The [xyz] of Suzumiya Haruhi

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Yamamaya » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:47 pm

I can only see one way they can redeem themselves from the disaster that was season 2 and that would be to make another Haruhi season in another year or so.
Yamamaya

Postby Kung_Fu_Master » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Edit:except it is good

My bad.
World Domination or Bust :thumb:
Kung_Fu_Master

Location: In the Animation department at school with hours of homework.

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:32 pm

Kung_Fu_Master (post: 1348205) wrote:accept it is good

DO you mean "except it's good" or "Accept that it is good"

Either way, that 8 episodes of the same thing was an insult to fans... There's no way anyone could argue for that one, really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:55 pm

That's almost as good as Hirano Aya. BRRNNNNN
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:39 am

EDIT: LOLOLOL whoops, never mind:

blkmage

Postby TriezGamer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:57 am

Embraced by a gentle breeze, my heart breaks as I think of you.
All alone at the top of the hill, I watch as the seasons go by.
--
Wishing for courage softly, I pray.
There's no going back now, to those tender days when you held me in your arms.

MOES "I can has Sane Sig now?"
TriezGamer

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:59 am

So, time for some hard-hitting analysis.

This announcement actually explains everything they've done with the "second season". If they planned for Disappearance to be made into a movie, then they'd have to have some way of animating the chapters that the skipped over when they did the first season. Unfortunately, as we've seen, the chapters on their own would likely not have been able to stand on their own. So what did they do? They combined the new chapters with the old season and reaired the entire thing.

This also explains why Endless Eight was eight episodes long. Since there were only three stories that could be animated (since every other arc that hasn't been adapted takes place after Disappearance), they had to somehow fill one cour of episodes. Luckily enough for them, there's a story that has a time loop!

So their challenge was to somehow get those chapters out there so that people could go into Disappearance properly. The stuff in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody in particular plays a pretty important role in Disappearance. Endless Eight is less important, but sets up Yuki's character. Sighs gets into more Haruhi world-changing, but more importantly, fleshes out the other characters a bit more and elaborates a bit more on their factions.

So what about the fact that Disappearance is going to be a movie? I think it's a great medium to do it in. Disappearance is definitely a fantastic enough arc that it would work in movie format. Thinking about it, it might be the only arc so far that would work as a movie. And this way, it can stand alone without being distracted by other arcs or chapters in a show and it wouldn't suffer from having to be broken up into weekly episodes.
blkmage

Postby TriezGamer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:53 pm

blkmage (post: 1349709) wrote:So, time for some hard-hitting analysis.

This announcement actually explains everything they've done with the "second season". If they planned for Disappearance to be made into a movie, then they'd have to have some way of animating the chapters that the skipped over when they did the first season. Unfortunately, as we've seen, the chapters on their own would likely not have been able to stand on their own. So what did they do? They combined the new chapters with the old season and reaired the entire thing.

This also explains why Endless Eight was eight episodes long. Since there were only three stories that could be animated (since every other arc that hasn't been adapted takes place after Disappearance), they had to somehow fill one cour of episodes. Luckily enough for them, there's a story that has a time loop!

So their challenge was to somehow get those chapters out there so that people could go into Disappearance properly. The stuff in Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody in particular plays a pretty important role in Disappearance. Endless Eight is less important, but sets up Yuki's character. Sighs gets into more Haruhi world-changing, but more importantly, fleshes out the other characters a bit more and elaborates a bit more on their factions.

So what about the fact that Disappearance is going to be a movie? I think it's a great medium to do it in. Disappearance is definitely a fantastic enough arc that it would work in movie format. Thinking about it, it might be the only arc so far that would work as a movie. And this way, it can stand alone without being distracted by other arcs or chapters in a show and it wouldn't suffer from having to be broken up into weekly episodes.

Mind if I repost that to another forum? You phrased it quite well.
--

TriezGamer

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:07 pm

Sure, go ahead.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:30 pm

Intriguing, so there actually was a reason behind that travesty.

Well it's a good thing they decided to make a movie, otherwise the Haruhists would set fire to KyoAnimation.

Although it might be almost funny if KyoAnimation decided to troll everyone by making the movie into an extended version of E8 XD.
Yamamaya

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 pm

Sort of amusing how fast you people are to forgive KyoAni. They trolled us, but there's a movie deal guys. In fact, that's why they trolled us. Everything makes sense now. KyoAni aren't trolls, they're heroes! The desire to make more money conquers all!
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:43 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1349764) wrote:Sort of amusing how fast you people are to forgive KyoAni. They trolled us, but there's a movie deal guys. In fact, that's why they trolled us. Everything makes sense now. KyoAni aren't trolls, they're heroes! The desire to make more money conquers all!

I'm sorry that I gave the impression that I retroactively enjoyed the second season because this announcement explains their terrible thought processes. I believe my post was more of a "wow, so this is the reason KyoAni went insane" and a "Disappearance sure could be good".

I mean, I'm not sure what you're expecting me to do. I liked The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya when I read it. Am I supposed to refuse watching KyoAni's movie out of righteous anger or something? Just like how I'm not going to retroactively hate Haruhi's first season like many people are quick to do, I'm not going to preemptively hate their future works that I haven't seen. I don't think I've ever indicated that I'd never watch another of their shows again.

If that's how it's supposed to work, Sunrise would have gotten axed for SEED Destiny, DEEN for Kenshin's third arc, and BONES for many of their terrible endings.

So, no, I'm perfectly willing to judge a work on its own merits. I'll be looking forward to the Disappearance movie and my imaginary Little Busters! anime and Planetarian OVA over here, thanks.
blkmage

Postby TriezGamer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:30 pm

blkmage (post: 1349778) wrote:Planetarian OVA over here, thanks.

;-;
--

TriezGamer

Postby blkmage » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:45 pm

[quote="TriezGamer (post: 1349786)"]]
What do you think about the planetarium? That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter when. All the stars in the sky are waiting for you.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:30 pm

blkmage (post: 1349778) wrote:I'm sorry that I gave the impression that I retroactively enjoyed the second season because this announcement explains their terrible thought processes. I believe my post was more of a "wow, so this is the reason KyoAni went insane" and a "Disappearance sure could be good".
Ah, I apologize then for reading that into it.
blkmage (post: 1349778) wrote:I mean, I'm not sure what you're expecting me to do. I liked The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya when I read it. Am I supposed to refuse watching KyoAni's movie out of righteous anger or something? Just like how I'm not going to retroactively hate Haruhi's first season like many people are quick to do, I'm not going to preemptively hate their future works that I haven't seen. I don't think I've ever indicated that I'd never watch another of their shows again.
Not at all. I never said there was anything wrong with a film adaption for Disappearance, nor did I say anything to the tune of poisoning the well for all future Haruhi/KyoAni projects]hard-hitting analysis[/I] to smack a little bit of All Is Forgiven with its explanation of everything (something I have already apologized for). "Explains everything they've done...Luckily enough for them...time loop!," etc.
blkmage (post: 1349778) wrote:If that's how it's supposed to work, Sunrise would have gotten axed for SEED Destiny, DEEN for Kenshin's third arc, and BONES for many of their terrible endings.
I will take this in the same snarky spirit that my original comment was made in, thank you very much.
Fish and Chips

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:19 am

I'm looking forward to the movie, but it doesn't fix what they did...

It would be nice, but not likely, for whoever licenses season 2 to reduce Endless 8 into something more manageable. Doing a splitscreen thing showing 4 episodes at a time, where possible, would be kind of interesting, if they can pull it off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby TriezGamer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:48 am

I'd rather they not edit it, but instead release it as a 3/5/3/3 release. That way those who don't want endless eight can cut 5 of the central repetitions by not buying disc 2, and those of us who like it can buy the whole set.
--

TriezGamer

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:53 am

TriezGamer (post: 1349816) wrote:I'd rather they not edit it, but instead release it as a 3/5/3/3 release. That way those who don't want endless eight can cut 5 of the central repetitions by not buying disc 2, and those of us who like it can buy the whole set.

Neither option is likely, though, unfortunately... If it's Funi or Bandai, that 5 episode disc would mean they'd have to put more on a disc than they're used to.
Bobtheduck

Postby blkmage » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:52 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1349814) wrote:I'm looking forward to the movie, but it doesn't fix what they did...

It would be nice, but not likely, for whoever licenses season 2 to reduce Endless 8 into something more manageable. Doing a splitscreen thing showing 4 episodes at a time, where possible, would be kind of interesting, if they can pull it off.

There are a bunch of split-screen Endless Eight videos on Nico Nico Douga, mostly for the middle episodes. It's pretty unwatchable since no episode shares any of scenes or timing or anything.

And HA HA FAT CHANCE that they'll change anything for the US release.
blkmage

Postby TriezGamer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:48 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1349822) wrote:Neither option is likely, though, unfortunately... If it's Funi or Bandai, that 5 episode disc would mean they'd have to put more on a disc than they're used to.

You haven't paid much attention to DVD releases lately, have you?
--

TriezGamer

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Well just thought I'd throw this out here.

Kadokawa Proven Right: Otaku Idiots After All

The second DVD release of the much reviled Endless Eight arc of Haruhi was widely expected to be a complete failure, but the disc actually managed 12,708 copies on its release, hardly down from the first DVD.

It seems Kadokawa was right in its calculations about the Haruhi fanbase – they really will buy four DVDs of all but identical content, apparently out of sheer obsession, even as the cast, production staff and less thoroughly brainwashed fans angrily decried their actions.

They were all wrong – it worked.

Quite possibly all four DVDs will go on to sell over 10,000 each, more than most series ever manage – certainly their average sales will be over 10,000.

It is easy to see why many are now saying that the “moe boom” has been hugely damaging to the anime industry, promoting excessive emphasis on just the kind of titles and marketing which will never earn anything but ridicule from the wider potential audiences shows such as Haruhi now all but eschew, and debasing an art form into a nakedly formulaic exercise in moe marketing…

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby blkmage » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:23 pm

I can't say I'm surprised.
blkmage

Postby Yamamaya » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:59 pm

[quote="Nate (post: 1353993)"]Well just thought I'd throw this out here.

Kadokawa Proven Right: Otaku Idiots After All

The second DVD release of the much reviled Endless Eight arc of Haruhi was widely expected to be a complete failure, but the disc actually managed 12,708 copies on its release, hardly down from the first DVD.

It seems Kadokawa was right in its calculations about the Haruhi fanbase – they really will buy four DVDs of all but identical content, apparently out of sheer obsession, even as the cast, production staff and less thoroughly brainwashed fans angrily decried their actions.

They were all wrong – it worked.

Quite possibly all four DVDs will go on to sell over 10,000 each, more than most series ever manage – certainly their average sales will be over 10,000.

It is easy to see why many are now saying that the “moe boomâ€
Yamamaya

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:25 pm

I'd say this makes me lose faith in humanity, though I never truly had any. They fed the trolls with attention (complaining) and money (buying the troll episodes)

I did the former, but I certainly won't do that latter...
Bobtheduck

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:01 am

10,000 is a good run? I had no idea the volume on anime DVDs was so scant.
Cap'n Nick

Postby blkmage » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:06 am

Cap'n Nick (post: 1354150) wrote:10,000 is a good run? I had no idea the volume on anime DVDs was so scant.

For the first week. For comparison, Bakemonogatari vol. 2, Hidamari Sketch x365 specials, and Gundam 00 SE I all were out on their first week too. Bakemonogatari was the only one significantly ahead at about 18000 DVDs and 39000 BRDs, but that's insanely popular right now. Gundam 00 SE I (which is just a recap movie) and Hidamari (which was the two TV specials from the last two weeks) were at 11000 and 10000 respectively. Also, CENCOROLL only pushed just over 7000 DVDs for its first week and the Shana S OVA sold only over 4000. And since I have the numbers handy, the only GONZO shows that sold more than 10000 DVDs of the first volume are Vandread and Strike Witches.
blkmage

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:34 am

That makes more sense. And I think I was comparing those figures to American DVD sales. If a little quick Googling is to be believed, the new Transformers movie sold more copies in its first week than the entire top thirty anime of 2008 did in their first year.

It really makes me conscious of the difference in market sizes. Like you could conceivably cram every Haruhi fan on the planet into a single baseball stadium. What you do with us once you get us there is up to you.
Cap'n Nick

Postby blkmage » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:58 pm

In other news, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya will be in theatres February 6, 2010.
blkmage

Postby Nate » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:35 pm

The movie will be 1 hour and 15 minutes of a still picture of Haruhi, slowly fading into darkness.

Not really, but it'd be pretty hilarious if it was. It'd probably be hailed as a great work of art though, I mean, Empire is hailed as a great movie and culturally significant and all it is is eight hours of a single shot of the Empire State Building.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews