What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:25 pm

Writing has been replacing reading recently, but I'm still working my way through A Song of Ice and Fire.

A Feast for Crows by George RR Martin

Only covering half the world makes it feel like half a novel (and at this rate it will be years before a normal book, because A Dance With Dragons will just be the other half even when it finally comes out). There's a whole lot of Cersei and Jaime, who are good characters but not ones I enjoy reading greatly. This is going one chapter at a time, except for the occasional Arya section.
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:14 pm

Mark Z. Danielewski's [color="Blue"]House[/color] of Leaves for the second time, because it's that awesome.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:32 pm

Just finished The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams. Over 800 pages read in two days, just to show you how devourable it was. :thumb: Recommended, though there is a LOT of language to wade through, including taking the Lord's name in vain over and over...

Going to start Moonheart by Charles de Lint next, I believe.
Wyntre Rose

Postby ich1990 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:03 pm

“Exploring Romans” by John Phillips

Phillips must have been a pastor before he was an exegete. I started this book expecting it to provide a thorough, analytical analyses of the book of Romans. Instead, it essentially gave me a collection of sermons on the letter of Romans disguised as a commentary. Personally, I was looking for something a bit drier, but it wasn't unpleasant.

Like most sermons, the primary goal of this volume was to make the Bible seem interesting, hip, and relevant to the modern reader. As a result, Phillips frequently resorted to analogies, loosely related stories, outright speculations, and at least one non-sequitur. Sometimes this helped to make Romans seem more vivid. Other times, it drove his commentary completely off track and onto his personal soapboxes (evolution, capital punishment, Just War Theory, etc.).

The asides were usually tolerable, however, because Phillips generally provided useful comments along the way. For instance, he went out of his way to unite the entire Bible with the book of Romans. Paul frequently quotes portions of the Old Testament to show that Christianity is not a new religion but perfected Judaism. Phillips followed closely in Paul's footsteps, not only explaining Paul's selection of verses, but also adding his own correlating verses. Additionally, Phillips spends a great deal of time situating the letter to the Romans among Paul's other missionary journeys and letters. Both of these emphases went a long way towards painting the “bigger picture” of what Romans is all about.

It is a solid volume, if not spectacular or faultless. If the potential reader comes from a conservative or Evangelical theological persuasion, then “Exploring Romans” will well serve them as a readable, introductory commentary on Paul's great letter. 7/10

“Some Fruits of Solitude” by William Penn

Two decades of reading has well cemented a fact in my mind; when it comes to searching for wisdom or thought provocation, a reader can rarely do better then study the writings of old dead people. Therefore, when I discovered a complete set of “The Harvard Classics” --a full twenty-three thousand pages of old dead people's writings-- hiding in a corner of my grandparents' basement, it was like stumbling across a stasis chamber holding King Solomon. Despite having half a hundred books already on my list to read (this summer), I couldn't help but take home the first volume in the series and find out what the founder of Pennsylvania had learned during his time of isolation.

The setup of “Some Fruits...” is quite similar to that of Proverbs. It contains about 850 single sentence aphorisms that are arranged according to theme. Many of these statements are quite striking and have a ring of truth to them: “And he that is taught to live upon a little, owes more to his Father's Wisdom, than he that has a great deal left him, does to his Father's Care.”

Penn also has a curmudgeon's sense of humor: “'T is a Happiness to be delivered from a Curious Mind, as well as from a Dainty Palate.”

All told, however, many of these profound statements have little usefulness outside of the proverbial cocktail party; even when the one-liners are practical, they usually overlap with Proverbs. “Some Fruits of Solitude” is entertaining to read, has plenty of quotable quotes, contains loads of random capitalization, but, unfortunately, doesn't go much beyond that. 8/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:39 pm

Still attempting to finish The Shadow Rising. *sigh* I'm in a Lanfear chapter now, which isn't helping matters much....

Anyway, now I'm reading:

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
The writing's excellent, of course, and the court intrigue is...well, intriguing. But somehow it doesn't capture my attention as much as I was hoping it would, after the amazing Count of Monte Cristo. Maybe it's just that the main character seems so much more flippant and worldly, getting riled up at the slightest insult and falling in love with a married woman.

"Flowers for Algernon" (forgot the author)
A really good story about a mentally retarded man. Very tragic. It reminded me of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, but the two are very different stories. If you (like me) have a thing for stories about people with mental problems, then I would highly recommend this.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:16 am

Currently reading Sabriel by Garth Nix. It's the first in his Abhorsen trilogy.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:34 am

Terry Pratchett's Feet of Clay. Yay, another City Watch book! Those are some of my favorites in the series.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:48 am

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1334331) wrote:Terry Pratchett's Feet of Clay. Yay, another City Watch book! Those are some of my favorites in the series.

Mine as well. :grin:
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby BubblegumNinja » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:23 am

Busy with my Dad's manuscript at the moment XD
BubblegumNinja

Postby rocklobster » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:18 pm

reading Lirael, Daughter of the Clayr by Garth Nix.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ich1990 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:45 pm

[b]“Surprised by Hopeâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:16 pm

A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Two books I had to read for a course, though I enjoyed both of them, particularly Things Fall Apart, the story of one of the greatest men in a small collection of Nigerian villages, who lives in constant fear of being thought similar to his father, a good humored but lazy and wastefully indebted musician, as the British empire encroaches on their homeland. Definitely a solid read.
Fish and Chips

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:44 pm

Fish and Chips (post: 1335931) wrote:Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

aslkjlakgj I haaaaated that book. XD Part of that is probably due to the fact that I studied it under an extraordinarily incompetent teacher and was given three enormous 80-someodd question tests on the book that asked really tedious questions, though. XDD

Anyways, my summer reading list has been thrust aside because of my Shakespeare class! I'm not complaining. XD Thus far:

The Taming of the Shrew
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Twelfth Night (I loved this onneeee <333)
Henry V

And we're starting Hamlet as of tomorrow. I've read it before and it's my faaavoriteee. I'm stoked. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:51 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:
And we're starting Hamlet as of tomorrow. I've read it before and it's my faaavoriteee. I'm stoked. XD

See if you can get extra credit for writing a dissertation on the MST3k episode.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby rocklobster » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Currently reading The Shack.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby BubblegumNinja » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:08 am

I'm busy with Spoilt by Terry Denby now.
BubblegumNinja

Postby rocklobster » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Just started book 2 in The Keys to the Kingdom: Grim Tuesday

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GeneD » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:32 pm

I just started ready The Carpet People again and am also reading Living in Times of Dragons part 3, albeit very, very slowly.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Jingo Jaden » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:59 am

Finished 'Charlemagne' by Derek Wilson.

Moving on to 'The Republic' by Plato.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Technomancer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Under a Green Sky: Global Warming, The Mass Extinctions of the Past, and What They Can Tell Us About Our Future by Peter D. Ward

In a fairly easy to read manner Ward explains the importance of much of the current research (including his own) on three particularly important mass extinctions that are generally held to be have been caused by catastrophic global warming: the Permo-Triassic, the Triassic-Jurassic, and the Paleocene-Eocene events. He also offers a discussion of what these periods mean for our own times. I recommend this book as being both well-written and accessible, but also because it considers much of the most recent fieldwork currently being done (the book was written in 2006, and is therefore quite up to date).
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Arya Raiin » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm reading Rangers Apprentice #3. :cool: Also I'm rereading Eragon.
Arya Raiin

Postby AngelicTotoro » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Just finishing up the third Lord of The Rings book, for the 3rd time. :D
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Maokun » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:54 am

Storm Front, book 1 on the Harry Dresden series.

Overally I liked it. The writing felt really amateurish at points even to my unlearned eyes, but the book is pushed forward by the strenght of the main character, Harry Dresden, who's really well construed, charismatic and easy to relate to. I believe the author has some great ideas -and every once in a while deliver some awesome one-liners, but he needs to hone his literary and narrative techniques. (Which is no wonder, as he's just recently become a writer after a fruitful life dedicated to martial arts, horse riding and several other offices and passions.)

I'm positive I'll see an improvement in the next books in the series and I look forward to them.
Maokun

Postby Kkun » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:43 am

Trouble is My Business by Raymond Chandler
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby christianfriend » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:51 am

Finished Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer today.
And I'm working on my Driver's Manual, and Jobs for Travel Lovers by Ron and Caryl Krannich. (<-- picked that one up at the Library out of curiosity :P )
[font="Lucida Console"][align=center]“The [color="Magenta"]best[/color] kind of [color="Magenta"]friend[/color] is the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.â€
christianfriend

Postby rocklobster » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:31 am

I'm starting Wuthering Heights.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby BubblegumNinja » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:43 am

rocklobster (post: 1337877) wrote:I'm starting Wuthering Heights.

Heh, I remember reading that back in high school for my exams. I really couldn't put it down.
BubblegumNinja

Postby Strafe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm looking into Sociology just a little bit, and I started The Republic by Plato. I have to think while reading it though. :P I can't just skim through and pick up the points like I do with School books.
This is an original signature
Strafe

Postby KagayakiWashi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:45 pm

I'm going through a Bible study where we are reading Francis Chan's "Crazy Love".

[color="Red"]HIGHLY RECOMMENDED[/color]
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:51 am

I just got back from the local Farmers' Market where they have a nice used book store. Picked up:

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson
The Sicilian by Mario Puzo
The Iliad by Homer
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
The Bird's Nest by Shirley Jackson

Don't know when I'll get around to reading them.
Htom Sirveaux

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner