Quick Question

Talk about anything in here.

Quick Question

Postby MangArtist » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Someone on Deviant Art asked if I could draw them a picture of a girl hugging a pillow and I was wondering if there's a double meaning to that, cause I went through his gallery and favorites and found mostly scantily clad women hugging pillows.
So I'm wondering if there's some sort of sexual meaning to it before I reply to the guy. I don't want to draw anything suggestive without knowing it.

Any insight on the matter would be appreciated. =]
"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 30:6)

Muh DA page.
MangArtist

Postby shooraijin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:46 pm

If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby TriezGamer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:44 pm

shooraijin's advice, of course, is good.

As to the images: I personally find such images cute, and I'm not aware of any sexual connotations to them. However, as the internet can largely prove, just about anything can be a fetish to someone.
Embraced by a gentle breeze, my heart breaks as I think of you.
All alone at the top of the hill, I watch as the seasons go by.
--
Wishing for courage softly, I pray.
There's no going back now, to those tender days when you held me in your arms.

MOES "I can has Sane Sig now?"
TriezGamer

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:15 pm

When I see someone hugging a pillow. It usually means they're down or missing someone :-? Like, them hugging the pillow is like hugging the one they miss ^__^

I also agree with Shooby. If it makes you uncomfy, then don't draw it ^__^ You're the one with the gut feeling :) Go with that, Miss Mang (XD) ^__^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:35 pm

The only thing I can guess that would be at all H (we're assuming the girl is dressed) would be if the hugged pillow (or Teddy bear, or whatever else) were a vicarious object, and I consider that a stretch, since in reality it isn't sexual. Children, and some adults, hug onto things as comfort. It's probably just habit, but it comes from using the object as a surrogate for Mom as infants and toddlers. Thus you see a lot of hugged Teddy bears in the arms of younger characters in Anime.

Perhaps for him, the pillow translates to loneliness, and loneliness=attractiveness.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Dante » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:52 pm

It might be considered Ecchi... the concept being that the guy himself would like to be the pillow in a form of abstract replacement... As Tsuki noted, they themselves would like to be missed by another... But having no such luck in the real world they may want a picture to make up for that personal need.

It might be nothing of course, but I'd be strongly tempted to say your intuition is correct, it probably could be a form of ecchi.

Thinking about it for a while... I think you should say that art is very prone to your drawing ability at the time... you've been thinking about Star Wars alot lately... and while you weren't able to draw a girl holding a pillow, you were able to catch this individual holding onto a pillow... precisely why falls to the holds of randomness :P.

http://wraithdt.deviantart.com/art/Darth-Vader-116948695

Because... that picture... that mental image you have... that would totally pwn!
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby That Dude » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:57 am

I think that Shooby had the best advice. Go with what you're comfortable with. The picture doesn't have to be sexual at all, but if you get the feeling that the dude may take it that way then don't bother doing it if it makes you uncomfortable.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:09 am

Ask him why he wants a girl hugging a pillow.

And, on a tangentially related note, I often sleep with my arms around a pillow because it's comfortable.

.rai//
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby sharien chan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:53 am

I can kind of see a hidden connotation but probably more because the women in his pictures are scantily clad. I think if you draw someone fully dressed then it would be more cute. But if he seems kind of sketchy then don't do it.
sharien chan

Postby MangArtist » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:00 pm

I don't have a problem with hugging pillows in general. I've hugged countless pillows! XD
But I've accidentally done and said some things that apparently have double meanings so I just want to be careful.
Pascal (post: 1307641) wrote:Thinking about it for a while... I think you should say that art is very prone to your drawing ability at the time... you've been thinking about Star Wars alot lately... and while you weren't able to draw a girl holding a pillow, you were able to catch this individual holding onto a pillow... precisely why falls to the holds of randomness :P.

http://wraithdt.deviantart.com/art/Darth-Vader-116948695

Because... that picture... that mental image you have... that would totally pwn!

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. XD;;;
"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 30:6)

Muh DA page.
MangArtist

Postby minakichan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:13 pm

If it's a request, you're probably free to make is as sexual or Not Sexual as you want. If you think there's nothing weird about hugging a pillow, draw it un-weird-ly.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Paul » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:57 am

My advice is to pray and ask God if he would have you use your artistic abilities to draw the image. Ultimately, to me, it sounds like a basic request and has left the results of the final product to you. If God says it's ok, do the drawing as a Christian artist and leave the purchaser with the thought "No doubt he's a Christain Anime Artist", and the audience who will see it as well. It may be a great opportunity to share your faith through the talent God has given you.

Paul
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby MangArtist » Sat May 02, 2009 11:52 am

Thanks for the input guys. =]

I'm thinking I'll just draw a chibi girl hugging a huge pillow. >_>

Muh DA page.
MangArtist

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sat May 02, 2009 12:18 pm

MangArtist (post: 1308690) wrote:Thanks for the input guys. =]

I'm thinking I'll just draw a chibi girl hugging a huge pillow. >_>

Awww, will you be posting it up in your Mang Stuff Thread ^^?
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat May 02, 2009 12:29 pm

Since he has all the faves of a similar subject, he's probably got some sort of fetish...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby MangArtist » Thu May 14, 2009 2:47 pm

Found out it is a fetish so I'm not going to post it on DA. -_-

Muh DA page.
MangArtist

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu May 14, 2009 3:29 pm

MangArtist (post: 1311933) wrote:Found out it is a fetish so I'm not going to post it on DA. -_-

... He doesn't have a loli fetish does he o.o?

(Chibi doesn't exactly amount to loli, but.. yeah >_>)

Good for you ^^
Tsukuyomi

Postby MangArtist » Fri May 15, 2009 10:31 am

Nah, he likes pictures of girls being pinned to a seat by an airbag. o_o I asked him if it had anything sexual to do with it, but he said he didn't know. I'm guessing it does, cause he made a group of people with the same fetish on Yahoo and it has an age limit on it.

Muh DA page.
MangArtist

Postby Paul » Tue May 19, 2009 7:18 am

Very wise discision made. By doing a little research you learned some facts about your client and decided it wasn't worth compromising your faith over.

Good job.

Paul
"You heart is free. Have the courage to follow it." -Malcom Wallace. (Braveheart)
Paul

Postby MangArtist » Wed May 20, 2009 5:02 am

Thanks. =]

Muh DA page.
MangArtist

Postby Reon » Wed May 20, 2009 5:07 am

Raiden no Kishi (post: 1307744) wrote:Ask him why he wants a girl hugging a pillow.

And, on a tangentially related note, I often sleep with my arms around a pillow because it's comfortable.

.rai//

You my friend = totally rad & rai.
[color="DimGray"]
[SIZE="1"][font="Arial Narrow"]....[/font][/SIZE]
[/color]
Reon

Return to General