Anime series you can't beleive they released in the US

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Anime series you can't beleive they released in the US

Postby theanimeguy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:22 pm

I've been an anime fan for several years now, and due to my tastes and likes I don't buy too much too often. There is one thing though that really keeps me from buying a series, because its overseas.

This year though, despite a suffering anime market in the US, there have been some shows that I am really glad and really surprised to see on our side of the Pacific pond. Shows like Aria - The Animation (last year), Aria - The Natural, Honey & Clover, and more are ones that I'm really happy about.

Still, there are shows like Nodame Cantabile and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, that I hope to see here some day too. So what about you guys, any shows you can't believe are here or ones you still want to come?
theanimeguy

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:49 pm

I was kind of surprised that Baccano got licensed as quickly as it did. When I watched it, not many people knew about it so I thought it was going to remain one of those obscure, unlicensed titles. Also, I'm surprised that they've already decided to release the 20th Century Boys movies over here. It's super awesome that they did, but I certainly didn't expect it to happen, much less this soon.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:01 pm

That Reign was pick up in the US and even put on TV for that matter.

You know that an anime is bad, when fansubs and even bootlegs don't even waste their time with it.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1346002) wrote:That Reign was pick up in the US and even put on TV for that matter.

You know that an anime is bad, when fansubs and even bootlegs don't even waste their time with it.

Col. Roy Mustang

AMEN Brodda!

Anyway, I don't have any ill will towards "Blue Gender", it's a very deep story, but I can't believe that it made it on our shores--one better, how the heck did it make it on Adult Swim?! And don't get me started as to why Funimation picked it up--one would've thought that Manga Entertainment would've jumped on that bandwagon.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:50 am

A very sizable portion of Central Park Media's old catalog comes to mind (AKA, The House MD Geist Built). On the one hand, I guess I shouldn't REALLY be surprised that someone looked at giant piles of blood and exploding robots and though "HEY! The kids will LOVE this!" Still, trying to sit through stuff like Odin: Starlight Mutiny and Battle Arena Toshinden wound the soul. How could they think ANYONE would want to watch something so boring?

...well, maybe I should be a little nicer. I mean, they DID bring us Now & Then, Here & There and Grave of the Fireflies
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:34 am

I wish they'd bring over Aishiteruze Baby That's such a great story, and Viz has the manga over here... It would be a great Shojo title X3.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby airichan623 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm really surprised they put Code Geass on Cartoon Network. I mean, it seems good, but the bad guy!! (under the name Britannia but the attack arrows are coming from the US). And i am surprised Viz is gonna try dubbing Kirarin Revolution. Its gonna flop I know it and ruin the original. :(

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby ilikegir33 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:54 pm

When the Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei manga was released, I was very pleasantly surprised. It has sold well, because volume 3 was ranked #7 on the New York Times manga best-seller list a few weeks ago. Now, hopefully someone will license the anime.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:56 pm

airichan623 wrote:I'm really surprised they put Code Geass on Cartoon Network. I mean, it seems good, but the bad guy!! (under the name Britannia but the attack arrows are coming from the US)(

Code Geass was a big hit even before it made its way to the US via fansubs. So most people knew what the plot was about.

The Holy Britannian Empire was an imperial monarchy and the most prominent superpower within the world of Code Geass, controlling over one-third of the world at the start of the series, based in North America with Pendragon as its imperial city. That is why you saw the arrows coming from the US.

Britannian Empire controls the entire Western Hemisphere (both American continents), New Zealand, and recently conquered Japan, as well as the recently conquered "Area 18" in the Middle East region. During season two, Britannia successfully conquers about half of the rival "Euro Universe" superpower]
[color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:08 pm

Britannia is what happens when the colonies lost the American Revolution, Britain lost the Napoleonic wars and was then forced to relocate to the American continent...or something like that...

So, the United States never existed. But yeah, as Roy said, neither side is portrayed in a very flattering light.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:34 am

Super Milk-chan. What possessed people to license this series? It was awful!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:23 pm

Nobody has licensed Kaiba.

I have no idea why.

Nobody's licensed Akagi or Kaiji either, but them I can sort of understand (unconventional art style, subject matter, etc.). Similarly, I wouldn't plan on Legend of the Galactic Heroes to get picked up this side of the Pacific.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:49 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1346322) wrote:Nobody has licensed Kaiba.

I have no idea why.

Nobody's licensed Akagi or Kaiji either, but them I can sort of understand (unconventional art style, subject matter, etc.). Similarly, I wouldn't plan on Legend of the Galactic Heroes to get picked up this side of the Pacific.

Well, Kaiba is relatively new.

My guess is that it's probably considered too weird, kind of like Akagi and Kaiji. Of course, no one has licensed Dennou Coil, which is much less weird. Also, no one has licensed Nodame Cantabile, which is stupefying. And no one has licensed Minami-ke or Hidamari Sketch, leaving only the likes of Lucky Star to attempt to grow the genre that Azumanga Daioh has become representative of.

And, well, LOGH, yeah.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:17 pm

blkmage (post: 1346325) wrote:And, well, LOGH, yeah.
Hey guys, let's market a 110 episode series with a dated art style and extensive voice work that almost nobody will buy in this and most other economies.

Great work team.
Fish and Chips

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:24 pm

Bobobo bo bo bobo(or however the crap you spell it). I mean come on, who in the world thought it would be a good idea to release that!?
Yamamaya

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:26 pm

some people on some very psychedelic drugs.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Another one that I was pleasantly surprised that was liscended would be Excel Saga.

Another example of drugs.:grin:

And the Ping Pong Club.

Who's idea was it to release that?! It goes beyond the level of South Park!
Yamamaya

Postby blkmage » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1346328) wrote:Hey guys, let's market a 110 episode series with a dated art style and extensive voice work that almost nobody will buy in this and most other economies.

Great work team.

The 22 LOGH fans in North America would appreciate it. Now they won't have to spend $2000 on a 25-episode LaserDisc set on eBay.
blkmage

Postby Blacklight » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:00 pm

rocklobster (post: 1346278) wrote:Super Milk-chan. What possessed people to license this series? It was awful!

You are talking about Code Geass right?
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:20 pm

I'd have to say the 2 titles that surprised me the most have to be NANA and The Familiar of Zero. NANA mostly because it had been talked about for years until finally Viz released it and The Familiar of Zero that had originally started as a Geneon title (before they R.I.P'ed) than got saved by FUNimation.

Another would be the underrated Strawberry Marshmallow which is in need of a save and re-release in my opinion. ^_^
yukoxholic

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Blacklight (post: 1346485) wrote:You are talking about Code Geass right?
Best post in the thread.
Fish and Chips

Postby goldenspines » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:49 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1346501) wrote:
Blacklight wrote:You are talking about Code Geass right?
Best post in the thread.

This may be the only post of your's I disagree with.

That said, let's avoid bashing certain anime titles and stay on topic.
Speaking of which, what is the topic anyways? Is it about anime we can't believe they released in the US or anime we wish they would release in the US? The replies seem to be all over the place. XD
goldenspines

Postby Blacklight » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:55 pm

I wasn't actually bashing any anime, I was asking if rocklobster was referring to Code Geass, or if it was that "Super Milk-chan" thing, cuz if it was, I feel pretty stupid.
(It was posted right under that whole Code Geass thing.)
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blacklight

Postby rocklobster » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:15 am

I was referring to an anime titled Super Milk-chan. Trust me, it's not a good show at all.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Maledicte » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:09 pm

Maledicte

Postby minakichan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Strike Witches

and particularly

MNEMOSYNE.

Seriously, Code Geass, guys? My anime club showed Mnemosyne because we were like "There's NO WAY this violent druggy explicit-yuri-sex show is going to get licensed in the US!" Boy.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Blacklight » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:26 pm

rocklobster (post: 1346594) wrote:I was referring to an anime titled Super Milk-chan. Trust me, it's not a good show at all.

Sorry, it's just that the first time you said it, it didn't really register in my mind that you could have been talking about an anime. Thank you for clearing that up. :)

(Really sorry, I didn't realize that I had opened that up. Sorry. :( )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blacklight

Postby LadyRushia » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:36 pm

I'm sort of surprised Azumanga Daioh got licensed. I love that series, but when it came out it wasn't really like any series that had done well before. Of course, it ended up being a good thing.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:44 pm

As long as Azumanga has been mentioned, Lucky Star's license baffles me. I don't know how they managed to get around all the cultural references and split licensed between American companies.

Really though, this goes for all reference shows, since they tend towards a more strictly Japanese audience.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 pm

minakichan (post: 1346703) wrote:Strike Witches

and particularly

MNEMOSYNE.

Seriously, Code Geass, guys? My anime club showed Mnemosyne because we were like "There's NO WAY this violent druggy explicit-yuri-sex show is going to get licensed in the US!" Boy.

Oh man, Strike Witches is the most hilarious license ever. I guess you could make a case for Mnemosyne being in the ANIME ISN'T KIDS STUFF GUYS genre, but Strike Witches, I will continue to laugh and laugh and laugh at. Might as well license Kodomo no Jikan or Queen's Blade while they're at it.

Fish and Chips (post: 1346716) wrote:As long as Azumanga has been mentioned, Lucky Star's license baffles me. I don't know how they managed to get around all the cultural references and split licensed between American companies.

Really though, this goes for all reference shows, since they tend towards a more strictly Japanese audience.

Actually, I can see why they might have thought Lucky Star would be a hit: Haruhi fans. That's basically all it has to offer for US audiences. I mean, for strictly non-Japanese/American fans, would they get WA-WA-WASUREMONO, the Comiket stuff, or (particularly in the case of the dub) the many seiyuu jokes? I'd say about half of the jokes in Lucky Star require knowledge of modern Japanese otaku culture.
blkmage

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews