New Fullmetal Alchemist anime tv series to premiere in April

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby MasterDias » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Considering Funimation's other streams load faster, I'm inclined to believe this is a result of lots and lots of people watching the episode at once. It was slow for me as well, so I just let the stream load for awhile and it worked out all right.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode for the most part. I hope they tone down Ed's height jokes though. Those were kind of overblown. I don't remember how often it was used early in the manga, but I never really found it very funny.
Also, what was up with the English eyecatches?
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:26 pm

MasterDias (post: 1304117) wrote:Also, what was up with the English eyecatches?

I forgot how unsettling the first time I heard them say FULL METAL ALCHEMIST was.
blkmage

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:28 am

So? What do people think now that the second episode's out? I, for one, think this new anime is going to seriously rock. They stuck so closely to the manga, yet they put in a few of their own ideas and interpretations as well. My only worry now - and it might be assuaged in the episodes to come - is that they won't have some kind of theme music for the brothers, like in the first one. They can't just have the subtitle "Brotherhood" for nothing!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby goldenspines » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Aside from the second episode moving right along at breakneck speed, my impression of this anime hasn't changed. I still have very high hopes for it.

The Lior episode(3) looks promising enough. I never liked the story broken in two in the first series.
goldenspines

Postby Wyntre Rose » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:25 pm

After this second episode, I have to say I'm relieved. When I watched the first episode I was disappointed, since I'd heard this series was going to stick much closer to the manga than the other FMA did, and the first episode...didn't. But! This episode was MUCH more faithful to the original work - nearly exact, so I'm ecstatic! :thumb:

The art style is taking a bit to get used to - this is probably not the best way to describe it, but it feels more like a video/PC game than an anime to me so far. Probably just because I loved the first FMA series so much - and I always felt that the animation in that was spectacular - that anything different is going to be a bit of a jolt at first.

All in all though, I'm happy with it so far! And I have a feeling I know where I'll be for the next...however many Thursdays. lol. Long live Funimation! SO glad they are streaming this right away!

Edit: Oh, and I forgot! The opening/ending themes are spectacular! I especially like the opening. And I said earlier in this that I was having a hard time with the art for the series, but I don't have that problem during the opening...they really went all out in that. I especially like the parts where Riza and Winry look like they are singing along. VERY cool idea. :) I'm such a fangirl.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Sheol777 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 pm

So far so good.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Afkjbitsldwqe!!! :insert fangirl scream here:

I was excited when I watched the first episode, but like Wyntre said, I was kind of like "Wasn't this supposed to be closer to the manga?" After watching it, I understood and was like "Yeah, ok, it will be, but this is like a prologue or something of what's to come." I watched this episode and I got really excited! Now I'm hyped over this. I'll definitely be watching these every Thursday, or some day soon after if for some reason I forget or can't watch it on Thursday! XD

Ok, it did feel a bit rushed though. However, it wasn't too fast passed... even though it was fast paced, it wasn't overboard exactly. One thing though, some of the stuff about their pasts wasn't revealed until a little later in the mangas, but in this series they brought it all out (ok, no ALL but half of it?) in episode 2. In the first series, they started bringing it out in episode 3, but they didn't have all of it there (because it was as close to the manga as the second series is proving to be). Anyway, I agree, it is rushed, but not necessarily unnecessarily so. XD

Bottom Line: I loved it, I still love it, and I don't see me ceasing loving it for a while now. I'm mega excited now! ^_^
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Lady Kenshin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:17 pm

SQUEEE!!!!!!!! OMG! This is so friggin' amazing! YAAAAGGGHHH!!!

(I just watched the first two eps)

The ED brings joy to my heart. Envy as a crudely drawn chibi-person.... soo cute!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Elycien » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:23 pm

Is it just me or was the stream quality better this week? In any case, it was definitely faster, so I'm happy. :3 I don't regret having to give up downloads for this, and I'm glad to support Funimation's great plan to stream this.

Anyway, the second episode definitely reassured me about this series' direction, although I was surprised some things were revealed so early on. And no Bratja, of course. I swear I'll get over that eventually but for now... D: ...well, the score is good, anyway, so I'll be happy with it, I suppose. XD And the OP and ED are excellent! Yay YUI <333

ImageImageImageImageImage
My dragons ^^ Please click!
Elycien

Postby Wyntre Rose » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Hmmm...I have to say, I'm not very enthusiastic about this week's episode. Yeah, it went fast, but I wouldn't have even minded that as much as the change in Rose's character:

[spoiler]Pulling a gun on Ed and Al twice, and actually shooting Al, even though it was done on accident?! And the first time there was the flimsy excuse that Cornello was telling her to, but the second time...she was under no compulsion whatsoever...that just isn't Rose.[/spoiler]

Not to mention that weird thing Cornello changed himself into that looked like a mix between Major Armstrong and that Ice Alchemist from the first episode...

I'll probably be in the minority here, but I was wanting to like this one much more than I did. What's especially disappointing is there were SO many things that were almost directly taken from the pages of the manga (which is exactly what I was hoping for!) but the things that they changed...didn't seem to add anything to the story at all.

*Sigh*
Wyntre Rose

Postby MasterDias » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 pm

I figure the pacing will slow down in a few episodes, once we get closer to the point where the first anime started splitting off. They probably don't want to lose any viewers who start to think it's just going to be a rehash.

I really wish they would tone down the superdeformed comedic moments though. I can't remember (and am too lazy to check) if those were direct adaptations from the manga...but that type of thing works better or is easily overlooked in print anyway. In a TV show, I find it distracting...especially when it's in the middle of an action sequence.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Whitefang » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:52 pm

Wyntre Rose (post: 1306749) wrote:[spoiler]Pulling a gun on Ed and Al twice, and actually shooting Al, even though it was done on accident?! And the first time there was the flimsy excuse that Cornello was telling her to, but the second time...she was under no compulsion whatsoever...that just isn't Rose.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
Her faith was just obliterated and she'd lost all hope in bringing her friend back to life. Her faith in Cornello's god was based entirely on this hope and this promise, I think her actions are pretty justifiable.
[/spoiler]
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:29 pm

I love this. While the first episode was off, but at the same time, I still loved it(I'm a sucker for ice). And by the time I watched it, the second episode was already out.
[spoiler] I just can't wait to see the operation where Mustang kills Lust in the anime. [/spoiler]
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Whitefang » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:24 am

Spoiler tags, Mr. Hat'n'Clogs, please use them. :)
"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby goldenspines » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:08 am

Spoiler fixed. ^
But yes, not everyone knows stuff that far into the story, so keep the important later plot developments in spoiler tags. ^_^
goldenspines

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Oops, sorry about that. Not used to using spoiler tags.

Watched the third episode this morning, it was okay, but I didn't like it as much as in the manga.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Lady Kenshin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:41 am

I have to say... the fact that Ed met that entity during episode 2 makes his episode 3 "atheist speech" very ironic.

Also, is it just me, or are they overdoing the chibi moments? There were moments that shouldn't have been funny that just seemed to get invaded by them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's okay to be a fanfiction author... http://www.fanfiction.net/~loveslabourswon
Lady Kenshin

Postby Sheol777 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 am

Lady Kenshin (post: 1307543) wrote:Also, is it just me, or are they overdoing the chibi moments? There were moments that shouldn't have been funny that just seemed to get invaded by them.

This.

Especially during a fight scene.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:55 am

Lady Kenshin (post: 1307543) wrote:I have to say... the fact that Ed met that entity during episode 2 makes his episode 3 "atheist speech" very ironic.

XD

Well, yeah, but if you think about it, no matter when they revealed that to you in the show, it still happened before he went to Leor, met Rose and gave that speech. So either way, his atheist speech was ironic and a bit contradictory I suppose.

[SPOILER]Though I always have seen that entity as more of a devil type thing that what it actually claimed to be -.-[/SPOILER]
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Lady Kenshin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Fantasy Dreamer (post: 1307553) wrote:Well, yeah, but if you think about it, no matter when they revealed that to you in the show, it still happened before he went to Leor, met Rose and gave that speech. So either way, his atheist speech was ironic and a bit contradictory I suppose.

I guess, but it was still jarring. In fact, this third episode had a lot of jarring elements... I'll keep watching, though... I HAVE FAITH IN ARAKAWA-SENSEI'S CREATION!!!

I just hope they get this right...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lady Kenshin

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:49 pm

Lady Kenshin (post: 1307616) wrote:I guess, but it was still jarring. In fact, this third episode had a lot of jarring elements... I'll keep watching, though... I HAVE FAITH IN ARAKAWA-SENSEI'S CREATION!!!

I just hope they get this right...

Yeah, I agree, but even so. Jarring or not, its closer to the manga than the first one was without being exactly like the manga, which allows surprises for those who have read and/or memorized the mangas cover to cover. XD I'm not nervous yet... just plain excited!

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:43 pm

^Exactly my thoughts! But I wouldn't mind it word for word with the manga either.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby -Frail-Dreams- » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:24 pm

I definetly prefer FMA2 to the original anime. I'm uber excited for the next episode. ^_^

And did anyone else notice in episode 3 that Ed's automail arm occasionally switchs from right to left?
(\(\
(^_^)
(_(")(")
This rabbit is "Bread", he is called "Bread", because he is a bun-ny.
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
I love Jesus more than anything else. W00t!
I agree with Lady Kenshin, it is okay to be a fanfiction author.
-Frail-Dreams-

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Good job in noticing, I didn't see that.

The old anime still pwns though, you're not far enough to see it's awesomeness FD.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby RobinSena » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:56 pm

-Frail-Dreams- (post: 1307798) wrote:And did anyone else notice in episode 3 that Ed's automail arm occasionally switchs from right to left?

Yeah, I did notice that..

I'm enjoying the show quite a bit, I just want them to come faster.. ;)
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:21 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1307799) wrote:The old anime still pwns though, you're not far enough to see it's awesomeness FD.

FD refering to Frail Dreams or me? ^_^ you have to specify if you use the nickname FD for either of us, 'cause I've been 'FD' ever since I got here. XD

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Lady Kenshin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:16 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1307799) wrote:The old anime still pwns though...

Thank you! I'm glad not to be the only one who still loves it with all my heart.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lady Kenshin

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:53 pm

Lady Kenshin (post: 1307999) wrote:Thank you! I'm glad not to be the only one who still loves it with all my heart.

Oh, don't take my excitment and fangirling over the new seires wrong. I still and always will love the original series! As a matter of fact, comparing the new series as far as it has gotten to the old, there are scenes in the old one that I prefer to the new. But this thread is about the new seires, so talking about its awesomeness is to be expected.

But you're right, the old series deserves some mention. The first FMA series was awesomeness on a stick! Through it I discovered, marveled, and adored the series as a whole (including the manga and FMA:Brotherhood!)! ^_^

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Wyntre Rose » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Oh, yes, there are definitely still fans of the original anime out there! *Here's one!!* I still love the old series to bits and pieces, and I doubt that will ever change.

Today's ep of FMA: Brotherhood I liked better than episode 3 - though it's one of the hardest episodes to watch.

I've been wondering when they would mention Youswell, since Youki is going to come into play again one day, and they did mention him. About 5 seconds was devoted to the Youswell mining story! Wow, talk about efficiency! :) Wondering if they'll go any deeper into it or not...we shall see!
Wyntre Rose

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Fantasy Dreamer (post: 1307986) wrote:FD refering to Frail Dreams or me? ^_^ you have to specify if you use the nickname FD for either of us, 'cause I've been 'FD' ever since I got here. XD

Ooops, sorry about that. I was referring to Frail Dreams, and I neglected to think about you. *makes mental note to never say FD again*

Still have yet to watch 4, but it did just come out today, so I'll probably watch it when I finish this episode of Cowboy Bebop :D.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews