The [xyz] of Suzumiya Haruhi

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Roy Mustang » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Off topic:

Every time that I see the word Haruhiists.

It makes me think there are Haruhiamaniac yelling, What your going to do Kyoto Animation, when the Haruhiamaniac run wild on you!

On topic:

Is it their goal to kill off the franchise?

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby crazypackersfan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:51 pm

This sums up my opinion on the season:
Anime Bowl (my blog) - the most unusual anime blog possible
crazypackersfan

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:18 am

Who knew the scriptwriter's strike reached all the way to Tokyo... it's my only explanation.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 am

A few observations: It looks like KyoAni isn't going to be topping Clannad After Story anytime soon. Also, they get to join George Lucas and the Wachowski brothers as people who managed to ruin an impossible-to-ruin series.
blkmage

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:10 pm

Well, I hope episodes 9-14 or whatever of the new season are good, at least.

The difference with Lucas and the Wachowski brother is that they didn't do it intentionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:54 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1333867) wrote:The difference with Lucas and the Wachowski brother is that they didn't do it intentionally.

Jar Jar Binks says otherwise.

Disappearance is really good. The question will be whether people will be able to watch it without being blinded by rage.
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:27 pm

This is interesting enough to warrant a doublepost I think.

Kyoto Animation has now listed the first E8 DVD. The running time is longer than that of the Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody DVD, which only had one episode, so we're getting two episodes per Endless Eight DVD. Notice the cryptic numbering scheme.

Now then, Moonphase had the DVD releases listed two weeks ago. There are seven DVDs, with the seventh being another single episode one. The numbering scheme is as follows: we've got vol. 4, Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, and now we're onto vol. 5, which is Endless Eight. So, we've got vol. 5 and 1/7, vol. 5 and 2/7, etc. This means, 1 episode from vol. 4, 1 from vol. 5.999999, and 2 each from the six others, adding up to 14 episodes.

This raises the possibility that there are 13 Endless Eight episodes. The accompanying theory goes that the actual non Endless Eight episodes will be bonus episodes on each disc.
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:16 am

Hmmm that would be interesting. It would be a "I only hate you TV-viewers fans, not everyone) statment. I do wonder though, if they could produce 27 episodes, since despite the content being exactly the same, each Endless 8 episode was fully re-animated and produced. I almost feel sad for all that work wasted in something destined to be dismissed.
Maokun

Postby Yamamaya » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:13 pm

Gotta love Haruhi. I just finished watching the first season and I must say it was one of the most epic animes I have ever seen.

I have only watched the first two episodes of the second season, but they're still just as good as the first.
Yamamaya

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Maokun (post: 1334178) wrote:Hmmm that would be interesting. It would be a "I only hate you TV-viewers fans, not everyone" statement. I do wonder though, if they could produce 27 episodes, since despite the content being exactly the same, each Endless 8 episode was fully re-animated and produced. I almost feel sad for all that work wasted in something destined to be dismissed.

Yes, it basically suggests they had the resources to do at least one more entire volume out of the light novel series, and didn't. This is all starting to leave me wondering whether they had licensing issues, like maybe the publisher that owns the title is trying to milk the existing material out for yet one more season after this?

If so, I sure hope they have sufficient fans left to support it. Hard to say, after this.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:19 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1334613) wrote:I have only watched the first two episodes of the second season, but they're still just as good as the first.
I hope you really liked that second episode.
Fish and Chips

Postby crazypackersfan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:43 pm

Yamamaya (post: 1334613) wrote:Gotta love Haruhi. I just finished watching the first season and I must say it was one of the most epic animes I have ever seen.

I have only watched the first two episodes of the second season, but they're still just as good as the first.

My suggestion: stop there. I thought the same exact thing, until seeing what transpired afterward.
Anime Bowl (my blog) - the most unusual anime blog possible
crazypackersfan

Postby Maokun » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:08 am

Ah, blissful ignorance and the taunting sarcasm that ensues! Is it there a form of comedy finer than you?
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:50 am

As far as I'm aware, the author of the light novels and the publisher is apparently having some sort of dispute, which is why there hasn't been a new volume of the light novel since 2007, despite the ninth volume ending on a cliffhanger. There's been some speculation that this is also why the second season of Haruhi took so long to come to light.
blkmage

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:32 am

Maokun (post: 1335661) wrote:Ah, blissful ignorance and the taunting sarcasm that ensues! Is it there a form of comedy finer than you?

Other than that involving sheep and claymation, probably not.

EricTheFred

Postby pikmintaro » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:30 am

Oh wow they started a new season of Haruhi Suzumiya? I'll start watching it immediately!

w00t Haruhi
pikmintaro

Postby Sheol777 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:01 pm

Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Maokun » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:33 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1335697) wrote:Other than that involving sheep and claymation, probably not.

And cheese, do not forget cheese.
Maokun

Haruhi Suzumiya's Endless Eight arc confirmed to end

Postby Roy Mustang » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:03 pm

ANN wrote:The September issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Newtype magazine will confirm on Monday that the current Endless Eight arc of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya television anime series will end this week.

Link to story

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby blkmage » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

So it's done. The final episode confirms that 2ch's initial estimates of how a second season would look were not completely wrong. Endless Eight was definitely doable in one episode, as the events of the episode were pretty much exactly what the light novel chapter looked like.

Now we're back to wondering what terrible thing they'll push next. At this point, I'm so ready for them to phone it in and do Little Busters in the fall or something.
blkmage

Postby TriezGamer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:29 am

I'm expecting 5 episodes of Sighs next. Not only is it next chronologically, but I would expect it to be followed up with episode 00, and then the rest of the series. This would also make the move of episode 00 away from the beginning of the order fit better. I do think there is enough material in Sighs for 5 episodes, though it might feel a bit stretched, and I have no doubt they'll do a good job with it.

I expect KyoAni will save Disappearance for a true second season instead of Season One Plus.

For what it's worth, I actually enjoyed the entire E8 arc.
Embraced by a gentle breeze, my heart breaks as I think of you.
All alone at the top of the hill, I watch as the seasons go by.
--
Wishing for courage softly, I pray.
There's no going back now, to those tender days when you held me in your arms.

MOES "I can has Sane Sig now?"
TriezGamer

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:32 am

TriezGamer (post: 1336614) wrote:I'm expecting 5 episodes of Sighs next. Not only is it next chronologically, but I would expect it to be followed up with episode 00, and then the rest of the series. This would also make the move of episode 00 away from the beginning of the order fit better. I do think there is enough material in Sighs for 5 episodes, though it might feel a bit stretched, and I have no doubt they'll do a good job with it.

I expect KyoAni will save Disappearance for a true second season instead of Season One Plus.

For what it's worth, I actually enjoyed the entire E8 arc.

For me, it has been diminishing returns for 5 episodes. On this and other forums, I get the sense this is the case for most of the people posting. Of course, this does not represent a valid crossection of viewers. I wonder how the average fan in Japan (not the 2ch crowd but the average audience) felt about it.

BTW, there are only 3 episodes left if I understand correctly, not five. They still have two 'first season' episodes left to air.

EricTheFred

Postby TriezGamer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:16 am

Before the first episode aired, an announcement was made that this 'renewal' will be 28 episodes. That leaves 14 new episodes. We've had 9 now.
Embraced by a gentle breeze, my heart breaks as I think of you.
All alone at the top of the hill, I watch as the seasons go by.
--
Wishing for courage softly, I pray.
There's no going back now, to those tender days when you held me in your arms.

MOES "I can has Sane Sig now?"
TriezGamer

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:49 am

TriezGamer (post: 1336639) wrote:Before the first episode aired, an announcement was made that this 'renewal' will be 28 episodes. That leaves 14 new episodes. We've had 9 now.

Somewhere along the way, I managed to turn that into 24 episodes. Thanks.

EricTheFred

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:33 pm

So the final Endless Eight episode is, at long last, released. XD I just finished watching it. Thank goodness it's finally over. XD I still can't believe how long they dragged that out, but at least...we can relate to how Yuki must've been feeling? Or something? XD Either way, I'm excited to see what the rest of this season looks like!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Maokun » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:49 pm

So my prediction came true :P 8 endless 8 episodes. They truly felt like endless 8. By the way, I don't see it under a.f.k. releases, where did you guys get yours?
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:32 am

This week in Haruhi:
[spoiler]SIGHS.

This is kind of disappointing to me. There are five more new episodes left and they're spending at least two on Sighs. Somehow, I don't think that Disappearance can be done in less than four episodes and so it looks like that dream will be going down the drain. Of course, they could have some crazy crap to pull off later on. Who knows?

And if my guesses are right, it means that we waited three years for Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Endless Eight, and Sighs. Not a good deal, imo.[/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby Maokun » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:45 am

I wouldn't be surprised if dissappearance actually starts at episode 13th for a huge cliffhanger. Also, where are you guys getting your episodes so early? :S
Maokun

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:47 am

Mazui usually comes out with them next day, a.f.k. is usually out by Sunday. I haven't actually seen it yet though, if that's what you're wondering. I usually get information from raw watchers' blogs, forum posts, or the 2chan live thread.
blkmage

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Maokun (post: 1338079) wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if dissappearance actually starts at episode 13th for a huge cliffhanger. Also, where are you guys getting your episodes so early? :S

I usually watch the raw on one of the video posting sites as soon as it hits (usually very shortly after airtime.) I search out fansubs later to fill in the dialog I couldn't keep up with (I miss a lot in a dialog-heavy series like Haruhi!)

EricTheFred

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews