but I actually think it fits 12 Monkeys perfectly. It's a kinda fantastical story, after all.

Anyway, I just watched Monsters vs. Aliens tonight and enjoyed it WAY more than I expected to.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Squeakmaster » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:06 pm

I recently watched Donnie Darko...

It was amazing. I honestly didn't even get like half of it, and I wanna see it again soooo bad now, to try to understand...plus everyone kept pointing out Frank in various locations (I was watching with a bunch of friends from Band) and I was like, "What? Where?!" Frank creeped the heck out of me...when I initially heard about him, I was expecting a giant fluffy pink bunny...but at any rate, this movie really makes you think, and I ADORE movies that are like that.

Then we watched Across The Universe...

That whole movie is literally a giant acid trip. You probably don't want to see it...esp. after seeing Donnie Darko...and when it's like 1 a.m. XD
[color="Lime"]To ten million fireflies,
I'm wierd cause I hate good byes,
I got misty eyes as they said farewell...
Fireflies - Owl City
Everyone complains about how mainstream they are, but...they're still amazing.
[/color]
Squeakmaster

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:20 pm

I finally got time to finish the MST3K version of Pod People. It's a slasher movie involving the world's most unintentionally hilarious music supergroup on a camping trip, mashed together with an ET-type "a boy and his alien" plot, and the credits are from a completely different movie. As you would expect, Joel and the 'Bots have a field day with it. (You can watch it on Google Video if it interests you, free and legal.)

It stinks!

Also, on a plane trip a few weeks ago, I saw Night at the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian. The first one was OK, but the second isn't worth the time. It is as disjointed as Pod People was. Stuff happens that doesn't seem to make sense or come together, it tries too hard to be funny, etc. Really, the special effects are the best part of the movie. A shame they didn't spend more time actually making the rest of the movie as good. It's not like I was expecting much from it, but it didn't even meet those expectations.

(On the way back, Grey Gardens was showing. It didn't show in theaters in my area, so I had never heard of it. It appeared to be some sort of melodramatic biopic. Didn't really interest me, so I can't say anything about it.)
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:57 pm

Tonight I watched Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal.
GhostontheNet

Postby RobinSena » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:18 am

Last night I watched Chocolate.. Great movie, I'm glad to see that Netflix is adding some more Asian films to their online catalog.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:59 am

Tonight I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Fall of the House of Usher.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:23 am

Tonight I watched Underworld.
GhostontheNet

Postby Barracuda777 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:40 am

the other day me and my friends from my bible study group watched all 3 of the extended lord of the rings movies.....i was awake for 35 hours
Barracuda777

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Trying to watch Halloween movies. I just finished Halloween H20 and I will watch the old Dracula film soon.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:50 am

Tonight I watched Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist.
GhostontheNet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:51 am

I watched The Last Laugh, a silent film from the '20s about a man in Germany who loses his job but eventually gets "the last laugh". It was amazing. I just sat there in awe, watching how they crafted this story almost effortlessly, without any words (not even written words showing on the screen in between scenes), and you understood it completely. And the music! Usually music in movies is just there to sort of off-set the emotions you're supposed to be getting from the dialogue and action, but in a silent film, music is everything. It tells you, more immediately and accurately than words, what the characters are feeling. I would seriously recommend this to anyone who can appreciate seeing where modern techniques came from, and how people used to make movies before they had the technology we've got today.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:23 am

Earlier I watched House of Wax (1953) with my friend Amy, and tonight I watched Moulin Rouge.
GhostontheNet

Postby ich1990 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Apollo 13

My first time watching it, I am ashamed to say. It is a fantastic movie. It drives home the idea that "holy cow, we really did put people into space".
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment