I'm going to Ireland and Scotland! =D

Talk about anything in here.

I'm going to Ireland and Scotland! =D

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:18 am

I'm so excited about this, I want to tell as many people as I can (not to brag, but simply because this is the first time I'm going over seas and I want others to join me in celebrating)! Next semester, for 10 days, I'm going on a tour to Ireland and Scotland!

The trip is arranged by my college, and we'll be going during the week of our Fall break next semester. I can't wait! Its going to be so amazing... I'll have to take lots of pictures and share some with you guys.

Has anyone been to either of these places before? I'd love for you to share your experiences! Even if it was Ireland or Scotland, tell me about you travels abroad if you have any!

Words can't express how excited and thrilled I am! ^___________^
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:19 am

I've been to many places, including Scotland. The first time I ever traveled outside of the U.S. (other than Puerto Rico, which I've been to a gazillion times) was spring break in 8th grade. The school band took a tour of Scotland, England, and Iceland. In Scotland, we stayed with host families for a few days, which was a lot of fun. It's a gorgeous country; the air is really fresh. At one point, we visited St. Andrews, which was cool. In England, we stayed in London and saw lots and lots of castles. Actually, most of the places we visited during that entire trips were castles. Iceland was probably the funniest part of the trip, though. First of all, there is a Hard Rock Cafe and we ate there (I have a shirt to prove it). A group of us, including my parents and a couple friends, had to stay behind for some reason so we had to walk back to the hotel. Well, we got lost. Since none of us new how to read Icelandic, we had to find someone to help us. My dad saw this woman and started approaching her. She started to run away and my dad chased her down the street. He finally caught up to her and started pointing to his hotel key only to find out that she was blind. The rest of us lol'd. Of course, we eventually ran into someone else who helped us get back. By the way, Icelandic is a really funny language if you know nothing about it.

I went to England a second time with only my parents the summer before my junior year of high school. This time, we hit up a small town in the country called Holmfirth (where the show Last of the Summer Wine is filmed. That's the only reason my mom wanted to go there, XD). The English countryside is awesome; it's quiet, scenic, and very safe. My favorite part was this sign that was advertising bus tours about the TV show that said "Magical Mystery Tour. Buses leave every hour, but not necessarily on the hour." Anyway, after a few days there, we went to Manchester, which was a huge difference in scenery. I thought it was funny how every other shop was a shoe store. After Manchester, we went to London again and we went on the London Eye, which was nifty because you can see the whole city from there.

My most recent trip abroad was a two month exchange trip to China, which was amazing on many, MANY levels. We stayed in Xi'an, the city famous for the Terracotta Warrior exhibit, with host families and went to school (though we didn't have to do any work). Yes, we got cute uniforms, but I was bummed because they had pants instead of skirts. The food was awesome. Yeah, I didn't know what a lot of it was, but I ate it anyway and it was good for the most part. The language barrier wasn't that bad because our host students spoke English, which was good because we only knew a little Chinese. We saw all sorts of cool things and it really felt like home by the end of the trip. Something like a week before we went home, we went up to Beijing and saw all the famous sites there, including the Great Wall. That part was cool because we decided to go up a section where there were hardly any people. China was such an awesome trip. God really redirected my life there (and I've posted about how He's done this before). Had that not happened, I probably wouldn't have joined CAA and I probably wouldn't have gone to the school I'm going to now.

Long post is long, but traveling is tons of fun. If your luggage gets lost, just laugh (that's what I did when it happened to us in China! XD).

Oh, and you have to try haggis when you go over there. Even if you hate it, you would've at least tried it.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:23 pm

Neat! I've always wanted to visit Europe.
Personally I've only traveled to the New York (two times),and I didn't want to go back to PR cause I just wanted to keep moving,and meeting new people,to live new exeriences in other places. I'm glad for you FD! I think that traveling is an awesome experience for a lot of reasons.

Wow,Rushia has been like everywere. Hey, you're one of the few in CAA who have actually been in Puerto Rico. If you ever get to visit again let me know. It'd be awesome to meet someone from the forums in person. *cough* now an official Mod.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby ADXC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Man, Ive always wanted to go to Ireland or anywhere else in Europe. Have a great time!

But I will be going to New York this coming week so Im not too downtrodden! XD
ADXC

Postby Fish and Chips » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:33 pm

Scotland is a beautiful country, though be sure to pack prepared for the weather.

I would assume Ireland is similarly nice, but as I've never traveled there, who can say.
Fish and Chips

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:39 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1305486) wrote:Oh, and you have to try haggis when you go over there. Even if you hate it, you would've at least tried it.

Wow, you get around! As for the haggis, I'm not sure about that. We are going to a dinner and show type place and haggis is on the menu! I might skip it though... I don't think I'm brave enough to try it! XD

Thanks guys! ^_^
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:25 pm

FantasyDreamer wrote:Wow, you get around! As for the haggis, I'm not sure about that. We are going to a dinner and show type place and haggis is on the menu! I might skip it though... I don't think I'm brave enough to try it! XD

Thanks guys! ^_^

See, you don't have a choice. I said you HAVE to try haggis.

No really, I'm sure someone else will order it and if they do then taste it.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:34 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1305921) wrote:See, you don't have a choice. I said you HAVE to try haggis.

No really, I'm sure someone else will order it and if they do then taste it.

>_> Noo, please!! Lol I might try it... if I'm hungry and no one tells me what it is first. XD

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:46 pm

WOW! That does sound super exciting! :D I'm planning on going overseas for the first time next year too so I know how exciting it can be. I also know how scary it can be.... 0_o

Be sure to let us know how it was!!!
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:49 pm

That's really cool!

Now I'm waiting for Midori to show up and list the places he's been. That will make for an interesting read, i would think.
Mithrandir

Postby Midori » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:40 am

Hmm. I could list them but I don't know if I could describe them. I haven't been to nearly as many places as my dad. :|

- Somewhere in Canada (a looong time ago)
- Various places in Wales and England
Friendly, lots of cool castle and cathedrals, don't order a "tuna sandwich" (order a "tuna salad sandwich" instead). London has a very nice subway system. It's much nicer than driving a car.
- Kawa'i and the Big Island in Hawaii
Kawa'i has a wonderful smell and lots of plants. Nice place to be. The Big Island has active volcanoes and bizzare lava flows, though I didn't see any live hot lava.
- Nairobi, Kenya (for five months no less); Also, Mombasa, Kenya.
Stayed at Africa Nazarene University near Nairobi. It's like another planet where everything is more real. Recommended. Also, the ocean at Mombasa is very warm and reeeally comfortable. Be prepared to turn down aggressive souvenir vendors.
- Fanning Island in the Pacific
Small island with population 2500. It's ring-shaped, around a large lagoon that is very fun to swim in.
- Tokyo, Japan
Well, you oughta know how this is. :) Familiar and strange at the same time. Very good food, unique culture, beautiful landscape. Stayed in Odaiba for a while...you know those pictures of Sci-fi cities with all the platforms and layers and things? Odaiba's like that. Like London, Tokyo has a very nice public transportation system. I envy those kinds of places.

I think there may have been some other places, but I don't remember. I can't give a long description of each, but I can answer specific questions. Actually, I might write longer about some of these places later if I decide I have enough round tuits.

@Fanta: I expect Ireland and Scotland will be very cool! Tell us about it when you get back!
Midori

Postby Lil_Ninja » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:07 am

I've never been to either.. But I'm PART Irish and Scottish.. Does that count??.. 8D
[SIZE="5"][color="Blue"]~[/color][color="Lime"]K[/color][color="Blue"]Y[/color][color="Lime"]L[/color][color="blue"]L[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]H[/color][color="lime"]A[/color][color="blue"]N[/color][color="blue"]~[/color][/SIZE]
[color="cyan"][SIZE="5"]42[/SIZE][/color]
[color="royalBlue"][SIZE="1"]The meaning of life,
the universe,
and everything.[/SIZE][/color]
Lil_Ninja

Postby Smile:) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 am

Aww, I'm gonna miss ya that week! =(

But I hope you have a ton of fun!
And show us pics! ^.^

Wow, Midori, You've been alot of places! Any reason other then just a love of travel?
[color="Lime"]I[/color] [color="Lime"]You People![/color]
Smile:)

Location: In wonderland having tea with the Mad Hatter, and the March Hare. It's our unbirthdays!

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:34 am

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1305934) wrote:WOW! That does sound super exciting! :D I'm planning on going overseas for the first time next year too so I know how exciting it can be. I also know how scary it can be.... 0_o

Be sure to let us know how it was!!!

Where are you going overseas to, mysn?

Lil_Ninja (post: 1305983) wrote:I've never been to either.. But I'm PART Irish and Scottish.. Does that count??.. 8D

Really? That's cool! =)

Smile, I'm glad to hear I"ll be missed, and I'd say I'll miss all of you, but its just a week and I'll probably be way to busy to miss you! No offense, I'll probably way to busy and having way too much fun to miss even my family, so don't take it the wrong way! I'm sure you can understand. And as for all of you who said "tell us all about it when you get back" I definitely will! And pictures will be a must. I'll have to upload them to my DA so I can link you to one place and you scroll through them, otherwise the post here would be way to long, 'cause I plan on taking lots of pictures! This is the first time after 20 years of life that I"ve gotten the opportunity to go abroad, and I don't know when/if I"ll ever get to do it again, so lots and lots of pictures WILL be take! That's a promise! =)

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Smile:) » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:44 am

Fantasy Dreamer wrote:Smile, I'm glad to hear I"ll be missed, and I'd say I'll miss all of you, but its just a week and I'll probably be way to busy to miss you! No offense, I'll probably way to busy and having way too much fun to miss even my family, so don't take it the wrong way! I'm sure you can understand.

:lol: I understand!
I hope you do have too much fun to miss anyone! ^.^
[color="Lime"]I[/color] [color="Lime"]You People![/color]
Smile:)

Location: In wonderland having tea with the Mad Hatter, and the March Hare. It's our unbirthdays!

Postby animaniac » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:05 am

i have a HUGE fear of heights!so a plane would make me sick :(
thats odd because i ride rollercoasters!
:dance:i like bannas because they have no bones:dance:
animaniac

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:06 am

Even if you don't drink it you should go on a whisky-tour in Scotland at a distillery. It's all part of the Scottish experience, much like visiting Loch Ness, which I can also recommend. Inverness (the largest city near Loch Ness) is a fine place to visit and stay in, but so is Edinburgh, which is a more beautiful city. Edinburgh, like any good British city, is a good place to get lost in because that's a good way to explore the city.

Another place (relatively close to Edinburgh) to visit is the Rosslyn Chapel, a very strange architectural wonder, known for its strange connections to the Knight's Templar, the Holy Grail and (in recent years, unfortunately) the Da Vinci Code. Despite the latter connection (which the town of Roslin, Midlothian is really cashing in on) it is still a beautiful church and is definitely worth a look. The surrounding area is also pretty beautiful as well filled with ancient stone villages and castles.

Doune Castle is also a nice place (near Sterling) to check out if you're a Monty Python fan because that's the castle they used for most of the exterior castle shots in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, except for Camelot (which is not a model but a cut-out) and Castle Aaaaaaaargh. If not a fan, definitely go to Edinburgh castle, which is a good place to visit to get a hold of Scottish history. Also, every day (except sundays) at one o'clock they fire a gun over the city for some reason, which is cool.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Fantasy Dreamer (post: 1305986) wrote:Where are you going overseas to, mysn?

Italy and Greece.
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 pm

animaniac (post: 1305991) wrote:i have a HUGE fear of heights!so a plane would make me sick :(
thats odd because i ride rollercoasters!

That is odd. I've never been on a plane before, but I'm not scared of heights either, so I should be fine. Another reason I'm excited about the trip is because it'll be my first time flying. ^_^

bigsleepj (post: 1305992) wrote: but so is Edinburgh, which is a more beautiful city. Edinburgh, like any good British city, is a good place to get lost in because that's a good way to explore the city.

If not a fan, definitely go to Edinburgh castle, which is a good place to visit to get a hold of Scottish history. Also, every day (except sundays) at one o'clock they fire a gun over the city for some reason, which is cool.

We will be going to Edinburgh! And we will be visiting/seeing/touring Edinburgh castle! I'm looking forward to it... I love castles and I've always wanted to see a 'real' one!

mysngoeshere56 (post: 1306027) wrote:Italy and Greece.

That's cool! My room mate went there last fall on a previous abroad trip sponsored by our school. She had a blast. It was a 10 day trip as well, and she had so much fun and so many fun stories to tell when she got back. She's going on this trip as well, and her sister (who is a good friend of mine as well). Not to mention, several of my friends are going on the trip, so I'm even more excited! Its going to be so much fun... *sigh* I can't wait!

My DA account
My MAL

Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Midori » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 pm

Smile:) wrote:Wow, Midori, You've been alot of places! Any reason other then just a love of travel?
My parents go to a lot of conferences, because my dad is well-known in the computer programming world, and sometimes I come along. They are currently in Oslo, Norway.
Midori

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Midori (post: 1306153) wrote:...currently in Oslo, Norway.

So *that's* why we had no drummer. :D
Mithrandir

Return to General