First day of Driving training

Talk about anything in here.

First day of Driving training

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:43 pm

So, with 3 weeks until my 27th birthday, I'm finally getting my license...

I had a 2 hour lesson today... Cars still freak the crap out of me, but I did drive. I drove first in a residential area, then a bit on a big street (but not a freeway...) and... It still scares the crap out of me.

The reason I didn't go for my license at 16 was because it scared the crap out of me... I think I'm finally going to get it, though... Maybe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm with you mate, I totally understand. I only went for my driving licence just over 2 years ago (and I'm 25). For the same reason too. You'll be fine. As you practice, you learn more, you get better at driving, you get less anxious/scared etc. It's a huge step. Good on you. I'll be praying for you Bob.
I still haven't got my full licence. In South Australia you have to be on your Learner's licence for 12 months and then your Provisional licence for 24 months after that. Then you get your full licence. Is it more or less strict in the US?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby heero yuy 95 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:05 pm

Hey, I feel ya. I remember when I took driver's ed. It really made my skin pale. Haha, having an instructor who yelled at me on the highway didn't help either. But hey, when you're done, trust me, it'll be worth it. And like Warrior 4 Jesus said, the more you do it, the less scary it will become.
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby minakichan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Ah, I'm so scared of cars. I have my license (got it late at 18) but cars suck. I need to learn to drive better...

Good luck!
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm more intimidated by the testing than driving. It's been three years since I've been driving on my own, but I've been putting off and still haven't gotten around to finishing up this stupid graduated license testing.
blkmage

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:15 pm

If you're afraid of cars, you're more likely to make a mistake, so just try to relax and practice a lot.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ADXC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:20 pm

Hey man, it's all cool. When I first started driving(The first few weeks), I hated driving! I mean I loathed it because I was so afraid I'd do something horribly wrong. But now it's easier because I have a couple years of driving under my belt. Don't worry bud, this fear will go away. You just have to keep on driving and get used to it.

I really don't think it matters at what age someone wants to drive, but that they want to drive and continue on in this desire. That's where it really takes guts. You can look at different parts of the world where you don't have to drive(Like New York.) to get around, but when you take the time(Even in all the stuff that you have to do! TESOL course units and learning Japanese.) to learn a new skill that will forever help you in the future, it is truly a blessing from God.
ADXC

Postby Nate » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:33 pm

I didn't get my license until I was like 20.

Of course that's because I was lazy. I had to take the written test three times because I was too lazy to study for it and they asked ridiculously stupid questions.

I love driving though. Sometimes I just go out and drive. For no real reason. Just to drive, y'know? Though not so much ever since gas prices went up.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:36 pm

I used to be scared of driving too. I've had my provisional for about a year now, and over time I've come to enjoy driving, especially now that I can have my music in my car. Highway driving still scares me a little bit, but only when I have to merge and that's not even that bad.

I think the testing is the worst part. The license test in my state really doesn't test skills you really need while driving. I mean, you should know how to do the stuff, but still. Anyway, I like being able to drive and like the others said you build more confidence the more you do it.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Besides the fact I had a demon man for a driving tester (to get my license), I overall enjoyed driving once I got the hang of it.
It's just like learning anything new, I think. You have to keep practicing to get better and more comfortable doing it. And while I suppose there may be an autophobia out there, most people are scared of things they don't understand. So hopefully once you get to know how driving works, then you won't be so nervous. o.o
goldenspines

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:22 pm

Driving can be scary (I'm unable to, so I don't have to worry :P), but I guess all you can do is practice :) You know, become one with the car u_u/

Greatest of luck, Bob ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby shooraijin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:32 pm

You can't do any worse than I did -- I ran a stop sign during my driving test.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby ADXC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:40 pm

I can tell you of something that happened during Driver's Ed driving which is somewhat embarrassing.

Ok, I was driving down to this intersection. The light turned yellow and I was RIGHT there(I was going at a moderate speed). I slamed the brakes so hard the guy sitting behind me(He had already driven for the day) almost became one with the carpet of the floor of the Driver's Ed car I was driving. XD Of course the teacher yelled at me but was quick to forgive and said when you are in that position again to gun it.
ADXC

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:44 am

Nate (post: 1329055) wrote:I didn't get my license until I was like 20.

Of course that's because I was lazy. I had to take the written test three times because I was too lazy to study for it and they asked ridiculously stupid questions.

I love driving though. Sometimes I just go out and drive. For no real reason. Just to drive, y'know? Though not so much ever since gas prices went up.

I know a lot of people love driving... I also have a lot of friends who love racing, and I think they're crazy. I'm gonna be the friend everyone's annoyed by because I'm gonna play it extra safe all the time...

One thing I'm having a problem with is gauging where the sides of the car are in my view. I guess i have a bit of an issue with that parallax thing. I tend to wander too far to the right when I drive because I always feel like I'm too far to the left, maybe in the wrong lane. I'm, of course, not too far left, I'm too far right and the instructor grabbed the wheel from me a number of times where I would have scraped parked cars on the right.

ADXC (post: 1329066) wrote:I can tell you of something that happened during Driver's Ed driving which is somewhat embarrassing.

Ok, I was driving down to this intersection. The light turned yellow and I was RIGHT there(I was going at a moderate speed). I slamed the brakes so hard the guy sitting behind me(He had already driven for the day) almost became one with the carpet of the floor of the Driver's Ed car I was driving. XD Of course the teacher yelled at me but was quick to forgive and said when you are in that position again to gun it.

Wow. Yeah, that's a bit embarrassing. The Yellow lights freak me out, too. The law about it is to stop unless you wouldn't be able to stop in time... Thing is, I don't have a feel for if I'd be able to stop in time most of the time... I stopped at every yellow light I saw, but didn't see any that close to my reaching the intersection.

shooraijin (post: 1329063) wrote:You can't do any worse than I did -- I ran a stop sign during my driving test.

Every time I came to an intersection that wasn't governed by lights, I kept freaking out, trying to see if there were stop signs, and remembering to keep going through when there are stop signs on the intersecting street but NOT for me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:12 am

Hey Bob, driving can be scary at first. The first time I drove, it scared the beejeebee's out of me. During driver's ed I couldn't drive backwards in a straight line, and failed that on my drive test.

The idea is to take your time, gain experience, and get comfortable with the vehicle. Learn where everything is. Often we mis-understand being scared with respect. If you respect what a vehicle is capable of doing and act appropriately, you are better driver for it. So take your time and practice, practice, practice. I drive 71 passenger school buses for a living and have been doing it for almost 7 combined years. When I first got my license as a driver I never thought I would ever be able to drive something that big, but here I am.

Here in the U.S. when I got my first got my license to drive I was 16, carried my learners permit for three months, tested for my regular and got it, and my only restriction was I was under the age for drinking. When I got my school bus license, I did 8 hours ride time, 16 hours drive time, was third party tested (that means the company had certified testers) and when I passed, they showed me the bus and said "Go get e'm and take them to school". My first week as a solo bus driver was done on icy roads, I learned that week how to get a bus to stop sliding sideways down a road, how to slide past a bus stop (and the parent still put the kid on the bus), and how to calm a bus full of scared kids by showing them you are relaxed and in control, while your arms are shaking as you hold the steering wheel in fear. Haven't quit yet.

So, yeah, you are probably a little scared of what that vehicle can do. But it will be ok. Take your time, learn the vehicle and what it can do, go slow, gain your confidence, and you'll do fine.

(P.S. I was doing 1/3 the posted speed limit that week during the ice storm and every bus driver told similar stories because of how bad the roads were.)

Paul
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby shooraijin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:50 am

Nate (post: 1329055) wrote:I didn't get my license until I was like 20.

One thing I adore about my Civic Si Sedan is that even though it gets 197hp in a relatively light car (it's not monstrous, but it's faster than 90% of what's on the road) is that I routinely get the 30mpg advertised. Yes, it's 30mpg on 91 octane (ugh) but for a performance sedan it's pretty darn good and it's a lot of fun to drive. I suspect the fact it's a naturally aspirated engine has a lot to do with its economy; every turbo I've driven may have had more torque but boy did you pay for it (and I hate turbo lag).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:20 am

Nothing wrong with being scared of something potential dangerous. It's actually a benefit if you use it right.

Teenagers do a lot of stupid things behind the wheel (this comes from an ex-teenager who speaks from experience!) Respect for the inherent risks of driving will help keep you from doing so.

The secret is confidence with caution. Good luck!
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ADXC » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:28 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1329084) wrote:Wow. Yeah, that's a bit embarrassing. The Yellow lights freak me out, too. The law about it is to stop unless you wouldn't be able to stop in time... Thing is, I don't have a feel for if I'd be able to stop in time most of the time... I stopped at every yellow light I saw, but didn't see any that close to my reaching the intersection.

Yeah, but I was learning at the time(Im still learning more and more each day.). And you are too. Here's my advice on yellow lights.

-If you see the light turn yellow a good distance or even a 200 feet away, slow down to a complete stop.

-If you are right at the white line(Where the intersection tells you to stop) and your still moving at a good speed(Maybe like 35 MPH) then gun it.

-If you are at the white line but are at a slow speed, then calmly and smoothly come to a stop.

I don't like gunning it often, but if you don't want to have a wreck and/or give yourself whiplash, you should do it. Im not saying either of these will happen if you plow onto the brakes, but that you'd be better off gunning it.

I also have another question, how are you on your lane changes?
ADXC

Postby Ante Bellum » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:49 pm

Man, I just finished my last lesson today. But I've had to drive a lot too, and I've also had the yellow light incident. Although, and I swear this is how bad it is, the light went from green to red during the time I was in the intersection, it changes in about two seconds every time. But stoplights don't usually do that, it's just a bad one.
We also have roundabouts. Yeah. Those are a pain, especially because they are small and semis have a hard time on them.
Our driving test is only about 20-30 minutes long. It is just a trip around the block, some turns and parking on hills, and parallel/90 degree parking.
But anyways, just because you have a license doesn't mean you have to use it. It's nice to have in case you need it though.
There's a point where caution, while good, can be a little too much. Taking time on country roads has helped me get used to it, and because a lot of the time there is little traffic it could help as well. Then move up to small suburb, small downtown, medium city, etc. There are also special places with specially built vehicles made to practice in different road conditions, the vehicles are fitted with roll bars and padding and the course simulates rain, ice, and others. (If I remember, putting the car in neutral while skidding on ice is better than trying to brake.)
So, good luck with getting your license!
Ante Bellum

Postby That Dude » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:56 pm

I was able to get my first few times of driving at my grandparents farm and they'd let me steer when they went to town. So I've been comfortable with driving since I was kinda young. I didn't get my license until I was 18 though (which for Colorado is kinda old) because I had to be able to pay for my own insurance before I was allowed to drive.

Anyway after a few times it gets pretty easy and even enjoyable.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby heero yuy 95 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:47 pm

One thing I adore about my Civic Si Sedan is that even though it gets 197hp in a relatively light car (it's not monstrous, but it's faster than 90% of what's on the road) is that I routinely get the 30mpg advertised.

Nothing wrong with that, man, making close to 200 horsepower on a naturally aspirated 4-banger is very respectable, and it'll sure as heck blow the doors of my 6-cylinder Mustang. :P

You can't do any worse than I did -- I ran a stop sign during my driving test.

Stick it to the man!
'listen to me, Grel, these constant failures have been causing me to lose face, and if you keep it up i shan't spare yours!" -Khyron the Destroyer

"why throw away your life so recklessly!"
"that's a question you should be asking yourself, megatron."
-transformers the movie

http://starfoxman.deviantart.com/

^ My Manga!!! Check it out!
heero yuy 95

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 am

Oh, I think your Mustang would probably win in a straight line because you have more torque on the low end, though I do wager I'd win on the skidpad -- the handling is excellent. Still, the V6 Mustangs are good, solid cars, and a steal pricewise compared to the V8s. Is it the 3.8 or the 4.0?

For NA engines, though, the clear beast is the Honda S2000. For "only" 2.0 liters, the VTEC is tuned to crank out over 240hp. That is unbelievable for an engine of that displacement.

shooraijin

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:17 am

In my experience at least, I played it really safe the first couple years, then I became kind of insane. Not like openly reckless, but... I know where my and my car's limits are. In either case, I'm a lot like Nate. I just like to drive. But it is scary at first. Just don't let that hold you back.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Kkun » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:01 am

I'm with Etoh and Nate. I adore driving. You'll learn to love it, more than likely. One of the worst feelings in the world now is when I CAN'T drive due to car repairs or something like that.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby SnoringFrog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:12 am

I know the feeling, I still don't like cars at all, but I'm going to have to get my license soon, my parents aren't giving me much of a choice lol. Most of the fear tends to subside when I'm actually in there driving though, which is nice.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby ADXC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:17 am

@ SnoringFrog-It is scary at first, but you'll grow to love it. It is important that one learns how to drive so that he can get around without having to rely on others.
ADXC

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:44 pm

ADXC (post: 1329128) wrote:I also have another question, how are you on your lane changes?

My lane changes are ok, but they're another thing that freaks me out... Mirror, blindspot, then make sure that when I looked at those things I was actually looking not just focusing on the fact I had to look. That's a huge thing for me. I'll sometimes perform the action without actually paying attention to WHY I'm performing it.

I actually started to lane change a couple times without paying attention and the driving instructor stopped me. This wasn't on the freeway, though. Lane changes on the freeway were really hard for me, because I had to remember not to slow down (I don't know why my instinct is to slow down when I'm doing it)

My last lesson is the 5th, and then my family is going to Nevada for a little while. I'm going to drive part of the way to Nevada with my parents. When we get back, I'll have my test on the 12th

I hope I pass it the first time, because it's gonna be a REALLY narrow window to when I go to Korea, and I'd prefer to not have to have to get my permit again.
Bobtheduck

Postby Bobtheduck » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:40 am

My license test is in under 10 hours.

I'm not nervous at all...

Seatbelt
mirrors
Ignition
brake
shift reverse
HOLY CRAP WHERE DID THAT PEDESTRIAN COME FROM!?
Bobtheduck

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:11 am

Haha. It took me four tries to get my license. The first three times I didn't practice at all. First time I failed on the parallel parking. Second time I did a stupid mistake. Third time was parallel parking.

Then I practiced with my brother-in-law.

Fourth time was a perfect score. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:44 am

I failed the first time I took it even though I practiced. I ran out of time of the parallel parking. The second time I passed, but according to the Morgan Freeman-sounding guy inside, just barely, XD.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Next

Return to General