Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Maokun » Fri May 08, 2009 11:39 pm

S.M.O.G. (post: 1310042) wrote:As I've only actually been getting anime the past couple years, I want to find a good anime from about same the time as DBZ and Pokemon. There's just somthing about anime from ten years ago, know what I mean?

DBZ is from 20 years ago :cool: But I digress some reccomendations for you.

From DBZ's time:
Yu Yu hakusho
Saint Seiya (note that these two series would get a 5 or so in "bad religion" category so don't watch if you mind it)
Captain Tsubasa (if you like soccer)
Ranma 1/2 (If you don't mind mild nudity and innuendo)

From Pokemon's time:
Monster Rancher (I assure you is a lot more than a rip off of Pokemon)
InuYasha (Very good series but be warned that if you like it, you'll have to turn to the manga eventually, as the anime ended far before the story ended)
Maokun

Postby impact777 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:26 am

EricTheFred (post: 1310230) wrote:I've had considerably more concern over the lesbianism occasionally shown in the personal life of the primary heroine in Ghost in the Shell.

Which scenes do you mean? I've never noticed something like that. Hmmm....only the one scene in which she asked batou and the rest, if they want to go in a strip club. But I haven't seen the last 7 episodes of 2nd gig yet....
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
impact777

Postby EricTheFred » Sat May 09, 2009 7:53 am

impact777 (post: 1310317) wrote:Which scenes do you mean? I've never noticed something like that. Hmmm....only the one scene in which she asked batou and the rest, if they want to go in a strip club. But I haven't seen the last 7 episodes of 2nd gig yet....

It's implied rather than shown, fortunately; it's just annoying because it has nothing to do with the story. In a couple cases she is seen with acquaintances in an apartment and you can tell what their relationship to her is from the dialog.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby impact777 » Tue May 12, 2009 4:28 am

Hey folks. =)
I often order my anime dvds via amazon uk. Yesterday I saw that they have some interesting series for a nice price. I've chosen 2 of them because the critics were very good at amazon, but I didn't buy them yet. The names are Beck and Pani Poni Dash. Would you recommend them to me? Is there any "bad religion" or something like that?
Thanks a lot for your answers. Unfortunately, I' m still a rookie. ^^
impact777

Postby Sheol777 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:50 am

impact777 (post: 1311055) wrote:Hey folks. =)
I often order my anime dvds via amazon uk. Yesterday I saw that they have some interesting series for a nice price. I've chosen 2 of them because the critics were very good at amazon, but I didn't buy them yet. The names are Beck and Pani Poni Dash. Would you recommend them to me? Is there any "bad religion" or something like that?

Beck is fantastic. Its about a struggling band trying to make a name for themselves in Japan with great characters and animation. No 'bad religion' there are some mild suggestive scenes and some language...but not a buch. Unfortunately most of this is in the first episode or two.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby coffeehubby » Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 am

What do you think of heavymetal alchemist? I liked the animation overall, especially the stop-scene shots.
躍動感あふれる人生を受け入れる[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
coffeehubby

Postby EricTheFred » Tue May 12, 2009 7:49 am

coffeehubby (post: 1311069) wrote:What do you think of heavymetal alchemist? I liked the animation overall, especially the stop-scene shots.

I assume you are referring to Fullmetal Alchemist. Personally I wore out on the story before finishing, but I think the art style is excellent.

Pani Poni Dash and bad religion... you know, there is probably no way to speak to this directly without a large number of spoilers. I'll try to use general terms.

PPD is one of my all-time favorite comedies, anime and otherwise. I've watched it several times, and am currently going through it again on Netflix. However, I believe that some Christian (or Jewish or Muslim, for that matter) fans would have one particular very serious problem with it. If you are offended by having characters with godlike powers, including one who claims to in fact be God (and demonstrates significant command over reality at a couple times) then this series is not for you.

If you can see the humor in this, and it makes a difference to you that nobody involved in the creation of the anime was seriously suggesting that God was anything like this particular character in reality, then you may in fact enjoy this series as much as I do. Note that much of the humor depends upon pop culture references, some of which are international and some of which are Japanese, so what you get out of the series partially depends upon how familiar you are with the cultures.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby That Dude » Tue May 12, 2009 8:52 am

As stated before, Beck is a pretty amazing anime...There is some fanservice, most of it mild, but if you have a problem with that then I'd recommend that you stay away from the manga because it has much more. Anyway back to the anime, no bad religion really, but there's quite a bit of language, with the f-bomb being dropped in every few episodes.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby impact777 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:49 am

Allright! Thanks for your informations and tips. =)
impact777

Postby blkmage » Tue May 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Since there's talk of Beck, I guess I'll ask about it here. I've noticed that Beck is only 26 episodes and the manga is over 20 volumes. I'm wondering how different or how much of the manga is adapted in the anime and whether I should read the manga instead.
blkmage

Postby That Dude » Tue May 12, 2009 4:12 pm

blkmage (post: 1311189) wrote:Since there's talk of Beck, I guess I'll ask about it here. I've noticed that Beck is only 26 episodes and the manga is over 20 volumes. I'm wondering how different or how much of the manga is adapted in the anime and whether I should read the manga instead.

Actually the anime and manga are very similar, surprisingly so...The only difference is that the anime ends after Beck goes on their first American tour, and that's roughly the halfway point of the manga.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Maokun » Wed May 13, 2009 12:39 am

Sheol777 (post: 1311057) wrote:Beck is fantastic. Its about a struggling band trying to make a name for themselves in Japan with great characters and animation. No 'bad religion' there are some mild suggestive scenes and some language...but not a buch. Unfortunately most of this is in the first episode or two.

This. Though I'm particularly not fond of the genre (I'm a bit too shonen for my own good) Beck was arguably the best slice-of-life series of the first half of the decade. A must if you enjoy this genre.
Maokun

Postby Wyntre Rose » Wed May 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Has anyone seen The Story of Saiunkoku or Kyo Kara Maoh, and would you recommend either? What kind of content is there in these series?
Wyntre Rose

Postby Fish and Chips » Wed May 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Kyo Kara Maoh, besides being 100+ episodes in length, is mainly a comedy, maybe with a bit of drama mixed in there somewhere but I have no idea. It's bread and butter is lampshading medieval fantasy tropes. And Shounen Ai. No, seriously. Allegedly, it's funny, but your mileage is probably going to vary on this one.
Fish and Chips

Postby Wyntre Rose » Thu May 14, 2009 6:29 am

Hmmm...sounds like a no-go for me, then. Thanks very much! :thumb:
Wyntre Rose

Postby Lady Kenshin » Thu May 14, 2009 3:23 pm

coffeehubby (post: 1311069) wrote:What do you think of heavymetal alchemist? I liked the animation overall, especially the stop-scene shots.

FMA is amazing. It's my favorite anime. Glad to get to spout about my love!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby impact777 » Sun May 24, 2009 5:41 am

I have a question concerning Fruits Basket. I have read the review here at caa and it seems to be a very nice anime. I just want to know if there are any witches or things like that in the series. Because of the curse, you know? Thanks a lot. :)
impact777

Postby Maokun » Sun May 24, 2009 6:17 am

impact777 (post: 1314295) wrote:I have a question concerning Fruits Basket. I have read the review here at caa and it seems to be a very nice anime. I just want to know if there are any witches or things like that in the series. Because of the curse, you know? Thanks a lot. :)

No, the "curse" is result of the traditional legend of the animals in the chinese zodiac (note that though is called "zodiac" it really has no relation with astrology) in which only 12 animals attended the banquet of the Jade Emperor and were rewarded for that. For some reason not stated in the anime, the Sohma family is cursed to be the carriers of those animals essence.
Maokun

Postby impact777 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:22 am

@Maokun: Thanks for the fast answer. =)
impact777

Postby Dr.Faust » Sun May 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Two questens.

1. Where do I get season 2 of Kenshin

2. Do Roy and Hockeye got marryed
Check out my boy's art: http://www.arttronik.com/
Dr.Faust

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sun May 24, 2009 10:35 pm

Dr. Faust:

1. I had to get my set of Rurouni Kenshin Season 2 on ebay. I couldn't find it new anywhere.

2. That's one of the questions we are all waiting impatiently to have answered. ;) Hiromu Arakawa hasn't gotten that far yet in the manga.
Wyntre Rose

Postby MasterDias » Sun May 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Dr.Faust (post: 1314545) wrote:1. Where do I get season 2 of Kenshin

Try:
Rightstuf
Best Buy
Amazon
Rightstuf is the cheapest generally expecially since the Kenshin boxsets are frequently on the weekly specials.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby impact777 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:12 am

Hey everyone! :) Sorry that I need so often some recommendations.
I have 3 questions:
1. Gunslinger Girl 2: Is it as good as GG1?
2. GTO: Who you recommend it to me?
3. Rurouni Kenshin: I've heard that a series with 95 episodes exist. Is there any bad religion in it? The episodes 67-70 are called "son of god" referring to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267898/dvd

Allright, that's it. Thanks a lot for your answers. These are the last questions I have for ....hmmmm.... at least 2 weeks. ;)
impact777

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon May 25, 2009 11:15 am

impact777 (post: 1314588) wrote:3. Rurouni Kenshin: I've heard that a series with 95 episodes exist. Is there any bad religion in it? The episodes 67-70 are called "son of god" referring to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0267898/dvd

I've heard that, too, but those are in the "filler" season 3. Has nothing to do with the manga story, since the manga wasn't finished yet. The general opinion, as far as the anime goes, seems to be that season one is good, season two is amazing, and season three is a waste of time. You can safely watch the first 2 without feeling like you've missed anything by not watching season 3. Season 2 ends on a satisfying note, too, even if it doesn't finish as cleanly as the manga.

As far as the rest of the series and religion goes...I think the only thing that comes up is that Kenshin and co (especially Sanosuke) meet up with a former Buddhist monk who does a little praying here and there and there is a little explanation as far as what he was like when he was a monk, but it's really minimal - it may come up in 2 episodes at most. And if you've read the manga, there'll be no surprises, as this is in the second season, which is almost exactly like the manga.
Wyntre Rose

Postby impact777 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:30 am

@Wyntre Rose: Ahh! Ok. Thanks for the information. That's good to know. :)
impact777

Postby Maokun » Mon May 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Wyntre Rose is quite right about season 3. However if you are curious, here are some spoilers about the nature of the episodes of your concern, which in my opinion are of no concern whatsoever.

[spoiler]It's actually a nice window to the history of Christianity in Japan. Christians are mostly depicted as good people that are cruely persecuted by traditionalists and nationalists shortly after the arrival of the first misionaries. The "bad guy" is a young man with a messiah complex, developed after the loss of his parents in said persecution and fueled by a corrupt priest that wants to use him as means of gain power and a renegade Hiten Mitsurugi practitioner who taught him the style hoping to get back on his master. He's shown not being evil, just terribly misguided and admittedly, a bit insane. However all other christians are depicted as noble, brave people.[/spoiler]

As a matter of fact, I don't mind that much that arc as the next which has lots of "bad religion" as it centers on some occult practices.
Maokun

Postby MasterDias » Mon May 25, 2009 10:40 pm

impact777 (post: 1314588) wrote:1. Gunslinger Girl 2: Is it as good as GG1?

The general consensus seems to be that it is inferior to the first anime by a wide margin. You can watch the entire second series legally on Funimation's video site however, if you wish, or sample a few episodes.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Ante Bellum » Tue May 26, 2009 4:42 am

Could anyone recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? That is one that I am currently interested in. Or, could any GitS be recommended, for that matter?
Ante Bellum

Postby EricTheFred » Tue May 26, 2009 7:28 am

GITS has a few issues. I don't think any of them are a red flag for most CAA members, but they are present and should be taken into consideration.

The series recognizes the existence of souls, which are called 'Ghosts' in GITS, but the concept is clearly identical. However, there is at least the suggestion that certain man-made beings in the series are also in possession of souls, which is theologically questionable (although not unique. Heinlein and Clarke both played around with the question of whether AI computers could have souls.) On top of this, mankind has developed the technology of moving souls out of humans into machines ('cyberbrains') Lots of questions to deal with, there.

Other than that, the usual gore and fan-service issues. It is definitely one of the more intriguing Sci-Fi franchises out there.

EricTheFred

Postby RandomBurrito » Tue May 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Ok, I'm wondering about some other anime titles. I was wondering about these titles:

Boys Be....

Strawberry Marshmallow

And .. there's another but I can't remember @o@

Anyways .. anyone know if they're any good? Thanks!
[SIZE="5"][color="White"]Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost! [/color][/SIZE]

[color="DarkOrchid"]@[/color][color="Green"])}~`,~[/color] [color="Yellow"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.[/color]
:hug:
RandomBurrito

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews