New Fullmetal Alchemist anime tv series to premiere in April

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat May 09, 2009 7:13 am

Over the past few episodes of FMA2, I've been consistently impressed with how closely they're sticking to the manga. I guess I should get over it by now, but I just find it so cool to see these characters doing and saying the things that I've read over and over and practically memorized. Yet they manage to add new things that highlight the story - like the brief flashback of when Nina's parents were fighting, or the sound of all the bits of Ed's arm clattering to the ground, or the sun coming out when Al says, "But we're alive."

I'm getting eager for the story to progress to Dublith (which was where the first anime really started to veer off), and judging from how quickly they're going through the story, that will be coming up wonderfully soon.

As for the first anime, I think I like the way it was drawn more than I like the new one. I also think the emotions came out better in the first one. They lingered on the emotional, especially the brotherly, scenes more than this anime. I also think Oshima-san's music did a lot for making the first anime so emotional. I MISS BRATYA!!!! :waah!:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby blkmage » Mon May 11, 2009 8:14 pm

I think Winry is the first new voice that's bugged me. Looking up the seiyuu, it's not hard to see why. She doesn't seem to have too many roles under her belt yet, and the only one I recognize is of her is of a super-minor character in Negima!?.

I've gotten used to everyone else so far.
blkmage

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu May 14, 2009 11:44 pm

Yeah, Winry's voice was kind of a surprise. A bit too high-pitched for me. But I got used to it by the end of the episode.... She'll probably be fine.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Anime_Guy_4ever » Fri May 15, 2009 12:27 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1310351) wrote:
As for the first anime, I think I like the way it was drawn more than I like the new one. I also think the emotions came out better in the first one. They lingered on the emotional, especially the brotherly, scenes more than this anime. I also think Oshima-san's music did a lot for making the first anime so emotional.

I agree with wolfs howl here about the emotions from the original series... To me the original captured these moments and feelings more masterfully than almost any other series I have seen to date, which was something that I really enjoyed with the original FMA series.

Perhaps this is partly due to the pace of the story telling, which seems to have increased somewhat considerably in brotherhood, which is positive and negative in some ways I think.

Regardless of what I have witnessed so far, it is of course merely the beginning of the series and thus it probably does not yet warrant too much comparison or scrutiny at this point... So there is still much room to be covered and many more points of comparison to be had. Considering that the original FMA may be one of my favorite series of all time I am very excited, overjoyed, and perhaps even ecstatic that this series is being produced and (I like how this was stated previously, lol), look forward to many thursdays too come :).
Anime_Guy_4ever

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu May 21, 2009 3:50 am

Another thing that reveals the first anime as more emotional than the second is how there are several times in Brotherhood where it's supposed to be a serious moment, with ominous music playing, but the characters are going around in chibi mode. That confusion over whether they're trying to be ominous or funny doesn't really help anything.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Gah. Stupid, stupid me. I still need to watch episode 6. You may stone me if you like.

The subs for this are still much worse than the dub, but FMA is epic enough it doesn't matter the media for it to be awesome.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Sat May 23, 2009 9:10 am

I've been trying to keep up as much as I can. I just watched episode 7 the other day. And as much as some of the story is a repeat of older series, but I like the fact they drop little hints that foreshadows the later evenets of the storyline.
Like:
[spoiler] Mentioning Father, for example. [/spoiler]

Anyways, good stuff, as always. I overall don't mind the Japanese voice acting in this, but I am excited to see how Funi will dub it.
goldenspines

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Sat May 23, 2009 11:57 am

goldenspines (post: 1314139) wrote:I've been trying to keep up as much as I can. I just watched episode 7 the other day. And as much as some of the story is a repeat of older series, but I like the fact they drop little hints that foreshadows the later evenets of the storyline.
Like:

Anyways, good stuff, as always. I overall don't mind the Japanese voice acting in this, but I am excited to see how Funi will dub it.

I don't mind the VA either and am also wondering how it will be dubbed. I've been re-reading the manga recently and am pleasantly surprised by exactly how closely they are following the manga.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby goldenspines » Sat May 23, 2009 1:01 pm

Fantasy Dreamer (post: 1314157) wrote:I don't mind the VA either and am also wondering how it will be dubbed. I've been re-reading the manga recently and am pleasantly surprised by exactly how closely they are following the manga.

I agree. I've been re-reading the manga too and they seem to be following it panel for panel. Which is rather unexpected as you say, but not unwelcome by all means.
With the exception of Vic's voice acting, the manga storytelling is what made me fall in love with FMA in the first place.
goldenspines

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat May 23, 2009 1:26 pm

goldenspines (post: 1314139) wrote:I like the fact they drop little hints that foreshadows the later evenets of the storyline.
Like:
I'm actually not surprised. In the original Manga they mention him as early as the first volume, albeit an afterthought.
Fish and Chips

Postby Lady Kenshin » Mon May 25, 2009 3:47 am

I'm a bit behind... watching episode 5 right now... but Envy's transformation was SOO COOOOOL!!! I mean, it's always been cool, but WOW!!! :dizzy: The alchemical component of the skill is so much more evident with this! :hug: SQUEE!!! That just made my day!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sat May 30, 2009 10:03 pm

Is it just me, or is FMA: Brotherhood not streaming on Funimation's website right now?!

:wow!:

Very much hoping that this is temporary...anyone know anything?

Edit: just found this on ANN...seems I'm not the only one to notice...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-31/fullmetal-alchemist-not-streaming-from-funimation.com
Wyntre Rose

Postby MasterDias » Sun May 31, 2009 11:59 am

It's still being streamed on Hulu and Funimation's Youtube Channel.

This is probably some sort of side-effect of the whole One Piece fiasco yesterday. This seems like an overreaction but I'd imagine it will be back up once they get things sorted out.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Sun May 31, 2009 2:43 pm

Considering they uploaded their videos hours before broadcast and didn't take any steps to protect them, I'd say the quickest way to remedy that at the moment was to take everything down. As they've discovered, throwing videos up with a consistent file naming scheme and hoping no one finds out is not security at all. Quite frankly, it would have taken them all of about five minutes to make it more secure, which is to say secure at all.
blkmage

Postby Lady Kenshin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Just watched episode 8... Envy's "Lucky!" made me happy. His voice is so cute... ^_^ From here on out, I think the first anime/Brotherhood differences become increasingly large. Exciting stuff!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:14 pm

Loved Episode 9!!! It was very emotional. This has always been one of my favorite parts of the story, so it was great to see this version of it. The next episode is going to be sad....

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Lady Kenshin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:58 am

I want to watch episode nine... so I really hope FUNI puts FMA Brotherhood up again soon...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lady Kenshin

Postby blkmage » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:30 am

So, 13 episodes means that there's going to be a new OP (「Hologram」 by NICO Touches the Walls) and ED (「Let it Out」 by Fukuhara Miho). Also, they are advertising the fact that we can begin to expect the manga stuff that TV anime watchers will not have seen before.

http://www.moetron.com/2009/06/28/fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-2nd-season-cm/
blkmage

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:38 am

Thank you SO much for posting that, blkmage!

And oh my gosh you guys, I'm totally geeking out...did anyone else notice Lin's voice?! Pretty sure it's Miyano Mamoru!! (Light from Death Note, Tamaki from Ouran, Kiba from Wolf's Rain and Kamui from Tsubasa, just to name a few!) SQUEE! One of my favorite seiyuu is voicing the character I've been so excited to see animated!! Just when I thought Lin couldn't get any more epic... Sheesh, I'm a dork, but I am totally blown away.

/fangirling...lol.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:23 am

Is that some Scar vs. Comanche I see tucked away in the teaser?

My day had been made.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:04 am

Episode 14:
[spoiler]Father shows up and King Bradley is showing up and being all awesome.[/spoiler]

Next episode preview:
[spoiler]Those guys from Fake China showing up reminds me that eventually, we will be at Briggs. PRETTY AWESOME.[/spoiler]
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:27 am

Episode 14:

[spoiler] I had hopes that things were starting to slow down a bit more in 13 and 14, but then we end up with only two episodes of Greed? *sadface*
I mean, he'll be back, but still. >_>; [/spoiler]

About episode 15 preview:

[spoiler] Seeing May and Lin in animation makes me happy.
And Blckmage, from the beginning of the series I had my heart set on the fact that we were going to eventually end up at Briggs. It's one of the few reasons I will watch to the end(besides the series being awesome anyways) :D [/spoiler]

By the way, Blckmage, the video in your previous link was no longer available when I got to it. :\
goldenspines

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:30 pm

I can't wait for the next episode and the new voices it will bring! [spoiler]I think Selim's voice is good, though obviously it depends a lot on how the big revelation scene is delivered. Father was a little surprising - isn't that the guy who talks about Equivalent Trade at the beginning of episodes? - but it might be good. I wonder if Hohenheim will have the same voice....[/spoiler]

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:39 am

Dear friends, I have a gift for you:

鋼の錬金術師 OP2:「ホログラム」(NICO Touches the Walls)

キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:39 pm

You are a good man, Blkmage. Thank you very much! ^__^
goldenspines

Postby Lady Kenshin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:56 am

I'm behind... just watched episode 10... T_T

Thank you blkmage!

EDIT: I'm up to date now...

[spoiler]Father is creepier than Dante could ever be. He doesn't seem human...[/spoiler]

Also, it's interesting how they're starting to tell you what's going on in the military WAY earlier than they did before. I like it.

Looking forward to the next episode for sure!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lady Kenshin

Postby blkmage » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 am

Haven't watched it to verify it myself, but I've been hearing that this episode did not mark a slowdown in terms of pacing. This is pretty troubling, because the assumption was always that the speed of the series was only to go through things that we were already familiar with. In fact, it appears that there's some reordering of events from later chapters and the dialogue and events are cut down to the essentials. It seems that the goal really is to try and fit the entire thing into 52 episodes.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:39 pm

For the seemingly few of us that are still keeping up with the series...Episode 15:

[spoiler] This is probably my favorite episode so far, there were so many great parts in it.
May and her panda making their entrance. Every time the panda made a cute little noise, I laughed. XDD
I had forgotten about the part with Riza and Barry the Chopper. That was brilliant to see.
And Lin(g) is exactly how he should be, I think.

All in all, things look like they are slowing down quite a bit from when the series first started.

Oh, and I'd just like to point out that there was a small flash of Briggs (or just the North, but it looked like Briggs XD) in this episode. XD;

Next episode looks like it will be sad all over again. 8( [/spoiler]
goldenspines

Postby MasterDias » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:55 pm

It is slowing down a bit, but it's still moving at a fairly brisk pace I think, although the pacing feels much more natural than a few of the previous episodes. I am inclined to wonder if blkmage is correct however, and they do have a certain amount of episodes in mind, despite claims to the contrary.

Anyway, I did enjoy the Xing characters introduction. Also, am I the only one sort of surprised at the amount of violence they are getting away with despite the timeslot it airs in? In episode 14, that one guy was clearly cut in half...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Sanji07 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:42 pm

rocklobster (post: 1274379) wrote:Aww man, you beat me to it.
Think this might wind up on Adult Swim like the last one?

I hope so. I can't wait to see Roy and Hughes again. X3
[color="SeaGreen"]@)}[/color][color="black"]~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature
Servant of: Hypersocks-the leader of extrolling hyperness! ^-^
I believe in Jesus Christ, my Savior. If you do too and are not scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
Sanji07

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews