Manga Recommendations Thread

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby minakichan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:41 pm

OOOOOK.

So the MW live action movie is coming out.

Has anyone read the MW manga/can anyone comment on it? I know that while it's not technically "yaoi," it has a homoerotic relationship and even some sex, but how bad is it and is it worth it for the series? I really like the plot concept, and the idea of Tezuka Osamu writing like... mass murdering psychopaths, but yeaaaah, not so big on the er, you know, elements.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Dr.Faust » Sun May 03, 2009 8:06 pm

what is sayonara zetsubou sensei about? i read the first book but i don't got is but i think its funny
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby EricTheFred » Sun May 03, 2009 9:50 pm

I don't think there's anything deeper in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei than generic dark humor. It's good in its own way, but a little repetitive for my tastes.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Lilac#18 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:42 pm

What's a good funny (shojo or shonen) manga to read? My niece who is 10 yrs old wants to know.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Dr.Faust » Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

mumu power and maybe honey clover. by the way i don't under stand your signtur please explane
Dr.Faust

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon May 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Lilac#18 (post: 1309146) wrote:What's a good funny (shojo or shonen) manga to read? My niece who is 10 yrs old wants to know.

Ultra Maniac, definitely. It's funny, cute, very clean (if you don't mind a very, very fantasy-esque version of "witches"), and just right for her age. I wouldn't quite suggest Honey & Clover yet, since, while it is clean, it has some more adult situations. Maybe when she's a little older, though. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Dr.Faust » Mon May 04, 2009 2:47 pm

kittey rade i dont know i dont read shojo

last one sgt frog i love sgt frog but not for your neace but for you
Dr.Faust

Postby EricTheFred » Mon May 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Tokyo Mew Mew (Mew Mew Power is the US release anime) is pretty clean and works well for preadolescents. I'll second Ultra Maniac. I've only read the first couple volumes of Sailor Moon, but they struck me as about the same age range as well.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Lilac#18 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:03 pm

Dr.Faust (post: 1309175) wrote: by the way i don't under stand your signtur please explane

Do you mean the whole signature or part of it? I'm sorry, I don't understand specifically on what you want to know about it.

Thank you guys for your suggestions.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby Dr.Faust » Tue May 05, 2009 4:30 pm

i got a qusten. do any of you guys think sgt. frog is un-christen? i ask this becuse one of the frogs is ( as odd as this will sound ) a h***s****
Dr.Faust

Postby EricTheFred » Wed May 06, 2009 7:26 am

Dr.Faust (post: 1309498) wrote:i got a qusten. do any of you guys think sgt. frog is un-christen? i ask this becuse one of the frogs is ( as odd as this will sound ) a h***s****

The great majority of manga/anime is, by definition, unchristian, in the sense that it does not exist to promote Christ, nor does it come from a Christian perspective (less than 2 percent of Japan is Christian.)

I only become concerned when manga (or any entertainment) becomes anti-Christian, i.e. actively attacks Christianity, or when it includes too much immoral content.

Sgt. Frog is comedy, with heavy reliance on parody. It pokes deliberate fun at several Japanese pop standards and tropes. I don't really see it as spiritually problematic. The only problem I do have is that it also makes use of fanservice involving girls of junior-high age. Admittedly, these girls are the same age as the Japanese boys who are the original target audience, but it is still a bit inappropriate.

Nevertheless, I haven't banned it from my house, because while it has pushed my limits a couple times, it has yet to cross them. So, my boys and I have a complete collection on the shelves, that is one of the most dog-eared series we own.

EricTheFred

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed May 06, 2009 5:07 pm

I was reading a review on Anime News Network about The Key to the Kingdom, and it seems right up my ally. Would anyone here recommend it?

I can handle violence, if it is tasteful and not gory, and mild language, however sex and nudity I would prefer at a minimum if at all, and I am not a yaoi fan. Would it fit into those guidelines? Thanks!
Wyntre Rose

Postby airichan623 » Fri May 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Adie (post: 1095283) wrote:I'm looking for some new manga to get into, as I've only read a very small amount. I'm currently following Tsubasa Chronicle and Hikaru No Go, and am enjoying them very much.

My favorite genres are shoujo, drama, fantasy, romance, and adventure, but I'm pretty much open to anything as long as the content isn't over-the-top.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

I reccommend From Far Away, Gakuen Alice, Imadoki!, and Yotsuba!&.

I also reccommend Kitchen Princess but stick with it until book 5- then it gets REALLY GOOD.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:54 pm

My anime list is over twice the size of my manga list, so I'm looking for more manga to balance it out. Anybody have recommendations?

Here's most the stuff I already read...

- .hack//Legend of the Twilight - Super.
- D.N.Angel - Amazing.
- Fruits Basket - Like.
- Goth - Was okay. Mainly the violence and language that got to me... :-/ I really liked the story and the art though. If it wasn't for certain things I'd easily have given it 4-5/5.
- Magic Knight Rayearth I - Like.
- Rurouni Kenshin - Only read one volume, but I definitely want to read the others. It's a great anime and I heard the manga's better.
- Sailor Moon - Took a bit to grow on me, but now I love it.
- Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE - AMAZING!
- Vampire Knight - Another great shojo. It's almost tied with Fruits Basket on my list.
- xxxHOLiC - Only read one volume, and it was good. Not sure if I'll read the rest though.

Some I'm thinking of checking out are...

-Cardcaptor Sakura (since I'm loving the anime. So kawaii!)
-Magic Knight Rayearth II (since I read the first one)
-Ouran High School Host Club

As far as non-manga goes, I really like suspense novels... like books by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. I also like fantasy... like stuff by C.S. Lewis. If anybody could give me some manga among those lines, that'd be amazing. ^_^ I'm mainly looking for shonen but if you have seinen or shojo that's fine too. I've never watched or read josei so I don't know if I'd like it.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby blkmage » Thu May 21, 2009 5:13 pm

If you've watched more anime, you should list the ones that you liked too, since it'll help with recommendations.

For shounen series, it's fairly predictable since it'll pretty much be whichever shounen anime is popular. So you've got the big three: Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. For other shounen, there's FMA, which is almost a no-brainer and should be an automatic check that out. I don't know much else about your reading or watching, so I think I'll suggest Bakuman, which is a shounen about two guys in high school trying to become serialized mangaka, and is done by the duo who did Death Note. Negima as a shounen has been really good recently, enough to make it one of my favourites, but there is a ridiculous amount of fanservice in the first few volumes that makes me hesitant to suggest it. If you don't think you'd mind, you should check it out.

Shoujo is a lot easier since they tend to be shorter and are less varied. I really, really like Koukou Debut and Kare Kano. You should probably take a look at Lovely Complex and Aishiteruze Baby. Oh, and Ouran is pretty good too.

Other stuff: Liar Game and Mirai Nikki are kinda Death Note-ish. Nodame Cantabile is an excellent josei romantic comedy about music students. Cross Game and Hikaru no Go are two sports shounen that I really like because of the non-sports aspects involved too. Hayate the Combat Butler is a pretty good shounen comedy/parody gag manga. Bitter Virgin is a seinen manga that is a really, really sad drama. Yotsuba&! is the best slice-of-life manga ever and could possibly be the best manga ever.
blkmage

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Oh yeah, I don't know why I didn't say the anime I've watched....

-Bleach is good, one of my favorites. Is the manga worth reading?
-I'm almost done with the first season of Mermaid Melody. Not a top 10, but it's cute. I'll probably wind up reading the manga sooner or later.
-One Piece and Naruto are good anime to the points I've gotten to so far (I haven't watched much though). The mangas are extremely long though... should I go for them anyway?
-I've also watched a few episodes of FMA and think it's pretty good. I know some characters are completely different in the manga though.
-Angelic Layer was a cute anime.... the manga seems short so I'll probably look into that too.

I was thinking of reading Inu Yasha but gave up on that once I found out how long it was.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby blkmage » Thu May 21, 2009 5:42 pm

Among the people that I know, most of them prefer to read Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto instead of watching it, mostly because the manga is a lot more concise and doesn't suffer from the filler problem. If you choose to start reading any one of these, it isn't necessary to start from the beginning. You can pick up right from where you are in the anime and continue on.

Of course, you'll have to decide if you like them enough to get into them. I can't say that I liked Bleach after getting into Hueco Mondo and Naruto has its ups and downs since it's so long. I hear One Piece gets really good, but since I haven't started it, there's over 500 chapters to go through there.

The first season of the FMA anime had an anime original ending because it finished before the manga did (which is still ongoing). Last month, the studio started FMA over again with the intent of following the manga storyline.
blkmage

Postby Dr.Faust » Sat May 23, 2009 1:00 pm

I just bought Negima I want to know weather it's henti or not. I'm 15 so some sexual inundos are ok but if Negmia is like Afro Samouri then I wont countew to read it.Let me know how you fell
Dr.Faust

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat May 23, 2009 1:29 pm

Negima isn't hentai, no, but it's pretty much a fanservice series. I know someone's going to swoop in here going, "No there's a magic academy and plot and blah blah blah." It's a straight fanservice series that just so happens to also have something vaguely resembling plot development.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Sat May 23, 2009 2:06 pm

More accurately, Negima is a fanservice series with the occasional shounen for the first 70-80 chapters, at which point, it flips and becomes a shounen series with the occasional fanservice.
blkmage

Postby Dr.Faust » Sat May 23, 2009 2:15 pm

thinks guys i guess i'll keep reading just got full frst season of fma all for 50.00 bucks at best buy the full second season there too
Dr.Faust

Postby RFC » Sat May 30, 2009 2:35 pm

If nobody minds a bit of a big journey, I recommend the Black Cat manga series. It's my favorite so far :thumb:

If you want a shorter series and don't mind an open ending, Rozen Maiden has wonderful artwork and interesting characters (8 volumes total).
[color="Plum"]Jesus Freak Forever!![/color]
Proud creator of the Fakir Girls! (To visit our forum: click on the banner)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color] [color="Plum"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators[/color]
"MOES:You gotta know when to hold it, know when you've scrolled it."
[color="PaleGreen"]Con List: Anime L.A. 2008, Saboten Con 2009, Con-Nichiwa 2010[/color]
RFC

Postby Dr.Faust » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Hay did sole eater come out in the US
Dr.Faust

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Dr.Faust (post: 1321434) wrote:Hay did sole eater come out in the US

Hmmm, I'm seeing (reading) that the first English volume will be released October of this year ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby blkmage » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:47 am

Soul Eater is currently being serialized in English in Yen Plus, which happens to be the reason why the first volume is being released far off in the distance.
blkmage

Postby Lady Kenshin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:36 pm

Oops!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby steenajack » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:26 am

Does anyone know of a manga/anime that I could read. I pretty much like anything with a good storyline, a romance, comedy, and possible thought provoking themes. I'm open to both internet and book releases. I'm also trying to find a magical girl type manga/anime or mabey a Christian type series. As far as content goes:
violence: no graphic blood or gore, but I can handle fight scenes and minor blood. (ex: From Far Away)
sex: none. minor innuendos is as far as I will go. Brief kisses are also fine. No homosexual themes, or implied things of that sort. And no corroded humor or hentai. But I can handle the Kingdom Come webmanga. As well as Heavenbound. I'm a bit more about how something is viewed than just the action.
Nudity: No fanservice, but I can handle certain outfits. I can also handle undetailed nudity such as in most magical girl manga.
language: mild (ex:From Far Away, Prince of Tennis)
Religion: Nothing occultic or Harry Potter-ish. But I have read the book Eragon and was fine. I also like Avatar: The last Airbender.

Some Manga I've read/enjoyed:
From Far Away (One of the best mangas I've ever read)
Hikaru no Go (OMGOSH! Luv this series)
Kingdom Hearts series (I believe this is one of my first intro's to manga. I like it)
One I love (Very cute)
Manga Messiah (Interesting)
Serenity (sweetness!)
Saint Tail (cute)
Inverloch (luv it)
Game Plan (AWESOME!)
Prince of Tennis (Intriguing)
Heavenbound (I'm starting to enjoy this one)
Kingdom Come (I really like it, but I'm not so sure if the writer is updating anytime soon)
Skipping tomorrows (LOOOOOOVE IT)

Non-manga:
Goofyfoot gurl (I think this one is cute)
Hand of Morningstar (luv it!)

I know these are tough guidelines, but any help would be great.:?:;) Also please warn me of any content. Thank you.
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 pm

All right guys and girls.... I'm mostly looking for some shonen manga that's as good as Bleach/Naruto/One Piece, but preferably not as long... I don't have the time, money, or perserverance to invest in starting a series like that at this moment in time.

Also, I've been thinking of checking out Kitchen Princess. How good is it?

Here's what I've read... I'll list out shojo too, since it'll give you more of an idea of what I like.

.hack//Legend of the Twilight - Very, very good.
D.N.Angel - Favorite.
Fruits Basket - Favorite shojo.
Goth - It had a good story and amazing drawings, but the amount of gore ruined it for me (as did the little bit of language). I can take gore and violence to an extent, but this was just way too much. Wouldn't have finished if it was more than one volume.
High School Debut - Only read one chapter of the first volume so far, but it's off to a good start.
Magic Knight Rayeart I - It was really, really good actually. Very epic. Definitely will have to read MKR II sometime.
Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch - I read three volumes.... and now I'm sure that I absolutely can't stand this manga. The story's just too medicore for me and the amount of perverted stuff in it just makes it even harder for me to get through.
Revolutionary Girl Utena - I would rather not elaborate since this is a "do not discuss" title.
Rurouni Kenshin - Amazing... One of the best shonen I've watched/read.
Sailor Moon - Not my favorite, but very good.
Tokyo Mew Mew - Not my favorite, but it's adorable.
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE - Other favorite.
Vampire Knight - Outstanding artwork... the first two volumes were super, but I've only read those two. I've heard things get a bit worse later so I guess I'll just see what happens, but I will say that I thought the first two volumes were awesome.
xxxHOLiC - Not a favorite, but it was very interesting still. I gave it a fairly decent score. The artwork was super too.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby blkmage » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:39 am

Shounen fighting manga specifically, or shounen in general?

For fightan' I'll recommend FMA and Soul Eater. Both of them are monthly serializations and started after any of the big Shounen Jump three, so they should be of a much more manageable length.

For non-fightan', there's a lot of stuff. Bakuman is by the Death Note duo and is about a duo of high school guys trying to make a hit manga. It's great because of how meta the entire thing is. Cross Game is a baseball manga with a huge focus on the relationships between characters. Hayate the Combat Butler is a gag manga that features a lot of parodies and references to other series. Yakitate!! Japan is what happens when you apply shounen battle manga to breadmaking.
blkmage

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:30 pm

Shonen fighting is good, but any sort of shonen is fine. I'm looking for more shonen to add to my list. I've got lots of shojo but not very much shonen.

Thanks! I'll have to look into those... All of those sound very interesting.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews