You Know Who Else Planted Commemorative Oaks? HITLER.

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:19 pm

I heard that he actually liked animals and wouldn't allow child abuse when he was in office. Add that to the list of things.
Ante Bellum

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:41 pm

Adolf Hitler gave the order to Ferdinand Porsche to develop a "Volks-Wagen".

So, we shouldn't buy any Volkswagen Beetles!

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:44 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1345789) wrote:Breathed Oxygen

Darn, you got me there >__<

Haha, love you guys <333

Oh yeah, and I planted a tree when I was in Elementary School D:< Does that make me evil >:)

This has been brought to you to show how silly they are being xDDD

.. I CALL SHOT GUN ON THE WAY TO GOOF-OFF \(^__^)/
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby The Banner » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Maybe the whole "Breathing Oxygen" thing is a bit too far. I mean, the tree had a reason more understandable; they didn't want it to be a memorial to Hitler.

Hitler probably didn't give a darn about the oxygen he breathes. He probably paid as much attention to it as I would.

[quote="Tsukuyomi"]What Not To Do, Whoohoo \o.o/

They shouldn't cut it down just because Hitler planted it XDDD That's kinda.. silly ^^]

I didn't get this comment; were you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
The Banner

Postby Nate » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:39 pm

[quote="The Banner"]Maybe the whole "Breathing Oxygen" thing is a bit too far. I mean, the tree had a reason more understandable]
Unless the tree has "Hitler rules!" carved on the trunk, I fail to see how it would be a memorial to him.

That's like saying that the sound financial policies Hitler put in place should be abolished because they're a "memorial" to him. Just because Hitler did or built something is not the same as a memorial.

So yes, the "breathing oxygen" thing is definitely applicable.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby The Banner » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:29 pm

When I said they didn't want it to be a memorial to Hitler, I never said I believed that, did I?

I did use "memorial" quite loosely, though; not like a homage or a tribute. I meant it in the way that if you leave a tree planted by Hitler alone, it would almost seem to some people that the government does not recognize what Hitler did to Poland, even to the point that some people may feel like the oak signifies Hitler's "scratch" on Poland. So sorry for my colloquialistic tendencies.

Otherwise, yes, I understand what you mean; the sound financial policies and all shouldn't be abolished just because Hitler built them.

The "breathing oxygen" thing, though, I still think, is a bit too far. Sure, it's a valid point against those with the whole "cut-down-the-oak tree" view, but I do think it is slightly mocking with the "memorial" thing.

It is quite genius, though.

I do wonder if anyone has been taking what I said the wrong way, so I'll clear it up here: I don't think the tree should be be cut down, as it serves better as a reminder to the victims of the war (instead of a memorial to Hitler). My reason for saying it shouldn't be considered a memorial to Hitler is because that just because Hitler planted it, it doesn't have to be a flag for Hitler.

The work exists outside of the author, does it not?
The Banner

Postby goldenspines » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:29 pm

The Banner, I think people were taking the "Hitler breathed air" as an extreme to ridicule the fact that cutting the tree because Hitler planted it is rather silly.

You seem to agree somewhat on that point though.
I think the tree can serve as a different symbol for everyone. Some people will see it as a reminder of how terrible Hitler was, and some people will see it as moving past how terrible his reign was, and growing from that. Or some people could just see it as a source of shade and oxygen. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:38 pm

Oaks make for a decent and inexpensive cabinet!
Ante Bellum

Postby Tsukuyomi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:54 pm

[quote="The Banner (post: 1345842)"]I didn't get this comment]
I was agreeing with you ^^

If they really do want it to make the tree into a memorial of some sort, then it should symbolize their survival and their overcoming ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:55 pm

You know who else thinks we shouldn't not do stuff just because Hitler did it, but can understand why they're tearing down the tree?

ETOH.

Just sayin'.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:16 pm

I'll admit, I can understand the sentiment in this case, more than the rest of what we typically pick up with this sort of thing, but that nobody had a problem with this tree until, suddenly, it was drawn together with Hitler is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. You might as well draw the breathing oxygen comparison, it still fits.

Hitler planted this tree as a birthday present to himself. Let it grow beyond it's purpose.

Also, Hitler got banned from Xbox Live.
Fish and Chips

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Yeah, well, Hitler also lost his gamer points for cheating.

But, the mindset of the German people, I doubt they're going to see the tree as anything but a Nazi landmark.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:42 pm

This is in Poland.
Fish and Chips

Postby Kaligraphic » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:00 pm

You know who didn't die for your salvation?

HITLER, the selfish jerk. He didn't get me a slurpee, either.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1346014) wrote:This is in Poland.

Heh. Guess I oughta re-read the article. :red:

Still, though, most people wouldn't so charitable as to continue to allow a monument to the leader of an invading country to stand. For right or for wrong.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Nate » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:33 pm

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:Still, though, most people wouldn't so charitable as to continue to allow a monument to the leader of an invading country to stand. For right or for wrong.

So we should demolish the White House (which was rebuilt to spite the Canadians after they burned it down in the War of 1812)?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby S.M.O.G. » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:59 pm

I don't care either way, but I'd like to point out:

You know who created the tree?

GOD!
S.M.O.G.

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:47 pm

You know, I honestly don't care one way or the other. I can see valid points on both sides. If it was my decision, I'd be inclined to get rid of it mostly because it's in the way of the intersection. I'd also be open to proposals for an alternate memorial to the Polish resistance, which the article mentions as a positive thing the tree symbolizes to some. You could even build part of the memorial out of wood from the tree, which to me could symbolize the Polish people's eventual victory over the Nazi regime. Destroying what Hitler planted as a symbol of his dominance and turning it into a positive symbol seems a fitting reversal to me. That way, you clear the way for the intersection (as a denizen of a city with streets wholly unsuitable to its rapid growth, I can tell you that easier traffic flow is a very good thing), remove what offends some as a symbol of Hitler, and replace it with a symbol of national pride. There's no way to please everyone, but I think it's a pretty workable option. I see positives and negatives to either path, though, so at the end of the day I don't really care what they choose.
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Arya Raiin » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:33 pm

S.M.O.G. (post: 1346110) wrote:I don't care either way, but I'd like to point out:

You know who created the tree?

GOD!

Exactly. :)
Arya Raiin

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1345789) wrote:
To make sure people really understand the scope of the problem, I've prepared a sample list of pernicious thing woven into our daily lives that are in fact acts often performed by Adolf Hitler!
For example, Adolf Hitler:
[...]
Used a bipedal ambulatory method
[...]
Catabolized organic chemicals for energy.
And the list goes on.

You have been warned.

Man, he supported that kind of stuff? I can't believe it! Why, just the other day, I was happily catabolizing a few carbohydrates and proteins, y'know, just like any other day, not knowing that I was supporting ADOLF HITLER's agenda. I feel like such a heel now. I need to chop off my leg now and start looking for my favorite flavor of rock.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby jadeTheshade » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:01 pm

i see this disscusion as somehow getting off topic...
>.>
i dunno, maybe it's just me...
[font="Book Antiqua"]two roads diverged in a wood and i
took the one less traveled by
and that has made all the difference
-Robert F[color="black"][color="Blue"][/color][/color]rost[/font]
jadeTheshade

Postby Ingemar » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:11 pm

This is nothing but a pointless witch hunt with an innocent oak tree involved. Hitler killed millions of people; the tree uptook millions of molecules of water and nitrogen salts. The former was the deliberate action of an evil man; the latter is the natural action of [REDACTED] tree.

Hopefully the tree will never be ground into a pulp on which the words of Mein Kampf are printed.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Previous

Return to General