Gundam Unicorn Discussion

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:10 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1340903) wrote:Are you suggesting something about unicorns?

Only that the title dosn't seem very... Gundam to me. Everything else has had a more military sounding title or was a reference to a project or an acronym of something. Wing. Seed. F91. 00.

I just can't come up with a good reason for this title other than a mental image of a giant robotic unicorn... and that's just kind of ridiculous.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:26 pm

I think you need to read this.

Though I honestly think the Turn A Gundam is the greatest gundam ever.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby blkmage » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 pm

I was surprised that G Gundam only got 9 out of 10.

I just can't come up with a good reason for this title other than a mental image of a giant robotic unicorn... and that's just kind of ridiculous.

I was also surprised the Fuunsaiki didn't make the list either, although I guess it doesn't count as a Gundam?

blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:37 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1340915) wrote:I think you need to read this.

Ah. G-Gundam (mostly).

I was hoping this show wasn't G Gundam (whose name actually hides how freaking wierd it was) all over again.

Is it? The title mostly got my attention, and I haven't seen a plot summary yet. I'm just hoping the name is kind of... odd, and the story is something else entirely.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby blkmage » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:41 pm

Gundam Unicorn takes place in the Universal Century timeline, in UC 0096, three years after Char's Counterattack. There will be no shenanigans like G Gundam. Apparently, it even reaches back to UC 0001.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Then to reieterate my original question: why the odd title? Why not call it UC 96 or UC or Shadow of Char?

Also... *FACEPALM* at the actual G Gundam 'Unicorn' Gundam thing.

EDIT: Just saw the post you posted under Crimmy, which must have posted when I was responding to Crimmy's question, the response which appeared on this page, leading me not to see the last post on the previous page of the thread.

It's named after the main Gundam. Got it. Little less odd now.

My Deviantart
mechana2015

Postby MasterDias » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:56 pm

Yeah, the Unicorn Gundam's basic mode has a single white horn on it's forehead. Thus the name. The official site has an english plot introduction as well as character and mech profiles. It's worth a look.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Interestingly enough, the series' abbreviation is Gundam UC. Personally, I think it's not very well thought out because of the inevitable confusion between Unicorn and Universal Century.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:04 pm

CrimsonRyu17 (post: 1340915) wrote:I think you need to read this.

That article **** me off. I happen to like G Gundam, thank you very much. He should have just titled his article "I Frigging Hate G Gundam Oh and By the Way Turn A Looks Dumb".

The Turn A is indeed awesome. You win 1000 cool points for liking it, Crimmy.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:18 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1340925) wrote:That article **** me off. I happen to like G Gundam, thank you very much. He should have just titled his article "I Frigging Hate G Gundam Oh and By the Way Turn A Looks Dumb".

The Turn A is indeed awesome. You win 1000 cool points for liking it, Crimmy.

I dun think he was bashing the series so much as the actual gundam designs. Which I have to agree, the Zebra and Windmill gundams are rly rediculous. Not saying they're bad, just.. rediculous.

TURN A MUSTACHE POWAH.
CrimsonRyu17

Postby MasterDias » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Someone, apparently on Nico Nico Douga, made a Fan-made Opening to Gundam Unicorn. It predates the anime announcement by awhile (Looks like it was made a year ago, at least), but it's actually a fairly impressive piece of work.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby teigeki_calesa » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Thou shalt not blaspheme Fuunsaiki.

Nah, j/k. But really, the horse with a mecha strikes me more as funky than ridiculous.

Though I'm not too keen on timelines, (UC, CE, anything goes), I'm actually perked up at the thought of the Gundam franchise returning to its original timeline.
Excuse my blinking, just got too many shifts this week.
teigeki_calesa

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:26 am

This is slightly off-topic but Crimmy, your avatar is win.

Also horse robots are cool. This is a fact that cannot be disputed.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby battletech » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:18 am

The english website has been updated with new characters and one of them was born in 0001UC. A DVD release has been set.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby battletech » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 pm

The first Vol. is on Amazon for preorder. A subed trailer is out.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:12 am

Heh heh, I remember G Gundam. Good times, good times.

Anyways, back on topic. I haven't seen many Gundam series, just G and some of Seed, so I'm not really sure where I should start before looking into this series. Any pointers? I did pick up 08th MS Team due to a recomendation from a friend.
WrestlingOtaku

Postby blkmage » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:49 am

Unfortunately, the ones you've watched won't have anything to do with Unicorn. G Gundam and Seed are both alternate universe stories that have nothing to do with the Universal Century timeline. 08th MS Team is set during the One Year War (UC 0079) but is a side story that has nothing to do with the main UC story. However, out of the ones you've seen, the story structure of Seed is the most like the original Gundam series, so that'll give you an idea of what it's like. G Gundam is the least like most other Gundam series.

It also depends on how willing you are to put up with very old animation/direction/writing.

Gundam Unicorn takes place pretty well after the bulk of the Universal Century timeline. I'd say that at the very minimum, you'd have to know the main story (UC0079, the One Year War), which you can get by watching the Gundam trilogy of movies instead of the TV series. I'd assume that Zeta is necessary too, but I haven't actually seen Zeta (something I need to get started on pretty soon).
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:49 pm

A bunch of Gundam series will officially be streamed on ANN/Crunchyroll/Youtube starting in February. Anyone who's interested might want to take advantage of this.

MasterDias

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:29 pm

If you're gonna watch Universal Century Gundam, definitely start with the Gundam movie trilogy. Better pacing than the TV series, from what I've heard.

Also blkmage, definitely check out Zeta Gundam if you're into UC Gundam. I'm not a fan of Zeta myself, but there's some important stuff that takes place in Zeta.

It's pretty awesome that they're gonna stream the original series and Zeta! But is it going to be subbed or dubbed? The English dub for the original series isn't very good, and if they're going to stream it subbed I'd probably check that out, as the subbed version has never been available in the US that I know of.

Also I'd crap my pants if they announced that they're going to stream V Gundam, Turn A Gundam, or Double Zeta. (I've seen ZZ already anyway *cough* but it would still be cool.)
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Roy Mustang » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:50 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:
It's pretty awesome that they're gonna stream the original series and Zeta! But is it going to be subbed or dubbed? The English dub for the original series isn't very good, and if they're going to stream it subbed I'd probably check that out, as the subbed version has never been available in the US that I know of.

I would think both coming from the Bandai Channel. They post both the sub and dub of their streams.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang
[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Roy Mustang » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:56 pm

If you don't have a Blu Ray player, then there is no point in getting the Gundam Unicorn dvd's.

Only the Blu Ray format disc will be the international release that will have the sub and dub on it. The DVD will only have the English sub on it, but it has been reported to be R2 coding only and Amazon Japan shows the DVD as Region 2 only as well.

So, the only way to get the DVD one is if you have a non region player or just buy the Blu Ray disc.

Also, the price is $34.99 for each volume and it will be a six disc release. So $34.99 at six disc pre volume= no thank you!

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby blkmage » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1366911) wrote:Also, the price is $34.99 for each volume and it will be a six disc release. So $34.99 at six disc pre volume= no thank you!

This is an aspect of simultaneous international releases that I'd never considered. Essentially, we're paying Japan prices for these things because they're coming out at the same time. And even at this price point, Gundam UC is very underpriced compared to other OVAs (typically $45-60 per volume, each containing one TV-length episode). Obviously, pricing down further is out of the question, otherwise they risk reverse-importing and international markets just aren't worth pricing them down that low in Japan.
blkmage

Postby LiquidOcelot » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Roy Mustang (post: 1366911) wrote:If you don't have a Blu Ray player, then there is no point in getting the Gundam Unicorn dvd's.

Only the Blu Ray format disc will be the international release that will have the sub and dub on it. The DVD will only have the English sub on it, but it has been reported to be R2 coding only and Amazon Japan shows the DVD as Region 2 only as well.

So, the only way to get the DVD one is if you have a non region player or just buy the Blu Ray disc.

Also, the price is $34.99 for each volume and it will be a six disc release. So $34.99 at six disc pre volume= no thank you!

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]

I have a PS3 so no problem with Blu-Ray. But, that is quite an expense for just 6 volumes.
LiquidOcelot

Postby blkmage » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:59 pm

So guys, the first episode is out on Japanese PSN and it's been fansubbed. I just watched it. Yeah, I know, I'm a bad person; we'll deal with that later.

First of all, I think this is one of the best first episodes of anything I've ever seen. I mean, I've gone into a lot of Gundam shows, but this one destroyed my expectations. It was absolutely jaw-dropping.

Pre-requisite knowledge: at least for the first episode, I was fine. I'm about a quarter of the way through Zeta Gundam and have some cursory knowledge of what goes on after. Since this is the introductory episode, there's a ton of setup. Most of the references are just in passing (this war, that war, this incident, this Char guy, etc.).

Art and animation is absolutely stunning. Oh my goodness is it beautiful. I don't know how they did it, but it seems like a ridiculous improvement over Gundam 00. They are freaking magicians. And it's not just the Unicorn Gundam that looks great, freaking plain old GMs also look amazing in combat.

The soundtrack. This is the best soundtrack in a Gundam series. That is all.

Characters. The main character is probably the most normal in a Gundam that I can remember. Less prone to tears than Kira Yamato and less whiny than almost everyone else, while having emotion (unlike Setsuna F. Seiei and Heero Yuy). And the character designs are back to classic Gundam-ish with a tinge of modern design. Voices are surefine too.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that I haven't gotten across how impressed I was with this episode. So I will say this: maybe $35 isn't so unreasonable after all. I'm going to have to watch a few more, but if the next few are anything like the first, this is definitely on my to-buy queue, even if I don't own a Blu-ray player. That is how impressed I was.

Also, the next release is in Fall 2010. It's going to be an excruciating wait, that's for sure.
blkmage

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:41 pm

Gaaaaah, see. Now I wanna see this so so bad. There's been a LOT of hype and high expectations for Gundam Unicorn and it sounds like it's living up to it. Holy mess.

... Maybe I can fi- *cough*
CrimsonRyu17

Postby battletech » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:47 am

I saw the video. I only watched the first 10 minutes The very first part I thought I was looking at a live picture from space. WOW!!!
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby blkmage » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:16 am

Gundam history lesson:

Nope, that's true. In fact, that's been true since the beginning. For comparison, the One Year War (Mobile Suit Gundam) takes place in UC 0079, Zeta starts in UC 0087, and Char's Counterattack is UC 0093. The beginning of Unicorn takes place during UC 0001, which is some time after 2045 AD. It's marked because it's the beginning of mankind's migration to space and the completion of the first space colony. The rest of Gundam Unicorn takes place starting in UC 0096.
blkmage

Postby battletech » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Just came in the mail today and watched it.
The UC is back with a vengeance. I can not believe how much they put in to less than an hour. 5/5 stars
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby blkmage » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:42 pm

I've heard that the first episode covers the first volume and most of the second volume of the light novels, which was surprising to me.

I also heard that each episode was originally slated to be 90 minutes, but was reduced because of monies. This made me sad.
blkmage

Postby battletech » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:53 pm

blkmage (post: 1382119) wrote:I also heard that each episode was originally slated to be 90 minutes, but was reduced because of monies. This made me sad.

If that is true it was edited well.
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews