You Know Who Else Planted Commemorative Oaks? HITLER.

Talk about anything in here.

You Know Who Else Planted Commemorative Oaks? HITLER.

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Don't celebrate Arbor Day this year you guys.
Spiegel Online wrote:Adolf Hitler marked his birthday 67 years ago by planting an oak seedling in the Nazi-occupied city of Jaslo in Poland. Almost seven decades later, the tree is the subject of heated debate as the city mayor, previously unaware of its history, calls for it to be felled.

Getting permission to chop down a tree for the building of an intersection is not unusual. What is slightly rarer is the discovery that that tree was bequeathed to the city by the most famous dictator of the last century. An oak tree that had been growing in the Polish city of Jaslo for almost 70 years now faces the chop as its links with Hitler are revealed.

The controversial oak tree that is dividing opinion in the Polish city of Jaslo.
Jaslo's mayor, Maria Kurovska, has reacted to the discovery with vehement demands that the tree be cut down and burnt publicly. She told SPIEGEL ONLINE, "If I have the choice between improving the traffic situation in our town and hosting a memorial to a mass murderer, then I choose the former."

Ironically though, just as much as the tree represents Nazism, so too does it symbolize Polish resistance. When Hitler ordered the destruction of Jaslo in 1944, the towering oak tree was one of the few things to survive the devastation.

Speaking to Polish newspaper Nowiny24, city councillor Krzysztof Czelusnik defended the tree, saying, "Hitler was the guilty one, why should the oak suffer for that?" And he is not alone in his opposition to Kurovska's plans.

The campaign to save the oak is led by 80-year-old Kazimierz Polak, who witnessed it being planted firsthand. He is organising a petition to challenge plans to fell the tree, which he watched being brought into the city in a box wrapped in the swastika flag in 1942. The oak, originally from Hitler's birthplace of Braunau am Inn in Austria, was given to the city on the occasion of the Führer's birthday and was part of attempts to 'Germanize' the town.

Above and beyond its historical significance, Polak argues that the tree should be allowed to stand as an example of natural beauty in the city. Appealing to local authorities he said, "It is growing healthy and tall. Let it grow."

Kurovska remains unconvinced and is concerned that Jaslo could gain publicity for the wrong reasons, arguing: "If we keep it, we will walk in the city center remembering this is Hitler's tree." She also claims to have received e-mails from local residents who are both for and against the tree's survival.

The town will decide the fate of Jaslo's oak over the coming weeks. One thing is for certain though: the tree that survived World War II will not go down without a fight.
Source.
Fish and Chips

Postby shooraijin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:56 pm

I think historical relevance trumps all, however. Expunging anything in existence just because a Nazi was responsible for planting or building it seems a rather scorched earth policy, and leaving some relics reminds us exactly how horrible it was/might have been.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:21 pm

'Nother funny story. Trees were a common theme for Hitler's birthdays. One year another tiny town planted some in a grove in the pattern of the swastika. It was only noticed years later when satelite imaging became available. The trees were removed almost immediately as I hear it. I'm told that as a culture they're very quick to stamp out that particular aspect of their history. Given everything that happened, I'm not exactly sure I blame them.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Dante » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:14 pm

You. You stole the words right out of my mouth. If you didn't post that phrase in the title... I WAS. LOL
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Nate » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:21 pm

You know who would have supported publicly burning things?

HITLER.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Debitt » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Nate (post: 1345498) wrote:You know who would have supported publicly burning things?

HITLER.

Well whaddya know

Shooby stole what I wanted to post originally. /shakes fist

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby shooraijin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:21 am

Blame Hitler. It's his fault.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:49 am

Y'know, I think this is the first time I ever saw a thread Godwin itself in its own subject line....
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby goldenspines » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 am

shooraijin (post: 1345544) wrote:Blame Hitler. It's his fault.

I agree, leave the poor defenseless tree out of it. D:

In all seriousness, unless the tree is blocking construction of something that will improve the city, they could just leave it there for it's historical significance. I mean, like Shooby said, it could serve as a reminder of Hitler's "reign" and how terrible he was. But the tree could also symbolize growth in the country after the fall of his dictatorship. Or something? I'm just rambling now. XD

Also, Hitler painted, but that didn't stop many artists. ;)
goldenspines

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:43 am

The germans are... well, Contrite seems a weak word. There is a massive sense of social shame over the events of WW2 and how they played out in both the self indulgence of the age and the downfall of their culture. There is a lot to be said about the blindess of their nationalism.

This sense of shame has lead to an attitude that they must show the world they will not return to this by trying to wipe every sign of the age from their country. It IS a scorched earth policy. It comes out of the feeling that it is the way to retain acceptance from the world.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:50 am

EricTheFred (post: 1345550) wrote:Y'know, I think this is the first time I ever saw a thread Godwin itself in its own subject line....
We like to start things off on the right foot here on CAA.

Regardless, this is probably the most harmless example of Reductio ad Hitlerum I've ever seen, so I found it actually kind of hilarious, albeit disheartening.
Fish and Chips

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:49 pm

You know who never compared someone to Hitler?

JESUS.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:58 pm

A tree's a tree o____o It gives off oxygen, so let it be ;____;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:52 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1345564) wrote:You know who never compared someone to Hitler?

JESUS.

I...

You're right.

I have no comeback to that.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby The Banner » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:32 pm

So much for the "author fallacy" in the other Miyakazi topic.

Hitler is Hitler, the tree is the tree. I say that instead of seeing the tree as a memorial to Hitler, I see it as a reminder to know the mistakes that have been made for World War II so we can think once more to say, "We will not let this happen again." Dedicate the tree to the wisdom that comes from suffering.
The Banner

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Not cool. It's a tree. It makes oxygen and fights global warming. Not to mention oaks can be hardy trees. It could symbolize survival as well, it lived through the destruction, so did people. The tree's a fighter.
Ante Bellum

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 pm

The Banner (post: 1345605) wrote:So much for the "author fallacy" in the other Miyakazi topic.

Hitler is Hitler, the tree is the tree. I say that instead of seeing the tree as a memorial to Hitler, I see it as a reminder to know the mistakes that have been made for World War II so we can think once more to say, "We will not let this happen again." Dedicate the tree to the wisdom that comes from suffering.

What Not To Do, Whoohoo \o.o/

They shouldn't cut it down just because Hitler planted it XDDD That's kinda.. silly ^^;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Hitler also loved to paint, so that means painting is evil and supports Nazism.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:27 pm

Hitler was a tree hippie?

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Technomancer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:05 am

Adolf Hitler was a teetotaler.
Winston Churchill loved a glass of good brandy.

I think you know what you need to do (you don't want to be like Hitler do you?)
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:30 am

Technomancer (post: 1345681) wrote:Adolf Hitler was a teetotaler.

I'll drink to that!
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:28 am

Etoh*the*Greato wrote:I...

You're right.

I have no comeback to that.

Do you know who would have a comeback to that?

Yes, I think you know.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:31 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1345705) wrote:Do you know who would have a comeback to that?

Yes, I think you know.

*Raises hand and waves it around furiously* ^__^/)))))))

Ummm, Hitler ^___^?
Tsukuyomi

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Technomancer wrote:Adolf Hitler was a teetotaler.

Hitler ate food. He also wore clothes. And he lived in houses.

So we need to all be dirt-eating cave-dwelling nudists.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Kkun » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Nate (post: 1345764) wrote:Hitler ate food. He also wore clothes. And he lived in houses.

So we need to all be dirt-eating cave-dwelling nudists.

If that makes me a dirt-eating, cave-dwelling nudist with good brandy, then by Jove, I'll take it.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Technomancer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:23 pm

Kkun (post: 1345780) wrote:If that makes me a dirt-eating, cave-dwelling nudist with good brandy, then by Jove, I'll take it.

We'll need something to take the edge off it all]Barclay's[/i] now would we?
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Hitler:
Shaved significant portions of his face (so you shouldn't shave!)
Had facial hair (so you should never have facial hair!)

To make sure people really understand the scope of the problem, I've prepared a sample list of pernicious thing woven into our daily lives that are in fact acts often performed by Adolf Hitler!
For example, Adolf Hitler:
Used Latin letters when he wrote
Used Hindu-Arabic Numerals when he calculated
Used an Indo-European language when he communicated
Used a bipedal ambulatory method
Breathed Oxygen
Perceived distant objects by detecting electromagnetic waves in the red to violet band, using organs set in his skull in a stereoscopic arrangement
Catabolized organic chemicals for energy.
And the list goes on.

You have been warned.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:03 pm

Hitler also pooped.

.. yeah.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:42 pm

8D
I'll elect to be like Hitler, minus the dictator-with-a-funny-mustache part.
Ante Bellum

Postby Arya Raiin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:44 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1345664) wrote:Hitler was a tree hippie?

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]

Hitler was many things, lol! Anyway... I can imagine that Hitler wasn't the only person who the world seems to 'hate' that planted a tree. I can imagine Confucius and Buddha planted a tree... so should we Christians go and chop the tree down? Also, I bet if Hitler planted a tree, he planted more that one.
Arya Raiin

Next

Return to General