The cancer afflicting CAA

Talk about anything in here.

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:40 pm

But what's wrong with CAA being a hangout place? Why does everything have to be srs bzns all the time? I thought the whole point of CAA was to be a place where Christian anime fans could hang out. If you're looking for something more serious, maybe you should look somewhere else.

Also sex jokes are not tolerated on these boards that I know of.

The cancer seems to have spread to this thread, too.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:45 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1301749) wrote:But what's wrong with CAA being a hangout place? Why does everything have to be srs bzns all the time? I thought the whole point of CAA was to be a place where Christian anime fans could hang out. If you're looking for something more serious, maybe you should look somewhere else.

Also sex jokes are not tolerated on these boards that I know of.

The cancer seems to have spread to this thread, too.

If you equate levity with godliness, then perhaps it has.

I'm done. I've loved this "church", and I'll continue to do so, but there isn't anything that will come from contributing to this illness that seems to be so widely endorsed. Time to go back to staying in my little portions and wait for a more positive change.

Sorry I cannot resolve my hopes with yours, I truly, truly am.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby Sheol777 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Serious thread is full of textwalls :bang:
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:49 pm

I guess that no matter what you do, internets really is srs bzns.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:56 pm

How ironic that a thread decrying serious business has itself turned into serious business.

So to utilize the three R's...

EDIT: CURSE YOU PHOTOBUCKET FOR REMOVING MY FUNNY PICTURE. I will exact revenge one day. *shakes fist*

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Peanut » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:03 pm

Zarn...Zarn...Zarn...what are we going to do with you...you know what, I'm not even going to say what I was going to say here. Except...you have too much serious my friend...and that...what Nate just posted was completely appropriate for the situation...you can hate me for saying that later...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby Cognitive Gear » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Zarn Ishtare (post: 1301755) wrote:If you equate levity with godliness, then perhaps it has.

I'm done. I've loved this "church", and I'll continue to do so, but there isn't anything that will come from contributing to this illness that seems to be so widely endorsed. Time to go back to staying in my little portions and wait for a more positive change.

Sorry I cannot resolve my hopes with yours, I truly, truly am.

I'm not certain that we are all talking about the same thing. As far as I can see, no one here is saying that CAA is not a place for serious discussions or to talk about the struggles of living in a fallen world. Rather, I see many members sharing the opinion that many humorous or "escapist" topics are being taken far too seriously. It is one thing to have fun, in depth conversations about fictional character battles, and quite another to get angry or hurt because someone does not share your opinion on the matter.

I do see where you are coming from, though. When someone posts a genuine concern they have, it's fairly off-putting to have it met with a simple image macro rather than a personalized, less aggressive response than image macros can offer.

Now, because I think that this topic is in need of less walls of text and more... something:

EDIT: Apparently I am wrong. Left intact, however.
Cognitive Gear

Postby Kaligraphic » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:29 pm

As a thought, why must levity mean only memes and macros? Perhaps the problem is not just that we take people's posts too seriously, but that we take ourselves too seriously. Do we really feel that it's our duty to convert everybody on the Internet to the correct opinion? Must we fight every battle, wage every war, argue every disagreement? If we do(n't) like the thought of a Colbert module, what is the value of that opinion? Is our preference so terribly important that we must crusade for its acceptance on the Internet?

Let us give all due weight to the issues that come up, but let us not forget that we are individuals interacting with individuals. The weight of the world doesn't rest on our every opinion. In all likelihood, what we discuss here will only affect those of us who enter that particular thread. NASA won't name the module Colbert or Serenity solely on our say-so. So why make it a Jihad? Why must we take up all the worst traditions and strap Internet explosives to our bodies to make a point?

I submit that, rather than simply derailing anything and everything with memes and macros, we can still address things with some level of srs. All we have to do is, before we compose our posts, ask ourselves "what is the value of my opinion in this context?"

After all, none of us wants to end up like this guy:

Personally, I'd rather lose an argument and win a friend than win an argument and lose a friend.

But enough srs from me, let the lolwuts commence!

*edit* laser bear ftw! */edit*
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:38 am

I think the problem is that Zarn expects a service from CAA it was never intended to fulfill. The board is first and foremost a community, and a hobbyist one at that. We're here because we enjoy Anime and Manga, something many new members profess that had no idea other Christians were into. To that niche within a niche, we're very warm and welcoming. And should we, as Christians, learn and grow in the company of our extended family in Christ, that's fine. Actually, it's wonderful. However, to think that that is the main purpose of the site is a grave mistake, and I fear Zarn has taken it for something it is not. Perhaps Ashley will correct me, but CAA was never intended to replace Church and local Christian fellowship, accent them though it might inadvertently.

Suppose you're standing in line for movie tickets, and you bump into the guy in front of you. You excuse yourselves and discover you're both Christians. So you begin talking. There is no limit to the sort of things you might have discussed in that small time frame. You might have even grown as a person from it. A chance meeting! But, that is not the reason you were standing in line. You were in line for the movie.

That is CAA, at least as I see it. This thread isn't here because we need moar lulz, or to address inadequacies in fellowship, it's here because grown men decided to argue about the naming of a room in a space station after two names from the pop culture handbook. Vehemently. On the Internet.

We love Christ, and also enjoy some Anime on the side. And if this tenuous relationship opens to door for genuine fellowship, you're more than welcome to it; but to proclaim this as the underlying purpose of CAA is a misappropriation of the site's priorities, and undermines the importance of real Christian fellowship.
Fish and Chips

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:11 am

OK, I'm done being mad, and feel free to call me a hypocrite for posting in the thread again. Let me calmly explain where I was coming from.

It's just that that sort of thing kinda bugs me. You know, it's like "can't we all just get along?" Cos we can't. Each individual is flawed and a group, no matter how well it functions overall, will still never get to the point where it runs perfectly 100% of the time. Griping about it and trying to set everyone straight won't fix the situation. Nothing will.

With that said and my own serious bidness out of the way . . .

If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:29 pm

It's also important to note that so often people may use humor to convey a deeper meaning, i.e. satirical humor.

Just my two cents.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Dante » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:21 pm

Zarn.

Inventor of the phrase:
"You fail. At Life. And Everything."
and attacher of this phrase to any animate or inanimate object in the universe...

Is now sadly reduced to the following phrase as a self description:
"Zarn Ishtare Fails. At THE GAME. And the Internetz."

But we love him anyways :P. 'Cause he wins at life and everything else.

ZARN GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE AND REALIZE WHAT FORM OF THREAD YOUR POSTING IN!!! YOU MAY AS WELL BE TRYING TO ARGUE TEMULIN OFF THE THROWN!!! Marine or not a Marine... If your acting like this your still just a 19 year old kid. (Uses his own age to assault Zarn with Ageism in a further immature manner that makes Pascal seem even younger the Zarn... its all a ploy... Pascal will be 23 tomorrow and only wants to be 22... so making himself seem younger by acting less mature is his secret to eternal youth. I WIN I WIN MWAH HA HA HA HAA!!! I WIN TEH INTERNETZ)
FKA Pascal
Dante

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:25 am

SpoonyBard wrote:It's just that that sort of thing kinda bugs me. You know, it's like "can't we all just get along?" Cos we can't. Each individual is flawed and a group, no matter how well it functions overall, will still never get to the point where it runs perfectly 100% of the time. Griping about it and trying to set everyone straight won't fix the situation. Nothing will.

Oh no no no! I think you misunderstand me. XD

I know that we are all fallen, and despite being siblings in Christ, we will fight and quarrel and disagree. It's sad, but it's the truth of this world we live in. While not fighting is good, and we shouldn't, it's gonna happen every once in a while.

What I'm saying is, even if we argue and disagree, to not get too serious about it, especially if it's something not worth being honestly mad about. I'll give an example.

I posted in the Zelda: Spirit Tracks thread, giving my opinion on what's wrong with Zelda games, and a breakdown of bosses in LttP. If someone disagrees with me, I may argue with them a bit, but I won't be SERIOUS about it. Because it's not worth getting serious about, you know? That's what I'm saying, to not like...think that someone having a different opinion is a matter of life and death, even if you think they're totally wrong.

I mean I hated Valkyria Chronicles, straight up. I think everyone who likes it is wrong to like it. But I don't care enough to sit there and flame them or anything. Because it's not worth being serious about, you know? And I'll still say "I think this is a terrible game and here are the reasons why" but I won't get offended if they say "Dude, I love this game, and you're flat out wrong." I won't go serious business on them.

I hope that clears it up.

Nate

Postby SnoringFrog » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:39 am

90% of threads Savannah posts - Yes

Only 90%?Wow. lol.

I know what you mean though, even if I'm not around here to post much. Good points.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby Midori » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:19 am

There is too much tenseness here, and too much us getting on Zarn's case. Remember that you don't show that you care by posting in these threads, you show it by taking the message to heart and being nice to others, even if they seem like they're not being nice to you.

Remember Luke 6:32-36
Midori

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:38 am

Forgive me if this is out of line, off-topic, or otherwise uncalled for, but something I find odd about this place lately is the amount of negativity that has been displayed in helpful threads like this one and Goldie's "New Members" thread. Seriously, what is the deal? Why all the hate? Is there some underlying problem that needs to be put out in the open? Will every thread on CAA turn to a bunch of arguing, bickering and whining? Is this really what we want? Is this really what God wants?

I'm not pointing fingers; everyone has done it, I've done it. That's not the point. The point is that unless we want to kill this community dead, it needs to stop, or at least be toned down considerably. Joking around is fine, but...

Here's what I think. If you're feeling negative about a particular thread, think about it long and hard before you express that negativity. At least try to be tactful about it, no? Will voicing your dissent completely derail the thread? Is there something positive you can say to balance it out? Or would it be better to keep it to yourself?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby chibiphonebooth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:23 am

[quote="ShiroiHikari (post: 1302115)"]Forgive me if this is out of line, off-topic, or otherwise uncalled for, but something I find odd about this place lately is the amount of negativity that has been displayed in helpful threads like this one and Goldie's "New Members" thread. Seriously, what is the deal? Why all the hate? Is there some underlying problem that needs to be put out in the open? Will every thread on CAA turn to a bunch of arguing, bickering and whining? Is this really what we want? Is this really what God wants?

I'm not pointing fingers]

i agree! i've read this whole thread and it started off on a good note, and now its going downhill really fast. this is supposed to be a helpful thread to point out things, but in the last like.. 2 pages, everyone's gotten really on edge. take a chill pill, guys. no one is pointing at only you and going 'ITS YOUR FAULT CAA IS GETTING BAD." its everyone.

so before you type something mean, sarcastic, or condescending- get out of your chair, step away from the computer, maybe go get a glass of water and calm down. Collect your thoughts. i don't think anyone here really wants to hurt anyone's feelings.

if it helps, pretend what you are about to write to someone was actually written to you. then re-examine what you are about to write.
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:12 pm

ShiroiHikari (post: 1302115) wrote:Forgive me if this is out of line, off-topic, or otherwise uncalled for, but something I find odd about this place lately is the amount of negativity that has been displayed in helpful threads like this one and Goldie's "New Members" thread. Seriously, what is the deal? Why all the hate? Is there some underlying problem that needs to be put out in the open? Will every thread on CAA turn to a bunch of arguing, bickering and whining? Is this really what we want? Is this really what God wants?

I'm not pointing fingers]

chibiphonebooth (post: 1302129) wrote:i agree! i've read this whole thread and it started off on a good note, and now its going downhill really fast. this is supposed to be a helpful thread to point out things, but in the last like.. 2 pages, everyone's gotten really on edge. take a chill pill, guys. no one is pointing at only you and going 'ITS YOUR FAULT CAA IS GETTING BAD." its everyone.

so before you type something mean, sarcastic, or condescending- get out of your chair, step away from the computer, maybe go get a glass of water and calm down. Collect your thoughts. i don't think anyone here really wants to hurt anyone's feelings.

if it helps, pretend what you are about to write to someone was actually written to you. then re-examine what you are about to write.

Quoting both of these because they're extremely similar to how I feel on the subject right now. Come on, guys; I stickied this thread because I thought that what it had to say was excellent and should be read by everyone. I'm considering taking it down now, because the posts have taken such a negative turn. Is that the kind of impression we really want to give people? That we're such a negative community? I agree with Savannah; I think we all need to take a step back and pretend that what we're writing to others is being written to us first. Think of it as a variation of the Golden Rule and start acting toward others how you want others to act towards you.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:09 pm

"Treat otheres the way you want to be treated."

I try to live (right word?) by this rule (right word?), but it can be hard sometimes. Sometimes, I do just want to snap back but I know that will just make things worst <__>

@Corrie: I think you should keep this stickied up. It's a great reminder/example of how things can get off track. Hopefully, it will also help remind us what happens when things do get off topic ^^;

(Note: We're all guilty of steering a topic away from it's original post. I've done it a few times :sweat:)
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Nate » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:25 pm

Now let's forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream!

Nate

Postby Tsukuyomi » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 pm

Nate (post: 1302267) wrote:Now let's forget our troubles with a big bowl of strawberry ice cream!

I like chocolate better, though xP

(My favorite is choco-mint 8D~~~)
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby LadyRushia » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:07 am

Strawberry and/or chocolate chip cookie dough works for me.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Peanut » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:34 am

I don't care what the nutritionist/psychologists say, drowning your troubles in Ice Cream is good...
CAA's Resident Starcraft Expert

goldenspines wrote:Its only stealing if you don't get caught.
Peanut

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:21 am

Rocky Road! *omnomnom*
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby chibiphonebooth » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:32 am

i like mint chocolate chip. that's my favooorritteeeee.

oh and cake batter. that one is good too.
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 am

I was disappointed in cake batter. I was expecting something amazing but it kinda just tasted like vanilla chocolate swirl. Still good though! But I'll tell you what, that Americone Dream flavor, the one in honor of Stephen Colbert? That is FANTASTIC.

Wait, I just inadvertently brought up Stephen Colbert again! THE MAN IS EVERYWHERE.

Nate

Postby chibiphonebooth » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 am

no have you had the coldstone version? its AMMAAZZZIINNGGG
ImageImageImage

chibiphonebooth

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:23 am

The Cold Stone version of cake batter ice cream is the ultimate.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nate » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:23 am

We don't have a Coldstone here. u.u BUT IF I DID I WOULD SO HAVE IT.

Nate

Postby Tsukuyomi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52 am

Gaaaaaaah, I so want to try the American Dream one, but we don't have it here :sniffle: I heard they have a drum stick version of choco-mint that I really really want to try 8D~~~
Tsukuyomi

Previous Next

Return to General