I'll have the Dino McNuggets to go please...

Talk about anything in here.

I'll have the Dino McNuggets to go please...

Postby Technomancer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:23 am

Some interesting genetics work being done lately on chickens:

http://blogs.discoverychannel.co.uk/discovery-news/2009/08/could-chicken-embryos-produce-dinosaurs.html

This link's a little older, but is still interesting.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1446706.stm
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:20 am

... Wasn't this the plot of the movie Carnisaur?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Technomancer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 am

Was it any good? :lol:
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:08 pm

Actually, it was awful. The premise was the same, except you replace the phrase "canadian scientist" with "mad scientist" and "dinosaur like traits" with "11 foot tall Tyranosaurus animatronic."

It was pretty awful.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Peanut » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Even though this is a serious topic...I can't manage to shake the image of McDonalds actually selling McNuggets made from Dinosaur meat...well at least they wouldn't be any less healthy then what they already serve...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:46 pm

Well, according to things I read, rattlesnake tastes like chicken, and dinosaurs are also reptiles, so there might not be a difference in taste. Who knows? McDonalds has enough disposable income; maybe they're already cloning dinosaurs to use to feed the masses.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Dinosaurs would have to have been warmblooded, so calling them reptiles is a bit of a misnomer.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1341860) wrote:Dinosaurs would have to have been warmblooded, so calling them reptiles is a bit of a misnomer.

That debate remains unsettled. Pterosaurs would have to have been warm-blooded, due to the metabolism required for flying, but the others are still up in the air to whether they were endothermic or ectothermic.

Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:17 pm

I'm gonna side with endothermic, simply on the basis that supporting a weight that huge would require a fairly active system. A lot of calories to be burnt, and the time to take in that heat would far outweigh any available time to collect food to keep the system going. It's all topheavy (no pun intended). The system would fall apart.

(Yeah, Alan Grant! I got yer back!)
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby sharien chan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:45 pm

I absolutely love how they called a dinosaur hatchery "too large an enterprise". You know it won't stop someone from trying.
sharien chan

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:52 pm

HASN'T MICHAEL CRICHTON TAUGHT US ANYTHING?!

Uh, I mean...
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby sharien chan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1341902) wrote:HASN'T MICHAEL CRICHTON TAUGHT US ANYTHING?!

Uh, I mean...

This!
sharien chan

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Peanut (post: 1341853) wrote:Even though this is a serious topic...I can't manage to shake the image of McDonalds actually selling McNuggets made from Dinosaur meat...well at least they wouldn't be any less healthy then what they already serve...

*Chuckles* I'm still chuckling xDDD

Those chickens are huge /o.o\
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Technomancer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1341880) wrote:I'm gonna side with endothermic, simply on the basis that supporting a weight that huge would require a fairly active system. A lot of calories to be burnt, and the time to take in that heat would far outweigh any available time to collect food to keep the system going. It's all topheavy (no pun intended). The system would fall apart.

(Yeah, Alan Grant! I got yer back!)

I'm pretty much for the endothermic side of the debate as well. Aside from the fact that the avian lineage is warm-blooded as well, several species are known to have inhabited the polar regions as well. While nowhere as cold as they are today, these areas would certainly have been fairly temperate.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:46 am

Davidizer13 (post: 1341874) wrote:That debate remains unsettled. Pterosaurs would have to have been warm-blooded, due to the metabolism required for flying, but the others are still up in the air to whether they were endothermic or ectothermic.

Was that intentional?

In any case, back when I was still into dinosaurs, I was interested in possibly seeing them come back... Then I heard about possibly bringing mammoths back, and that interested me because it was more plausible...

Now this idea of just reshaping chickens into a dinosaur that never existed... not so exciting to me... I'm not really up on the idea of engineering animals in this way, because of where it leads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 pm

The thing about Mammoths is that they still existed on the North American Continent in regions like Florida even up to the rise of the Egyptian Civilization. Now comes the hard part with the cloning Scenario. Even if we were to potentially clone them, we'd have to invent a way to vaccinate them against the whole flipping world! They are creatures of another age. We'd have War of The Worlds all overagain. They'd be dying of diseases left and right because they'd suddenly be brought in to a world that just simply wasn't meant for them. They weren't raised here, they weren't acclimated here. They didn't develop in the biological environment we have now.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby F.M Disciple » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Intresting Point you have there.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1342178) wrote:The thing about Mammoths is that they still existed on the North American Continent in regions like Florida even up to the rise of the Egyptian Civilization. Now comes the hard part with the cloning Scenario. Even if we were to potentially clone them, we'd have to invent a way to vaccinate them against the whole flipping world! They are creatures of another age. We'd have War of The Worlds all overagain. They'd be dying of diseases left and right because they'd suddenly be brought in to a world that just simply wasn't meant for them. They weren't raised here, they weren't acclimated here. They didn't develop in the biological environment we have now.

That's why they'd have to be raised in clean environments for a generation or two... Slowly introduced to the type of things we have here, and eventually they'd be able to cope. Plus, I think people vastly underestimate the ability of life to adapt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby sdzero » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:24 pm

I don't know...cloning always seemed an unidentified typed of animal cruelty to me. They have to go through a lot mistrails before they get one clone right.
Under Construction

PSN ID - Sandmanzero
sdzero

Postby Technomancer » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1342178) wrote:The thing about Mammoths is that they still existed on the North American Continent in regions like Florida even up to the rise of the Egyptian Civilization. Now comes the hard part with the cloning Scenario. Even if we were to potentially clone them, we'd have to invent a way to vaccinate them against the whole flipping world! They are creatures of another age. We'd have War of The Worlds all overagain. They'd be dying of diseases left and right because they'd suddenly be brought in to a world that just simply wasn't meant for them. They weren't raised here, they weren't acclimated here. They didn't develop in the biological environment we have now.

On the other hand, some of the ideas put forward for resurrecting the mammoth involve making use of a modern elephant as a surrogate mother. This would allow some of the mother's immune system to boost that of the infant clone's. Granted, this would miss some of the specific adaptations that have become hard-coded into the modern animal's immune systems.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:44 pm

So if they succeeded in this, would ya eat it?

I know I would. Char broiled dinosaur covered in gravy. Side of curly fries. I bet they'd call it the Dinosaur Special.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:05 pm

sdzero (post: 1342251) wrote:I don't know...cloning always seemed an unidentified typed of animal cruelty to me. They have to go through a lot mistrails before they get one clone right.

Well, yes, PETA would certainly protest, but I'm under the impression they don't strictly like anything.
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Davidizer13 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:29 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1342166) wrote:Was that intentional?

Absolutely not. I just couldn't think of a better cliche to use.

Edit: Woot, 100th post.

Davidizer13

Postby Squeakmaster » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1341902) wrote:HASN'T MICHAEL CRICHTON TAUGHT US ANYTHING?!

Uh, I mean...

This post makes me smile, if only because I LOVE Crichton.

Anyway, it should be interesting to see how this unfolds.
[color="Lime"]To ten million fireflies,
I'm wierd cause I hate good byes,
I got misty eyes as they said farewell...
Fireflies - Owl City
Everyone complains about how mainstream they are, but...they're still amazing.
[/color]
Squeakmaster

Postby Bobtheduck » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:31 pm

Nate (post: 1342568) wrote:So if they succeeded in this, would ya eat it?

I know I would. Char broiled dinosaur covered in gravy. Side of curly fries. I bet they'd call it the Dinosaur Special.

I'd totally eat dinosaur nuggets... After about 5 years of it being available to make sure no weird problems arise from it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:31 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1342757) wrote:I'd totally eat dinosaur nuggets... After about 5 years of it being available to make sure no weird problems arise from it.

Pffft. No problems at all. None. Those scales growing on your back? Clearly, that's just Exema. Claws? Maybe you just needed to trim your nails. Well, what about the fact that your now a ten story fire breathing nuclear monstrosity from the deep ocean?

... Well, that's just awesome!
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:09 am

Etoh*the*Greato (post: 1343249) wrote:Well, what about the fact that your now a ten story fire breathing nuclear monstrosity from the deep ocean?

... Well, that's just awesome!

... Yeeeaaah, think I'll be eating me some dino nuggets.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:10 am

Go go godzilla! Whooo!
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Esoteric » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:27 am

This is a slight digression, but chickens essentially are plump little velociraptors. It's a good thing they are only a foot tall and have the IQ of tree stump, otherwise chicken attacks could be a serious problem.

To quote the illustrious Dr. Malcom, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think whether or not they should! "
Do not make chickens bigger or smarter, people. :P
Esoteric

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:36 am

Esoteric (post: 1343919) wrote:It's a good thing they are only a foot tall and have the IQ of tree stump, otherwise chicken attacks could be a serious problem.

I own chickens and I find that they're actually quite intelligent. Smarter than dogs even.
CrimsonRyu17

Next

Return to General