Score one for reason: Crunchberry Court Case

Talk about anything in here.

Score one for reason: Crunchberry Court Case

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:58 pm

"The plaintiff, Janine Sugawara, alleged that she had only recently learned to her dismay that said 'berries' were in fact simply brightly-colored cereal balls."

According to the complaint, Sugawara and other consumers were misled not only by the use of the word "berries" in the name, but also by the front of the box, which features the product's namesake, Cap'n Crunch, aggressively "thrusting a spoonful of 'Crunchberries' at the prospective buyer." Plaintiff claimed that this message was reinforced by other marketing representing the product as a "combination of Crunch biscuits and colorful red, purple, teal and green berries." Yet in actuality, the product contained "no berries of any kind." Plaintiff brought claims for fraud, breach of warranty, and our notorious and ever-popular California Unfair Competition Law and Consumer Legal Remedies Act.

The court, Judge Morrison England, Jr., also pointed out that the plaintiff acknowledged in her opposition to the motion to dismiss that "[c]lose inspection [of the box] reveals that Crunchberries . . . are not really berries." Plaintiff did not explain why she could not reasonably have figured this out at any point during the four years she alleged she bought Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries in reliance on defendant's fraud.

I thought this was pretty nice, considering the number of ridiculous court cases we hear about.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Peanut » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:01 pm

It's nice to know that reason one...and yet I can't help but feel my faith in humanity slowly slip away while reading this...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Gelka » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:53 pm

On May 21, a judge of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California dismissed a complaint filed by a woman who said she had purchased "Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries" because she believed "crunchberries" were real fruit.

That's kind of sad. 0.o
Gelka

Postby shade of dae » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:54 pm

I would compare this to the several trivial and stupid court cases I've heard over the years, but there are just too many. I can only say that there are a lot of really stupid people or a lot of really clever (and greedy) people in the world. I'm not sure which.
MAL

What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
-C.S. Lewis
shade of dae

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:57 pm

Dude. That's hilarious. XDD I like the judge's response to her, asking why she hadn't noticed this in the four years she'd bought Cap'n Crunch. XDD Part of me wonders if it's a joke or something--especially since she claimed "the product's namesake, Cap'n Crunch, aggressively 'thrust[s] a spoonful of "Crunchberries" at the prospective buyer.'" That's epic. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:01 pm

About time...

The worst part of idiots like this is when my (former) sister-in-law says she would have sued McDonald's if she'd spilled the coffee in her lap too. Her reasoning "Hot coffee in your lap? That would hurt!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby blkmage » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:35 pm

I think the more pressing question is of the morality of eating sentient creatures like Crunchberries.
blkmage

Postby shooraijin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:45 pm

blkmage (post: 1316799) wrote:I think the more pressing question is of the morality of eating sentient creatures like Crunchberries.

They can talk, you know.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to General