Oh Maiden, advance with a sword and a rose. [By Arika Takarano]

Talk about anything in here.

Oh Maiden, advance with a sword and a rose. [By Arika Takarano]

Postby Song_of_Storms » Sun May 03, 2009 9:25 pm

[SIZE="1"]
I wonder what made you become Lolita? Is it because you wanted to wear cute clothes? Because you like lace and frills? Because you wanted to be like someone? Or was it because you wanted to become cute so you’d be popular with the guys?

No, no, that’s impossible, isn’t it? After all, Lolita isn’t something with which you worry about what guys think! I bet your answer is something like this, “Before I knew it, I was a Lolita maiden.”

That’s right! You are a chosen maiden, a born aristocratic maiden. I understand you well. You are a daydreamer and a visionary who is here in body, but not in spirit. You’re shy, willful and don’t want to be like others. You like reading by yourself rather than partying with friends. You love pretty things and want to live only surrounded by the things you like. Isn’t that right?

“I am a special maiden.” It’s okay for you to think that, you know. Even if there are strangers who look away and snicker at you because your skirt is too puffy, or because the ribbon adorning your hair is too big, you don’t have to let it bother you. Sure, it’s aggravating that there are still some confused people who see Gothic and Lolita as unemotional, cheap cosplay, but you should just remain confident and stand tall.

One cannot learn true kindness unless one becomes strong. Nothing will come of indulging in the comfort of lukewarm idleness. It’s trifling and foolish to look at the same thing others see and try to discover something interesting from such. After all, there are many more wonderful things, yet-unknown things, beautiful things that will take your breath away in your world. I know you can find these things.

Cotton candy envelops your heart. Scarlet roses bloom in your eyes, and the taste of honey forever spreads upon your tongue. Your hair is soft and your skin smooth. You are a maiden who was born to be Lolita. You exist in a cocoon. The light of the sun and the glistening of the moon gently fall upon you there. You want to stay in there forever with your eyes closed. While you wish for that, the dreams that gently fall upon you there are woven like a sweet layer of powdered sugar…

But girls with a highly developed sense of beauty are intelligent. Have you realized that behind the fluffy cuteness lies hidden a well-honed sword, the blade of which shines brightly? That’s right. After all, you already know, don’t you? That this world does not consist of only beautiful things? That somewhere there lurks malice that intends to do you harm? That roses have thorns so that they may remain sublime? And that sometimes, you must fight to protect that which is dear to you?

This is what I think: Gothic and Lolita clothes are a maiden’s armor, which even a knight’s armor cannot compare to. A maiden’s lace is her steel. Her ribbons are chains. Her dress hat is her helmet, and she surreptitiously changes the blood that flows from her wounds into true red rose petals. Thus, the maiden fights. After all, to live is to fight, and to become beautiful is to become stronger.

You are a noble being that no one may touch, you are cute and yet tragic. Yes, the ideal aristocratic maiden, in my imagination, is very much like you.

There are often maidens who say, “But I’m not cute so…” You know, though, that’s there is no such thing as a maiden who is not cute. It’s just that there are those maiden who don’t have enough confidence. However, modesty is virtue, and those maidens won’t become the kind of shameless women who are not mindful of their appearance. That’s why I think not having confidence is a step towards beauty, too. So, stop looking into the mirror and sighing! You must find at least a piece of yourself that you like best. For example, a part of your face would be nice: like your peachy cheeks or even your eyelashes. Your tiny, pink, seashell-like nails also would be fine. The fact that you’ve got a talent for art, or that your specialty is making sweets would be fine, too. It’s enough for you to acknowledge, little by little, that there is something that you excel in. See? When you think of it that way, now don’t you recall this and that talent?

Say, I can see wings on your back—elegant wings, with the luster of velvet. Please keep flying freely, without fear. Even if someone should hurt you, you will end up landing in the right place. I know this well, because once upon a time, I was like you, too.

(I wasn't sure were this would be appropriate to post...)
I couldn't help but fall in love with these words. Being a self-proclaimed Lolita, it hit a special cord. Perhaps Arika Takarano's words will inspire others. ^w^ (I also typed this out by hand...)[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 pm

I think you can replace this letter for any niche. Just fix the words around, and boom. Self-Esteem boost for anybody of any subculture.

This author makes it seem like a gothic lolita has something that no other conventional woman has. Perhaps it is a lifestyle for some... but if that is the case then... it may be too much. I just seems like this person is instilling skewed confidence for a niche that is often misunderstood or looked down upon.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon May 04, 2009 2:19 pm

[SIZE="1"]It's just the view of the author. I wouldn't say she holds Lolitas as higher beings, just more misunderstood. Especially in a world-wide culture that portrays women as needing to fit a certain criteria.
I find no problem with Arika Takarano's words, and I won't ever find it offensive to build confidence in others. I just wanted to share some verbage that I considered lovely, Lolita or otherwise. ^w^[/SIZE]
Song_of_Storms

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Mon May 04, 2009 2:35 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]*Is a "self proclaimed GothLoli" also*
Oh, man. That's actually a really good confidence thingy. o.o

And, being the usual odd-one-out, I know how it feels to be criticized for things like this.

And Loli's are misunderstood because of the fact that they embrace their maiden-like, dollish qualities instead of the more "modern" qualities, among other things...

[color="Red"]<3[/color] this, Erin-chan.
Thanks so much for posting this. ^____^[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][color="Plum"]WHY GOD MADE J-ROCK: Kamijo[/color][/SIZE]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon May 04, 2009 2:42 pm

[SIZE="1"]I thought the other Loli on CAA would appreciate it. ^w^/
So true, Dee-chan. X3[/SIZE]
Song_of_Storms

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 04, 2009 5:18 pm

*shrug* They're all just social constructs anyway. =p The qualities and things, especially.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kkun » Mon May 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Do either of you even know what a Lolita REALLY is?
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 04, 2009 5:26 pm

Vladimir Nabokov is here to save the daaaaay!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Song_of_Storms » Mon May 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Kkun (post: 1309241) wrote:Do either of you even know what a Lolita REALLY is?

[SIZE="1"]Yes, of course. I also am in full knowledge about the book. The Lolita Fashion has nothing to do with such material.[/SIZE]
Song_of_Storms

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]Lolita fashion subculture is based actually off of the dresses from Anne of Green Gables, which is oddly popular in Japan.

The ONLY, and I mean ONLY thing that it has to do with Vladimir's book is the name.

YES, the point of the style is to look like dolls (no matter how creepy), but it is in NO way meant to be sexual.
In fact, it's against the rules of the clothing style to be sexual. It's meant to be cute.
NOT slutty like the book portrays.

^^
*Has this all typed out, since my parents always make comments about it to my face*[/font]
[SIGPIC]http://christiananime.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9906&dateline=1214542817[/SIGPIC]
[color="LightBlue"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]Crucify My Love, If My Love Is Blind...[/SIZE][/color][/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 04, 2009 6:27 pm

Yes, we know. XD
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Kkun » Mon May 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Hana Ryuuzaki (post: 1309258) wrote:[font="palatino Linotype"]Lolita fashion subculture is based actually off of the dresses from Anne of Green Gables, which is oddly popular in Japan.

The ONLY, and I mean ONLY thing that it has to do with Vladimir's book is the name.

YES, the point of the style is to look like dolls (no matter how creepy), but it is in NO way meant to be sexual.
In fact, it's against the rules of the clothing style to be sexual. It's meant to be cute.
NOT slutty like the book portrays.

^^
*Has this all typed out, since my parents always make comments about it to my face*[/font]

Really?
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Mon May 04, 2009 6:44 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"]I stated "based off", but I'd rather not get into a debate about this. ^^

So I'll leave it at that. *peace and love, yo!*[/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Mon May 04, 2009 7:12 pm

I thought it was based off of Victorian-era clothing...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Hana Ryuuzaki » Mon May 04, 2009 7:15 pm

[font="palatino Linotype"](It's both. ^^ Sweet/Gingham Loli is a mix of both)

(Since i feel really stupid, I'll be leaving this thread. ^^)[/font]
Hana Ryuuzaki

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue May 05, 2009 12:09 am

Being a Goth who dresses in black velvet pants, clunky boots, and a steampunk tailcoat that makes me look like a toy soldier, I think I understand the sentiment although my gender compels me to abstain from the pleasure of wearing ribbons and lace (I still decorate my room and belongings with it where good taste permits). As far as lolita fashion in general goes, I think the look of it is mainly inspired by the appearance of old Victorian dolls, and functions as a kind of commentary on femininity in an artificial society. Being a guy with an obsession for the archetype of the doll and a huge Pinocchio complex, I know all about the feeling of not being a real person, but only the fragile porcelain simulation of one. Even so, from my experience wearing Gothic clothing, I suggest you ladies wear shoes or boots that make it look like you can give someone a nice kick to the shins. You'll be surprised by how less willing people are to insult you to your face when you do that, and it will contribute greatly to your peace of mind. I would disagree that lolita fashion is completely asexual, but only by way of the allure of maidenhood, which apparently drives guys crazy enough to write poems cleverly designed to drive girls crazy. While any self-respecting guy would like to use his sword to win the maiden's rose, Akira Takarano's poem lends the maidens a sword of their own to fight on their own terms. In this respect, Takarano's poetic imagery may be seen as a coded statement of feminine identity as interpreted by the lolita subculture, and is not to be dismissed as a mere self-esteem boost.

Kkun (post: 1309261) wrote:Really?
I couldn't tell you to what degree lolita fashion is influenced by Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. But having read all but four chapters of the novel, I do know Anne has an affinity for wearing flowing elegant dresses with puffy sleeves (yes, puffy sleeves are an important point of contention between Anne and Green Gables' Puritan values), which the novel links to her affinity for the creative work of the Romantic period. Romanticism is indeed a major influence on lolita fashion and culture, so the connection is well-placed.
GhostontheNet

Postby Nate » Tue May 05, 2009 2:16 am

*starts to say something but then backs away whistling innocently* <.<;; >.>;;

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 am

Since this thread isn't going anywhere edifying in the near future, I'm gonna go ahead and lock it up now.

[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Return to General