Anime questions.

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime questions.

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi, I'm just posting to ask a few questions about some animes my sister and I want to try out. First anime I want to ask about is Rurouni Kenshin. I read a christian review somewhere before that said it was pretty much clean except the violence is really hardcore, how bad exactly is it? My parents don't want me watching extremely violent animes.
The second anime I'm asking about is Lovely Complex. I heard it's got some sort of gay couple in it? Is that true or was that just a lie?
Third is Toradora. Does this anime have anything questionable?
Fourth, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. Does this have anything evil?
And I'm also wondering about Romio x Juliet, Clannad, and Peach Girl. Anything bad? Thanks. :jump:
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby theanimeguy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:31 pm

Welcome AngelicTotoro! I don't know about all the shows you are asking about but as for a few of them I can help you out.

Rurouni Kenshin is really not that violent. There are a lot of sword fights but none of them would go beyond a TV-PG rating to me. If I remember correctly there was some blood in some episodes but it is really not that heavy. The DVD series should be fine if your older than 13/14 but you may want to view the trailer here (it is from Cartoon Network which means there were probably edits but that will still give you a good idea of what to expect throughout the series.):

http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/ (Go to Rurouni Kenshin and select the Long Promo)

You should definitely stay away from the 4-episode OVA title Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal, its the prologue story to the TV series that is extremely violent if not brutal at times. I would not recommend it to anyone under 17.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle. I have not watched much of this at all but from what I've seen and heard I would once again not elevate it over a TV-PG rating. Its pretty tame from what I hear and I would suggest it to anyone 12 and older. You have your standard monster fare and magic elements but its nothing that is that objectionable at all. Check out the main website here:

http://funimation.com/yuko/

Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations is more violent from what I hear but it has not been released in the US yet. Toradoa (also not on DVD in the US yet) has nudity/alchohol/mature themes in it and I would approach that show with caution or avoid it. Clannad seems alright on the outside, but I would probably stay away from it just because of the reputation the creators have since they make PC games in Japan about the shows before releasing the anime shows, and though Clannad is their most tame, the other anime PC games they have made (Kanon and Air) are very mature. Though the shows tend not to be as mature you are still opening yourself up to some trouble. Probably best to stay away. There are better series IMHO than Clannad. I believe that the rumors about Lovely Complex are correct, and as for Romeo x Juliet I don't know to much but I would expect some violence in it. Peach Girl manga has some mature themes in it but I am not sure if they transfer into the anime or not, but I have heard the later episodes of the show have more maturethemes/violence but I don't know as to why.

So there you have it, hope that helps. If you would like to know about more series or would like to have some recommendations I'd be glad to help.
theanimeguy

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Neeeh, ToraDora is not all that clean but it's not bad content. I've seen up to 20 some eps of ToraDora and there is a female character that attempts to seduce another male but nothing ever really happens. One male character comes out in nothing but a towel and another crazy female snaps pictures of him repeatedly. His towel falls off and she faints. It was for comedy purposes but it's still there. Then there's a scene where a guy accidentally walks in on a female that seems like she's taking a shower but she's just cleaning it.

Taiga is also teased for her rather small breasts and another male character sews padding for her before a swimming match. One padding comes out during the match and he puts it back in but you don't see anything.

I can't think of anything else besides some language here and there. I've only seen up to 20 though so I can't say for any more.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby blkmage » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:12 pm

theanimeguy (post: 1347588) wrote:Clannad seems alright on the outside, but I would probably stay away from it just because of the reputation the creators have since they make PC games in Japan about the shows before releasing the anime shows, and though Clannad is their most tame, the other anime PC games they have made (Kanon and Air) are very mature. Though the shows tend not to be as mature you are still opening yourself up to some trouble. Probably best to stay away. There are better series IMHO than Clannad.

Are you serious? If we're going to be recommending shows based on the material present in the source material as opposed to the adaptation (which is often purged of much offending material), then there are tons of shows that should be avoided. Liked Fate/stay night or Tsukihime? Well, they were based on mature PC games too.

And if we're going to be avoiding things based on the reputation of who created it, then I can find something that every studio has done that should cause us to avoid it. Liked Haruhi? Well the same studio adapted Kanon and Air! Liked Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei? SHAFT also did ef! Liked Kenshin? Well, DEEN did Fs/n too! Liked Honey and Clover? Well JC Staff also adapted Kimi-kiss. Oh well. We can extend this ridiculous line of thinking to directors, writers, voice actors, etc.

I don't understand how watching Clannad/Air/Kanon can open you up to trouble unless you are suddenly compelled to go through the trial that is ordering the corresponding games and going through the arduous task of patching it with an English translation if one even exists. Clannad, in particular, is completely innocuous, since, unlike Air and Kanon, it isn't even an H-game.

And I find it pretty unbelievable that you can claim that there are better shows than Clannad when, based on the thread inquiring about the show, you haven't even watched it yourself. I've already presented (at least a few times) why I think Clannad is a masterpiece and why I'd be hard-pressed to find a show of its caliber. I feel like I've made a pretty strong case for it.

Yeah, I'm not particularly happy that you've dismissed one of my favourite shows for reasons that are completely unrelated to the material in the show or its merits.

You can make suggestions based on art or genre, but the specific content of a show varies wildly even if the same staff is working on it. Unless you concretely know the details of a given show, making a suggestion based on hearsay and assumptions often does a disservice to the person you're offering your opinion to.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:30 pm

theanimeguy (post: 1347588) wrote:Welcome AngelicTotoro! I don't know about all the shows you are asking about but as for a few of them I can help you out.

Rurouni Kenshin is really not that violent. There are a lot of sword fights but none of them would go beyond a TV-PG rating to me. If I remember correctly there was some blood in some episodes but it is really not that heavy. The DVD series should be fine if your older than 13/14 but you may want to view the trailer here (it is from Cartoon Network which means there were probably edits but that will still give you a good idea of what to expect throughout the series.):

http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/ (Go to Rurouni Kenshin and select the Long Promo)

To add a bit of clarification about Rurouni Kenshin. It's a rather bloody series throughout, but not a gorey series. And killing is not glorified (it's mainly the bad guys that kill and draw the most blood). It's a good series about someone trying to atone for their past sins and the troubles and bumps in the road he faces.

The PC game aside, because I have not played it, Air (TV) is a beautiful and bittersweet anime. It's quite clean content wise besides a bit of blood in a few later episodes and one particular scene in one episode that doesn't last very long and it's definitely not M rated worthy.
goldenspines

Postby minakichan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Lovely Complex has a male character that essentially is going through gender identity disorder-- looks, dresses, acts like a girl, likes boys. There aren't any gay couples; although he does have a crush on the male lead, it doesn't go anywhere.

Romeo x Juliet has one scene where the male is topless and the girl is essentially in underwear-- but not modern underwear, it's just a tanktop and isn't revealing. It's not that big a deal. There's blood violence though, but it's like barely PG-13.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby MasterDias » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Toradora! has some mild innuendo scattered throughout but no real fanservice outside of a couple of swimsuit shots from what I remember.

The Rurouni Kenshin TV series pretty much just has violence for the most part but it's not very extreme.

And finally, why isn't this in the Anime Recommendations thread?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby everdred12a » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:30 pm

I can't really add anything to this conversation that blkmage didn't already add. I pretty much agree with him 100% on his post.

I will say though, the F/SN and Tsukihime games are better than their respective animes.

everdred12a

Postby Maokun » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:38 am

To chime in with answers that haven't been posted yet:

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles as a series in pretty inocuous. It could even be called "cute". However the whole premise is built upon magic, and very explicitly so. This might be turn off for some viewers.

Peach Girl is set in a High School and attempts to be quite realistic so you'll find it touches several controversial topics realted to japanese youths, although nothing is explicitly shown in "camera" and always under a negative light where is due to. I personally felt like watching a soap opera.
Maokun

Postby AngelicTotoro » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:06 pm

Thanks for helping me out. ^^ I guess I'll watch the first episode of Lovely Complex and Toradora to see for myself if I deem it appropriate, they don't sound horrible.:grin: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Romio x Juliet, and Clannad sound perfectly fine. I'll be sure to watch those and see if I like them. Peach Girl sounds iffy but I'll try it out. Rurouni Kenshin sounds alright but I don't like it when an anime has a lot of blood. :shake:

Oh, and sorry if I put this in the wrong section. ^^;
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby That Dude » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:58 pm

I would totally recommend Rurouni Kenshin. It's very good and pretty tame as long as you stay away from the OVA's (which are amazing, but very violent.)
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby steenajack » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

I read (on wikipedia) that Clannad had NO FANSERVICE in it. Even in the PC game there was nothing like that except for one minor scene. The series sounds very interesting. I may even try it out.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby TriezGamer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Clannad has a couple of situationally questionable scenes, but has virtually no fanservice of the exposed-skin variety.
Embraced by a gentle breeze, my heart breaks as I think of you.
All alone at the top of the hill, I watch as the seasons go by.
--
Wishing for courage softly, I pray.
There's no going back now, to those tender days when you held me in your arms.

MOES "I can has Sane Sig now?"
TriezGamer

More anime questions

Postby AngelicTotoro » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:52 pm

My sister has a few more animes that she would like to ask you guys about. :dizzy:

Hey, so yeah. Here are the titles;

Shugo Chara
Glass Mask
Ah! My Goddess (every series except the ovas)
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
Mermaid Melody

Tell me about anything bad these shows might have. And the biggest thing I try to avoid is bad religion stuff. :eyeroll:
AngelicTotoro

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:47 pm

I merged your new thread with your slightly older one, since the older one is too recent to warrant a new one.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby AngelicTotoro » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:41 am

Ohh alright, thats fine. ^^ Thank you.
AngelicTotoro

Postby AJV » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:21 am

Hi there AngelicTotoro,

I can't really tell you much about most of those animes, but I think I can tell about Shugo Chara.
First here's a dicription of it from crunchyroll.com:
Amu Hinamori is a 5th grade transfer student who is fashionably cool, tough and independent. Despite this, she is also a girl who seems unapproachable, both at home and at school. In reality, the "Cool and Spicy" role she plays is just a facade that she unconsciously plays. In fact, like most other girls, Amu is childish, timid and romantic. Desperate to behave the way she really feels, she goes to bed one night praying for a miracle to happen. Much to her surprise, she wakes up the following morning to find three decorated eggs on her. From that morning on, Amu is shocked to find herself starting to behave the way she really feels. When each egg hatches, a little Guardian Character emerges to help Amu express her different selves.

It's a pretty clean show and it's very cute. Kinda like Salior Moon but unique in it's own way.
One thing I might mention is that in some of the first episodes (and in some of the later ones) there is a fortune teller character and some references to astrology (or something like that). Other than that, I think it's still pretty clean. It's the first show in the Magical girl genre that I ever watched and I really enjoyed it. I hope that was helpful. :D

Check it out here at:http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Shugo_Chara
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Postby AngelicTotoro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:01 pm

AJV (post: 1351060) wrote:Hi there AngelicTotoro,

I can't really tell you much about most of those animes, but I think I can tell about Shugo Chara.
First here's a dicription of it from crunchyroll.com:

It's a pretty clean show and it's very cute. Kinda like Salior Moon but unique in it's own way.
One thing I might mention is that in some of the first episodes (and in some of the later ones) there is a fortune teller character and some references to astrology (or something like that). Other than that, I think it's still pretty clean. It's the first show in the Magical girl genre that I ever watched and I really enjoyed it. I hope that was helpful. :D

Check it out here at:http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Shugo_Chara

Oh, that sounds super clean, I may not like to watch shows with fortune tellers in them but if she's only in a few episodes that's fine. :grin: And since I'm part of Crunchyroll I can watch it there. Yay! Thank you.

Can anyone help me with the other titles I asked about? And I want to add Princess Tutu in there.
AngelicTotoro

Postby Maokun » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:25 am

Ah! My Goddess is a really beautiful anime, very romantic. It does have a few risqué harem-ish scenes but they all submit and pale before the touchingly pure love between the main characters. Personally, I Like the OVA and movie more than the series. The series tend to drag on more domestic, slice-of-life situations that make it too slow for my taste. (Then again, I grew bored after the first 10 episodes and stopped watching, perhaps it picks up later?) The spinoff Ah! Mini Goddesses is absolutely adorable and genuinously funny.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles is also very cute and beautiful; however, if you would mind the rare references of fortune telling in Shugo Chara, you'd probably be totally turned off by the huge amounts of fortune-telling, black-ish magic and mystical elements in TRC.

Instead of it, I'd definitely reccomend its parent series, Card Captor Sakura, which has a much more toned down used of magic and is almost perfectly clean and adorable. ("Almost" because the very slight references to homosexuality in it)
Maokun

Postby AngelicTotoro » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:11 am

[quote="Maokun (post: 1352944)"]Ah! My Goddess is a really beautiful anime, very romantic. It does have a few risqué harem-ish scenes but they all submit and pale before the touchingly pure love between the main characters. Personally, I Like the OVA and movie more than the series. The series tend to drag on more domestic, slice-of-life situations that make it too slow for my taste. (Then again, I grew bored after the first 10 episodes and stopped watching, perhaps it picks up later?) The spinoff Ah! Mini Goddesses is absolutely adorable and genuinously funny.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles is also very cute and beautiful]
Thank you for helping me figure this out. I have a couple more questions... :)

Ah! My Goddess: From what you say, it seems perfectly fine, but since I like slice of life type shows, I'll watch the both season of the tv show, and probably watch the ova's after, just for fun. ;)

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles: Hmm, it really depends on what kind of black magic and fortune telling you're talking about.
Are any of the characters witches? Or calling on the powers of, 'you know who'?
I don't mind mystical things, as long as it doesn't get super weird or anything, like saying a lot of long spells or any evil spells.

Card Captor Sakura: It sounds really cute, the main reason I didn't ask about it was because I had heard about it having some kind of homosexuality in it.
It is super obvious, or is it more like admiration?
(Black magic, and homosexuality are my biggest thing to deal with in anime, since it bothers me and my siblings quite a bit, plus my parents would not want us watching anything that has a lot of that in it.)
AngelicTotoro

Postby Maokun » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:15 pm

AngelicTotoro (post: 1352971) wrote:Thank you for helping me figure this out. I have a couple more questions... :)

Ah! My Goddess: From what you say, it seems perfectly fine, but since I like slice of life type shows, I'll watch the both season of the tv show, and probably watch the ova's after, just for fun. ]

If you plan on watching all, I'd go with the OVA first, then the series, then the movie, then Ah! Mini Goddesses.

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles: Hmm, it really depends on what kind of black magic and fortune telling you're talking about.
Are any of the characters witches? Or calling on the powers of, 'you know who'?
I don't mind mystical things, as long as it doesn't get super weird or anything, like saying a lot of long spells or any evil spells.

There IS a witch and fortune telling and other magicks are made using what definitely seems like occult rites. Obviously this is only for flavour as said magicks are not supposed to be inherently evil. Watch the first episode, which I'm sure can be found streaming somewhere. It displays pretty much all the recurrent themes of the series.

Card Captor Sakura: It sounds really cute, the main reason I didn't ask about it was because I had heard about it having some kind of homosexuality in it.
It is super obvious, or is it more like admiration?
(Black magic, and homosexuality are my biggest thing to deal with in anime, since it bothers me and my siblings quite a bit, plus my parents would not want us watching anything that has a lot of that in it.)

It's only slightly hinted and never confirmed. In one case is outright explained as not love but "magical affinity" and after that not mentioned again. The other cases are very platonic friendships and besides a slightly above average tenderness, nothing else is ever said or done.
Maokun

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews