Best title for drawing book on inspiration/imagination & developing ideas?

Talk about anything in here.

Best title for drawing book on inspiration/imagination & developing ideas?

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:04 am

I'm sick of books (though I see the point) that show you how to draw the author's version of a man, woman or monster etc. It's good for practice but what I want to draw my own creations. What I'm looking for is a book about how artists take what they see in nature and around them. How they take that inspiration and creatively add to it, then how they transfer this idea to the page in a coherent manner. Step by step would be great. I want to see everything that goes on in between that and results in an amazing, fantastical artwork.

Here's an explicit example of what I mean: I know how to take one animal and another animal and combine them for interesting/funny results but how does the artist go beyond that and prevent the creature looking JUST like a combination of two real world animals/reptiles/insects etc? Does anyone know what I mean? How do they add that generous level of originality?
Sorry, it's hard to describe. I'm sick of buying good (but quite advanced) 'how to' draw books) and not using them because they're either too difficult or don't give me enough information. I'm just not getting anywhere.

Does anyone know of books that cover that sort of thing in depth? (I'm particularly interested in weird fauna and flora).

Thanks guys!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:11 am

Sorry mods, my computer acted up. Can you please delete this thread and leave the other one? (same title)

Thanks
Warrior 4 Jesus

Return to General