Swine Flu: Who's worried?

Talk about anything in here.

Swine Flu: Who's worried?

Postby Lady Kenshin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:43 pm

Just wondering what people's thoughts on this new threat are. Mine are a mix of worry for myself and those I love-- and morbid excitement about the future of the "pandemic."

I mean, apocalypse please! Bring on the Second Coming! But at the same time... I worry about my family.

In Texas, where I live, there are a lot of schools shutting down. Near my area, there are two entire districts shutting down, and one borders mine.

I think I'll be wearing a mask to school tomorrow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:49 pm

I'm not and but I'm just careful. I have to be since I have to health problems and just the normal flu would be a bad thing for me.

But really, this oh nose, its the apocalypse! Asia had the bird flu and SARS, but it didn't end the world, so why would anyone think this would be it.

The normal flu kills more people each year then what this flu is doing. I think the media is make this worst then it really is. CDC is working on it and you just have to be careful.

Plus all the deaths have came from Mexico and Mexico is not a very clean place and they were a bit late about doing anything about it.

Where here, we have and just only one death has happen in the US. Which to me, doesn't count as a US death, because it was a kid visiting the US from Mexico.

Also, you need to know what kind of mask works. Just getting a mask is not going to help you, if you don't get the right one.

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Lady Kenshin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:55 pm

True. But I look forward to the end, so... yeah, I exaggerate a little.

Not because I enjoy widespread suffering, of course, but I look forward to Jesus' return as much as anyone else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby xblack_x_rosesx » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:04 pm

SARS, Bird Flu, West Nile...

It's always something.

I'm not TOO worried. If it turns serious, it turns serious. If it doesn't, it'll just be one of those "cry wolf"! things.

[SIZE="1"] You wanna sink, so I'm gonna let you. [/SIZE]

[DA hooray.]
xblack_x_rosesx

Postby goldenspines » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:05 pm

I echo what Roy said. It's not an end of the world deal(sorry to disappoint o.O). Everyone just needs to be more careful; like wash their hands more often and such.
goldenspines

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:08 pm

[quote="goldenspines"]I echo what Roy said. It's not an end of the world deal(sorry to disappoint o.O). Everyone just needs to be more careful]

Yes, the best checklist to do about this flu is,

Wash hands.

If you have a cough, cover your cough or sneezes with a tissue or your arm. Don't cough or sneeze into your hands.

Don't fly right now.

Don't go to Mexico.

Don't go to school or work, if you are sick.

Its that easy! :thumb:

This checklist has been brought to you by a user that the CDC has a file on him. XD

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang [/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby MasterDias » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm rather skeptical that it will really be as serious as the mainstream media is hyping it up to be...and the fact that new reports seem to indicate that the confirmed Mexico deaths have apparently been overstated isn't making me any less skeptical.

All the foreign cases so far appear to be fairly mild.
I suppose it could mutate into something worse, but I'm not expecting another Spanish Flu...especially not until there is more solid information.

Although, I believe we have a few doctors/medical people here. I would be interested in hearing their opinions about it.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:22 pm

MasterDias wrote:I'm rather skeptical that it will really be as serious as the mainstream media is hyping it up to be...and the fact that new reports seem to indicate that the confirmed Mexico deaths have apparently been overstated isn't making me any less skeptical.

I'm the same way. Since the facts for Seasonal Influenza and this just for the USA are][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:28 pm

Yeah, I was talking with Link about this a couple days ago. Apparently there was a Swine Flu outbreak in 1976. Bad public service announcements and everything, reminding the general population to get inoculated before it was too late, and not to delude themselves into thinking they were safe.

In the entirety of the United States, one man died from it. Twenty-five died from vaccine complications.

I'm not terribly worried about it.
Fish and Chips

Postby Doubleshadow » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:41 pm

Not worried at all. Too well informed, not easy to scare.

On the flip side, I have come down with the flu, as of about six o'clock yesterday. I have gotten some sympathy, but mostly strong suggestions to go home from my labmates. Some outright commands, but mostly just suggestions. XD
Although, if I'm not better by tomorrow, if I show up I anticipate being hauled to the door and hurled like a frisbee.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Not worried in the slightest.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:49 pm

There isn't any reason to be worried right now. Sure, it could eventually break out and become a pandemic, but... it's just another flu.

Besides, even if it was some crazy break out zombie virus, God's in control.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Psh... not me. People do know the regular flu kills upwards of 30,000 people a year in the US alone? 140 people have died from this one.... I'm more concerned about dying from the regular flu at this point.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby LadyRushia » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Basically what everyone else said. There's a new disease that's out to kill the world every year or so.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Sakaki Onsei » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:58 pm

Not me.

If I die, I die. If I don't, I live another day.
Hiyakawa Sayaka (my character from my writing) wrote:God has given me a gift, that I really don't know what to do with. I guess, all I can do is put it in his hands, keep my hands inside the car, and expect to end up destroying parts of Tokyo with my perfectly good guitar.

Revelation 1:10-11: I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, [color="Red"]"Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches to Ephesus and to Smyrna, and to Pergamum and to Theyatira, and at Sardis, and to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea."[/color]
Sakaki Onsei

Postby wildpurplechild » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Not to minimize the people who have gotten it and and suffered horribly, but at my school people just joke about it, and tell other people "i'm going to give you the swine flu!!". I too am not worried, but I also have a pretty strong amune system.
*cough* jk
wildpurplechild

Postby KagayakiWashi » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:33 pm

My life's in God's hands. That doesn't mean "don't use common sense", but I'm not worried.
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Sparx00 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm not really worried, but I am a little since I'm going to Seattle tomorrow for ATF. And I've heard that Swine flu is very easy to catch in big cities. So yeah, just a little worried. But I trust that even if I do get sick, God will pull me through it.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1308318) wrote:Besides, even if it was some crazy break out zombie virus, God's in control.

That pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter. XD So yeah, I'm not worried.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby The Liar XIII » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:59 pm

I guess to contribute to the discussion, I'll post my post regarding the Swine Flu that I posted on another forum.

What's your take on this whole Swine Flu situation? Do you know anyone who actually has the swine flu? Are you worried about how fast it's spreading?
I found out about The Swine Flu Monday, and I'm still kind of shook up. Seems like a grave threat to the world if not treated properly. Many people in not-so-well-off countries such as Spain, Mexico, and whatnot are already feeling the effects of The Swine Flu such as death. But, luckily, here in Canada, The United States, and other well developed countries have the access to technology that can really fight off this. The main thing to keep in mind is that The Swine Flu has had the most effect on the Third World Countries and such, and people are getting all acted-up over it because the news just focuses on that and blows the topic out of proportion.
Several people in Canada have it (13 from what I have heard). This is what worries me about it coming to Newfoundland and Labrador. Luckily, we do have the technology, but sadly, the hospital in my town isn't as well off as the ones in Corner Brook, Stephenville, or even St. John's.
But, for the most part, regarding North America and other well developed countries, this'll just blow over.

Do you think this could possibly, just POSSIBLY, be a sign of the end of the world perhaps?
Not really. If it gets serious enough, then maybe. But as of now, it is just in the early stages.. So, it'll be okay in the long run.. Look at SARS.. That is MUCH worse than The Swine Flu, and you don't even hear about it anymore!
So, this whole Swine Flu deal is nothing compared to some other things that are pitting the world in grave danger in the present, and the future..

I saw this on the news the other night.. And I think it might be a good thing to add to the discussion.

www.nasa.gov wrote:The Sun Loses its Spots
Maybe it's the Calm Before the Storm

While sidewalks crackle in the summer heat, NASA scientists are keeping a close eye on the sun. It is almost spotless, a sign that the Sun may have reached solar minimum. Scientists are now watching for the first spot of the new solar cycle to appear.

The 11 year long solar cycle is marked by two extremes, solar minimum and solar maximum. Solar minimum is the period of least solar activity in the solar cycle of the sun. During this time sunspot and solar flare activity diminishes, and often does not occur for days at a time.

When spots begin to appear on the sun once again, scientists know that the sun is heading into a new season of extreme solar activity. At the cycle's peak, solar maximum, the sun is continually peppered with spots, solar flares erupt, and the sun hurls billion-ton clouds of electrified gas into space.

Solar maximum is often compared to the hurricane season here on Earth. Violent solar events, like flares and coronal mass ejections, are the hurricanes of space weather. These solar storms are capable of wreaking havoc with satellites, power grids, and radio communication, including the Global Positioning System.

NOAA's Space Environment Center, Boulder CO, forecasts that the next solar cycle should begin in March 2008 and should peak in late 2011 or mid 2012.

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solars...solar_live.html
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby Peanut » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:59 pm

I was really worried for a second...then I realized it was the summer and the news stations have nothing to report on...this is proven by the fact that my sister witnessed Fox news broadcasting a low speed "car" chase in Georgia involving a stolen tractor and the highway...yeah...

Also there are all the reasons everyone else has listed...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Whitefang » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:07 pm

Do I worry about Alpha Centauri becoming a super nova and nuking us with epic levels of radiation? Do I worry about an errant event horizon that is heading on a collision path with Earth with no warning? Do I worry about an asteroid/meteor/comet intersecting our orbit?

There are many, many, many scarier things that could level this planet than this particular virus. In fact, of the few things that we understand, living and semi-living organisms are some that we understand the best. That doesn't make them predictable, but we can at least react and have enough time to deal with anything that may occur.

So no, I am not worried at all about any of these things.
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby goldenspines » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Okay folks, just a reminder, let's make sure to keep this out of "It may be the end of the world soon" territory.
No theological debates, please.
goldenspines

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Paranoid people are worried. And Mexicans.

If you live in the US though you have a better chance of winning the lottery than dying from the swine flu. So if you're worried about it, go out and buy a lottery ticket. If you win, you might die from swine flu.

Seriously there's only a little over 100 cases of swine flu in the US. 100 people does NOT make an epidemic, pandemic, whatever dictionary word you want to use. There's more people being struck by lightning than are getting the swine flu, but I haven't heard of any lightning strike pandemics, have you?

The US has good health care and much more sanitary conditions than Mexico. If you live in Mexico, yes, you have good reason to be worried. If you live in the United States, then no, there's no reason whatsoever to worry. The media is blowing this out of proportion because they have nothing else to talk about. If something more interesting happens then swine flu will be pushed aside to report on that.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby GundamFan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:55 pm

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE FROM THIS!!!
This thing has me so freaked I can't get any sleep.
GundamFan

Postby minakichan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:02 pm

I don't think it's fair to say swine flu is harmless because so many more people in the US die of normal influenza. The point now isn't the number of people, it's the rate of propogation. Also, generally it's older folks with weaker immune systems who die of the flu; with something like swine flu, our bodies might not be as prepared to combat it.

At any rate, people should do things like wash their hands and avoid physical contact no matter whether there's some pandemic going around.

I am a little excited because I think this is the perfect excuse to buy or make a face mask; I'm thinking a goth or goth loli black one with safety pins or lace, and if I think of actually making it, with black Chinese brocade, white lace and black ribbon.

/fail
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Robin Firedrake » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:04 pm

HOLEEEEEEE COW! Mina you are awesome! I shall make an epic mask of awesome! I'm not really worried bout this so called "Epidemic" so it'll just be an excuse to wear a neat mask.
Robin Firedrake

Postby Cognitive Gear » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:11 pm

For anyone who is concerned about swine flu resulting in a high death count, you can read about the two previous US swine flu outbreaks on wikipedia.

So relax!
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby GundamFan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm

Well I'm ready as I'm going to be stocked up on hand sanitizers and rubber gloves.
GundamFan

Postby Kkun » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:37 pm

Cognitive Gear (post: 1308318) wrote:
even if it was some crazy break out zombie virus

We aren't that lucky.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Next

Return to General