I'll have the Dino McNuggets to go please...

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Esoteric » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:31 am

I own chickens too and I've never seen a chicken I'd call smarter than a dog. Yours must be from another planet.
Esoteric

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Well, how tame are yours? Mine are almost too tame, they'll jump up in my lap, sit down, and let me pet them though only if I allow them. They'll run up to me just because they wanna be petted and sometimes they'll play-attack if I poke their chest and mess with 'em. They're simpler animals than dogs but aren't dependent on us to survive. Dogs? Most couldn't survive on their own.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Esoteric » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:55 pm

Mine are almost too tame, they'll jump up in my lap, sit down, and let me pet them though only if I allow them. They'll run up to me just because they wanna be petted and sometimes they'll play-attack if I poke their chest and mess with 'em.
Yes, but those are all things a dog can do too. When your chickens can sit/stay/fetch/or run an obstacle course, get back to me.
They're simpler animals than dogs but aren't dependent on us to survive. Dogs? Most couldn't survive on their own.

Yes and No. It's easier for a chicken to survive because they're omnivores. They can subsist on grass and bugs. As carnivores, dogs typically require meat which is a scarcer commodity. To survive, they revert to their wolf-ancestor ways, dangerously so:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/08/0821_030821_straydogs.html

[/finished derailing thread]

Dino McNuggets? I'll pass, thanks.
Esoteric

Postby Technomancer » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:00 pm

Esoteric (post: 1343919) wrote:This is a slight digression, but chickens essentially are plump little velociraptors. It's a good thing they are only a foot tall and have the IQ of tree stump, otherwise chicken attacks could be a serious problem.

True. They can be very unpleasent creatures. On the other hand, being some of the most expensive chickens on the planet, they would be well contained. On the whole, I think we should go for it.

To quote the illustrious Dr. Malcom, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think whether or not they should! "

You know, that speech always bugged me. Not the least, because, well they did stop and think about it, and ultimately decided it was a capital idea. Of course, his nonsense about the karate master is what really ground my gears.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:20 pm

I, personally, want Bubastis more than a chicken-dino. Just me, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby shooraijin » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:17 pm

Esoteric (post: 1343919) wrote:This is a slight digression, but chickens essentially are plump little velociraptors.

:lol: Excellent.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby S.M.O.G. » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:30 pm

I've been doing this sort of thing for about ten years now.

S.M.O.G.

Postby Arya Raiin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Originally posted by Esoteric (post: 1343919):
This is a slight digression, but chickens essentially are plump little velociraptors. It's a good thing they are only a foot tall and have the IQ of tree stump, otherwise chicken attacks could be a serious problem.

:thumb:Awesome. LOL :thumb:

However, you might be right! my chickens eat mice (and raw bacon *shudder*)... Also they'll eat egg shells so, I have carnivorous/cannibal chickens, isn't that wonderful? (XP) I guess I can make the threat "I'll set my chickens on you!" now. :lol:
Arya Raiin

Previous

Return to General