I feel wierd

Talk about anything in here.

I feel wierd

Postby Dante » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:56 pm

Ok, so... despite my other odd threads, this is actually a (semi)-serious topic. I was out today at McDonalds when I saw a fellow sitting in front of the store on the storefront padio (always empty)... I've never seen him ask anyone for anything, but he looked as though he was living out his backpack.

That stated, for some reason or another I was being nagged by God throughout my entire meal... I have 500 excuses for why I don't want to do such things such random things... and much to my insanity he found 501 such reasons to do it... So in other words, I'm starting by saying this whole thing wasn't my idea, I'm still your completely failed human being and nobody better think any other way, kapeesh.

Anyways, I walked to the front and grabbed one of those minascule gift cards they offer (and one that doesn't make their recepient feel like they're being treated like a child... which is hard at McDonalds) then as I felt instructed I walked up to the man and gave him the card and told him that Jesus told me give the card...

At this point is where the interesting part starts... He scared the living c*** out of me.

What makes me feel wierd is that he didn't do anything threatening, he was every bit as kindly as he looked as well... and it wasn't a bad sort of scary either. He asked questions, he challenged me... he did things that "normal" homeless people don't do. (They normally just take what you'll give them and thank you for it after maybe saying a bit about how they got to where they are)

For starters he challenged that Jesus had actually asked me to do this...
(Well it was either Jesus, or I've completely lost it in the head and I'm having an argument with myself... and decided my alter-ego is God of the universe).

Then continued as though he was going to give the card back and asked if I wasn't the individual that needed the card more then him. (Nobody, not even normal people give you a gift back that you're willing to give them no strings attached).

Instantly after that he noted that my jacket has a pair of blue dragons embroidered into the front (my love of anime combined with my favorite warm hoodie). He actually asked me if I was the dragon, and noted the noted to me the symbolism on my Jacket... I wasn't even aware that I was wearing the jacket at the time and never really thought about any biblical symbolism it might have... nor did I attach any to it)...

Needless to say I found myself embarressed and declaring that I was not the dragon, I'm wasn't anything evil, I just wanted to do what Jesus asked me to do... because generally that was a good idea.

"Who says the dragon is evil" He replied.

Well, I've just heard it from some people... but I guess it might depend upon which religion you're in (version of Christianity... various interpetations of the Bible... I don't want to accidently step on anyone elses toes if they have a different version of understanding of scripture then me).

I never found out what he actually believed about this, or what he thought about the possible symbolism on my shirt (if he even believed it was symbolic in the end or not, he could have even believed any which way... he only caused you to question and gave few answers (even his questions were toned just right so that he wasn't actually implying which way he himself felt) ). In fact, I didn't really give him a chance too, I was so spooked I rode off like a crazy man on my bike left contemplating alot. There was just something strange about him, not something bad, but something good... and yet frightening...

I mean, why would I be frightened by something that wasn't evil? Maybe becausehe seemed to have the ability to hold up a mirror and cause me to question who I was (even though the conversation might not look like that from the outside in)... and worse yet, I couldn't logically grab a confident answer like I normally could in front of anybody else. Furthermore, something about the very aura of the individual spooked me as well... but like I said, not in an evil or dark kind of way, but something light. Almost like when you've been found out for doing something wrong, but you're happy you were found out about it... but it still scares you all the same... that kind of feeling...

So. That stated, am I officially qualified for the loony bin... or what. I feel much better now... but I had to eat three donuts and a bag of chips to get that way... I also walked around a lot just thinking about it because something about the experience just has been causing me to think alot... Anyways... yeah... there, that's my post.
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Peanut » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:11 pm

In all honesty Pascal, you did the right thing in giving the guy a gift card. We are called as Christians to take care of the poor and I think at times (and I especially include myself in this seeing as how I make assumptions that individuals begging on the side of the road are going to use whatever money I give them to take drugs even though if they do their sin isn't on my hands at all) we ignore the poor because of our own assumptions about them. If he wasn't homeless/poor, then who cares really. Its still a good gesture and based on how you went about it I would say that even if you were mistaken he still shouldn't of been offended by it.

As for Revelation, well, I don't think I've ever heard of an interpretation where the Dragon is looked as being good...usually he's equated with Satan. Of course, I'm not exactly an expert on Revelation or even an expert on Biblical studies so I could be missing some denomination's interpretation of those passages that I didn't know about.
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ~darkelfgirl~ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Maybe this was an experience from God ... like a mirror to your faith (I think you mentioned that. Was looking for the direct quote but can't find it, hehe).

I have those "is-God-telling-me-to-do-this-or-is-it-just-me" moments, too, like a nagging feeling you can't escape from.

The blue dragon incident is what that has me thinking.

Then again, maybe you left thoughts with him just as he left thoughts with you. You never know.
[color=purple][font=Tahoma][color=royalblue]"But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint."--[/color]Isaiah 40:31
[/font]
[/color]
~darkelfgirl~

Postby Dante » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:22 pm

As for Revelation, well, I don't think I've ever heard of an interpretation where the Dragon is looked as being good...usually he's equated with Satan. Of course, I'm not exactly an expert on Revelation or even an expert on Biblical studies so I could be missing some denomination's interpretation of those passages that I didn't know about.

That's what I thought I've heard too... but as to where I heard it from or what authority I was using, I'm not an expert on Revelational history either... That stated, he posed his questions not as though he was contradicting you or meaning to push for the opposite of your stance, but simply to cause you to analyze your statements as to where you gained your conclusion from, if you know what I mean... its a kind of game almost high academics play from time to time from the Socratic Method Teaching... but it isn't something I'd expect anyone on the street to know... (maybe he was a college professor O_o... but somehow I don't think so... although that would REALLY be wierd).
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby LadyRushia » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:09 pm

Pascal wrote:(maybe he was a college professor O_o... but somehow I don't think so... although that would REALLY be wierd).

You'd be surprised. Many of the homeless people I've talked to have gone through college and gotten degrees. One guy I know of has such an expansive knowledge about Biblical history that he will sit there and tell you about it for hours. Homeless people aren't any dumber than us just because they're on the streets (I'm not saying you think that, but I know a lot of people in general do). And yeah, the guys that I've talked to will challenge you in a loving way like that. It's not really intimidating or condescending, but they do get you to think. I can say that through working with the homeless, I feel that me giving them food pales in comparison to the wisdom and spiritual guidance they have given me.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

You may have just entertained an angel.

Postby Paul » Tue May 12, 2009 8:24 am

Perhaps Pascal, you were intertaining an angel. That was my impression from hearing your story. I have had similar experiences. Not only in helping the homeless, but as a homeless runaway myself. I want to say it's in Hebrews Ch. 13, which tells us to be careful what you do, what you say, and how you act around other people, for you never know when you are entertaining an angel. It is my thought that as you tended to Christ through that individual (Jesus did tell us that when you do it to the least of these my brothern, you have done it unto me), it was you're first opportunity to experience sharing love to an angel. They just challenged your faith, that's all they did. Now's your chance to act on it.

As a runaway, a man gave me a ride and drove me halfway across the state of Orgeon to the Washington State line to Walla Walla Washington. During this ride he knew my name, where I had come from, why I left home, fed me good. And left me in the care of a rescue mission in the hands of man, who would have the very words I needed to go home and do the right thing.

About 6 months ago, I picked up a man who wasn't hitchhiking, and gave him a ride. Apon entering the vehicle and accepting the ride, he knew I was a children's teacher and in his words "and pastor". Knew I lived in Leavenworth and though tried to tell me it wasn't necessary to take him to Kansas City, I refused to drop him off until I delivered him safely to a rescue mission in Kansas City. When wanting to know why I was that willing to help him, I told him about the man who gave me a ride through Orgeon. Then I told him one other thing. I told him I was convinced (and I am) the burly man in the the overalls and the beat up pickup truck who gave me a ride was an angel. I told the man I was helping I believed him to be the same and I was returning the favor.

Take it however you want, but Paul from Kansas firmly believes you just had a unique visitation from an angel of God and in there somewhere, Pascal, God is wanting to change the course of your life. I would seriouly think about it.

This is Paul from Kansas, signing off.
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby EricTheFred » Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 am

Pascal,

What you did was the right thing.

What he did might have been the defensive move of an emotionally challenged person who felt threatened by someone behaving in a way not to his expectations (either paranoid or high-function autistic) or it could well have been any of the explanations you've heard from the previous posters. Frankly, the way the world works in my way of thinking, it could be both. (Come to think of it, one of the smartest people I know is a schizophrenic with a history of homelessness, one time for several years, and I could easily see him doing exactly what you describe. Throughout all of his troubles, he has been a deeply spiritual man.)

Demons, you may recall, are angels fallen. That means their powers to whisper into and lead the human heart are angelic powers, which in turn indicates that angels can, if it be the Lord's will, do the same.

You felt a call. Could be your own guilty conscience (the 'There but for the grace of God go I' feeling) or could be the whisper of an angel.

The gentleman felt a need to challenge you. It might be the work of a demon to challenge you in order to rock your faith, but an angel might challenge you in order for you to understand your own faith. If you've ever read any of the dialogues of Socrates, you will understand this process, the system of teaching through asking challenging questions.

The irony is, if you hold to your faith, the angel and the demon accomplish the same thing in the end. Which is what C.S. Lewis meant when he explained that there is no Evil which God cannot turn into Good.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Paul » Tue May 12, 2009 10:44 am

Eric the Fred, you put that very well sir. Very well.

Paul
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby Doubleshadow » Thu May 14, 2009 1:36 pm

I have to admit, I have a fear of homeless people. I had a run in with a violent one, so they make me skittish. If I were in your situation I would have been trying to bolt through the whole process.

Just as point of reflection, I find we (as humans) have an unconscious habit of limiting how God can go about doing things, making such encounters as yours inexplicable because the ultimate outcome isn't visible. You were right to do what you were to do. Whether or not you'll see the why before you you can ask God face to face is in up in the air.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Return to General