Xenophobia in Japan?

Talk about anything in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:45 pm

That's disheartening.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Song_of_Storms » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:00 pm

[SIZE="1"]Personally, I just lost all desires to visit Japan. I can see someone not liking to deal with tourist, but you typically just suffer in silence. I have no problem trying to help tourist in the US. They're just here to have fun, right? So why should it be any different with Japan?
Not being allowed somewhere because of your ethnic, (or lack thereof) is disgusting. If the Japanese government refuses to do anything about it, then fine. Regardless of cultural customs, it's just plain arrogant.
What would other countries think of us, if we posted signs that said "[SIZE="1"]English Speaking People Only[/SIZE]"? [/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:10 pm

On the contrary, this kind of makes me want to go to Japan even more. Maybe if more of us gaijin go over there and show them that we aren't all troublemakers, and fight this sort of thing gracefully when we encounter it, they'll start to change their minds.

Also, this is but a handful of incidences in a country chock full of businesses, so the chances of actually running into this are probably not as good as you think. But then again, I haven't been there, so I don't know for sure.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby pikmintaro » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Well I'm too interested in going to other Countries after reading this topic but I am still slightly interested in going to Japan.
Although I don't think Japan should be the only one accused of Xenophobia we even have it here in the USA sometimes.
I have been to Mexico though and I went to a very impoverished part for a Church missions trip where we did a vacation bible school thing, at first the children seemed to be pretty frightened of me but after awhile they started climbing all over me and stuff so it was pretty fun and I don't remember anything bad happening when I went to the city.

But yeah if I go to Japan (Or pretty much anywhere) I have a pretty good idea of what to expect.
But I had really never heard about Japan doing anything like this before I saw this topic.

Honestly though when I first read the topic title I thought of this.

If God is your "co-pilot" then you need to switch seats.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pikmintaro

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:50 pm

Well speaking Spanish in America will cause some people to act in a racist manner towards you.

Japanese culture tends to be more restrictive than ours. We focus on individualism while the Japanese put a far greater emphasis on adhering to the culture.
Yamamaya

Postby pikmintaro » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Well if I went to Japan I would try to adhere to the culture lol :grin:
If God is your "co-pilot" then you need to switch seats.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pikmintaro

Postby The Banner » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:23 pm

Experience in Korea tells me I remember some people making jokes about black people, staring long and hard at a white person, and basically showing pure hatred for Japanese people. Those were pretty much the worst of racism/xenophobia that I saw from my short and mostly exclusive time in Korea.

I would actually think Japan is slightly more subtle, as I imagine lots of people travelling there. The link about the signs tell me otherwise.

It seems as if some people have been to both countries of Japan and South Korea, so would anyone tell me if Japan, Korea, or neither country is worse?
The Banner

Postby Nate » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:16 pm

The Banner wrote:Experience in Korea tells me I remember some people making jokes about black people,

Sounds like an average day in the deep South.
and basically showing pure hatred for Japanese people.

You do realize that there is a reason WHY Korea hates Japan so much, yes? (Protip: Study World War II.)

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:19 pm

Japan isn't really popular with most of the Asian continent.
Fish and Chips

Postby minakichan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:37 pm

Nor is most of the Asian continent really popular with Japan.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Maokun » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 pm

China is, isn't it? And China is well... most ot the asian continent in a manner of speech :D
Maokun

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:34 am

Maokun (post: 1344288) wrote:China is, isn't it? And China is well... most ot the asian continent in a manner of speech :D
Most of the Asian continent is not particularly fond of itself. They all have long memories and even longer lists of reasons to thoroughly dislike one another. Oh, they suffer each others commercial products, but that's about the length and breadth of it.

Except Mongolia, who really hasn't bothered anyone for the last several hundred years.
Fish and Chips

Postby The Banner » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:18 am

This may have strayed slightly off-topic for all I know, but yes, I do know that Koreans do give reasons for their hatred. I share Korean heritage myself, I should know. My father constantly told me of the comfort women and Japanese rule of Korea, and ranted about how they haven't formally apologized for it yet.

Nonetheless, it's interesting seeing how since I've only been to Canada, the UK, and South Korea, that South Korea ranked for me as having an unfriendlier prescence for the general population. Since South Korea was more seperated from other countries in earlier times, it was simply a wonder.

Perhaps I might as well go to Japan one day and see what this xenophobia is like. I doubt it would be too bad.
The Banner

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 am

The Banner (post: 1344236) wrote:Experience in Korea tells me I remember some people making jokes about black people, staring long and hard at a white person, and basically showing pure hatred for Japanese people. Those were pretty much the worst of racism/xenophobia that I saw from my short and mostly exclusive time in Korea.

The managers of my complex were EFL teachers in Korea... She told me that when she'd go to clothing stores, they'd kick her out because "We don't have clothes for fat lady" (she's actually not in the least bit fat, but ALL white women are "fat lady" in those stores)

They told me it's very difficult to find clothes there. It's why I prepared pretty well already, in anticipation of that (if I get another job offer after my proper background check comes in... The time it will take to get it lost me my most recent job offer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:05 pm

I don't know about Korea, but I've heard that in Japan, even Japanese people will call each other "fat" when they're not. >_>
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Those type of things aren't considered insulting in America. My aunt has had several of those experiences with Korean women.

One woman says, "Is your jewelry real?"
The other Korean women, "That's rude to say in America. You don't say that here. You should know that by now!" Asian people just like to tease each other like that.
Yamamaya

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:15 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:I don't know about Korea, but I've heard that in Japan, even Japanese people will call each other "fat" when they're not. >_>

That doesn't sound too different from America. I can't count the number of girls that will say "OH I'M SO FAT" when they're nowhere near it.

Nate

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Yes but we can't call OTHER PEOPLE fat without getting a fist in the face or making people cry. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 am

Nate (post: 1344404) wrote:That doesn't sound too different from America. I can't count the number of girls that will say "OH I'M SO FAT" when they're nowhere near it.

Anorexia is diminishing (no pun intended) in the US, while I believe it's as strong as ever in Japan for this same sort of reasoning. Sticks are normal in Japan, and... I'd get into more detail about something else that comes with fat, but it may not be CAA inappropriate... Let's just say there are some competing factions about that issue in Japan as much as there are in the US, if not more. All while Europe (from my limited view) seems to have taken the "Skinny only" view... with the possible exception of Germany.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:06 am

Yes, well, I'm unsure what's going on in Europe myself. I keep hearing all these tales about the scandinavians eating horrendously fatty foods and retaining perfect figures somehow.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:40 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1344536) wrote:Yes, well, I'm unsure what's going on in Europe myself. I keep hearing all these tales about the scandinavians eating horrendously fatty foods and retaining perfect figures somehow.

My Danish friend told me there are "no fat people in Denmark"

I'd love to have such a high metabolism... Ah, to be able to eat a whole pizza every night...

I'm not sure if the Korean "fat lady" thing was just due to a different perception of what is "fat" and what isn't, but it struck me more as not wanting to deal with non-koreans... I really don't know, though.
Bobtheduck

Postby Nate » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:31 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:All while Europe (from my limited view) seems to have taken the "Skinny only" view... with the possible exception of Germany.

I thought Italy was still pretty full of "plump" people. Not exactly grossly overweight, just a bit roundish.

Nate

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:31 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1344634) wrote:My Danish friend told me there are "no fat people in Denmark"

I'd love to have such a high metabolism... Ah, to be able to eat a whole pizza every night...

I'm not sure if the Korean "fat lady" thing was just due to a different perception of what is "fat" and what isn't, but it struck me more as not wanting to deal with non-koreans... I really don't know, though.

I have high metabolism too. It must be the Danish blood in me.(my grandfather was from Denmark.)
Yamamaya

Postby Chrysolite » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:57 pm

I've never been to Japan, but my sister has twice (she's there right now, as a matter of fact ^-^), and she seems to be getting along great with the Japanese people. She admitted that she felt a little out-of-place at times, but I think that's to be expected and I don't think it has anything to do with xenophobia. She says she even feels like her being an American gives her a point of interest and many Japanese people have connected with her. She was even asked out by a Japanese guy. :grin: Of course, I think this is because she loves Japan and is very respectful of their culture and not at all shy about her fondness for the Japanese people. I also think God is watching out for her, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. ;)
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby shooraijin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:02 pm

Nate (post: 1344644) wrote:I thought Italy was still pretty full of "plump" people. Not exactly grossly overweight, just a bit roundish.

Not when I was there. Granted we were mostly in the south, so maybe it's different up towards Milan and the Alps, but I don't remember thinking the people were particularly chunky.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:46 am

I think that depends how far back in history you want to go. Couple hundred years? yeah, pretty aggressive. Further back? Well... The mongols and Chinese were pretty violent. Historically speaking, you can lay the aggressor tag on pretty much anyone dipping back far enough.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:02 pm

haneda (post: 1345541) wrote:Talk about Xenophobia.

You know, living in Japan, what's the two most shunned things?

1. Being a Korean or Chinese.
2. Being a full-time Christian.

Aha. I qualify for both, being a Chinese-Japanese-Korean-American in Japan, working for a church! As a youth counsel!

If you thought it didn't exist... well, that is probably if you moved there, or there on a holiday. I was born there and grew there. Being a part-gaijin, part-sankokujin is really an unpleasant experience. Why?

My skin color is noticeably different from the Japanese, and I have the Chinese eyes (slitty eyes!) Worse still, I speak English better than Japanese. So, it's really difficult for me. If I were to list down everything, it'd be way over limit.

But here's something that really irks me: Without fail, when police see me, they request for my passport. And worse, people in Japan, as a rule, tend to shun Chinese-looking people. As if I can't understand Japanese, man.

Worse still, if we invoke history, Japan has been the aggressor of the region! So really...

Like Etoh brought up, Japan hasn't always been the aggressor in the region.

Anyway, as for the Christian thing that's probably due to the fact that Christians are in the minority in Japan that is misunderstood. Muslims in America don't get treated that well either since they're a minority that has come under suspicion thanks to the terrorist attack on 9/11.

I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles man. Being a gajin is very rough in a very conservative nationalistic society.
Yamamaya

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Japan is, however, the most recent aggressor of the region (Cold War China notwithstanding). I wouldn't find it particularly useful to just dismiss things; the memory of Imperial Japan is still strong on the Asian continent, and it isn't helpful that the War in the Pacific is essentially just a written blank in Japanese history textbooks (NOTE: this has been improving).

I repeat myself, Asia is a boiling pot.
Fish and Chips

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Nono, of course. I do agree with you there. 80 years ago, they were building to be an extremely violent aggressor in the region. They kind of had it beaten out of them, but that hasn't stopped the sort of smarmy actions like you mentioned with the text books.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Nate » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Yamamaya wrote:Anyway, as for the Christian thing that's probably due to the fact that Christians are in the minority in Japan that is misunderstood.

Not really. The reason Christianity is shunned in Japan is for a different reason.

After the Tokugawa shogunate got overthrown, the Meiji government needed a way to gain the loyalty of the people and a smoother way to effect modernization. They figured the best way to do this was to get the people to rally together by focusing on their cultural identity. Thus, the Meiji government made Shinto the official state religion of Japan, the government going so far as to outlaw the mixing of Buddhist practices in Shinto.

So, to preserve Japan's national heritage, other forms of religion were outlawed as well, obviously this would include Christianity, which was given a bad reputation by Nobunaga Oda allowing the spread of Christianity in the country while he was in power, and Oda isn't really a very popular figure in Japan (even less so at the time).

After World War II Japan set up a separation of church and state, much like America has, and so Japan no longer has a state religion. However since it was so ingrained into the culture for so long, and since Japan DOES have a very strong sense of nationalism (which has been mentioned in this thread), Christianity is still seen as non-Japanese and foreign, which is why they're so reluctant to adopt it.

It has almost nothing to do with being misunderstood and pretty much everything to do with Japan's sense of self-identity.

Nate

Previous Next

Return to General