NFL Football: 2009

Talk about anything in here.

NFL Football: 2009

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Tonight's preseason game between the pats and the redskins got me wondering what the CAA football fans think about this year's season. So who are the football fans? Who do you think will play in Superbowl 44? What teams do you want to win? Etc? Etc? :D

I'm hoping the Brady continues to feel better and gets back to his pre-injury self. Other than that, I don't really have a specific team I hope will take it all. I just like to watch. :jump:

Oh, and please keep this one on topic. This thread is about American Football and is geared toward people that actually like to watch the sport. Please don't derail the thread with "Real football is what you call soccer" or "I don't think football is good for society," etc. Thanks!
Mithrandir

Postby Garland » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 pm

Go Dolphins!
meow!

It should be a great season for football.
I, Garland, will knock you all down!-Garland (FF1)

Gruve Nitro's website
Gruve Nitro is a band whose genre is considered (by me) "Christian Funk." It is based off the old Earth Wind and Fire style, and some of the original players play on the album as well as Ray Parker Jr. (from the Ghostbusters theme)

Fortune Cookie:Behind an able man, there are always.
Garland

Location: Somewhere between a machine's logic and a person's consciousness

Postby Peanut » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:52 pm

As usual I will be cheering for my teams (Seattle and Pittsburgh and Baltimore sort of...). However what I will most be looking forward to is watching the Dolphins unveil their Wild "Pat" formation since Pat White was and still is my favorite football player.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm a Dallas fan but I have a feeling that this year is going to be remarkably similar to last year. They won't be the worst team, but they probably won't make it to the playoffs...and if they do, they'll probably be one and done.

That said, preseason is a bit too early to judge how teams will do, but in spite of that, the Steelers still look as good as ever, the Redskins look like they're not doing so hot, and Detroit has actually won two preseason games I believe. It almost makes me wonder if Detroit's backup is better than their first string...

The only thing I have left to say is I hope Minnesota chokes. I have nothing against the Vikings actually, they're not bad. I just hate Brett Favre. A lot. So I want to see them do terrible, and hopefully not even make the playoffs.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Peanut » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Nate (post: 1342565) wrote:The only thing I have left to say is I hope Minnesota chokes. I have nothing against the Vikings actually, they're not bad. I just hate Brett Favre. A lot. So I want to see them do terrible, and hopefully not even make the playoffs.

My brother in law would be quite upset with you for saying this (he's a big Vikings fan).

With that being said...I get the feeling the Vikings won't win the Super Bowl these next two years like many of their fans hope for. I just get the feeling that the Vikings are going to ask Farve to do more then he's capable of doing at this stage in his career...plus its sounding like the locker room might be...well dividing...and that's never a good thing.

Peanut

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:31 pm

The games I am watching tonight are pretty decent. San Diego seems to be doing well, but the Falcons aren't giving up. The SF/Dallas game is going nicely. Tied up at this point.

After last night's scare, I'm hoping Brady's shoulder issue isn't too bad. Link:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/?p=3436&srvc=sports&position=recent
Mithrandir

Postby Peanut » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Mithrandir (post: 1342582) wrote:After last night's scare, I'm hoping Brady's shoulder issue isn't too bad. Link:
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/?p=3436&srvc=sports&position=recent

I've heard a report that its not that serious...of course that report may have been wrong but we'll just have to wait and see.

Peanut

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Yeah. The patriot staff played it down. They said they're not going to play him in the next exhibition game, though. Could be they just want to see how their 2nd and 3rd do, but it could also be something more serious.
Mithrandir

Postby Peanut » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:22 pm

It's the fourth exhibition game so I wouldn't worry about it. Starters usually play like 1 series if at all in those games to avoid injury anyway.

Peanut

Postby Nate » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Peanut wrote:I just get the feeling that the Vikings are going to ask Farve to do more then he's capable of doing at this stage in his career...

Yeah, they'll probably say "Don't throw so many interceptions," and that's more than Favre is capable of.

No, seriously, it'll be like the Jets again. He'll do pretty good, because honestly, he's not a terrible quarterback. He's just past his prime. So he'll start off the season good, then steadily get worse and worse.

Anyway I just absolutely despise the man so that makes me kind of happy to see him choke, actually.

As far as Brady goes, I wouldn't be worried they're not gonna play him in the exhibition game. Preseason is (or well, it's SUPPOSED to be) when the second and third-stringers play to see who's good enough to keep and who to let go. So it's not unusual to not let him play.

Nate

Postby Squeakmaster » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:45 pm

Nate (post: 1342741) wrote:Yeah, they'll probably say "Don't throw so many interceptions," and that's more than Favre is capable of.

YES.

I love the Colts (and Peyton Manning <3) but I dunno how they're gonna do this year...just have to wait and see.

Also, being a huge UGA fan, I LOVE Matthew Stafford...which means I guess I now like the Lions as well.
[color="Lime"]To ten million fireflies,
I'm wierd cause I hate good byes,
I got misty eyes as they said farewell...
Fireflies - Owl City
Everyone complains about how mainstream they are, but...they're still amazing.
[/color]
Squeakmaster

Postby Peanut » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:01 pm

After some thought, I've decided to go ahead and bring this up and this thread seems like a good place to do it.

In years past, we have set up (or at least attempted to set up) a CAA Fantasy Football league. It's usually only been about 4 people, but we've had fun and it's usually been pretty entertaining. So far, no such league has been created this year.

So I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in playing. If there are at least 3 other people interested, I can set up a league or renew the one we had last year and we can start playing right away. I just figured I would ask just in case anyone out there would like to enjoy some Fantasy Football along with their real football.

Peanut

Postby Ante Bellum » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:24 pm

Well, being from Minnesota and having relatives who are Vikings fans, all I can say is:
I don't care. But Minnesota vs. Wisconsin will be interesting to watch.
Ante Bellum

Postby Davidizer13 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm a Broncos fan. Based on their performance in the preseason games and, related to that, the fact that Kyle Orton is our quarterback, it's gonna be a long year. A very long year...
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Roy Mustang » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:00 pm

I'm more of a major high school and college football fans then NFL, but when I do watch any NFL games.

I pull for Colts first since being a Tennessee fan and I have to watch Peyton Manning play, then Green Bay, now that Favre is gone and Atlanta, now that Vick is gone as well.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Nate » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:11 pm

Ante Bellum wrote:But Minnesota vs. Wisconsin will be interesting to watch.

"Wisconsin?" You mean Green Bay? :p

Anyway, teasing aside, I don't know if "interesting" is going to quite be the word for it. Remember, Favre played for the Jets last year so it's not like this will be the first time he's gone up against his former team. It will, however, be the first time he's gone up against them as one of their rivals.

Which given the Vikings/Packers rivalry might make for a very emotionally charged game, from both the players on the field and the crowd in the stadium.
Squeak wrote:I guess I now like the Lions as well.

Well honestly the Lions have literally nowhere to go but up. Even if they only win one game this year they've still done better than last year. Matt Millen's absence probably helps, but a lot of fans are saying that Detroit's defense is still looking pretty shaky. Having a good quarterback is nice, but it means nothing if they can't stop the other team from scoring.

Nate

Postby Mithrandir » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:00 am

Nate (post: 1343116) wrote:... a lot of fans are saying that Detroit's defense is still looking pretty shaky...

I was going to make a joke wherein I juxtaposed this statement against the economy of Detroit, but I think those wounds may be a little to fresh for some people.

Instead, here's a totally true point to ponder:
More people are kill each year from falling coconuts than from shark attacks.

... and to stay on track... Uh... Yay, football!
Mithrandir

Return to General