What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:57 am

Tonight I watched Control.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:50 am

Tonight I watched Hellboy.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Tonight I went to see Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
GhostontheNet

Postby Danderson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:36 am

Watched The Day the Earth Stood Still (the 08 version)....

Heard it wasn't amazing, but since it had Keanue Reeves as a dead pan alien in a human body (notice he always plays the best dead pan characters)....
All I can say is, it had potential to use the themes (and even some spiritual metaphors and allegories) it was communicating to it's advantage, but besides that and lack of character development, it never got there. So, by the end u feel like u were cheated into watching an environmental propaganda film.

Probably what disappointed me the most was that the direct is supposedly a Christian (he was the one who directed The Exorcism of Emily Rose), and while visually it looked great, everything else seemed sub-par quality.
Danderson

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Danderson (post: 1329326) wrote:Watched The Day the Earth Stood Still (the 08 version)....

Heard it wasn't amazing, but since it had Keanue Reeves as a dead pan alien in a human body (notice he always plays the best dead pan characters)....
All I can say is, it had potential to use the themes (and even some spiritual metaphors and allegories) it was communicating to it's advantage, but besides that and lack of character development, it never got there. So, by the end u feel like u were cheated into watching an environmental propaganda film.

Probably what disappointed me the most was that the direct is supposedly a Christian (he was the one who directed The Exorcism of Emily Rose), and while visually it looked great, everything else seemed sub-par quality.
Hold on, what makes you say that a Christian cannot be an environmentalist? In contemporary contexts, evangelicals have become increasingly concerned with the environment, and rightly so. Don't misunderstand me, films that overstress the underlying ideology tend to be rather poor aesthetically, but this doesn't mean that what they're all about is wrong. I guess it's just one of those cases where when you try too hard to get across a message, you come across as overearnest and self-righteous and succeed only in alienating your audience. People want to interpret movies in their own fashion, so a good director knows how to leave them room to do so.
GhostontheNet

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:42 am

Vantage Point

:wow!: Oh my goodness I loved this movie to bits!! A unique way to go about things, rewinding and looking at the same scene from a different perspective. There were also lots of actors I know and like - Dennis Quaid, William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, and Michael Fox! It was exciting and mysterious. And the ending.... [spoiler]When everything was coming crashing together and that guy saved the little girl.... I think that is the most heroic action I've ever seen before.[/spoiler]

I'm also in the middle of watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, sort of to get ready for watching Half-Blood Prince next week.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:38 am

Tonight I watched The Nightmare Before Christmas.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:28 pm

I just watched Suspiria.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:04 pm

Wow, I've been on a Dario Argento kick lately. Last night I watched The Bird with the Crystal Plumage.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:01 pm

I just finished watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
GhostontheNet

Postby KagayakiWashi » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:51 pm

I introduced my room mate to Akira Kurosawa last night through the movie "Yojimbo" and watched "The Bad Sleep Well" today. Interesting film dealing with revenge.....
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:50 pm

Last night I watched Coraline.
GhostontheNet

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:13 pm

The Bucket List

Not as great the second time around but still humorous and enjoyable.

"Somewhere in the world a lucky man is having a heart attack."
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:22 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1330769) wrote:Last night I watched Coraline.

Fantastic movie.

Watched the nightmare on elms street last night
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:47 am

Tonight I watched Ginger Snaps and Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed.

GrubbTheFragger (post: 1331659) wrote:Fantastic movie.
Yes, I absolutely loved it both times I saw it in the theater, especially on my second viewing was able to eat buffalo wings at the same time at a theater restaurant. I picked it up the day it was released on DVD, and am proud to have it in my collection.
GhostontheNet

Postby GeneD » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Just finished watching Hancock. I enjoyed it and there was one or two pleasantly unexpected developments.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Sheol777 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:30 pm

Watchmen - for the second time. I feel odd about it. The first time I saw it I thought it was fantastic, a good translation to the big screen. Now, I'm not so sure how much is stands just as a movie with no comic book baggage.

Anyone else?
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:19 pm

High Anxiety. Not Mel Brooks' best work, but it has its moments. I loved all the Hitchcock references.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:03 am

Tonight I watched Demon Seed and Edward Scissorhands.
GhostontheNet

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:16 am

Tonight I watched Millions.

I really love this movie.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:59 pm

I love millions ^^ (btw love ur avatar that movie made me cry lol)

just saw Taken good movie ^^
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 am

Tonight I watched The Princess Bride.
GhostontheNet

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:37 am

I watched half of "A boy and his Dog" before I left for a party the other day.

Thoroughly disturbing movie... When [spoiler]A serial rapist is the GOOD GUY of the movie (compared to the ones who rape and then kill) that is a craphole world...[/spoiler]

I'm not sure if I'm going to finish it, but the only time I ever stop watching movies is when I have to go somewhere, so I would have finished it if I had the time... (the exceptions are a DND title, and "Love and Pop"... The former took me over a week to get through all the way, and the latter I decided to stop watching)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby BubblegumNinja » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:33 am

Last movie I watched was Spiderwick :c Lost it's charm after the second viewing...
BubblegumNinja

Postby Danderson » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:53 pm

17 Again......very awkward movie...how you be if u're dad suddenly transforms into Zach Effron?....
Danderson

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:25 pm

Watchmen... blah. It was an average movie I guess but I just couldn't get into it. It had a balance problem.... on one side, it was incredibly cheesy. Too cheesy to be taken seriously. Yet it was too serious to have any fun with and together, it was just a bad mix... Not sure who the target audience was really. Fans of the comic, obviously but other than that... too cheesy and goofy for adults in general and too violent/serious for kids.

I remember the fans for this on IMDb and stuff talking about how amazing this was and stuff and thought provoking yadayadayada... I'm sorry but after watching it I just had to roll my eyes. Anyone who thinks this is some important deep movie for the open minded and intellectually gifted movie goer is officially an uber nerd.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:48 pm

I just finished watching 28 Days Later.
GhostontheNet

Postby Kkun » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1332596) wrote:Watchmen... blah. It was an average movie I guess but I just couldn't get into it. It had a balance problem.... on one side, it was incredibly cheesy. Too cheesy to be taken seriously. Yet it was too serious to have any fun with and together, it was just a bad mix... Not sure who the target audience was really. Fans of the comic, obviously but other than that... too cheesy and goofy for adults in general and too violent/serious for kids.

I remember the fans for this on IMDb and stuff talking about how amazing this was and stuff and thought provoking yadayadayada... I'm sorry but after watching it I just had to roll my eyes. Anyone who thinks this is some important deep movie for the open minded and intellectually gifted movie goer is officially an uber nerd.

Wait, you watched Watchmen and thought it was CHEESY? How? What made it cheesy?
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:19 pm

The Haunting (the 1963 b&w original). It changes/leaves out a few good bits from the book that I'd been hoping to see, but it's still pretty good. I thought the voiceover parts for Eleanor's thoughts were done well. Much better to do it that way than some cheesy, soap-opera soliloquy.

Also, just picked up the original House on Haunted Hill. It's the colorized version, and I'd honestly rather see it in b&w, but what sold it for me anyway was the optional Mike Nelson commentary track.
This should be interesting.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:36 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1332605) wrote:I just finished watching 28 Days Later.

Surprisingly good film.

Also, if you thought Watchmen was cheesy then you probably missed the entire point of the whole film.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment