President Gives Queen Elizabeth II An iPod

Talk about anything in here.

President Gives Queen Elizabeth II An iPod

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:39 pm

What do you give the monarch that has everything? An iPod, of course!

http://tinyurl.com/iPodQueen

For those who don't want to click, basically President and First Lady Obama visited Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and, like any generous guest, they brought her a gift--an Apple iPod complete with photos and Broadway showtunes including "People" and my personal favorite "Aquarius".
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby ADXC » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Oh yeah, I heard about this on the radio today. Although Im not completely sure giving a queen an iPod is an entirely appropriate gift, I do think it is kind of cool and fun to hear about.
ADXC

Postby Jingo Jaden » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:53 pm

I heard he gave Gordon Brown a dvd set..... Which had the wrong region code. That one is worse in my opinion.
Of two evils, choose neither - Charles Spurgeon.

Jingo Jaden

Postby Midori » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Let's be careful in this thread, okay? :P

I heard an American church gave the current pope an iPod as a gift when he was visiting, and that he really liked it.
Midori

Postby USSRGirl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:51 pm

Foreign affairs at their best... and not even a single Sting song? :shake:
USSRGirl

Postby Whitefang » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:10 pm

I also heard it had some of President Obama's speeches in it. As well as pictures from the Queen's visit to the States last year.

I mean...

"It's not easy to act in the name of justice."

"Justice is not the only right in this world"
Whitefang

Postby Peanut » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Hmm...didn't know the Queen was a fan of showtunes...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ADXC » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:16 pm

Well at least she's not Amish! O-boy, I wonder what would happen then.
ADXC

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:52 pm

*face palm*
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Whitefang (post: 1302832) wrote:I also heard it had some of President Obama's speeches in it. As well as pictures from the Queen's visit to the States last year.

I mean...

LoL.

Ok, so I understand it would be hard to think of a gift for the queen of england, but really? And Ipod? Does she even have a use for such a thing? Lol, maybe she'll give it to her grand kids?
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby ich1990 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:05 pm

Obama needs better taste in music.

Also, CADIE could have done better.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Roy Mustang » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:18 pm

I have $10 that God save the queen is on her Ipod list. XD

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Red"]Col. Roy Mustang[/color][/font]
Roy Mustang

Postby Sparx00 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:50 pm

I can't help that the queen went, "Ohhh... That's interesting..." in her mind.

He should've gave the queen a rose along with the iPod. I think a life size stained glass rose would be a cool gift.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby blkmage » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:16 pm

Considering the Queen already owns an iPod, I'd say that the contents of the iPod are more significant than the fact that it's an iPod. Other than whatever music they put on there, there's also photos and video of her visit to Virginia in 2007 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the settlement of Jamestown. Suddenly, it's become a lot more meaningful.
blkmage

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:23 pm

I just think it's hilarious that she gave them a signed photo of herself and the Duke...

Trufax. XD
Q.E :"Oh Thaks for the Ipod...ummm all I have to give you is this photo of me... enjoy! 8D/
B.O:....
M.O: .....
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:02 pm

I just think it was an incredibly slow day in the newsroom.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:11 pm

...and then Scott Baio gave all of them pinkeye.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:32 pm

blkmage (post: 1302894) wrote:Considering the Queen already owns an iPod, I'd say that the contents of the iPod are more significant than the fact that it's an iPod. Other than whatever music they put on there, there's also photos and video of her visit to Virginia in 2007 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the settlement of Jamestown. Suddenly, it's become a lot more meaningful.

And, PAL and NTSC don't matter XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:56 am

Well... all Obama got in return was an autographed portrait of the Prince and Queen... I'd say Obama got the short end of the stick on that exchange. I'd trade people an autographed picture of myself for an ipod....

If I was going to give someone a gift I thought had everything, I'd make them something very nice. They wont have it and even if it isn't the greatest of it's kind, at least they know you put a little work in it so it means a little more.
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Fantasy Dreamer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:10 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1302902) wrote:I just think it was an incredibly slow day in the newsroom.

:lol:
"Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord!" - Psalm 31:24

"MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll."

My Fanfiction.net account
My DA account
My MAL

"An XD a post will keep humor at its most." - Goldenspines <3
Fantasy Dreamer

Postby Sparx00 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:58 am

Why is it that nobody has brought up the fact that the picture frame was made of silver? Thats pretty valuable with silver going up in value nowadays.
You wish you could shred like me.
Sparx00

Postby KagayakiWashi » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:59 am

Kaligraphic (post: 1302904) wrote:...and then Scott Baio gave all of them pinkeye.

Hahahahahahaha. Poor Scott Baio.....not in charge of much of anything any more is he?
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Bobtheduck » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:49 pm

This whole thing reeks of 20 kinds of absurd in pretty much every direction...

That's pretty much all I have to say about the subject.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1303038) wrote:This whole thing reeks of 20 kinds of absurd in pretty much every direction...

That's pretty much all I have to say about the subject.

Lol, I guess it's the thought that counts XD
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:30 am

Ah, what a savvy political gesture! Because much of Obama's political prestige and connection with the American public has been built by way of his solid grasp of electronic media (FDR too gained much of his connection with the citizens he governed by way of regular radio broadcasts), he presents the Queen of England with a sleek and elegantly loaded iPod as a symbol of the new presidency. Not bad at all!

Roy Mustang (post: 1302882) wrote:I have $10 that God save the queen is on her Ipod list. XD
So you think the Queen of England is a closeted fan of The Sex Pistols? Who knows, maybe seeing a picture of yourself with a safety pin up your nose is a good kick in the butt that reminds you not to take yourself too seriously.
GhostontheNet

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:34 am

Jaden Mental (post: 1302813) wrote:I heard he gave Gordon Brown a dvd set..... Which had the wrong region code. That one is worse in my opinion.

Actually, despite region coding, most British and European DVD players can play American DVD's. I would know, since I import DVD's by the gallon.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:36 am

That's true. It's pretty standard for Aussie DVD players too (or at least you can get a code very easily to make it possible).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:04 am

GhostontheNet (post: 1303125) wrote: So you think the Queen of England is a closeted fan of The Sex Pistols? Who knows, maybe seeing a picture of yourself with a safety pin up your nose is a good kick in the butt that reminds you not to take yourself too seriously.

I think this was referring to the ORIGINAL God Save the Queen, aka the national anthem of the UK. I don't think the queen would appreciate punk much, myself...

bigsleepj (post: 1303126) wrote:Actually, despite region coding, most British and European DVD players can play American DVD's. I would know, since I import DVD's by the gallon.

Also, every single PS2 in existence can play discs from other regions, if you have an Action Replay. Playing PAL on an NTSC TV, or vice versa, on the other hand, may be the real issue. I'm not sure if MPEG-2 carries actual TV signals like that, or if (like most modern formats) it's strictly a computer format, but I seem to remember hearing about PAL vs NTSC issues on even region free DVD players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:38 am

I've bought some Region 1 NTSC dvds before and they've worked fine but they just have a noticeably lower resolution than PAL (and run a little slower).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:24 pm

Bobtheduck (post: 1303130) wrote:Also, every single PS2 in existence can play discs from other regions, if you have an Action Replay. Playing PAL on an NTSC TV, or vice versa, on the other hand, may be the real issue. I'm not sure if MPEG-2 carries actual TV signals like that, or if (like most modern formats) it's strictly a computer format, but I seem to remember hearing about PAL vs NTSC issues on even region free DVD players.

A lot of older TV's had problems but they weren't big. Usually VHS and DVD's worked and the worst was that images were muddier than PAL videos, but it seems that most of our modern TV's compensate for that. Our old TV always showed the images as slightly paler, but I had no such problem on our new TV.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Next

Return to General