Got a call about an English teaching job.

Talk about anything in here.

Got a call about an English teaching job.

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 pm

So I got two letters about English Teaching jobs. One is in Japan, and they require an international Driver's license (I don't even have a CA state driver's license) and a bunch of stuff, most of which requires my passport, which is being corrected right now...

I also got one from a Korean School. It didn't require as much, and they seemed... Very pushy. Like, desperate for me to get over there as soon as possible.

Well I have responded to both of them about my interest, and I got a call today. I looked at what I thought was the area code and didn't recognize it, and answered expecting a wrong number or prank call. I talked to someone who I thought was someone pranking me, but I realized it was the South Korean School. They were DESPERATE for me to come RIGHT AWAY. I don't think he understood I have to wait for my Passport to come back before I can even apply for a Visa. He said "go to a Korean Embassy and apply, you can be here in July"

Thing is he wants 2 sets of my transcripts (I only have 1 and I'll need them for other schools too) and my original Diploma (the scary part) and a document that says I have no crimes on my record... And I have to fedex them as soon as possible.

So.. yeah, this is interesting and exciting, but a bit iffy... I don't want time to make me lose either job, but I don't have everything I need for either one of them yet.

SO... Yup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:26 pm

I'd say wait for everything to be settled with the passport and visa first. In the meantime, do research on the Korean school o_o I understand being excited for someone to take the job, but that sounded a bit over the top >_>; How was his tone?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby RandomBurrito » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Pray about it, for wisdom to do this. It does sound very exciting though, but, you probably don't want to be stuck with any problems.

I hope it all goes well though. God bless!
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby Reon » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Heya Bob, this is a serious dilemma =/ Let me know if there's anything I can do to help bud, I'm sure you can think of something - Already got my prayer
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1317848) wrote:and my original Diploma (the scary part) and a document that says I have no crimes on my record... And I have to fedex them as soon as possible.

O.O Your o r i g i n a l diploma...? That's bizarre. You should be able to get any number of copies that are virtually indistinguishable from the original. Is this a normal request?

If you do decide to go this route, be very careful and thorough in your background check of the company/school in question. My general advice basically goes:

1) Always be suspicious if someone wants something unreasonably fast. It generally means they don't want *you* to realize something.

2) Never send an original of *any* document you value. Especially overseas. Despite what you may here, it's IMPOSSIBLE to guarantee something international unless you are going to courier it (to the tune of a few thousand $$$).

Good luck and God bless!
Mithrandir

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 am

I pretty much second what they say. Definitely pray about it and ask for wisdom and discernment. I'll be praying too! :)
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:22 am

So this is what I just got from them:

1. First, I need your

*. original degree (your original degree will be showed to the immigration office and returned to me) or copied degree(must get a stamp from a Korean consulate <not apostille>) or Degree certificate(must get Apostille)

*. transcript(sealed)(Same college or university with degree)

*. criminal background check(with apostille or get a stamp from a Korean consulate ).

(Canada Government has not joined apostille so Canadian get a stamp from a Korean consulate on the criminal background check. One more thing for Canadian, to get E2 visa, Criminal background check must have 'vulnerable sector screening' - I don't know what 'vulnerable sector screening is.

*. 3 passport size photos (Actually I need one at the moment, however I will need 2 more when you are here.)

*. passport copy.

*. contract, self-medical check ( I attached these two documents. Please fill them. )

- When Those documents arrive to me, I will make an application form for visa and submit those documents to the immigration office.

- In 2 weeks time, I will get your visa number. then I will send it by e-mail.

- You go to the nearest Korean consulate with that number. They will attach your visa onto your passport. (Before visiting there, call them and ask what you have to bring)

- Then, come to Korea.

Now I am sending our contract and self-medical check form. You fill them.

Please send all documents to me by quick mail.

Our address is S.Korea, Gyeong-Gi Do, Yang-Pyeong Gun, Yong-mun Myeon, Da-mun Ri, San 25. Gyeong-Gi English Village administration office Kim Hyun-Jung.

One more information,

As Korean law, every foreign teacher who will stay in Korea for more than 90 days must register their staying to the immigration office. To do that they have to check their health condition.

So, when you come to Korea, you will have to do health condition check in a hospital in 2 weeks time. A doctor will take some blood(5cc) and you will have to give some your urine to check HIV and drug.

So Apparently a copy of the diploma is good, but the original has to be shown to the Korean consulate. And even though both men on the phone told me I needed 2 copies of transcripts, I apparently only need one (?) which will be nice, because I still want to try for the Japanese school (I'd prefer to go to Japan if I could, though the International Driver's License may be a pain to get a hold of)

I have no clue what Apostille is. *shrugs*

So... This is where things stand now. I'm going to wait unti my passport comes back before I do anything else, though. Also, despite what the letter said about filling out the contract, there were no attachments in the email.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Bobtheduck

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:43 am

I dunno, seems sort of suspicious to me. Maybe you should wait and try for Japan, since you'd rather go there anyway.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:58 am

These things tend to be legit (your case may not though)

Lots of schools in Korea desperately look for English Teachers.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby minakichan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:57 am

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1317909) wrote:These things tend to be legit (your case may not though)

Lots of schools in Korea desperately look for English Teachers.

Dang, I want to teach English in Asia.... what are the reqs? Not an English BA, I hope. Cool that you don't have to know the native language, it seems...

It sounded sketchy at first, but maybe it's not that bad. What shady uses could they have for your original diploma?
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 am

Actually I think that some programs require just a Bachelors (in ANYTHING).

Bob, perhaps try asking for their website or something?
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 am

minakichan (post: 1317924) wrote:Dang, I want to teach English in Asia.... what are the reqs? Not an English BA, I hope. Cool that you don't have to know the native language, it seems...

Try this:

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mr. Rogers » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:16 am

I am going to try for the JET program as my first employment opportunity after I finish my degree. I hope I get into that. It's a pretty good deal.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:18 am

My uncle teaches in Japan, I'm not sure if he is still teaching English though. I'd be careful about that Korean school though, if they're asking for all that at such an urgent notice.
Ante Bellum

Postby Kaori » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:02 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1317848) wrote:So I got two letters about English Teaching jobs. One is in Japan, and they require an international Driver's license

That's odd. Where in Japan is it? To my knowledge, most teaching jobs in Japan wouldn't require a driver's license, since there are so many places where public transportation is sufficient and it's not necessary to drive. Is it perhaps somewhere inaka, where there isn't as much public transportation?

Bobtheduck wrote:I also got one from a Korean School. It didn't require as much, and they seemed... Very pushy. Like, desperate for me to get over there as soon as possible.

How much do you know about Korean culture? Have you ever worked with Koreans before? The reason I ask is because I taught at a Korean school (in Japan) for a year and really struggled with culture shock. There are many wonderful things about Koreans and Korean culture, but it was difficult for me to adjust because I knew nothing about Korean culture going in, and ultimately just felt that I did not fit in with the culture at all. So, if you're going to commit to working in Korea, it would be better if you knew beforehand whether you can harmonize with Korean culture.

Other than that, I would just repeat the same advice that others have already said: be cautious with this one. Make sure that everything is completely above board before you sign anything.

I'm currently teaching English at an international school in Japan, so if there are any questions I can help you with, feel free to ask.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:05 am

Bobtheduck (post: 1317870) wrote:I have no clue what Apostille is. *shrugs*

As I understand this, it's basically a way of internationalizing some form of certification - typically birth, death, marriage, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille
Mithrandir

Postby Cap'n Nick » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:59 am

I'm going to teach English in Asia later this year. Today my employer asked me to bring my original diplomas and degrees. I've had a good working relationship with this organization for many years. Maybe this isn't so unusual, after all.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:49 am

Mithrandir (post: 1318965) wrote:As I understand this, it's basically a way of internationalizing some form of certification - typically birth, death, marriage, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille

Looks complicated... Wish I had been able to go with an organization that had recruiters in the US so I wouldn't have to do that.

I also wish I'd gotten my Driver's License when I was 16.
Bobtheduck

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:15 pm

Have you heard anything from Japan as of yet ^^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:23 pm

Tsukuyomi (post: 1319774) wrote:Have you heard anything from Japan as of yet ^^?

I sent in the first part of my stuff to the Japanese school, but said I'd have to wait for my passport for the rest.

I asked how I was supposed to send my letter of recommendation, and haven't gotten a response back.
Bobtheduck

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:37 pm

Well, thanks for the help but I got my apostille quite a while ago. I'm actually about to get my Korean E-2 Visa (going for the interview on Thursday) and will probably be in Korea in a couple weeks. Thanks, though.

I can't believe I was still thinking Japan as late as June. Crazy.
Bobtheduck

Postby RandomBurrito » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:12 pm

That's good. God bless you on your trip! Hope you have a great time! God bless!
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Postby The Banner » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:59 pm

I'll be happier now that I know there will be more Koreans in the world who will have a much better knowledge of English, because I really wish that one day I won't have to deal with the stereotypes of Koreans sucking at English.
The Banner

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1349861) wrote:Well, thanks for the help but I got my apostille quite a while ago. I'm actually about to get my Korean E-2 Visa (going for the interview on Thursday) and will probably be in Korea in a couple weeks. Thanks, though.

I can't believe I was still thinking Japan as late as June. Crazy.

Keep us in the loop as to how things progress when you get there!
Mithrandir

Return to General