What Movies are you Watching?

TV, Movies, Sports...you can find it all in here.

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat May 09, 2009 9:28 pm

ich1990 (post: 1310467) wrote:Bolt

It was actually really good. I didn't expect that. Every time that hamster was overcome with blood lust I laughed.

Me too! Oh man, I love Bolt to death! :dance: This movie redeemed kids' movies for me; after Treasure Planet and Brother Bear, they all seemed to be really stupid and shallow (other than Pixar movies, of course), so when I went to see Bolt the first time, I was expecting to be disappointed. And actually...I was really impressed! And watching it again just made me like it all the more. It's still exciting, still really well done, Rhino is still hilarious (I was helpless with laughter when he fogs up his ball, then makes a smiley face on it), and I still cried at the revelation of Mittens's past :sniffle:

And there's a deleted scene that was really good too. After the first few moments, I completely forgot it was just storyboards and stand-in voiceovers; it was very dramatic, and I kind of wish they'd somehow managed to keep it in.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GeneD » Sun May 10, 2009 3:29 am

I watched X-men Origins yesterday. Quite enjoyed it, but I would have liked to see more of Gambit.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun May 10, 2009 11:12 am

This weekend I hung out with my friends, the Coyles, and we watched Let the Right One In, The Shining, The Goonies, The Cat Returns, Army of Darkness, and Ed Wood.
GhostontheNet

Postby Sheol777 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:27 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1310572) wrote:This weekend I hung out with my friends, the Coyles, and we watched Let the Right One In.........

Me too...what is all the hype about?

It wasn't as creepy in a horror way as it was in an (how should I put it)......inappropriate way.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby ich1990 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:46 pm

The Man from Snowy River

At times I thought to myself, you know, this movie isn't bad, and then it would go all dramatic and I couldn't restrain myself from laughing at the thought that the director actually left that part of the movie in the finished product.

[quote="the_wolfs_howl (post: 1310492)"]And there's a deleted scene that was really good too. After the first few moments, I completely forgot it was just storyboards and stand-in voiceovers]

Deleted scene? Darn. I didn't watch that.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon May 11, 2009 6:13 am

Sheol777 (post: 1310665) wrote:Me too...what is all the hype about?

It wasn't as creepy in a horror way as it was in an (how should I put it)......inappropriate way.
Or, to be more blunt, you are concerned that the film is encouraging of tendencies of pedophilia, notwithstanding that children and preteens have their own ideas about sexuality even if this does not usually lead to actual intercourse. To be sure, transposing a female vampire who is both eternally twelve in both mind and body while possessing characteristics of a much older and more mature woman (in Eli, the vampire cycle seems to have replaced the menstrual cycle, so she will never grow fully into womanhood) with a twelve year-old male mortal who is young and inexperienced but will continue to grow and mature creates a point of semiotic instability related to everyday assumptions about aging and sexuality. On a personal level, I think the most powerful element of the film is its open admission of doubt related to male gender roles, which is often culturally regarded as tantamount to blasphemy.

In society, males are often told either directly or by implication that if they do not give off the image of strength and invulnerability, and if they do not assert this image in aggressive behavior, then they cannot be legitimate members of their own gender. The problem with this, however, is that the structure of the universe is intrinsically bound up in ontic frailty, and so this idea of masculinity creates an unreconciled duality between man and the world he lives in that always threatens to undo his sense of legitimacy as a man, which in turn creates deep-seated conflicts and anxieties within his very sense of being. To make matters worse, because the admission of doubt related to these roles is often regarded as an unwelcome bearing of the marks of fragility, most men don't even have an emotional outlet with which they can come to terms with it. In terms of the cinematic technique of the film, this element is shown by its approach to lighting and color, which makes youthful skin look rosy and fragile in its awkward attempts to attain the ideal of masculinity, and adult skin look grim and harsh in its so-called "success". Having grown up as a frail and meek individual in circumstances deeply akin to Oskar's own, I have on some level always been acutely aware of these conflicts. So set this in contrast with a female vampire who openly admits to her belief that her vampiric condition has controverted her claim to true femininity ("I'm not a girl," Eli often remarks), and place these two together in a heterosexual relationship that allows them to resolve their own gender conflicts, and you have a film with immense power to effect beauty and healing. These are, of course, only the beginning of my thoughts on the film, and I would be very much interested in writing a full-scale analysis.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue May 12, 2009 2:50 am

Tonight I watched Ginger Snaps, which was quite a good horror movie.
GhostontheNet

Postby Scarecrow » Tue May 12, 2009 4:47 am

The Spirit... it sucked. Horrible dialog, scenes that make you go "WTF?" Some shots looked nice... if they were a still photograph. But this could have been made soooo much better. I don't know if it was based on a comic book or what but this movie was all over the place and tried to hard to be like Sin City... which was waaay better.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed May 13, 2009 12:48 am

Tonight I watched Pan's Labyrinth.
GhostontheNet

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu May 14, 2009 4:30 pm

MST3k the Movie.
Not bad, or at least as good as any episode. But for being a feature film, I was expecting a little more than that. Also, the DVD has no extras at all. That's just lame.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri May 15, 2009 12:09 am

Um...Star Wars: Episode I, I think. My sisters want to watch Clone Wars (blech), but I'm making them watch the sequel trilogy first.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri May 15, 2009 3:05 am

Just watched Kill Bill 1&2 for the first time ever... It makes me want to get into martial arts again, though it was cheesy as whatever. I didn't really laugh at most of the places I was supposed to, I think, but that's because I was distracted by all the things I recognized out of AMV Hell. I'm not sure whether Azumanga Daioh or Kill Bill made its way into AMV hell more... I'm gonna guess Azumanga Daioh, but Kill Bill certainly made #2 on that list (followed by Death Note at 3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri May 15, 2009 2:20 pm

I just watched Let the Right One In.
GhostontheNet

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri May 15, 2009 2:54 pm

Watched Pan's Labyrinth a couple nights ago for a Spanish course. It's a solid film, one I've been meaning to see for some time.
Fish and Chips

Postby Doubleshadow » Fri May 15, 2009 8:38 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1312008) wrote:MST3k the Movie.
Not bad, or at least as good as any episode. But for being a feature film, I was expecting a little more than that. Also, the DVD has no extras at all. That's just lame.

Two MST3k references AND Terry Pratchett? I will love you forever.

Just finished watching Serenity.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Scarecrow » Sat May 16, 2009 5:45 am

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans... pretty good if you like the series (they're kind of a guilty pleasure). It surprised me a bit but I was expecting it to be horrible for some reason (I don't know why cause I really enjoyed the last two...). Anyway, pretty good prequel. I missed Kate Beckinsale though...
Scarecrow

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat May 16, 2009 2:41 pm

Doubleshadow (post: 1312320) wrote:Two MST3k references AND Terry Pratchett? I will love you forever.

Just finished watching Serenity.

*sings*
Doubleshadow, won't you be mi-hee-ine
I'll give you scrolls and fish and Tinkertoys and wi-yee-ine . . .

Oh, and thanks for reminding me, I watched the BBC animated miniseries version of Soul Music on DVD. Got it in a 2-pack with Wyrd Sisters, which I haven't watched yet.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ich1990 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:40 pm

The Third Man

Very good. Not the best film ever, but certainly worth watching. Orson Welles' acting was especially superb and Graham Greene put quite a few memorable lines in the script.
ich1990

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat May 16, 2009 9:43 pm

I saw Star Trek yesterday. I thought it was pretty good.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sun May 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Tonight I watched "The Hudsucker Proxy". It wasn't as funny as I would have hoped it to have been, but the last part of it was pretty good.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby ich1990 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Die Harder (I laugh every time I say that out loud)

It was unbelievable. Literally.
ich1990

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon May 18, 2009 10:03 pm

I just finished watching The Fall again. I really love this movie.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon May 18, 2009 10:48 pm

Earlier today I watched Edward Scissorhands.
GhostontheNet

Postby Sheol777 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:01 am

Star Trek - Good movie ...if you don't think about it too much...sets a great new status quo

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - not bad, I have seen better holocost films.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed May 20, 2009 1:20 am

Tonight I watched Nosferatu the Vampyre.
GhostontheNet

Postby Scarecrow » Wed May 20, 2009 3:33 am

Oo thanks for reminding me, I've been meaning to watch that for a while but I keep forgetting about it. *goes to stick it in queue*
Scarecrow

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Watched it with my sisters. We fastforwarded through all the stupid romance parts, which cut out at least half an hour and caused us to all start giggling helplessly. We also discussed at length how much older they made Obi-Wan look in Episode II than I.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri May 22, 2009 5:39 pm

I just finished watching The Ring.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon May 25, 2009 9:22 pm

These past few days I watched The Shining, Suspiria, Pan's Labyrinth, The Cat Returns, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-up Zombies, Nosferatu the Vampyre, and Edward Scissorhands with my friends, the Coyles.
GhostontheNet

Postby Sheol777 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 am

Frost/Nixon - unusual for me to watch because I am not that political, nor do I have an interest in political stories. This however is more about the people involved and is an interesting character study.
Sheol777

Previous Next

Return to General Entertainment