Six most terrifying foods in the world

Talk about anything in here.

Postby Maledicte » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:37 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1340060) wrote:Filipinos eat some terrifying things.

Like cheese ice cream on hamburger buns! And hot dogs in spaghetti sauce!
Maledicte

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Touche.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 pm

Really, I have seen worst things on "Bizarre Foods" with Andrew Zimmern, then what was listed on this site.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Maledicte » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:19 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1340212) wrote:Touche.

Well, we do. :P At least, I've only eaten the hot dog spaghetti, though. (It's just wrong.)
Maledicte

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Ok, the cheese that has maggots that try to bore through your intestines... that was definitely disgusting...

I knew about Balut, and I'm shocked they put that #1... Because the one that can cause bleeding seems a lot worse. As does the one cooked in lye... I mean, really...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:44 pm

Why would any people choose to turn cod into lutefisk? Who thought "Hey, this'll taste good if I do this!" Why not cook it over a fire? Something?

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000398.php

:D Canned silk worms from Korea~~~ Haven't eaten it, but...yeah.

Mild language in the blog post. But yep. CANNED SILK WORMS.

Oh man, I loved The Sneeze. Those posts made me laugh till it hurt XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Nate » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:06 am

There's a website called "Bad Candy" that reviewed really horrible "candy" back in the day, I'd say most of it is on par with all this stuff.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 am

Speaking as a Norwegian-American, I've been sitting here almost literally ROFL. Say what you want to, guys. Lutefisk is actually quite delicious. Well, to Norskies anyway. We have the stuff at special occasions. Except in my father's house. My stepmother is Danish.

(Incidentally, these guys should have researched deeper. Norwegians have some much nastier sounding things than Lutefisk!)

As for the answer to the question; "Why would anybody want to..." asked above, the answer is the same as for many strange things people do to food ("Why would anybody take so much effort to purposefully make milk spoil?" - bettter known as Cheese,) Food Preservation. It was a way to keep the rats and bacteria out of the fish they were saving for later. They had a clever thing to do with their barley, too. They made beer. Then they got drunk and overran Medieval Europe... but I digress.

I'm actually very tickled to find my family can claim two out ten items on this list, since my wife is Filipina! Balut is in fact too nasty looking for me to try, but my dad, when he visited my wife's home town, ate it on a dare. Of course, he's pure Norskie. I have Swedish, British, and Lapplander blood on my mother's side.

EDIT: By the way, I am shocked that none of the crazy things that Icelanders eat showed up on this list. Icelanders are Norwegians who moved to an island in the North Atlantic and proceeded to let their genetic predisposition for weird food run wild. When you have a little time, check out some of the things they eat for their Midwinter Feast! (I especially like how they prepare Greenland Shark, a food which, unprepared, is quite poisonous.)
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby sharien chan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:34 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1340779) wrote:EDIT: By the way, I am shocked that none of the crazy things that Icelanders eat showed up on this list. Icelanders are Norwegians who moved to an island in the North Atlantic and proceeded to let their genetic predisposition for weird food run wild. When you have a little time, check out some of the things they eat for their Midwinter Feast! (I especially like how they prepare Greenland Shark, a food which, unprepared, is quite poisonous.)

I saw on the travel channel this guy go there for the festival and sample all their native food....I've always wanted to go to Iceland but...now I'm not so sure...XD
sharien chan

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:56 pm

Ingemar (post: 1339986) wrote:Pbbbbpph, I haven't eaten balut yet and my national heritage is still intact. I really don't care who in my race I have offended by committing fowl fetucide.

Anyway, the Philippine food item that really terrifies me is diniguan. Google it.

Also known as Dinuguan. My wife tells me that she loves this. She especially speaks fondly of her mother's cooking of this dish.

Apparently as kids they get told this is "chocolate meat".

Interestingly, this is similar to a popular dish in Scandinavia, Black Soup.

By the way, she tells me she has never actually eaten the duck in the balut. she just like sucking down the liquid.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby sharien chan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:54 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1340869) wrote:
By the way, she tells me she has never actually eaten the duck in the balut. she just like sucking down the liquid.

Not sure which is weirder (no offense to her! ) eating it, or just drinking the liquid.....XDDDD
sharien chan

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:57 pm

sharien chan (post: 1340877) wrote:Not sure which is weirder (no offense to her! ) eating it, or just drinking the liquid.....XDDDD

What's weirder for me is that I'm able to tease my wife that my Norwegian dad ate the duck, and she doesn't!

sharien chan (post: 1340862) wrote:I saw on the travel channel this guy go there for the festival and sample all their native food....I've always wanted to go to Iceland but...now I'm not so sure...XD

I've got to see if I can find when this show airs again and set my DVR for it. I'd love to see this.

EricTheFred

Postby sharien chan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:49 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1340879) wrote:What's weirder for me is that I'm able to tease my wife that my Norwegian dad ate the duck, and she doesn't!

I've got to see if I can find when this show airs again and set my DVR for it. I'd love to see this.

It was interesting. It's that guy who eats all the weird food in different countries. I forget his name. But even he was like "...you eat what?"
sharien chan

Postby Debitt » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:25 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1340779) wrote:EDIT: By the way, I am shocked that none of the crazy things that Icelanders eat showed up on this list.

You have me morbidly curious now. GOOGLE TIME GO.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby NarutoAngel221 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:17 pm

I have seen some movies that up size drink,s fries and burgers can cause obesity ?? But I dont care I just love them
Naruto Forever. Can't wait for a Naruto MMORPG
NarutoAngel221

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:19 am

sharien chan (post: 1340901) wrote:It was interesting. It's that guy who eats all the weird food in different countries. I forget his name. But even he was like "...you eat what?"

There's several shows like that, but I think the one on the Travel Channel is Andrew Zimmern "Bizarre Foods". I love that guy, but I missed this episode. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 am

There's a guy in France who eats metal. Apparently his saliva is naturally more acidic than most humans, so he goes on tour and eats crazy stuff before a live audience. Planes, automobiles, light bulbs, all kinds of stuff.

Except eggs, apparently.
Fish and Chips

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:07 am

Fish and Chips (post: 1341097) wrote:There's a guy in France who eats metal. Apparently his saliva is naturally more acidic than most humans, so he goes on tour and eats crazy stuff before a live audience. Planes, automobiles, light bulbs, all kinds of stuff.

Except eggs, apparently.

Well, see, there's the reason why we can't all eat airplanes! Eggs really are bad for you!

EricTheFred

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:23 am

sharien chan (post: 1339888) wrote:My friends totally loves balut. Then again...he's from the Philippines.

I was wondering whether balut made the cut. Hmm, what about thousand-year-old eggs?
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby Derek_Is_Me » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:00 pm

cat on a stick
Derek -The Daring Pokemon - A cool, totally awesome Pokemon that uses his power of song, medical skills and powers of cool to make others see things differently. He is not temperamental, but he likes to pull pranks and grins when you fall into his traps. Usually, he styles a fedora and prances around on all fours, he's all black with a white belly.

"Although I look into infinity. I only see the lords eyes, always shining upon my face and smiling in my heart. He will always be with me, no matter where I may go. Always watch over me lord. For I shall be eternal in your light."-Derek.
Derek_Is_Me

Location: Staring at you from your window outside. You have nice tastes in decor.

Postby Nate » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:There's a guy in France who eats metal. Apparently his saliva is naturally more acidic than most humans, so he goes on tour and eats crazy stuff before a live audience. Planes, automobiles, light bulbs, all kinds of stuff.

But has he ever eaten an entire train piece by piece after derailing it wi...never mind.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:07 pm

Nate (post: 1341121) wrote:But has he ever eaten an entire train piece by piece after derailing it wi...never mind.

PFFFFBBBBT.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 pm

EricTheFred wrote:There's several shows like that, but I think the one on the Travel Channel is Andrew Zimmern "Bizarre Foods". I love that guy, but I missed this episode. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Oh, I love that show. I'd try about 9 out of 10 things featured on it.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Nate (post: 1341121) wrote:But has he ever eaten an entire train piece by piece after derailing it wi...never mind.
It was for charity!
Fish and Chips

Postby Jingo Jaden » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Lutefisk - XDDD That's pretty common around here actually. Particularity in the northern sector. Never seen anyone get as much as stomach-pain from it.

My mom's cooking could probably surpass all 6 of these though.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Maokun » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Why does it seem am I the only one offended by the balut at a deep, basic, soul level? It's way too wrong. It sounds like the kind of thing someone using footwear made of babies skin (skinned alive) would have for breakfast. Then for lunch he would have a live kitten, biting off part by part trying to keep it alive as long as possible. Finally, he would dine in hell.
Maokun

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:21 am

That's the true meaning of diversity, however. Some things won't be palatable to everyone.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:26 am

Maokun (post: 1341173) wrote:Why does it seem am I the only one offended by the balut at a deep, basic, soul level? It's way too wrong. It sounds like the kind of thing someone using footwear made of babies skin (skinned alive) would have for breakfast. Then for lunch he would have a live kitten, biting off part by part trying to keep it alive as long as possible. Finally, he would dine in hell.

Ah, so I gather you're familiar with Filipino cuisine?

I love teasing my wife about some of the things they eat (Balut is by no means unique!) and one of my favorite things is to start suggesting recipes whenever she's hacked off at our dogs. The kids start yelling "Nooooo!" and...

Eh. You gotta be there, I guess. Actually, she claims she's never actually eaten dog. But she has eaten just about anything that can be washed up on the seashore (she grew up literally on the shore of the South China Sea.) I still remember getting grit in my teeth from one of the salads at our wedding reception, because someone didn't get all the sand washed out of the seaweed...

And Filipino children may even be taught to think of their classmates as food! Note the following blurb for a Filipino children's book:
[quote]Pan de Sal Saves The Day.
Pan de Sal is a shy, plain little girl, embarrassed for living in a poor thatched-roof hut and for eating simple foods. She envies Croissant, Muffin and Doughnut, her richer and prettier classmates. One day, the school bus they are riding in has a flat tire, and Pan de Sal saves the day by entertaining her friends and sharing her simple lunch with them—]

EricTheFred

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Maokun (post: 1341173) wrote:Why does it seem am I the only one offended by the balut at a deep, basic, soul level? It's way too wrong. It sounds like the kind of thing someone using footwear made of babies skin (skinned alive) would have for breakfast. Then for lunch he would have a live kitten, biting off part by part trying to keep it alive as long as possible. Finally, he would dine in hell.

Hey, Jimmy Fallon's gotta eat too, ya know.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Maokun » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Sailor Kenshin (post: 1341372) wrote:That's the true meaning of diversity, however. Some things won't be palatable to everyone.

Yeah, I don't care about its palability or lack thereof. I'm talking here of cooking baby ducks inside their eggshells.

EricTheFred (post: 1341719) wrote:Ah, so I gather you're familiar with Filipino cuisine?

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1341905) wrote:Hey, Jimmy Fallon's gotta eat too, ya know.

I lol'd.
Maokun

Previous Next

Return to General