Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Dr.Faust » Fri May 29, 2009 5:09 pm

I...I need to...to get one piece season 1 for cheap... whaere..do I find...pwese help me.

OK enought of that(LOL) Boy's Be is kinda like Love Hinea but with more romanc.
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby Roz » Sun May 31, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm trying to find out about the objectionable content in the anime The Third: Girl with the Blue Eye. I tried searching it here several different ways but I can't find it (which probably means I'm doing it wrong. Sorry :(). I saw an age rating of 15 in one place and I'm wondering what that's for. If anybody can help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Roz

Postby RandomBurrito » Sun May 31, 2009 8:51 pm

Dr.Faust (post: 1315501) wrote:I...I need to...to get one piece season 1 for cheap... whaere..do I find...pwese help me.

OK enought of that(LOL) Boy's Be is kinda like Love Hinea but with more romanc.

Hmmmmm.... never seen that one either but thanks! I'm gonna try to look into it.
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:15 am

Ummm, I've kind of been in a fantasy mood lately, and I can't decide what to watch. If Tsubasa had a lot more action and less...slowness,it would probably embody what I would want to watch.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby F.M Disciple » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:08 pm

some good recommendations for anime are

Cowboy Bebop
Fullmetal Alchemist
Beck.

For romantic comedy, at least i think it's a romantic comedy
Ouran high school host club.

For a good futuristic drama genre
Ghost in the shell

Samurai Champloo has excellent action and fluidity scenes. not the greatest anime but worth the look.
"Its very possible that I could give everything and obtain nothing, But still I have to try."
-Edward Elric.

"If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
-William Wilberforce.
F.M Disciple

Postby GeneD » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:35 am

Tokyo Godfathers. Anyone seen it and can you recommend it. I've read the review but I'd like some additional opinions. Especially concerning the homosexual content. Thanks.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:37 am

What is Beck about?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Maokun » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:25 am

GeneD (post: 1317193) wrote:Tokyo Godfathers. Anyone seen it and can you recommend it. I've read the review but I'd like some additional opinions. Especially concerning the homosexual content. Thanks.

It is highly reccommendable at least in my humble opinion. It is a very human drama masterfully directed and animated. The homosexual content boils down to one of the main characters being a transgender woman. I'm aware that this is a huge warning post for many, but truly, we're not called to judge from a high, holy point but rather to love those who for one or other reason are mislead and this is a good way to be reminded that most sinners are not malevously and satanicly evil God-haters, goodness-abhoring half demons as it's quite easy to think when we look at them to the opaque glass of religion]What is Beck about?[/quote]

Read the first post of this page :P To expand a bit that synapsis: It is a slice-of-life series, meaning that the drama and conflict come from everyday happenings in the life of the characters. So it's mainly about the struggling of a young rock band trying to find its place in the world, getting along with the other members, etc, all along while being young and facing all the related issues (falling in love, finding your identity, etc.)
Maokun

Postby CelebixUxie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:29 pm

I highly recommend the series "Chi's Sweet Home". Most of the episodes are available online, considering there is no dubbing of the series, to my knowledge. It's quite a funny Anime fit for all ages[something in my mind twitches at this statement, however], and all of the episodes are around 3 minutes long. Yes, I said three minutes.

But, alas, I am catching up to the newer episodes and need something similar to pass the time that I'll be waiting. Does anyone know of another series similar to Chi? If you haven't watched Chi before, then I will blankly say what I'm looking for:
~Good comedies
~Short episode Anime
~or ones about cats

X3 Any recomendations would be appreciated. :3 Greatly.
"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
~Psalm 119: 105
The first Bible verse I memorized and remember automatically. :3
[SIGPIC]Made by myself in free-time[/SIGPIC]
Watch my Stop-Motion YouTube video Super Sheep Sermon... You know you want to...
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
I haven't been here for too long, but I thank them anyway. ;)
CelebixUxie

Postby Sheol777 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1317240) wrote:What is Beck about?

I cannot say enough about Beck. To call it 'slice of life' would do it a disservice because that genre get a bad rep.
It is about a boy in Japan that has a passing interest in starting a band, but knows no way to begin. So he kind of drifts into a boy from america that has the talent and backgroud to start a band.

Most of all Beck is about the well developed characters and their real lives together. I usually don't like this type of thing. This is the exception to the rule. It is very dynamic and enjoyable.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Lilac#18 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Any good shojo/shonen anime? It's for my niece who is 10 yrs old.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

Lilac#18

Postby Makachop^^128 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Sheol777 (post: 1311057) wrote:Beck is fantastic. Its about a struggling band trying to make a name for themselves in Japan with great characters and animation. No 'bad religion' there are some mild suggestive scenes and some language...but not a buch. Unfortunately most of this is in the first episode or two.

I loved beck
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Makachop^^128 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:39 pm

I really liked Tengen toppa gurren lagann and soul eater.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

Makachop^^128

Postby EricTheFred » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:20 pm

Lilac#18 (post: 1321292) wrote:Any good shojo/shonen anime? It's for my niece who is 10 yrs old.

I'll throw in a bunch of old standards first. Has she seen any of these yet?

Sailor Moon
Cardcaptor Sakura
Angelic Layer
Magic Knight Rayearth
Petite Princess Yucie

The only thing objectionable to these is if you have an objection to magic in anime in general. (I guess Angelic Layer is no problem on this point)

And I don't know if it's an 'old standard' yet, but Kodocha (aka Kodomo no Omocha) is fun stuff for most ages.

For more current suggestions, I'll defer to others.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Netbug009 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1316477) wrote:Ummm, I've kind of been in a fantasy mood lately, and I can't decide what to watch. If Tsubasa had a lot more action and less...slowness,it would probably embody what I would want to watch.

If you like CLAMP's style but want more action, there's Angelic Layer, which is more of a battle game anime. You sacrifice some depth, though.

Lilac#18 (post: 1321292) wrote:Any good shojo/shonen anime? It's for my niece who is 10 yrs old.

Will I be killed for suggesting Pokemon? xD;;; Yeah, it scared a lot of people off with the hype, but I watch Diamond and Pearl almost every morning and it's pretty fun.

Tokyo Mew Mew may be a good one for Shojo interest too for a young girl, but I dunno if it ever got DVDs, much less not 4kids ones (ugh)

Anyways, my question: Anybody have recs for anime movies that are NOT anime-series based or Studio Ghibli? I wanna go out of norm's way a bit. Oh, and if Grave of the Fireflies isn't Ghibli (people keep confusing me on that), I've already seen it twice.
Icon credit to dried_frog_icons on livejournal.
Netbug009

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:39 am

Netbug009 (post: 1321443) wrote:Anyways, my question: Anybody have recs for anime movies that are NOT anime-series based or Studio Ghibli? I wanna go out of norm's way a bit. Oh, and if Grave of the Fireflies isn't Ghibli (people keep confusing me on that), I've already seen it twice.

I would definitely suggest all of Hao Miyazaki's films ^__^

[SIZE="1"](Nuff said :P) [/SIZE]
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Netbug009 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1321457) wrote:I would definitely suggest all of Hao Miyazaki's films ^__^

....That's Studio Ghibli, but thank you.
Icon credit to dried_frog_icons on livejournal.
Netbug009

Postby blkmage » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:10 pm

What kinds of movies are you looking for exactly?

For general goodness, there's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. For sadness and beautiful art and animation, there's Makoto Shinkai's films, 5 Centimeters per Second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. For confusing narrative, awesome action, and beautiful animation, there's the Kara no Kyoukai movies.

Things which I can't recommend since I haven't watched them yet, but have heard good things about and plan to watch in the near future include The Sky Crawlers (for aviation and social commentary) and Sword of the Stranger (for stunning samurai action).
blkmage

Postby Lilac#18 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:30 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1321303) wrote:I'll throw in a bunch of old standards first. Has she seen any of these yet?

Sailor Moon
Cardcaptor Sakura
Angelic Layer
Magic Knight Rayearth
Petite Princess Yucie

The only thing objectionable to these is if you have an objection to magic in anime in general. (I guess Angelic Layer is no problem on this point)

And I don't know if it's an 'old standard' yet, but Kodocha (aka Kodomo no Omocha) is fun stuff for most ages.

For more current suggestions, I'll defer to others.

She's seen a few episodes of Sailor Moon a few yrs ago, but she hasn't seen the rest of those animes. Thanks for the suggestions. :)
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

Lilac#18

Postby Maokun » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:32 pm

All of Blckmage's suggestions are awesome and highly recommended. I'll add some of my own: Akira and Ghost in The Shell, the classic sci-fi anime movies, just in case you haven't seent them yet. GitS2: innocence is superb as well.

Metropolis, a movie based in genius creator Ozamu Tezuka's manga version of the old Fritz Lang's futuristic film is quite good as well. Perfect Blue, Millenium Actresss and Tokyo Godfathers by Satoshi Kon are amazing (maybe here I should insert a warning that most of these movies are aimed at older audiences, so they do have some "mature" themes and content, though always, artfully used and part of the story development, not just gratuitous fanservice). I've heard praise for Kon's Paprika, but I haven't seen it myself. "Memories" a collection of three shorts by Katsuhiro Otomo of Akira's fame with the aid of several other big names in the anime industry is a great watch too. Steamboy by Otomo-sensei has earned tons of awards and praise but I've failed to watch it yet.

That should suffice for now, happy watching!
Maokun

Postby impact777 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:54 am

Hey guys! :)
I love movies like 5 centimeters per second, voices of a distant star, the place promised in our early days and the girl who leapt through time. Do you know any other animes like them?

And do you know Kara no Kyoukai? Would you recommend his animes?
impact777

Postby blkmage » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:11 pm

The closest thing I can think of with a similar art style and theme with Makoto Shinkai movies would be ef - a tale of memories and its second season, ef - a tale of melodies. Moving slightly further away, I'd be able to also suggest CLANNAD and CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~.

Kara no Kyoukai is a fantastic series of films that's based on a novel of the same name and is produced by ufotable. It's written by Kinoku Nasu, who is responsible for things like Tsukihime and Fate/stay night. If you like that sort of fantasy, then it's great. Otherwise, the story can get a bit confusing, especially in KnK where the story jumps around to different points in the plot a lot. However, the animation, art, fight choreography and music (composed by Yuki Kajiura) are all fantastic.
blkmage

Postby impact777 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:16 am

Thanks. :)
I watched some videos from ef at youtube. It seems to be very nice. I've just a last question: A church appears often in these videos. Is christianity shown in a good light or is there a bit of "bad religion" in it?
impact777

Postby RandomBurrito » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:10 pm

Oh .. I have more. (I hope I'm not annyoing >.> )

I was wondering about Vandread and another one called Voogie's Angels (I think I spelled that correctly O.O). Any good or no?

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
RandomBurrito

Postby Maokun » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:50 pm

I'd advice against them. Both are fanservice crapfests with few substance. Not so much tremendously offensive as a waste of time.
Maokun

Postby RandomBurrito » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:50 pm

Oh ok .. I remember seeing like the first part of Voogie's Angels (I remembered one kinda fanservice part, but wasn't too much) but I didn't know how the rest of the series was. Thanks.

RandomBurrito

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:57 pm

Alright, I have absolutely NO idea what to watch, so I come here to ask you all. I'll also post series I've read/watched and whether I liked them or not.
Fullmetal Alchemist(both versions)(favorite)
Rurouni Kenshin(liked)
Cowboy Bebop(liked)
Code Geass(liked)
Ouran High School Host Club(liked)
Naruto(liked)
Bleach(liked)
Death Note(liked)
Tsubasa(I liked the first sixish episodes, but then it got pretty bad)
Fruits Basket(I read the first three chapters, and it's neither one nor the other. Does it develop a point?)
D.N.Angel(liked)
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:02 am

Okay, Hat, I combined all your preferences together, ran them through the computer, and came up with...

Pokemon!

Just kidding. Actually, that's a pretty wide range. I do see some common threads, though. Fantasy is a plus, and I suspect fighting is a plus, since most of these involve important characters who are fighters. (Even Fruits Basket has high-end martial artists). Characters with either hightly positive or 'unbroken' spirits a plus. Most of these have a good amount of comic relief, but are principally organizational stories with dramatic natures. Giant robots and magical girls, not so much. And, all of these are legally available, so I'll leave off things that are only available to Japanese Speakers and fansub hunters.

Okay, here's a few.
Samurai Champloo definitely belongs on this list.
So does Getbackers.
Full Metal Panic (season one) is a good bet (even if it technically includes giant robots).
You are likely to enjoy Busou Renkin as well.

And one that doesn't involve fighters, but look like fits anyhow:
Oh My Goddess. Lot's of fantasy, lots of positive outlook.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:31 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1325564) wrote:Alright, I have absolutely NO idea what to watch, so I come here to ask you all. I'll also post series I've read/watched and whether I liked them or not.
Fullmetal Alchemist(both versions)(favorite)
Rurouni Kenshin(liked)
Cowboy Bebop(liked)
Code Geass(liked)
Ouran High School Host Club(liked)
Naruto(liked)
Bleach(liked)
Death Note(liked)
Tsubasa(I liked the first sixish episodes, but then it got pretty bad)
Fruits Basket(I read the first three chapters, and it's neither one nor the other. Does it develop a point?)
D.N.Angel(liked)

try Soul eater, for the action and for slice of life azumanga daioh and lucky star.
I would strongly suggest Tengen toppa gurren lagann, but by the other animes u like i don't know if u would like it.

Makachop^^128

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:18 pm

EricTheFred (post: 1325717) wrote:Okay, Hat, I combined all your preferences together, ran them through the computer, and came up with...

Pokemon!

Just kidding. Actually, that's a pretty wide range. I do see some common threads, though. Fantasy is a plus, and I suspect fighting is a plus, since most of these involve important characters who are fighters. (Even Fruits Basket has high-end martial artists). Characters with either hightly positive or 'unbroken' spirits a plus. Most of these have a good amount of comic relief, but are principally organizational stories with dramatic natures. Giant robots and magical girls, not so much. And, all of these are legally available, so I'll leave off things that are only available to Japanese Speakers and fansub hunters.

Okay, here's a few.
Samurai Champloo definitely belongs on this list.
So does Getbackers.
Full Metal Panic (season one) is a good bet (even if it technically includes giant robots).
You are likely to enjoy Busou Renkin as well.

And one that doesn't involve fighters, but look like fits anyhow:
Oh My Goddess. Lot's of fantasy, lots of positive outlook.

Pokemon! Thats it, of course!:P I think you may want a new computer to run these things through.

Thanks a lot for your help! I know since I just finished and loved Cowboy Bebop, I'll watch Samurai Champloo someday, but I've for reasons unknown to even myself I don't want to watch it. FMP was one I wasn't sure whether or not to try it, and the giant robots are fine, if you did notice Code Geass is on there, and is my fourth favorite anime. I am suprised I didn't think of Busou Renkin, since it's by Watsuki. And what genre would you label Oh My Goddess as?

Makachop^^128 (post: 1325750) wrote:try Soul eater, for the action and for slice of life azumanga daioh and lucky star.
I would strongly suggest Tengen toppa gurren lagann, but by the other animes u like i don't know if u would like it.

I was thinking about Gurren Lagann, but I was going to see if the Sci-Fi channel reruns it now that they've finished
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews