Seminary/Bible College? Also, a question about "callings"

Talk about anything in here.

Seminary/Bible College? Also, a question about "callings"

Postby Cognitive Gear » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:09 pm

I think that God might be calling me to go to seminary/Bible College. What for, I have no idea, and to be honest it seems like a bad idea which would lead to my eventual financial ruin.

That said, I have a few questions for those who have attended/are attending seminary:

Why did you choose this over a more traditional school?

What seminary/Bible College did/do you attend?

What is your profession, post seminary/Bible College?

Any help or wisdom you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. The few people I have already talked to about this (Pastor, friend that became a pastor, and my brother-in-law that is a pastor...) were very enthusiastic about my possibly attending one.

I tend to be very cautious about "being called" to something, so if anyone can give me some good guidelines or advice on how to know your calling, please do!
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:31 pm

I can't tell you much about seminary schools, but when it comes to a calling I think it's a matter of asking God about it a zillion times and what you feel when you think about pursuing that calling. I believe I have found God's calling for my life (at least for now) and whenever I really think about it, I love every aspect of it--how it might reach people, how it involves the things I love, how God is involved. As far as not being financially secure, I think that's a matter of trusting God. Where I feel my calling is (writing) isn't financially secure at all, even if I get published, but that's where I feel God pulling me and that's what's important.

So I'd say do a lot of praying and make absolutely certain that God is telling you to take this direction. I still ask God if what I'm doing is what He wants me to do because we need to keep ourselves in check.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:00 pm

I went to seminary because I love God and want to help my church, but when I got there I found out it was less about biblical knowledge and more about leadership and personality. Not that they didn't teach the Bible--they required a more thorough knowledge of the texts, the languages, the history, and the science than any person or force had demanded of me at any point in the past. It was just very clear that the end product was not a repository of knowledge, but a wrangler of men. This didn't sit well with me, not because a pastor shouldn't be a leader but because I wasn't comfortable having that kind of personality, of living a life of constant appeasement and compromise. I'd rather consult with those willing to take my advice than work slowly and painstakingly with those who don't know they need it yet. And that is what a lot of pastoral work entails--figuring out how to administer correction and discipline when anyone who's offended can simply pack up their bags and leave. It's certainly not impossible, and it can lead to great gains for the kingdom, but it requires a very special kind of personality that is not easily cultivated.

Ultimately, I guess our personality disagreements were mutual, because I got kicked out of the program one year before graduation. Almost immediately after I was accepted as a foreign missionary with the same organization. This is the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and the school was Concordia Seminary, in St. Louis. From an educational standpoint I'll never regret everything I learned there. The knowledge really changed me as a person and aside from the bitterness I accumulated wrestling through our personality differences I can absolutely say these changes were for the better.

If I had the choice, though, I wouldn't do it again. It was horrendously expensive. Who knows how many opportunities I've lost because of the money I don't have now? And also, one of the things I learned there was the concept of vocation. Any person who does a good work in an honest job serves God with that work. Even though I'm still with the church, I'm going to be an English teacher and see more lost folks than most pastors will ever see in their lives. I still wish I had that degree to show for my time there, but I can't deny that I'm now on a better path.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:47 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1307908) wrote:I think that God might be calling me to go to seminary/Bible College. What for, I have no idea, and to be honest it seems like a bad idea which would lead to my eventual financial ruin.

That said, I have a few questions for those who have attended/are attending seminary:

Any help or wisdom you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. The few people I have already talked to about this (Pastor, friend that became a pastor, and my brother-in-law that is a pastor...) were very enthusiastic about my possibly attending one.

I tend to be very cautious about "being called" to something, so if anyone can give me some good guidelines or advice on how to know your calling, please do!

You need to talk to more people. The three people you have talked to are all pastors. You need someone more objective. XD Of course they are all going to be very enthusiastic about you going to seminary or Bible college.

Also, should you decide to go to a seminary or Bible college, be VERY picky and be sure that the faculty there teach solid theology. Seminary/Bible college can bolster your faith or wear it down. Be careful.

Also, I completely understand and agree with your caution about "being called" to something. I am extremely skeptical about the whole concept and think it isn't nearly as simple as many people make it out to be.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Ingemar » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 am

You will find that working in the ministry is something that will not only be discouraged by the secular intelligista, but also those who share your faith.

The Gospels make us fully aware of the intense personal sacrifice needed to follow Jesus (e.g. the man who wanted to bury his father before following Jesus, the latter saying "Come with me and let the dead bury their own," etc. etc.)

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that working elsewhere means you can't still serve God. We can show our light by how we treat our relatives and employers and you can certainly devote your free time to worshipping Him. You can even devote your unfree time by using a portion of your income to support the church.

Though, if college is something you really want to do, it might be best to find a job, work for several years and set aside money in order to fund it.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby LadyRushia » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:14 am

Ingemar wrote:Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that working elsewhere means you can't still serve God. We can show our light by how we treat our relatives and employers and you can certainly devote your free time to worshipping Him.

This is true. A good statement that's given to students at my school is that it's not so much that you're a doctor, a psychotherapist, a CEO, etc., but what kind of doctor, psychotherapist, CEO, etc. you are. What's meant by that, as Ingemar said, is that you can do God's work in any field. So even if the seminary thing doesn't work out, you don't have to feel like you've been useless, and if it does work out then that's great. It's a win-win (sort of), and in the words of Michael Scott, it's a win-win-win.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:45 pm

First of all, thank you all for the responses.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm not exactly enthusiastic about this idea. In addition to the financial issue, I was afraid (and this seems to be confirmed through Nick's post) that I don't "fit the bill" personality-wise.

I'm going to continue to pray about it, though. There's no rush, and if God really wants you to do something, you ought to do it. It's difficult to kick against the goads and all that.

Raiden wrote:You need to talk to more people. The three people you have talked to are all pastors. You need someone more objective. XD Of course they are all going to be very enthusiastic about you going to seminary or Bible college.

This is exactly why I posted this here. While pastors and parents are often a great source of council and advice, a lot of them will try to push you into seminary if you so much as say the word under your breath. XD

Ingemar wrote:Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that working elsewhere means you can't still serve God.

Oh, certainly not! Like Rushia said, it's not what you are, but what kind you are. My favorite example of this is Zaccheus. (Luke 19, I think...) After encountering Jesus face to face, he was still a tax collector, but he was a different kind of tax collector.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Ashley » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:06 pm

I went to a Seminary and I'll be happy to share about my experiences there. First, your questions:

- Because I initially wanted to be a full-time missionary with my church, and I thought that a degree from the largest missionary-sending school of my denomination would 1--look good on the resume and 2--prepare me adequately for it

Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas. I received a BA in Humanities from the College at Southwestern, which is actually classified as a Great Books program, but you get a LOT of Bible, too. That's actually one of the reasons I stayed at that school: I studied history, philosophy, AND theology in equal measures, and the faculty there were never afraid of reading secular books (some of my coursework included Darwin, Kant, Bertrand Russell, Dawkins) and discussing them intelligently.

ESL missionary, although this may not be the end-goal of my career. I have come to accept (mostly through the tutelage of a great professor and a wonderful book called "Secular Work is Full-Time Service" by Larry Peabody) that vocation is a matter of the heart, not the hands. A missionary or minister is not spiritually better than a teacher, a plumber, or a hairstylist. Anyone who works as unto the Lord, with an open heart and Christ-like attitudes is doing good for the Kingdom. As my fiance said earlier, we are going to be English teachers and will meet more lost people in one year than most pastors do in several.

That being said, I cherish my education because it was so thorough. As I said before, I took a lot of history classes, philosophy, science and world literature alongside old testament, new testament, greek, etc. As a result I feel like I can adequately assess any idea historically, philosophically, and spiritually, and tackle many intellectual objections to Christianity. I feel like my education was extremely good because it was balanced; it wasn't a "bible only" college and if it had I probably would have been intellectually stunted and frustrated.

If you want to go to a Bible College in order to study for professional ministry, or to learn more about the Bible, this is probably a good decision. If you are just seeking to do "something higher" with your life, I would urge you to pray more and assess your natural talents and abilities, because it may be that God wants to use you as a Christ-filled mechanic instead of a miserable minister.
Ashley

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Ashley (post: 1308140) wrote:If you are just seeking to do "something higher" with your life, I would urge you to pray more and assess your natural talents and abilities, because it may be that God wants to use you as a Christ-filled mechanic instead of a miserable minister.

This. Oh so very much. It's a common misconception among Christians (at least here in the States) that being in a formal ministry (clergy, missionary, etc.) is inherently more Godly than anything else. The world needs Godly people everywhere, and it's good that you recognize this. If you're not enthusiastic about it, then I'd do a lot more thinking before committing.

Let me make a disclaimer that I am in no way against anyone going into a formal ministry position; my father is a pastor and it's an excellent fit for him. However, I am against people going into formal ministry positions that they are not suited for; it is detrimental to the position itself and the person in it.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:22 am

I was actually looking into this as well but decided against it. I have no interest in being a mister, pastor, etc but I AM very much interested in the learning about the Bible in a historical sense more than in the biblical sense... which is also very important but I feel learning the actual history of the lands, cultures, writings, times etc etc would help me fully appreciate the bible... I've always loved learning about ancient history in school like Ancient Egypt and their mythology, the Romans and the Greeks and their mythology, China etc... but if I'm gonna study something like that, I want it to influence what I believe and help me grow spiritually. Visit the Holy lands and all that good stuff.. THAT is what I'm interested in. Career wise though I don't know what I would do with that information though and really all the schools I look at are more keyed into ministry and seminary than history and philosophy or whatever (I admit it wasn't something I looked into very hard though cause like I said, I'm looking for a career move and I don't see where that would lead me at the moment...)
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Galant » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:57 am

Sounds to me like you need spend more time praying about this one - and I mean, not just casually tossing up a prayer but taking time to go for walks by yourself and talking to God about it. Really seeking His heart and mind and opening yourself up to Him. He'll make it clear.

All due respect to CAA, but this isn't the place I would come for advice and opinions. Ultimately, this is a question about calling and only God can answer that. After that, talk with those spiritual authorities in your life closest to you, who know you, and value you.

This isn't about opinions or anyone else's experiences but about God and His purpose for your life. If you really are surrendering your life to Him, then you must have a certainty in Him. You will ultimately continue as you set out. If you go to seminary because you thought it a good idea, then your ideas will dictate if you leave or how you feel about it. If you go based on others ideas then when they are no longer there what will happen? If you go, however, because you know God has told you to, because He has called you to it, then by holding on to Him, you can continue in faith, sustained by His word and presence and you will be able to face everything that comes at you.

Get close to God. Listen, and obey. End of story. :)

He is the ultimate source for life.

As for finance - it's an irrelevant question when it comes to God's direction.

He told Abram to up and leave without knowing where to go. Abraham also took the 'less profitable' by default when his nephew Lot took the more obvious road to the 'fertile' plains of Sodom and Gomorrah.

God doesn't make a call and then let His servants fall. If He leads you He will sustain you. If it's just you though, then don't go.

The Christian life is about life with Christ, full of Him. To be a faithful servant you need to be close to Him. Christian service is not about just choosing a career. It's about walking with Christ and His working through you. In making this decision forget general opinions, forget other experiences. Become certain before God of what you should do and do it.

God bless.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Adopted by Starfire!

OATS - for Shoobie goodness!
Galant

Postby ich1990 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:03 am

Scarecrow (post: 1308184) wrote:I was actually looking into this as well but decided against it. I have no interest in being a mister, pastor, etc but I AM very much interested in the learning about the Bible in a historical sense more than in the biblical sense...

I would recommend that both Cognitive Gear and Scarecrow look into a Great Books college like Ashley suggested. I have a friend who went to New Saint Andrews College.

http://www.nsa.edu/academics/programs.php

He came away absolutely convinced that every Christian should go and get a degree there. The focus is on Christian ideas and ideals and how they apply to Christian living, more than pastoral training. The goal is to provide an "education" rather than "vocational training".

I would go to NSA without a doubt, except that in order to get a job that I would like, I need vocational training. Heck, most of my spare time goes towards making up for the fact that I didn't get to go to a Great Books college. Check them out.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Return to General