2nd Chance Anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

2nd Chance Anime

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Hey everyone!

I was in the library today when I saw that the complete collection of "Sister Princess" was available for checkout. I recalled my previous experience with this particular anime was quite negative as I found myself wondering if all the characters were lobotomized. Why did I pick it up? Because I believe in giving both people and anine a 2nd chance. Who knows--I might even like it the 2nd time around.

Have you guys ever done this with anime--went back and watched it again just to see if it would be better the 2nd time around?
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:29 pm

No -- if an anime hasn't captured my imagination by the 5th or 6th episode, I'm done with it. There's too much anime (and too many other things) to give a known bad one a second chance before I get to see all the others...
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:45 pm

I've been told I should do this with Darker Than Black, but eh, I'm not feeling it.
Fish and Chips

Postby goldenspines » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:56 pm

I did this with Samurai Champloo, and I'm quite glad I did give it a second chance.
When I watched the first few episodes, I was turned away from it because of some of the negative content in it.
About 5 months later, I decided to pick it up again and watch the whole series through. Now, it's one of my favorite anime.

Obviously though, some anime will never be good the second or even third time around. XD;
goldenspines

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:15 pm

I did that with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I'm super glad I did. XD I love that series now. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Nah, if an anime doesn't keep me interested by the 3rd or 4th ep, then I probably won't watch it. I haven't rly given any anime a 2nd chance and I doubt I will.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby RobinSena » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:58 pm

I've tried, with shows like Angelic Layer and Gunslinger Girl II. I didn't really work for me. Especially with GG2, because it's such a let down compared to the original.. =/
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby blkmage » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:31 pm

This has happened a few times (Kannagi, Sora no Manimani, Saki). Generally, I try to cast a wide net and watch at least one episode of most shows in each season and there are usually one or two that I drop and eventually come back to because of good things I hear about halfway into the season.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:37 pm

Sadly, I can't afford it. Time is limited and there are literally hundreds of other shows to see.

RobinSena (post: 1344101) wrote:I've tried, with shows like Angelic Layer and Gunslinger Girl II. I didn't really work for me. Especially with GG2, because it's such a let down compared to the original.. =/

Aw man, I'm sad to hear that, I was looking forward to it, but I was afreaid it wouldn't be as good as the first. :/
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Maokun (post: 1344117) wrote:Sadly, I can't afford it. Time is limited and there are literally hundreds of other shows to see.

As a general rule, this works. I'd never go back to a show on my own. BUT, I'll definitely make exceptions in cases where people whose opinions I trust and respect tell me to give something another shot and even more so if their tastes are similar to mine.

Also keep in mind that your tastes change over time. There was a time in my life when Clannad was not one of my favourite shows ever and, instead, was the symbol of an entire genre to avoid.
blkmage

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:09 pm

I did that with Kenshin and naruto
tried it out did like it and then came back to it
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm

That's how I got into Digimon, which finally turned me into a full-blooded otaku. The first episode I was was "Digibaby Boom," which focused entirely on token little kid T.K., so I though the whole SHOW was as childish as that. Plus, I was a die hard Pokemon fan at the time and actively disliked any of the "rip off" shows. Thankfully, I eventually started getting tired of Pokemon and decided to give Digimon another chance. The rest, as they say, is history.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:29 am

The first time I watched Gankutsuo I thought, "I can tell this show is well-executed, but so far that hasn't stopped it from boring my eyes out of their sockets."

A few years later I tried watching it again, and found it much more engaging. I think it took the second time because I watched it alone with good headphones, which allowed the atmospherics to do their evil spooky magic.

I would highly recommend good 'phones, by the way. These days even an all-hippo rendition of Happy Days produced in your kid brother's basement will have semi-decent sound engineering.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Elycien » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:41 am

The main one that comes to mind was Lucky Star. We watched the first few episodes of it in our anime club junior year, and my reaction was "ehh, mildly amusing". I love the show now, though. XD

Usually though, I don't return to something when the initial reaction was "meh". Mostly I can think of series that I saw a few episodes of once, never got around to watching more of, and came back to later - and a lot of these ended up being among my favorites: Bleach, Haruhi Suzumiya, Eureka 7.

ImageImageImageImageImage
My dragons ^^ Please click!
Elycien

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Yep. Blue Submarine NO. 6. I thought it was boring at first. Watched it again, and I'm in love =D
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby RobinSena » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:04 pm

Maokun (post: 1344117) wrote:Aw man, I'm sad to hear that, I was looking forward to it, but I was afreaid it wouldn't be as good as the first. :/

Yeah, for starters, GG2's budget is much lower, which in turn makes it look rather meh, especially when compared to the beauty of the orginal. It also focuses a lot more on action and the plot line, instead of the girls. You don't really connect to the characters, imho.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:24 pm

I didn't think War in the Pocket was THAT good the first time. The second time, I REALLY enjoyed it.

Also, I almost gave up on Overman King Gainer but I stuck it out and it became one of my favorites. Does that count? XD;
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby theanimeguy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:55 pm

Can't say that I have, I usually only buy a title after looking at a lot of reviews.
theanimeguy

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:25 pm

O yeah, I actually remember giving one anime a second chance.

ToraDora! I dropped it around 10-12 eps 'cause romance isn't my thing and it just felt like the whole set up was a dating game. Gave it another chance way later after hearing how awesome it was. I kind of enjoyed it, especially ep 13. Watched to 20 and dropped it. I just rly did not like watching my fave character break down, the main character's personality flip liek lolwut, and the high predictability. So "screw it" I said.

Yeah, second chances with anime don't work for me.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby MasterDias » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:39 pm

It depends on the anime, and whether or not I hear good things about later episodes.

This is basically what happened to me with Baccano!
I had difficulty keeping interest in it back when it originally aired, but I found it much more enjoyable (and more coherent) the second time around when I watched it all at once instead of attempting to follow it weekly.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Makachop^^128 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:12 pm

I actually about 2 months ago tried Serial experiments lain, and I stopped 2 eps into it lol.
But then just about a couple of weeks ago I picked it up again and loved it!
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby That Dude » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:06 am

I don't do it often but I do it. Sometimes I'll pick it up and it looks ok but at the time isn't interesting enough to watch...But then I'll watch it again in a few months when either I'm a lot more bored or my tastes have changed some.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:24 pm

I did it with Big O. I had gotten in right in the middle of the show when it aired on Toonami. Then it got switched to Adult Swim and I got curious. When I started it from the beginning, I started kicking myself because I thought "Why did I stop watching this? It's great." Now the first half is in my anime collection.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews