So, next week...

Talk about anything in here.

So, next week...

Postby Nate » Thu May 14, 2009 2:44 am

Six days of work. Sunday night, through Friday night. 12 hours each night. Though only 11.5 of them we get paid for, since we get a half hour lunch break.

That adds up in total to 69 hours of work next week. If you don't count the lunch breaks as work.

Yes, that's my schedule for next week at my job. I've never worked a 70 hours week before. Not even when I was in the Navy. Guess I'll get to experience it firsthand.

That's in addition to the 46 hour work week we had last week, and the 58.5 hour work week we have this week.

I'm very seriously considering quitting...

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu May 14, 2009 4:00 am

Interesting. While most people are expecting cutbacks and severed wages, you're getting more hours!

Maybe this is actually a good thing! Nate, I think you can do it! NEVER GIVE UP! But dang... 70 hours IS a lot... D:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Warrior4Christ » Thu May 14, 2009 4:34 am

70 hours a week is pretty extreme...
And only half an hour break?
Everywhere like such as, and MOES.

"Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God." - William Carey
Warrior4Christ

Location: Carefully place an additional prawn on the barbecue

Postby Peanut » Thu May 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Nate, you'll want to shoot yourself at the end of this...however if they are still paying you the same wage you were getting paid earlier then that pay check is going to be sooo sweet...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ashfire » Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm

Back in the 74 I worked for a military officer's club where we worked six days a week eight hours.
Later they cut out the sixth day and then before I left they cut us back a half an hour a day so we worked seven and a half hours a day.
I worked there six years before I started working where I am now and have 29 years and one year to go to make retirement and plan to move on to another job.
Right now we have to take ten days of forced furloughs for the year and come July will have to take ten more for a year while over 300 employees are layed off
ashfire

Postby Dante » Thu May 14, 2009 6:53 pm

That is ridiculous, that is going to terribly wear you down and on top of it all, whatever project they're desiring to get done will only be done shabbily when it's all said and done. You can't work people like that.

I don't know Nate. You're risking getting sick from the stress/exhaustion, you're going to need a week off just for doing this. Shame on your management, they needz leadership skillz now. :(
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby shooraijin » Thu May 14, 2009 7:00 pm

70 hours? Wuss. Try residency. ;)

Not that I want to go back, mind you. I think my wage as a resident was something less than actual minimum wage if you divided salary by hours on duty. Are they at least paying you overtime?
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Doubleshadow » Thu May 14, 2009 7:08 pm

Nate (post: 1311661) wrote:Six days of work. Sunday night, through Friday night. 12 hours each night. Though only 11.5 of them we get paid for, since we get a half hour lunch break.

That adds up in total to 69 hours of work next week. If you don't count the lunch breaks as work.

Yes, that's my schedule for next week at my job. I've never worked a 70 hours week before. Not even when I was in the Navy. Guess I'll get to experience it firsthand.

That's in addition to the 46 hour work week we had last week, and the 58.5 hour work week we have this week.

I'm very seriously considering quitting...

Dang, you could be anyone of my relatives. That just sounds normal to me. Maybe it's just common to work like a dog in WV? People do that and STILL get laid off, even in the bubble economy we had going.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby ADXC » Thu May 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Wow, 70 hours. I can't even imagine how tired you're going to be after this week.
ADXC

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu May 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Wow, that's a ridiculous amount of hours! Still, I'd really suggest you stick with it--quitting now, unless you have another job under your belt, is really not a good idea at all, what with the economy and lack of jobs as it is. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers this week, though! D:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Nate » Fri May 15, 2009 3:57 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Interesting. While most people are expecting cutbacks and severed wages, you're getting more hours!

Maybe this is actually a good thing! Nate, I think you can do it! NEVER GIVE UP! But dang... 70 hours IS a lot... D:

That's almost like saying "You got bitten by a venomous spider that's never been discovered before! Since we have no antivenom, you're going to die, but this is a good thing for science! You should consider yourself lucky!"

Money is nice but there are some things better than money. Like...sleep, for example. Or not feeling like your feet have been stuck in a vice. Or talking to people. You know how long it's been since I've talked to ANYONE on IM? Nobody's up at 5 in the morning. Forums are nice but there's something about real-time conversation that makes it more satisfying. It's like comparing letter writing to talking to someone face-to-face. In other words, I have had literally ZERO contact with friends.

Wow, that's so awesome!
W4C wrote:And only half an hour break?

Well we also get a couple of 15 minute breaks. But since it takes five minutes to walk to the break room it ends up being more like a five minute break.
shooby wrote:Are they at least paying you overtime?

Yeah. That's the only semi-reassuring thing about that. So I'll be getting 16 hours of overtime or so this week. Of course, as I said before, some things are worth more than money...not being stressed the heck out by working so much being one of them.
Pascal wrote:whatever project they're desiring to get done will only be done shabbily when it's all said and done.

That's the thing--there ISN'T any special project. We're just shipping out a load of merchandise. During a normal, forty hour week, we normally ship about...700,000 items. That's a rough estimate, sometimes it's less, but rarely is it more. This past week, we shipped out about 800,000 items. This is what caused this week to be 56 hours or so.

Next week, we will be shipping over one million items. This is the reason for the six hour workweek at 12 hours a day. Why are we shipping out over a million items? Who knows! There's no holidays coming up, and no real reason for it.
Corrie wrote:I'd really suggest you stick with it--quitting now, unless you have another job under your belt, is really not a good idea at all, what with the economy and lack of jobs as it is. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers this week, though! D:

But I don't want to do this job for the rest of my life. I want to go back to college, and there's a time limit on the GI Bill benefits. And I'll have to quit anyway when I go back to school, since there aren't any colleges here--and I'm not going to commute over an hour to get to a job, especially a night job.

The prayers are appreciated though.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby That Dude » Fri May 15, 2009 10:19 am

Ah it sounds like what my summer is going to be like. I'm pretty sure that I'll be working 60+ every week this summer. We're understaffed at camp, so I'll be doing some head cooking and running the media department...So basically I'll be doing three peoples jobs. Plus I'll be doing a few other things like hosting a small group at my place. It's going to be good but I'm definitely going to have to learn to rely on Jesus a whole lot more than I'm doing now.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 15, 2009 11:05 am

Nate (post: 1312136) wrote:You know how long it's been since I've talked to ANYONE on IM? Nobody's up at 5 in the morning.
Wrong. I am frequently up at five in the morning. [SIZE="1"]Your time, anyway.[/SIZE] Though if Nate only cared about talking to me, we'd have an entirely different problem on our hands.

I'm tempted to save preserver and survive it through gritted teeth, but I'm too familiar with draining exhaustion myself (be it just one occasion) to assume you'd just happily comply. I'd suggest at least working a couple of these monstrous shifts to shore up some cash for the near future though, if you are serious about quitting.
Fish and Chips

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Fri May 15, 2009 11:14 am

That's a lot of hours...

but...

HELLOOO CASH FLOWWW.

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri May 15, 2009 3:20 pm

well if you're planning on going back to College, I'd say just work until the end of summer and enroll 8D. Then find a part time job and go to class and stuff. That Gi-Bill isn't limitless, so it might be a good idea to take advantage...

69 hours does suck though, I can't even imagine! that'sre almost half an entire week!
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby ShiroiHikari » Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Can you save some of the huge piles of cash you'll be making for college? Might help out some.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Tarnish » Fri May 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Heh, that was the amount of hours my mom was working before she realized it was absolutely ridiculous and quit.

Oh, I mean...DONT YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU HAVE MONEY STARVING KIDS IN CHINA AND STUFF.
Tarnish

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Fri May 15, 2009 7:38 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1312113) wrote:Wow, that's a ridiculous amount of hours! Still, I'd really suggest you stick with it--quitting now, unless you have another job under your belt, is really not a good idea at all, what with the economy and lack of jobs as it is. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers this week, though! D:

Agreed! That is a crazy amount of hours, and I'm sure you'll be very tired. I'll definitely be praying for you.
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby ashfire » Sat May 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Interesting thing. I went by the place where I worked those many years ago.
The building is gone. The pool part of the club is still there but the building was torn down and grass now covers the spot but the parking lot is still there.
Only reason I was there was because of Armed Forces Day on the base and I had to work a volunteer fire service recruitment booth during the show.
I forgot to mention my job I have now at times during snow or ice emergencies I have to work 12 hour shifts during the day or night depending when the emergency is called.
I have worked a week and a half stright during some storms.
ashfire

Postby minakichan » Sat May 16, 2009 8:35 pm

I worked 75 hours for one week of my internship. It was hellish =(

Studies show that overworking produces net less output than normal work hours, so your company is retarded.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Peanut » Sat May 16, 2009 8:42 pm

minakichan (post: 1312481) wrote:Studies show that overworking produces net less output than normal work hours, so your company is retarded.

Then is it safe to say that they get what they deserve?
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Return to General