JSDF's New Secret Weapon Unveiled!

Talk about anything in here.

JSDF's New Secret Weapon Unveiled!

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 am

Life-size Gundam completed in Tokyo.

In the immortal words of Will Smith, "I gotta get me one of THESE!"
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:35 am

When I first heard about this thing, I expected it to be functional, like being able to walk around and stuff. Now that I hear it's just a statue, it seems a lot less awesome. Still, it's the thought that counts.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:51 am

I think it's awesome even if it can't walk. It's the first 1:1 scale statue of a Gundam, and there's something to be said for that!
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Kaligraphic » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:56 am

It's a GUNDAM golem!
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Ship it to South Korea and maybe North Korea will stop there crap! :lol:

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby Debitt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:58 pm

Davidizer13 (post: 1327929) wrote:When I first heard about this thing, I expected it to be functional, like being able to walk around and stuff. Now that I hear it's just a statue, it seems a lot less awesome. Still, it's the thought that counts.

....you really expected it to be fully functional? O_o;

But hey, it lights up and shoots steam like a boss, that's still pretty impressive.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:08 pm

I thought it was done a few weeks ago, but I see they still had more bells and whistles to put on it.

There was no way that they could have made this thing fully functional, with the time that they had. What I want to see after August 31, is how they will make it a part.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:13 pm

I thought the lifesize gundam was kind of old... OR was the last one more like 1:2 scale or something?

As for the functioning part, it's wet blanket time: While they could make a walking model, perhaps, a fully functioning Giant Mecha will never see the light of day. Not because it's impossible, necessarily, but because it would never be efficient.

The lampshade hanging technology expert Sigint in Metal Gear Solid explains why something like a Metal Gear (or a Gundam or a Valkyrie) would be pointless in real life. Every advancement that would make a giant walking robot possible would be much better applied to the types of vehicles we currently have (jets and tanks, namely) The walking aspect would be, in every respect, a weakness of the design, at least on something very large (small mech suits like the army had been developing are much more realistic and offer more advantages and fewer disadvantages)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1328075) wrote:I thought the lifesize gundam was kind of old... OR was the last one more like 1:2 scale or something?

As for the functioning part, it's wet blanket time: While they could make a walking model, perhaps, a fully functioning Giant Mecha will never see the light of day. Not because it's impossible, necessarily, but because it would never be efficient.

The lampshade hanging technology expert Sigint in Metal Gear Solid explains why something like a Metal Gear (or a Gundam or a Valkyrie) would be pointless in real life. Every advancement that would make a giant walking robot possible would be much better applied to the types of vehicles we currently have (jets and tanks, namely) The walking aspect would be, in every respect, a weakness of the design, at least on something very large (small mech suits like the army had been developing are much more realistic and offer more advantages and fewer disadvantages)

This is only true until they find the secret to weaponizing sheer awesome. Then giant robots will rule the battlefield!

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Debitt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:44 pm

:B Thanks for saying what I was too dim to point out, Bob. You are a most excellent wet blanket.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Bobtheduck wrote:I thought the lifesize gundam was kind of old... OR was the last one more like 1:2 scale or something?

The one that you are thinking of was not to scale like this one and I believe it laid on the ground and wasn't standing up.

There was no way that they could have made this thing fully functional, with the time that they had.

I should have been a little more clear as fully functional. I mostly meant for it to move its arms and maybe the legs could left up.

But to make this thing walk, not going to happen. It would be too much of a waste to try and build one of these things as a moving walking killing Giant Mecha.

First you would have to have a lot of money to just build a fully functional model. Then you have to find a power source big enough to power the thing.

Even if a country did build one, its going to have more disadvantages then advantages with one.

Lets not forgot that the Empire had walkers and those little fur balls took them down.

Roy Mustang

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:34 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1328150) wrote:Lets not forgot that the Empire had walkers and those little fur balls took them down.

Yes, but this was only due to a classic mistake on the part of Imperial armament designers. While they had successfully harnessed the mighty power of awesome, they made the critical error of failing to install a defense against the incredible power of cuteness. This is the same difficult to counteract phenomenon generally harnessed by magical girls and care bears, and often overlooked by the less thorough of military planners.

The trick is to make sure you have at least one or two heavily moe female pilots in each of your mecha squads to act as a balancing force.

EricTheFred

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:50 am

Roy Mustang (post: 1328150) wrote:The one that you are thinking of was not to scale like this one and I believe it laid on the ground and wasn't standing up.

Also, I think that was Zeta Gundam and not Gundam.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:53 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1328174) wrote:Yes, but this was only due to a classic mistake on the part of Imperial armament designers. While they had successfully harnessed the mighty power of awesome, they made the critical error of failing to install a defense against the incredible power of cuteness. This is the same difficult to counteract phenomenon generally harnessed by magical girls and care bears, and often overlooked by the less thorough of military planners.

The trick is to make sure you have at least one or two heavily moe female pilots in each of your mecha squads to act as a balancing force.

...or an ready-to-merchandise mascot animal. Can't forget those.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Return to General